Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

GreenBuckanneer posted:

A couple youtubers did a test of this and they found it might stain the sponge but it doesn't mix in with your actual paint

I've watched these, Squidmar is ok, but Miniac seems like someone I'd actively want to hang out with

He seems ok on livestreams but his level of YouTube personality causes me to avoid his videos whenever possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I've watched a few of his videos but that YouTube Persona stuff just irritates me so much I tend to avoid his content as well.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I primarily like his way of speaking, and the humor is entertaining. I don't otherwise watch youtube except for music and john oliver or videos of cats, so I don't have any frame of reference otherwise for "youtube personalities" because I don't watch pinkypie or whatever those stupid idiots are. :shrug:

the death metal vocals related to minis helps too because it's catchy

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I went back and watched that wet palette video of his that you quoted, it's just poo poo like his insistence on making those awful mouth noises every time he says "Moist" that makes me want to immediately close the video.

This one isn't nearly as egregious as the videos of his I watched about airbrushing when I bought mine last year, but generally from Youtube Tutorials I prefer them more dry and to the point.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

The pinnacle of YouTube minipainting tutorials is Marco Frisoni. Even my partner, who isn't interested in minipainting whatsoever, will watch an NJM video with me because he's fun to listen to and explains things very technically/accurately, and his jokes are generally funny and don't mess with the flow of the video.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The only funny youtube minipainter is dana howl, everyone else who tries to do comedy doesn’t click with me at all

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verisimilidude posted:

The pinnacle of YouTube minipainting tutorials is Marco Frisoni. Even my partner, who isn't interested in minipainting whatsoever, will watch an NJM video with me because he's fun to listen to and explains things very technically/accurately, and his jokes are generally funny and don't mess with the flow of the video.

I really like his video on eyes because the printout of his face was such a good teaching tool for showing eye position

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Verisimilidude posted:

Also he's got a Goon-level neckbeard so that has to count for something.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Zumikito Miniatures can fly a bit close to obnoxious youtube personality but his 5 minute explanations give a pretty good overview of a painting concept if you’re not familiar with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0z5DHADF4M

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

midwinter minis is funny when his girlfriend gets involved and spends the entire video complaining about how much she hates 40k and painting and everything to do with the hobby

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Winklebottom posted:

Zumikito Miniatures can fly a bit close to obnoxious youtube personality but his 5 minute explanations give a pretty good overview of a painting concept if you’re not familiar with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0z5DHADF4M

I get very weird CHUD vibes from this guy. His videos are pretty useful and short (which is good), but there's been a handful of times where he said something a little worrying politically. I hope he's just trying to be edgy and it doesn't go much further than that.

But I generally think his videos are solid in terms of content.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

midwinter minis is funny when his girlfriend gets involved and spends the entire video complaining about how much she hates 40k and painting and everything to do with the hobby

She always seems like she's teetering on just moving out. I can't tell if its sarcasm or a cry for help.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

they’re about to have twins in like 2 months so let’s hope it’s the former

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

I get very weird CHUD vibes from this guy. His videos are pretty useful and short (which is good), but there's been a handful of times where he said something a little worrying politically. I hope he's just trying to be edgy and it doesn't go much further than that.

There's more than a few painters I would not be surprised to be at least slightly CHUDy but for the most part they all seem to be aggressively non-political.

The guy that does the 'eavy contrast series has a bit about how he hates painting blue and called his live stream painters against blue and the first stream was right around the time of the biggest protests last year and he did do a post clarifying that his stream wasn't anti-police but I'm not sure how revealing it was about his personal politics vs fear of backlash.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely agree. Nothing really overt, just a weird vibe here and there.

I do quite like the 5 minute explanations so I hope it’s just a bad attempt at manic youtube personality.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Why is nobody mentioning my man Vince Venturella?

As far as content go, he's probably got one of the largest library of tutorials and I love how he explains stuff. He just dumbs it down, and he seems to always figure out what you want to ask. And it's clearly, clearly not over-produced which for me is a big plus.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Miniac does a podcast with his friend Jon that is worth listening to as general hobby stuff goes. I'd say watch it on youtube rather than Spotify or whatever as they show a lot of models and then link the images in the show notes.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Furism posted:

As far as content go, he's probably got one of the largest library of tutorials and I love how he explains stuff. He just dumbs it down, and he seems to always figure out what you want to ask. And it's clearly, clearly not over-produced which for me is a big plus.

I wish Vince would put off buying his 87th AoS army and invest in a slightly better setup

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

I wish Vince would put off buying his 87th AoS army and invest in a slightly better setup

Yeah, he’s great and his airbrush cleaning vid saved my life but he could do with a new microphone

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I went back and watched that wet palette video of his that you quoted, it's just poo poo like his insistence on making those awful mouth noises every time he says "Moist" that makes me want to immediately close the video.

This one isn't nearly as egregious as the videos of his I watched about airbrushing when I bought mine last year, but generally from Youtube Tutorials I prefer them more dry and to the point.

I mean, he's clearly doing that on purpose because it riles people up, which is funny to me

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Furism posted:

Vince is definitely my favorite. I did watch one of Dana's videos and I liked her, she seemed similarly "chill and to the point", dunno why I didn't go back for more.

My only complaint is that his stuff is called Hobby Cheating and like that just mega underplays how skilled he is :v: I tried to follow along his Jungle Bases tutorial and mine came out like poo poo

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Another vote for Vince (we're voting, right?). His videos are a fantastic resource. No youtube personality poo poo. No production values, other than what is needed to get the point across, which lets him churn out more videos. Whenever I've wanted to learn a new technique, Vince has a 25 minute video that starts by explaining the basics before moving on to the more advanced stuff ready to go.

edit: and his dogs are cute as hell

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 22, 2021

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

VV is excellent and his tutorials are spot on. He's a little absolutist when it comes to certain products/techniques, but the things he does suggest are solid. He can definitely use a better camera, it looks like his videos are from 2016 sometimes lol

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

SERPUS posted:

She always seems like she's teetering on just moving out. I can't tell if its sarcasm or a cry for help.

Probably just good ol british humour

Also gonna post for goobertown hobbies, he's like the bob ross of mini painting and he's an actual chemist so his methodology on testing stuff related to that is pretty spot on

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Also seconding Brent. He's a chill, genuinely nice guy. Except when he's painting BattleTech miniatures for some reason.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'll add in Cult of Paint too. Their videos are well shot and clear, and the techniques and ideas they show are just far enough outside my skill level that they feel achievable with some practice, rather then something completely beyond me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cult of Paint is cool but one of the guys sounds like he’s about 70 and it was weird as hell when I saw him and he’s probably like 10 years younger than me

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Miniac is quite cool, I enjoy his videos

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I enjoy Miniac, and mainly because he does have a certain level of personality. He’s not even that good of a painter, but I love the effort that goes into the vids.

Vince is skilled but the production level is so low I struggle to stay engaged, not enough editing or thought. Means he can make poo poo tons of videos tho.

Goobertown is lovely but man that voice is crazy. the Internation and how every 3rd word is draaaawn out. I’m not American so I don’t know if that’s an accent but it’s super strange.

Next Level painting is the best example of ‘amazingly good content, but incredibly grating persona’

But for all of these artists, they’re all putting out tutorials for no money, and making a living off their hobby, so they’re all good to me :unsmith:

There’s someone out there for everyone.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeast posted:

I enjoy Miniac, and mainly because he does have a certain level of personality. He’s not even that good of a painter, but I love the effort that goes into the vids.

Him and Squidmar put out fantastic pieces, in my opinion :negative:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also seconding Brent. He's a chill, genuinely nice guy. Except when he's painting BattleTech miniatures for some reason.

I need to know more. Does he turn into a raging rear end in a top hat the second he picks up a mech or something?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Him and Squidmar put out fantastic pieces, in my opinion :negative:

Oh don’t get me wrong, he’s skilled- I guess I mean more ‘when compared to other YouTube painters’

I don’t learn much from Miniac, but for me YouTube is more of an entertainment thing, and he does it very well. His podcast with John is something I genuinely look forward to, they have a fantastic thing there.

Squidmar is also fun, his super strong attraction to ‘I gave 5 models to people on 5iver’ thing is pretty weak tho. But his completed painted works are truly wonderful.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
In my opinion, the best production levels go to 52 miniatures tho.

Swedish guy, and every video looks like its been shot with a crew. Lighting, audio, camera are all on point. Absolutely stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L19Im-LX8g0&t=154s

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Finished my Imperial Guard kill team.

Currently trying and failing to resist the urge to keep going and make this a full 40k army.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Yeast posted:

In my opinion, the best production levels go to 52 miniatures tho.

Swedish guy, and every video looks like its been shot with a crew. Lighting, audio, camera are all on point. Absolutely stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L19Im-LX8g0&t=154s

Yeah this guy is so chill.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I did some more Malifaux painting over the last couple of weeks! First up a couple of miscellaneous figures.

The Bloodhunter (AKA Nekimas Ugly Doggy) I think hes supposed to be threatening, but hes just kind of cute. Maybe if I added some blood effects, but I kind of like him as is.

Collodi (metal 1e) and his Marionettes (plastic 2e). Dont love these figures tbh, painted them this weekend when I was dog tired and needed something I didnt care if I hosed up. They came out okay but I still dont much like the figures.

Lazarus, for the Freikorps, another candidate for the category "Malifaux figures who are definitely too big for their base"

The rest are a Arcanist Sandeep Desai Academic crew. These were fun models to build and paint.

The man himself, Sandeep Desai.

Banasuva. There are times I'm willing to give some simple OSL a go, but frankly when a model has 8 seperate flames on it, not so much. Still, really liked this figure to paint!

Kudra. She was the toughest to put together our this crew, a couple of teeny tiny attachment points.

The Shastar Vidiya Guards.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ninjon and Squidmar are the coolest and most helpful of all the channels I've watched recently.

I honestly can't stand Goobertown, Zumikito Miniatures or Marco Frisoni. I'm sure they're all cool lads though.

Miniac is alright, I've learned a handful of things from him.

I give Mid Winter Minis a solid C+ since I haven't learned poo poo from him. Also lol that he tried to coax Henry Cavill into appearing on his channel for something or other.

I still habitually watch GW's painting guides, new and old they're immensely helpful to me. I tend go veer away from the contrast paints but I have enough that videos including them sometimes come in handy.

But nothing beats Duncan. I've been considering joining his website for a while now.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

I honestly can't stand Goobertown... or Marco Frisoni.

I give Mid Winter Minis a solid C+ .

:staredog:

Pretty sure they actually did get Henry Cavill to agree to something (they're coy about exactly what) and are waiting for covid restrictions to ease.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Eediot Jedi posted:

I need to know more. Does he turn into a raging rear end in a top hat the second he picks up a mech or something?

Nah, he actually raises some really good points about their packaging (and his arguments are one of the reasons I don't use grass tufts on my 'Mech bases). He got sent a box of IWM plastics ( :gonk: ) as part of a speed painting challenge from another painting channel.

He was not impressed with the box art (I was not impressed seeing old IWM plastics, I thought those Alpha Strike boxes were IWM metal minis); but even then, he couldn't be really mean about it. "Maybe showcasing minis painted at an accessible [tabletop quality] level is a stroke of genius? Maybe not, though."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

AndyElusive posted:

Ninjon and Squidmar are the coolest and most helpful of all the channels I've watched recently.

John went from 0-100 in like 3 months flat. He's brilliant.