Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Skeletome posted:

The...Mcelroy Mcelroys?

I’m hoping Clint will be part of it because he did a stellar job writing the TAZ adaptation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean, this is the franchise for Warrior Cat Names, if nothing else.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I mean, this is the franchise for Warrior Cat Names, if nothing else.

Bramblepelt!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
New issue out and it's great. I love the new(-ish; he's been a recurring colorist since issue 19 and did some covers already) artist, Bracardi Curry (who did the pages with Sonic/Tails/Amy while Evan did the pages with Tangle and Belle)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I do not mind Belle but her clown nose is loving ridiculous and stands out like a... well, like a clown nose. As though it's a photoshop edit someone made as a joke for a /co/ thread or something

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TwoPair posted:

I do not mind Belle but her clown nose is loving ridiculous and stands out like a... well, like a clown nose. As though it's a photoshop edit someone made as a joke for a /co/ thread or something

thank you for giving me an excuse to post this

(source)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

you can definitely tell that they had to bust out some fill in inkers and colorists on last weeks issue (it's downright stark the difference in quality between Leonardo Ito's colors when he's rushed, like in the first few pages of said issue and Bad Guys 3, vs when he isn't)

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

That last mini arc ended a bit anti-climactically. This comic's good but I feel like with its pacing, it doesnt seem to stick the landing as well as I'd like

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

30th Anniversary Special good

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

30th Anniversary Special good

Super Cute. Liked the Hooligans showing up.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I liked the Eggmans birthdya story

and bark is adorable

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Skeletome posted:

That last mini arc ended a bit anti-climactically. This comic's good but I feel like with its pacing, it doesnt seem to stick the landing as well as I'd like

I don't know, this feels more like a specific low point than anti-climax to me.

Also, thanks for the reminder about the 30th Anniversary special!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mah emmerowwds

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
The 30th Anniversary special was pretty good! That page of Heavy King getting angrier at Sonic's taunting was another choice sequence.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, the 30th special was great. Sonic gets a driving lesson was a bit of dud, but the other two were gold.
I was ecstatic to see the Hooligans again, seemly unchanged from reboot Archie. I'd like to see them in the main series, but for some reason I don't think we will.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 27, 2021

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Veotax posted:

Yeah, the 30th special was great. Sonic gets a driving lesson was a bit of dud, but the other two were gold.
I was ecstatic to see the Hooligans again, seemly unchanged from reboot Archie. I'd like to see them in the main series, but for some reason I don't think we will.

Yeah, Team Hooligan was another treat! I'm pretty sure they're considered 'Classic' characters now, if so they won't be in the main series because Sega wants Classic and Modern to stay separate.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Is it weird if I found the "Sonic Learns to Drive" part of the 30th anniversary comic way more charming than the main comic? Ever since the Archie comic died, and along with it, a WAY more interesting world than the boring Forces-esque villages-everywhere IDW world, I've been kinda down on the whole thing. It felt like they threw away all of the interesting stuff Archie had been doing and it just feels really dull, even though it's almost the exact same artists and writers? I wouldn't mind seeing more of the silly, cartoony, classic world this particular segment has if we're not going to get anything interesting on the main comic, though I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I feel like the book should start having issues where there's more than one story like Archie did, give us backup stories. Unironically some of the best IDW content for me have been from the Annuals.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/IDWSonicNews/status/1413169003577622530?s=19

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I misread Fastest Thing Alive as Fastest Man Alive for a second and thought "what the gently caress how does the Flash cross over in a Sonic prequel?"

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/yardleyart/status/1413637164508893184

Yardley's back!
well he's been doing covers this whole time and he did a page and a half of fill ins for Seasons of Chaos, but it's still been almost literally 2 years since the last issue with him.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Agent Rush posted:

...If this series can make me care about any of the Deadly Six, I'd call them the greatest Sonic comics of all time. ...

New issue dropped today, and there's news...

So, apparently these are the greatest Sonic comics of all time. Who could have foreseen that?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Mauro Fonseca wrote up a list of all the little cameos he put in the art of the Sonic Learns to Drive story, plus some that got cut by Sega.

https://maurofonseca.tumblr.com/post/656664327351369728/sonic-learns-to-drive-references-guide

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I'm glad somebody's saying out loud what I've been saying since it started (Colors I think?), even if it's a villain saying it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Agent Rush posted:

New issue dropped today, and there's news...

So, apparently these are the greatest Sonic comics of all time. Who could have foreseen that?

What's that a reference to?

Also yeah I am also enjoying the new arc. Quite a lot happened in the most recent issue.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

MonsterEnvy posted:

What's that a reference to?

Also yeah I am also enjoying the new arc. Quite a lot happened in the most recent issue.

That's a panel from issue #41, the reference is just a little joke about how this storyline + Bad Guys has actually made me care about any of the Deadly Six as characters. I said I'd call this series the greatest Sonic comics of all time if they could manage that, and lo and behold! :v:

Also, #42 dropped today! It's pretty action-packed, and looks to be leading to a big finish. This new arc is a great contrast to Chao Races & Badnik Bases, the series has definitely picked up from the slog the Metal Virus arc could be at times.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
In the newest issue there's a panel where Sonic talks about how everyone wants to just forget about the Metal Virus and pretend it hadn't happened and that felt kinda meta like that even IDW is indirectly admitting that story arc was a mistake

Overall an okay issue but it's really obvious how badly the people working on these comics are dealing with all of Sega's insane and inane mandates that are crippling the comic and indeed this entire franchise's potential

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Ian's talked about how he doesn't like the term Mandates (which was first mentioned by Penders) because it implies a set in stone 10 commandments sort of deal rather than a culmination of the notes he's gotten on his scripts that change priorities over time. The impression I've gotten from the bumblekast is that since Sega are more directly involved with IDW than Archie, that ironically means that there are some things they're more lenient on (though it also means a lot of the loopholery that Ian did back at Archie at times can't really be done anymore); multiple times on the Bumblekast Ian's mentioned how he's be surprised with what he has been allowed to do in IDW that he wasn't in Archie. The one real sega request that's really gotten in the way is how to write Shadow, and even then it sounds more like it messed up the Crisis City story specifically (since that story was probably planned with how Ian wrote Shadow in Archie in mind) rather than IDW as a whole; all Ian had to do to change how he wrote Shadow in issue 31 was make an external monolouge into an internal one, and while Evan's mentioned that she did have to do rewrites wrt Shadow in Chao Races and Badnik Bases, the fact that she went into it with Shadow's new characterization in mind seemed to make things go a bit smoother.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Ian's talked about how he doesn't like the term Mandates (which was first mentioned by Penders) because it implies a set in stone 10 commandments sort of deal rather than a culmination of the notes he's gotten on his scripts that change priorities over time. The impression I've gotten from the bumblekast is that since Sega are more directly involved with IDW than Archie, that ironically means that there are some things they're more lenient on (though it also means a lot of the loopholery that Ian did back at Archie at times can't really be done anymore); multiple times on the Bumblekast Ian's mentioned how he's be surprised with what he has been allowed to do in IDW that he wasn't in Archie. The one real sega request that's really gotten in the way is how to write Shadow, and even then it sounds more like it messed up the Crisis City story specifically (since that story was probably planned with how Ian wrote Shadow in Archie in mind) rather than IDW as a whole; all Ian had to do to change how he wrote Shadow in issue 31 was make an external monolouge into an internal one, and while Evan's mentioned that she did have to do rewrites wrt Shadow in Chao Races and Badnik Bases, the fact that she went into it with Shadow's new characterization in mind seemed to make things go a bit smoother.

Honestly that's always just come off as him being political cause he'd get fired if he told the truth but he'd gain the ire of the fandom if he just ignored those kind of questions

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Ian definitely comes off these days as being excited over the fact that he's no longer the writer and has another fellow main writer to bounce off of (mentioning that Zeti Hunt would've turned out differently if it weren't for what Evan's written). The fact that he now has a gig working at Aether studios as the head writer probably helps offset the less work he's getting otherwise.

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly that's always just come off as him being political cause he'd get fired if he told the truth but he'd gain the ire of the fandom if he just ignored those kind of questions

like he has mentioned as an example of Sega changing their mind on things that Sega's changed their minds on him over the years on whether or not Charmy was wearing a helmet or if that was just Part of His Head

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Ian definitely comes off these days as being excited over the fact that he's no longer the writer and has another fellow main writer to bounce off of (mentioning that Zeti Hunt would've turned out differently if it weren't for what Evan's written). The fact that he now has a gig working at Aether studios as the head writer probably helps offset the less work he's getting otherwise.

like he has mentioned as an example of Sega changing their mind on things that Sega's changed their minds on him over the years on whether or not Charmy was wearing a helmet or if that was just Part of His Head

Which one is the current one?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

drrockso20 posted:

Which one is the current one?

IIRC it's a helmet but I'd have to relisten to that bumblekast

Also I doubt Ian is lying when saying Sega lets them get away with more than you'd think because he's pretty openly grumpy about their take on shadow specifically, to a level that he'd likely tone down if he was trying to play nice.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

So let me get this straight, apparently drrockso20 is accusing Sega of mandating Ian to make the zombie arc super bloated instead of, I dunno, Ian being human and messing up? And apparently because Ian said Sega isn't mandating stuff other than specifying how to write Shadow he also must be a liar because it can't be just that!?

I'm sorry, but you're being a weirdo about this.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 22, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

IIRC it's a helmet but I'd have to relisten to that bumblekast

Also I doubt Ian is lying when saying Sega lets them get away with more than you'd think because he's pretty openly grumpy about their take on shadow specifically, to a level that he'd likely tone down if he was trying to play nice.

It's less that he's lying and more that he's probably being very careful with his words

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

There seems to be two main factors that contributed to the Metal Virus arc being bloated (aka this is what Ian's openly talked about in the bumblekast on why the arc ran a bit long); one that's directly Ian's fault (he wanted to highlight as many characters as he could), and one that was out of his control (having to write with 4-issue trades in mind)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

There seems to be two main factors that contributed to the Metal Virus arc being bloated (aka this is what Ian's openly talked about in the bumblekast on why the arc ran a bit long); one that's directly Ian's fault (he wanted to highlight as many characters as he could), and one that was out of his control (having to write with 4-issue trades in mind)

The whole "Diamond running off to hide in the corner during the actual pandemic" thing didn't help matters ether.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Oh yeah the IDW Sonic News fan twitter has their own discord server, and Evan and some other IDW Sonic creatives pop in from time to time: this thing she said a while back is pretty relevant to the convo

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/IDWSonicNews/status/1426588938953691141?s=19

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/TailsChannel/status/1428751801189339141?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like those designs. I wonder is that a weird cloned tails on top or something.