Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Endless Mike posted:

Giant robots aren't really a good analogy because they are either fighting other giant robots or giant monsters, since that's how those universes are set up. Most Marvel villains are NOT giants, so writers either have to create a bunch of new giant villains to fight, or you have a giant beating up normal sized people, which is not a particularly heroic action. Having Captain Gundam use their giant robot to fight random people would be really dumb and bad.

Yeah I was responding to the idea that just in general it's hard to make comics about big things.

I really want to be clear about this, I genuinely wasn't trolling when I brought this, I genuinely thought everybody would agree it's a little weird that Marvel has had multiple getting big heroes for decades and never given them an ongoing solo series.

I am very surprised to discover that comic book writers believe that an ongoing comic about a super hero who gets big is an impossibility beyond the bounds of human creativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Not impossible, I'm sure Morrison or Ewing could do amazing things, just redundant to the Hulk and other existing characters if you want to explore the physical aspects vs smart guys or whatever. If that's not what your exploring, you're doing a more generic story with a hero whose powers happen to be boring.

Why doesn't ant man grow more often in his solo books? Because... *yawns and falls asleep*

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 22, 2021

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Endless Mike posted:

Giant robots aren't really a good analogy because they are either fighting other giant robots or giant monsters, since that's how those universes are set up. Most Marvel villains are NOT giants, so writers either have to create a bunch of new giant villains to fight, or you have a giant beating up normal sized people, which is not a particularly heroic action. Having Captain Gundam use their giant robot to fight random people would be really dumb and bad.

This is why Leopardon is so satisfying in the spider-verse books.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Yeah, Ewing made Galactus into a good guy, and how much bigger can you get than Galactus?

Sisyphus' rock rolled back down the hill :(

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
man y'all got trolled into some wild poo poo last night huh lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Galactus punching order and chaos in the face was great.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

man y'all got trolled into some wild poo poo last night huh lol

I had fun!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

site posted:

Somewhere vulpes is weeping

no reason today should be any different

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It's not like Little Heroes have a particularly rich history of having solo series. I may be missing someone, but:

1962-1963: Tales to Astonish #27, 35-48 (Ant-Man/Wasp co-features) 14 issues of Little Heroes
1963-1965: Tales to Astonish #49-69 (Giant-Man/Wasp co-features) 20 issues of Big Hero with Little Hero partner
[Giant-Man loses his co-feature to the Sub-Mariner]
1973: Marvel Feature #4-10 (Ant-Man/Wasp lead feature)
[Ant-Man replaces the Defenders as the lead feature, then gets replaced by Hulk & Thing, then the book gets canceled]
1976: Black Goliath #1-5
1979: Marvel Premiere #47-48 (Scott Lang Ant-Man solo stories)
1992: Marvel Comics Presents #113-118 (Bill Foster serial)
1994: Giant Man #1-4 is published as a 'double feature' with Avengers #379-382
2006-7: Irredeemable Ant-Man #1-12 (Erin O'Grady ongoing series)
2011: Ant-Man & Wasp #1-4 (Scott Lang and Hank Pym mini)
ANT-MAN MOVIE ANNOUNCED
2015: Ant-Man #1-5 (Scott Lang gets his first solo ongoing)
2015-2016: Astonishing Ant-Man #1-13 (a continuation of the previous series post-Secret Wars)
2017: Unstoppable Wasp #1-8 (Nadia Van Dyne solo series)
2018-2019: Unstoppable Wasp v2 #1-10
2018: Ant-Man and the Wasp #1-5 (Scott Lang and Nadia Van Dyne)
2019: Giant-Man #1-3 (War of the Realms tie-in)
2020: Ant-Man v2 #1-5 (Scott Lang mini-series that got delayed due to Covid)

I may be missing some heroes but in terms of solo stories about people affected by Pym Particles, the longest run any of them had was Giant-Man, co-featuring with the Hulk, just under sixty years ago.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Everyone is asking about Big Taskmaster

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that cover is very confusing. the skull is just a mask, which should include the teeth! he should have another layer of teeth on the inside that no one draws because that would look super creepy. still, it isn't present on that cover.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that cover is very confusing. the skull is just a mask, which should include the teeth! he should have another layer of teeth on the inside that no one draws because that would look super creepy. still, it isn't present on that cover.

Here at BSS we take your comments and concerns very seriously and do our best to give you the best, most normal posting experience possible:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

X-O posted:

I imagine that Stature is much more likely to get some kind of solo run now that she's Stinger because it's just something that fits the formula better.

Giantess fetishists across the world weep as their one chance slips through their fingers

Endless Mike posted:

There's no big person comics because as we know from decades of WWF, WCW, WWE, and AEW trying to get Andre the Giant, The Giant, The Big Show, Shaquille O'Neal, and Paul Wight over, it's simply impossible. Big people are not capable of doing anything more than not getting hurt by tiny wimps like Hulk Hogan, John Cena, and Cody Rhodes and shoving them over, or occasionally picking them up and dropping them, or at most using a devastatingly powerful punch.

Not true, they can also drink a whole bunch

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

How Wonderful! posted:

Everyone is asking about Big Taskmaster

He's everywhere

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Any hero under 6'0 is a "small hero" like ant man, IMHO.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Endless Mike posted:

There's no big person comics because as we know from decades of WWF, WCW, WWE, and AEW trying to get Andre the Giant, The Giant, The Big Show, Shaquille O'Neal, and Paul Wight over, it's simply impossible. Big people are not capable of doing anything more than not getting hurt by tiny wimps like Hulk Hogan, John Cena, and Cody Rhodes and shoving them over, or occasionally picking them up and dropping them, or at most using a devastatingly powerful punch. Also, it is a fact that no one likes big people, which is why they are always booed, and even when they try to be nice, they eventually stop being nice again and start getting real big. In fact, the only way someone can defeat a big person is to harness the power of 5 million Hulkamaniacs to supercharge their power or to trick them into getting beaten by their size so they step or fall through tables, which does not work when you are writing a comic about the hero who is expected to win by the end of the comic.

Harold Fjord posted:

I think that's just a scale issue. Japan is 1/20th the area so the robots seem bigger. in America they're just another terrain feature.

oh god they're right

last 2 pages have actually been great

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

Here, I have invented a new giant hero for us all to enjoy. His name is Big Super Samuel and I believe he is the biggest hero yet. I hope this demonstrates that BSS at least is a welcoming zone for huge hunks and other large beings.

I like that this hero has the LEGO bat winged helmet which reminds me of my childhood. As a comics fan "reminds me of my childhood" is the only thing I truly care about, so I welcome Big Super Samuel as a new hero.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

Any hero under 6'0 is a "small hero" like ant man, IMHO.
Username post combo here

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

2019: Giant-Man #1-3 (War of the Realms tie-in)

I may be missing some heroes but in terms of solo stories about people affected by Pym Particles, the longest run any of them had was Giant-Man, co-featuring with the Hulk, just under sixty years ago.

Huh, I assumed it was called Giant-Men, since there's four of them in the book, but it's actually titled Giant-Man.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i think most of the more successful heroes or hero teams have at least one giant villain of note, especially in marvel (where there are a ton of giant 1950s monsters that get brought back for a lark now and again): the living monolith, galactus, fin fang foom, ultimo, the midgard serpent—even daredevil gets into the occasional spat with stilt-man.

i think part of that is that huge scale is a great visual shorthand for overwhelming threat, which is useful when drawing supervillains

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bro, look at this dude

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Bro, look at this dude

Oh no no no no no

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Quotey posted:

oh god they're right

last 2 pages have actually been great

It's a big change.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Squizzle posted:

i think most of the more successful heroes or hero teams have at least one giant villain of note, especially in marvel (where there are a ton of giant 1950s monsters that get brought back for a lark now and again): the living monolith, galactus, fin fang foom, ultimo, the midgard serpent—even daredevil gets into the occasional spat with stilt-man.

i think part of that is that huge scale is a great visual shorthand for overwhelming threat, which is useful when drawing supervillains

Giganta's probably my favourite example, mostly because in recent years she's stopped wanting Wonder Woman dead so much as she just wants Diana to appear in a gossip column because she thinks she's stuck up.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

Here, I have invented a new giant hero for us all to enjoy. His name is Big Super Samuel and I believe he is the biggest hero yet. I hope this demonstrates that BSS at least is a welcoming zone for huge hunks and other large beings.

This isn't working for me. We need to give him a special helmet that makes him proportionally small, relative to how big he is now, or I, a bigshot Marvel executive, am scared of him and subconsciously I think he might eat me.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Thinking Reed Richards is probably a sizeist. What's the biggest he's gotten? Sorry Mr Fantastic- staying small and puny all the time hasn't gotten you your solo series yet.

Now the Maker? No doubt there are great heights in his future.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Endless Mike posted:

Bro, look at this dude

I thought that was Big Small Cass for a second.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Android Blues posted:

This isn't working for me. We need to give him a special helmet that makes him proportionally small, relative to how big he is now, or I, a bigshot Marvel executive, am scared of him and subconsciously I think he might eat me.

Ok now we're talkin

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT13ijUfSts

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

Ok now we're talkin

:sickos:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't believe Marvel would BOW TO THE SJWS and destroy my FAVORITE CHARACTER Big Super Samuel making HIM a FEMALE! And no, before anyone says it, I am NOT sexist! I love females and Marvel should make a NEW big female character instead of RUINING the one I've loved since I was a child!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

this woman is p explicitly not giant

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Clearly that's an even gianter strawberry

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Squizzle posted:

this woman is p explicitly not giant

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ah it's the queen of all cosmos

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

And if she had been created in the 1970's, her superhero name would have been Size Queen.

As for the question about why no solo-title on a size growing hero, does Ms. Marvel not count?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

And if she had been created in the 1970's, her superhero name would have been Size Queen.

As for the question about why no solo-title on a size growing hero, does Ms. Marvel not count?

Showe me your largest Kamala and I will judge. It had better not just be a long Kamala.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Quotey posted:

Showe me your largest Kamala and I will judge. It had better not just be a long Kamala.

How about this, that I found with a quick Google search?

(when I get a chance to log onto Marvel Unlimited I'll go looking for more instances of Kamala embiggening.)