Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

In the music department, I think would like to have seen a Junkie XL/Hans Zimmer collab joint for ZSJL. Not that I think the score is bad, but for me, Zimmer's music just has that warm blanket familiarity to it that I like.

Just put on the soundtrack for “Sunshine” while Justice League plays if you want the Hans Zimmer experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Piell posted:

I am referring to the Wonder Woman theme, and its curious you didn't even bother to try to defend it. (Playing it literally anytime Wonder Woman does anything was a bad idea that is dumb)

I like its use in the film AND I think the memes are funny. It's got a cool ancient vibe about it and it suits WW character. Is it overused? Maybe....? But the movie is so loving indulgent (in a good way for me), that I'd expect no less from Zack to use what he probably thought was a rad sounding leitmotif for every epic WW moment/reveal.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 22, 2021

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Grendels Dad posted:

Also being hyperbolic without being funny. Like, I dare critics to count how many times ancient lamentations actually pop up in the movie, I would be shocked if they needed two hands for it.

Prepare to be shocked, I skimmed through the Wonder Woman bank fight scene and the Steppenwolf v Amazons fight alone and got to 7

1st time the wailing happens is at 20:13
2nd time at 21:50
3rd time at 23:39
4th time at 25:26
5th time at 29:29
6th time at 31:55
7th time at 35:54

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Piell posted:

Prepare to be shocked, I skimmed through the Wonder Woman bank fight scene and the Steppenwolf v Amazons fight alone and got to 7

Who gives a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.......

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Subtitles, how do they work.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Piell posted:

Yeah I mean it's the Wonder Woman/Amazonian motif and those are the scenes that heavily feature those characters

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lol there are people in the comments of this video saying they're there because of the Snyder Cut, fuckin' lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN_lsbbmpPY

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I mean it's the Wonder Woman/Amazonian motif and those are the scenes that heavily feature those characters

Yeah but you see, it's annoying you see. See? See how often its annoying? Lol.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

teagone posted:

Lol there are people in the comments of this video saying they're there because of the Snyder Cut, fuckin' lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN_lsbbmpPY

Yeah but you see, it's annoying you see. See? See how often its annoying? Lol.

It turns out if you play the same sting every two minutes it can start to get grating

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I loved the movie and would not change the ancient lamentations at all but they are definitely extremely funny and I smiled every time the subtitle came up. If for nothing else that’s a good enough reason to have them. I love the goofy sincerity of mystical exotic wailing coming in every time Wonder Woman is on screen being mystical and exotic

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Piell posted:

It turns out if you play the same sting every two minutes it can start to get grating

Just cover your ears every time you hear the wailing come up the next time you watch it then? Or awkwardly point out how it's being overused to whoever you're watching it with? I dunno. That's only if you ever plan on watching the film again too, lol.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean if you don't like the motif that's fine but you dared people to defend it and they defended it lmao

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

feels a bit weird to pick on a movie for having such good hearing accessibility that the subs contain the characters' leitmotifs.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean if you don't like the motif that's fine but you dared people to defend it and they defended it lmao

The defenses have been "you only hate it because twitter", "everyone has motifs, what you hate motifs now?", and "it doesn't happen that often". The first and third are false, the second ignores my actual problem with it in that it plays anytime Wonder Woman or an amazon does basically anything. You can give a character a musical sting without playing it every two minutes, which is what the movie literally does.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The subs on HBO Max are great. Watch any of the DC cartoons, they don't miss a thing:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Piell posted:

The defenses have been "you only hate it because twitter", "everyone has motifs, what you hate motifs now?", and "it doesn't happen that often". The first and third are false, the second ignores my actual problem with it in that it plays anytime Wonder Woman or an amazon does basically anything. You can give a character a musical sting without playing it every two minutes, which is what the movie literally does.

Yeah and your initial "argument" was literally "I dare someone to try and defend it" which likewise isn't an actual fleshed out argument. You're getting back what you put in.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

MacheteZombie posted:

For me, the only musical cue I'd change is the one over the Flash rescue. I probably would have kept it silent except for the slowed down sounds of like Barry's feet tearing up asphalt, metal crunching/grinding, and other sound effects. A minor nitpick though. Snyder loves music cues.

I would be really sad, because pretty much everything about that sequence really works for me. From seeing teasers of it over the years, I was quite surprised how well the music ultimately shaped the mood. Like Flash and Iris are doing the whole "Love at first sight, and then lost", thing and Flash's divine intervention changes the course of events. While he saves her, he admires her beauty from a subjectively safe distance, and then when reality catches up, Iris just looks at this lonely outsider with full acceptance, which scares the hell out of him.

So no, you're objectively wrong and we're now officially at total war with each other.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 22, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Piell posted:

For this to be true you'd need to be more thorough: document all 121 instances of the Wonder Woman musical sting

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I would be fairly confident in saying that the John Williams Superman leitmotif probably plays as much in his movies as Wonder Woman's hollerin' does in ZSJL, but William's score is far less aggressive and far more triumphant so fewer people are bothered by it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

KVeezy3 posted:

I would be really sad, because pretty much everything about that sequence really works for me. From seeing teasers of it over the years, and I quite surprised how well the music ultimately shaped the mood. Like Flash and Iris are doing the whole "Love at first sight, and then lost", thing. Flash's divine intervention changes the course of events, and admires her beauty from a subjectively safe distance, and the reality catches up, Iris just looks at this outsider with full acceptance.

Yeah, the person who performed it was so grateful for all the attention it was receiving. It's such a beautiful song.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I was watching Empire Strikes Back the other day and it was pretty good but they play the same drat music every time Darth Vader shows up. It loving sucked, it was so distracting to hear the exact same music every time Vader did anything. I mean, in the Battle of Hoth alone they must have played his music at least three or four times.

loving hack John Williams. Don't even get me started on how he uses the same music every time the shark shows up in Jaws!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Flash saves Iris scene is my favorite section of the entire film. I wouldn't change anything about it. The music is what makes it for me, too.

[edit]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQZ5_3s4ltU

:allears:

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 22, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chairman Capone posted:

I was watching Empire Strikes Back the other day and it was pretty good but they play the same drat music every time Darth Vader shows up. It loving sucked, it was so distracting to hear the exact same music every time Vader did anything. I mean, in the Battle of Hoth alone they must have played his music at least three or four times.

loving hack John Williams. Don't even get me started on how he uses the same music every time the shark shows up in Jaws!

[ancient jizz wailing]

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hiddenriverninja posted:

The subs on HBO Max are great. Watch any of the DC cartoons, they don't miss a thing:

I'm reminded of when I suddenly wasn't able to take a Teen Titans fight scene seriously because it used the engineer's wrench whack sound effect from TF2. (something you get VERY familiar with if you play Engineer for more than five minutes)

Stock sound effects are like that, mind. City of Heroes comes to mind, especially when it and X-COM use the same 'footsteps on metal floors' sound.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of when I suddenly wasn't able to take a Teen Titans fight scene seriously because it used the engineer's wrench whack sound effect from TF2. (something you get VERY familiar with if you play Engineer for more than five minutes)

Stock sound effects are like that, mind. City of Heroes comes to mind, especially when it and X-COM use the same 'footsteps on metal floors' sound.

Doom's sound effects are everywhere too

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Piell posted:

Snydercut is definitely a better movie than Whedon but it's like a 7/10

I'm not dog piling, for the record, because I actually agree with you on how I'd score it if I had to.

This is a deeply imperfect film- that's part of why its so wonderful. This is exactly like any major comic book super event, though more palatable I believe, including weird one off issues that don't seem to connect to the main narrative and you have the epilogue which is a half thought out tangent that feels more metaphorical, allegorical, than it does 'real'

But

I wouldn't change that imperfection for anything at this point. We know this isn't the cut Snyder had in his head X amount of years ago- that version was only going to be 3 hours and 30 minutes. That one would probably have a lot tighter editing, less indulgent choices for things like songs and such, and over all be the 'superior film'...

But this isn't that. This is something else. You can argue if its better or worse, but it is what the creator wanted it to be. The indulgence is part of the charm. The imperfection is a feature, not a bug, at least for me. But, if it does bother you, that's valid.

The only thing I draw the line against is the attitude of 'it's the same'

Because if you say that, you are lying. You are either being disingenuous and looking to rile people up, or you are wrong. No room for debate, no argument to be made, you are exactly wrong. These films couldn't be more different if they tried.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1374035966298619910

I'm not super familiar with Zatanna—I've only seen her in the Justice League Dark animated films and in the WW x JL Dark Witching Hour crossover I read recently. Hope Keanu cameos as Constantine or something. It's one of the first Bad Robot productions under WB it looks like.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zatanna's pretty fun in the DCAU. (maybe helps that Paul Dini's wife is basically irl Zatanna) Stage magician superhero works surprisingly well, and she has a lot of fun angles to work from.

I think in both the show and the comics, they play with the angle that everyone knows she has genuine magical powers, but her magic shows are all sleight of hand with exactly one act of genuine magic thrown in.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm happy the music cue worked for others. I like the scene a ton, the hot dog bit (which i expected barry to eat later) was funny and I love how he's gentle with Iris. Really shows off how powerful is super speed with the combo of his shoes being obliterated.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm happy the music cue worked for others. I like the scene a ton, the hot dog bit (which i expected barry to eat later) was funny and I love how he's gentle with Iris. Really shows off how powerful is super speed with the combo of his shoes being obliterated.

...did that come before Sonic the Hedgehog?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(maybe helps that Paul Dini's wife is basically irl Zatanna)

I just looked this up and holy poo poo lmao

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well the whole thing was shot in before 2017, so probably?

On a side note, the Sonic movie is super fun, judge me for getting emotional when Sonic gets new shoes

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Absolutely. The only new footage shot was for the very, very end, with the Knightmare and MM scene.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Piell posted:

Oh poo poo, there is consistent use of music within a scene?

This is moronic.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Grendels Dad posted:

Oh poo poo, there is consistent use of music within a scene?

This is moronic.

You claimed it happened less than 6 times in the entire film

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
And then you claimed it happened 121 times. There are heroes on both sides.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My biggest problem with that entire soundtrack was the part where they played the ancient lamentation over a scene of Superman holding his wolf amulet and saying "place of power....gotta be!" Very strange choice from Zack Snyder.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Piell posted:

You claimed it happened less than 6 times in the entire film

Yeah, and I maintain my claim is correct, unless you count like a moron.

I mean, you clearly seem to count each instance the subtitle shows up, which is just... like, drat son.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 22, 2021

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

People are so concerned about the ancient lamentations on the Synder Cut soundtrack and not enough about the ancient lamentations of Mary Magdalene and the Apostles of our lord and savior Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, and I maintain my claim is correct, unless you count like a moron.

I mean, you clearly seem to count each instance the subtitle shows up, which is just... like, drat son.

Do you think the music plays constantly and I only counted when the subtitles showed up? I didn't, the sting would play and then stop a few seconds later only to play again about two minutes later