Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

That's pretty hosed up though. China should stop doing that.

yea it's not good to do and they should stop, but trying to turn 'this is hosed up' to 'this is some cartoonish levels of sadism and genocide' doesn't really help. I guess if it was just 'China over-polices minority groups' there'd be no real room for the US to condemn it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

yea it's not good to do and they should stop, but trying to turn 'this is hosed up' to 'this is some cartoonish levels of sadism and genocide' doesn't really help. I guess if it was just 'China over-polices minority groups' there'd be no real room for the US to condemn it.

It is very important to frame this stuff in a way that does NOT cause people to think of the ways the US treats its own contemporary black, hispanic, and indigenous population

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Even if it was a full on genocide the US doesnt have a leg to stand on, the poo poo in Yemen isn't even the first genocide it's committed in the last 20 years

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

every thread in C-SPAM becomes the China thread eventually

i was wondering if some new state dept propaganda dropped or something, all of a sudden everyones talking about it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

commielingus posted:

The commies are skinning people alive!

lmfao who buys this bullshit

The thing is, you don't need for all of the claims, or even some of the claims, to be real. You just have to inject enough doubt into someone for them to be able to go "but surely SOMETHING is going on in there, right???"

like, you talk someone down from the claim that they're death camps, but now they're still concentration camps

and then you talk them down from concentration camps, but now they're still re-education camps

and then you talk them down from "it's not actually millions of people getting sent to the camps", and mere hundreds-of-thousands of people getting sent to the camps is still bad... never mind that that estimate comes from interviews with EIGHT people making guesses at how many people in their respective villages were going to the camps... and then expanding the average of those estimates to apply to every village in Xinjiang

or you talk someone down from "they're forcibly sterilizing Uyghurs", and you're left with "okay, so the penalty for violating the two-child policy is getting IUDs implanted in you, and it applies to all ethnicities, not just Uyghurs, and the birth rates of the Han population would count as a genocide under the standards of the people asserting that this is a genocide of the Uyghurs" and it's STILL bad because the implantation of birth control to people who don't want it is a human rights violation

and at the end of all of it the needle hasn't really moved at all because the person on the other end still supports antagonizing China and sanctioning them and sending the USS Gabby Giffords on gunboat diplomacy patrols across the Taiwan Strait

and you saw this with the invasion of Iraq!

okay, so the only reason Saddam gassed the Kurds was because we gave him the chemical weapons... but he's still got nukes

okay, so Saddam did let all of the UN inspectors do all of their inspecting... but what about all the places we DIDN'T inspect, hmm?

okay, so we invaded Iraq, and we didn't actually find any nukes... but wait here are some chemical and biological weapons!

What's that? Those were holdouts from the 80s when we were giving him that stuff? Well, WE STILL FOUND WMDs RAH RAH RAH

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I mean they release new poo poo everyday now, it's just the same recycled nonsense from the same gallery of grotesques.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

a Loving Dog posted:

i was wondering if some new state dept propaganda dropped or something, all of a sudden everyones talking about it

theres definitely a new level of internalized feedback and messaging heading towards criticality right now. like half my family/friends social media is china scare stuff right now. my grandmother emailed me because shes scared about china. biden's passed his Most Progressive Bill In History now and so we need to inflate the now is not the time boogey man for the next four years and have something that national prop 22 can point to to say we need to compete and reinvent the american workforce

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it speaks to how poor Chinese soft power is given how muted alternative news sources like RT or AJE is about Chinese stuff these days

left Twitter likes to bring up Wolf warrior journos like Chen Weihua but he doesn’t have many followers and just sounds dumb most of the time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

a Loving Dog posted:

us is trying to get Americans to forget that China whipped our rear end silly in controlling covid and that our country is dying

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

shrike82 posted:

it speaks to how poor Chinese soft power is given how muted alternative news sources like RT or AJE is about Chinese stuff these days

left Twitter likes to bring up Wolf warrior journos like Chen Weihua but he doesn’t have many followers and just sounds dumb most of the time

You nailed it dude, we bring up Chen to own the US and not because he makes funny posts.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

classics such as
https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1373647840371732484?s=20

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Speaking of carceral states!

https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1373982799103987716

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

KomradeX posted:

Even if it was a full on genocide the US doesnt have a leg to stand on, the poo poo in Yemen isn't even the first genocide it's committed in the last 20 years

If you ask the average westerner if the US has ever committed a genocide there's like a 50/50 chance they answer "no, never" and "the Native Americans I guess". Like, we're total outliers knowing anything at all about the situation in Yemen, let alone the US' involvement.

Whereas most people would have some idea of the US police maybe being slightly racist sometimes including in the present day.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Salon/status/1374013773489537026

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lol christ just straight up 'we can't talk about this issue, that's what THEY want'

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
yeah okay guys a whole province's birthrate halved in two years because China started making folks recite the pledge of allegiance in schools

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Wow I can't believe someone said that. What an idiot. Could you show me the moron who said that so I can yell at him too?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Wow I can't believe someone said that. What an idiot. Could you show me the moron who said that so I can yell at him too?

Mandoric posted:

And more notably that one of Xinjiang's competitors for highest birthrate in the years before its drop appears to have done 18-11 and change in the same timeframe as Xinjiang did 16-8 and change.

The existence of a similar drop elsewhere leaves four options, none of which reflect well on the TLA blob pushing this:
- There's another Uyghur-majority province that is also being genocided, but that the US doesn't care about. Are its expat leaders just less in our pocket, or is it less convenient as a Ukraine of the East forward base? What other reasons could it be?
- There's an other-minority-majority province that is also being genocided, but that the US doesn't care about. See above.
- It's a Han province, and we're expected to believe that the Han are also genociding some regional flavors of Han. Less plausible, plus all the problems of above.
- Proletarianization, education, and explicit overall antinatalism are all relatively uncontroversial-in-serious-circles nationwide policy goals of the Chinese government, Xinjiang's dip represents normalization rather than repression, and the squawking about it is from a fundie nutcase who's found a way to sell his anti-anti-natalism crusade as a righteous cause by just not mentioning the earlier rapid plummet in Han birthrates under similar-or-stricter policies because honestly he's perfectly happy with fewer Han around anyway.

sexpig by night posted:

Yea pretty much, the cops there are treating Uyghurs poorly and that's not alright by any means and a lot of their punishments do indeed involve dumb 'patriotism classes' style poo poo mixed with genuine work skills training and the locals have fair reason to go 'hey stop loving with us' but there's not some mass ethnic cleansing going on. Again we have a lot more testimony of people from those situations saying 'yea I mean no poo poo going to weird patriotism jail sucked rear end but no it was mostly just normal stuff, the cops are probably bigoted against us though' than we do these weird second hand 'my cousin's sister said she saw a guard at the camp shoot a baby with a flame thrower', so either tricky China has finally mastered their mind control ray and has really brainwashed all these people or it's just an authoritarian government being authoritarian and a bunch of weird liars literally cashing checks from the CIA and State Department.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I can't believe anyone would have skepticism towards claims about Iraq's WMD program China's death camps

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

None of those are saying what you claim they're saying.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

a Loving Dog posted:

theres a ton of leftists who will make the soy face at every winnie the pooh meme thinking they are sticking it to the chinese billionaires without considering that this is entirely an intentional distraction from the worsening conditions at home. so you end up with everyone arguing about if china has camps or not instead of talking about the camps full of brown people here in the united states we could set free at any time.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Or our own ongoing genocide, which they could theoretically put pressure on their own nominally democratic government to end, but have studiously chosen to ignore or soyface about Biden clickdragging all the items in "offensive aid" into the "defensive aid" part of the Saudi Guns spreadsheet even as he completely shuts down fuel shipments into Hodeida causing all of the food aid to rot on the side of the road.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

spacemang_spliff posted:

I can't believe anyone would have skepticism towards claims about Iraq's WMD program China's death camps

maybe they can bring colon powell back to address the un

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zedhe Khoja posted:

None of those are saying what you claim they're saying.

Yeah someone even pointed this out.

https://twitter.com/GFPhilosophy/status/1364608623817596929

The original person behind the graph seems to retweet/defend Zenz. Sure sounds like a good source to me. :thunk:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Posting b4 Eugene V. Dubstep opens a QCS thread and has a huge meltdown like he did when pick got probed for a couple of days.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The original person behind the graph seems to retweet/defend Zenz. Sure sounds like a good source to me. :thunk:

You can verify it yourself starting here and working backward to 2010. The relevant section is '2-8 Total Population by Urban and Rural Residence, Birth Rate, Death Rate, Natural Growth Rate and by Region (2019)': http://www.stats.gov.cn/tjsj/ndsj/2020/indexeh.htm

e: the relevant two year period (birth rate is the third column from the right)

2017:
2019:

Eugene V. Dubstep has issued a correction as of 18:06 on Mar 22, 2021

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
No ones denying the birthrate drop. Only the discussing the reason and implications of it. Why can't you post in good faith?

e: like we're having a serious discussion about a serious issue of civil rights and you barge in here with this poo poo. Don't you have like an ounce of shame about doing this poo poo to own your posting enemies or whatever?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

You can verify it yourself starting here and working backward to 2010. The relevant section is '2-8 Total Population by Urban and Rural Residence, Birth Rate, Death Rate, Natural Growth Rate and by Region (2019)': http://www.stats.gov.cn/tjsj/ndsj/2020/indexeh.htm

You're missing the point though. There are multiple factors that could effect the birthrate, and it's crazy acting like this is some kind of smoking gun.

https://twitter.com/MyUKnumber4/status/1364819562881982466

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Zedhe Khoja posted:

No ones denying the birthrate drop. Only the discussing the reason and implications of it. Why can't you post in good faith?

animeistrash explicitly questioned the birthrate drop when he said the source of the graph, which only shows birthrate, is suspect

Zedhe Khoja posted:

e: like we're having a serious discussion about a serious issue of civil rights and you barge in here with this poo poo. Don't you have like an ounce of shame about doing this poo poo to own your posting enemies or whatever?

I don't know any of you lol

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

what’s that other province that experiences the same drop in birth rate over 17-18? another genocide?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

World War Mammories posted:

what’s that other province that experiences the same drop in birth rate over 17-18? another genocide?

there is no other province that experiences such a severe and sustained birthrate drop

https://twitter.com/jnzst/status/1364534538764869632

e: but the one you're talking about is Shandong. 2017:

e2: Xinhua doesn't speculate on why it happened but Western and Indian sources seem to peg it to the demographic contraction and cultural change that came out of two decades of the one child policy

Eugene V. Dubstep has issued a correction as of 18:23 on Mar 22, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

as was actually said in the tweet, birthrate alone is not an indication of anything, as that's about the most variable things possible to draw conclusions from. I'm pretty sure both India and Japan have had huge slopes down in birthrate over a bit of time, would you say that those are proof of nefarious activity done to those people too or would you look at other factors?

Meanwhile here's an article on the figures that goes into more detail. I'm sure Global Times is somehow lest trustworthy than Zenz and his 'non-profits' like Victims of Communism, though.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202101/1212073.shtml

quote:

Family planning policy is strictly practiced. According to the 2017 amendment of the Population and Family Planning Ordinance of Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, people of all ethnic groups in Xinjiang enjoy equal rights in family planning. Specifically, each registered urban couple is permitted to bear two children at most and each registered rural couple permitted to have three children at most. Any violation of the ordinance is subject to due penalty. In the meanwhile, special funds rewarding birth control and providing social security are appropriated by governments at county level and above for those who have already practiced the policy.Couples of ethnic minorities in Xinjiang rural areas who are willing to have only one or two children (adopted children included) in their lifetime, are eligible for applying for Certificate of Honor in Practicing Family Planning Policy. They could also receive a bonus of no less than 3000 RMB Yuan from the local government.In recent years, in order to enhance the quality of civic reproductive health, Xinjiang made constant efforts to improve services in birth control and reproductive health and spared no efforts in popularizing scientific knowledge in contraception and reproductive health. For example, there have been 9788 distribution sites so far in Xinjiang giving out condoms and other contraceptives materials free of charge. Seventeen types of contraceptives are offered annually for no charge; moreover, applications for smart phones are also developed to offer detailed information for sites providing contraceptives at prefecture, county and township levels, meeting individual needs for contraception and reproductive health. Safe, effective and appropriate contraceptive measures are available to couples of childbearing age, and fertile women accept tubal ligation and IUD operation spontaneously. In Hotan and other prefectures, the government follows the principle of combining people’s will with technical guidance, encouraging fertile women to choose internationally recognized tubal ligation and IUD operation which are slight in side effect, safe and effective. All the expenses of these operations are covered by the government.

The mindset on marriage and procreation has been shifted. In these years, young people in Xinjiang have already discarded the backward and outdated thoughts on mate selection and procreation. An increasing number of ethnic minority youths began to put more time and energy on personal development, thus postpone the time of first marriage. In 2015, there were 102 newlyweds in a township of Yengisar county, none of them were married at an early age. In fact,47 of them married late, a 23.9% increase over the previous year. In the meantime, deeply influenced by the conception of “the fewer and the better”, many married women of ethnic minorities in rural areas were able to go out finding jobs to earn more money, so the previous life cycle of “marriage-maternity-farming” has been broken and their status in family has been greatly enhanced, women have more chance than before to decide whether to have babies. With social development and progressing thoughts, the freedom of arranging one’s own marriage and the pursuit of happy marriage has become a commonplace. The rates of divorce and remarriage were stable with slight decline. According to official data, the numbers of registered divorced couples were 74979 in 2015, 51223 in 2017, and 47919 in 2018, with an annual decline of 14%; the numbers of remarried people in these years were 195008, 150628, and 115831, with an annual drop of 16%.

This is, as most anyone familiar with China will tell you, a fairly common shift of priorities in the country as a whole, a combination of the family planning laws that everyone is subject to with a general shift to more urban views of marriage shifting it from a thing you need to do asap and all. Again, you can disagree with things like the family planning policy, I think it's extremely backwards personally, but this is something that all groups are touched by it's not some magic Uyghur only thing.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

sexpig by night posted:

as was actually said in the tweet, birthrate alone is not an indication of anything, as that's about the most variable things possible to draw conclusions from. I'm pretty sure both India and Japan have had huge slopes down in birthrate over a bit of time, would you say that those are proof of nefarious activity done to those people too or would you look at other factors?

Meanwhile here's an article on the figures that goes into more detail. I'm sure Global Times is somehow lest trustworthy than Zenz and his 'non-profits' like Victims of Communism, though.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202101/1212073.shtml

This is, as most anyone familiar with China will tell you, a fairly common shift of priorities in the country as a whole, a combination of the family planning laws that everyone is subject to with a general shift to more urban views of marriage shifting it from a thing you need to do asap and all. Again, you can disagree with things like the family planning policy, I think it's extremely backwards personally, but this is something that all groups are touched by it's not some magic Uyghur only thing.

if the current texas government enforced a two-child limit statewide I think a lot of people itt would consider it to be targeting hispanic and black families

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also you know that while the whole 'they're putting Uyghurs in organ harvesting camps' thing started in 2017 the crackdown in Xinjiang began in 2009 after the riots, and the Belt and Road expansion into the province started in '14 I think

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

if the current texas government enforced a two-child limit statewide I think a lot of people itt would consider it to be targeting hispanic and black families

well I'm convinced let's do regime change in China

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

spacemang_spliff posted:

well I'm convinced let's do regime change in China

weird that I'm the one being accused of arguing in bad faith here

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

what if for decades prior to this policy, Texas had enforced a one-child limit on white families that minorities were excluded from.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

weird that I'm the one being accused of arguing in bad faith here

where did I do that

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Atrocious Joe posted:

what if for decades prior to this policy, Texas had enforced a one-child limit on white families that minorities were excluded from.

and then what if, in response to 'terrorism', 'infiltration', and 'separatism', the Texas government explicitly encouraged families in majority-white counties to procreate while aggressively enforcing a new 'family planning' policy on the Mexican border

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Atrocious Joe posted:

no shut up don't use actual Chinese history and basic understanding of their laws, what if Greg Abbot personally swore to shoot any Mexican baby he saw, then you'd hate it.