Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jehde posted:

Speed Champions and MicroFighters are kind of my jam currently, both mostly about that smaller scale detail, while still being "minifig scale" or whatever.

speed champions is legit one of the best themes ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
New Lego shuttle!

https://twitter.com/lego_group/status/1373982958357508097

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Designer Video is here too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci3ZwLhGNTw

It looks pretty good! The size is impressive. I thought the tail fin was too tall until they showed footage of the launch.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Dang that look great!

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I've been wanting to just build things for a while but never had a very good assortment from my childhood sets. I found a big lot on facebook, about 50 pounds. I started to try and sort it but it's really overwhelming. The best way I figured was to just start building.

Im a big castle fan so I started with that idea. That was pretty much the only "planning" that went into this. It then turned to a castle jail cell. Then I came across a ton of the dark red pieces and always wanting a roman/greek line so I went with that.

This by no means is very good. Very basic building, in fact it's daunting to post in here with the talent that gets posted.

Ideas I had to change this:
Make the whole top removable
Make the back open instead of the side
Make the natural rock wall inside slidable to open a secret hallowed waterfall

Apologies for terrible pictures, too.

http://imgur.com/gallery/OfowX4x

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Captain Duvel posted:

I've been wanting to just build things for a while but never had a very good assortment from my childhood sets. I found a big lot on facebook, about 50 pounds. I started to try and sort it but it's really overwhelming. The best way I figured was to just start building.

Im a big castle fan so I started with that idea. That was pretty much the only "planning" that went into this. It then turned to a castle jail cell. Then I came across a ton of the dark red pieces and always wanting a roman/greek line so I went with that.

This by no means is very good. Very basic building, in fact it's daunting to post in here with the talent that gets posted.

I quite like this

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I like the waterfall and the varied foliage a lot, and you did a good job adding texture to the walls with various modified bricks and SNOT tiles and such. The main thing that I really like, when I glance at this, is the overall composition. Everything is laid out really nicely. Definitely keep posting as you tweak it!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Captain Duvel posted:

One of my favorite Lego things is completely enclosed structures that hinge open to reveal detailed interiors. Hell yeah dude.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

GlenMR posted:

It looks pretty good! The size is impressive. I thought the tail fin was too tall until they showed footage of the launch.

gently caress, that’s a day one purchase for me.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Big Mean Jerk posted:

gently caress, that’s a day one purchase for me.

Yeah it’s real good.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Good poo poo! I took my 10231 Shuttle with me when I moved to Washington DC for a summer just so it could be in a photo with Discovery. It's a nice little bit of serendipity to be able to reunite them.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Finally I can find closure with my collection of LEGO space stuff. Saturn V, Apollo 11, ISS....this was all I needed!

I wish it had the booster rockets but they'd bring up the size and with that the price dramatically, I imagine.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I won’t be satisfied until Lego gives me Mercury, Gemini, and Soyuz.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Still missing Command Service Module

Edit: poo poo, since they already have the Lunar Module, they could just do a same scale Apollo Soyuz. Knock two birds out with one stone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

I wish it had the booster rockets but they'd bring up the size and with that the price dramatically, I imagine.

Don't worry, there will be a half dozen submissions for the fuel tank and SRB's to Ideas inside a month. And probably a launch tower.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ugh you're right. The longing will never end.

Actually I would love for them to go into older airplanes. Give me a DC-3, a Sopwith Camel, that sort of thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

BigglesSWE posted:

Ugh you're right. The longing will never end.

Actually I would love for them to go into older airplanes. Give me a DC-3, a Sopwith Camel, that sort of thing.

:same:

I’m bummed they haven’t really done a big Creator plane since the Sopwith.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:same:

I’m bummed they haven’t really done a big Creator plane since the Sopwith.

I just found out that was a thing and now I'm very angry I never knew that was a thing.

I did get the Crocodile last year which was really nice tho!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Shuttle looks fantastic, that's the first must-buy for me in quite a while.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

BigglesSWE posted:

I just found out that was a thing and now I'm very angry I never knew that was a thing.

I did get the Crocodile last year which was really nice tho!

The Sopwith is one of my favorite sets and I highly recommend seeking it out (assuming it hasn’t reached insane resale prices). I’ve had mine boxed for a while due to space but I’d love to display it again.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I have the late aughts Camel. Beautiful set, wonderful build, but so fragile.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
This fall, I put in a replacement order on the Lego site for some parts on my Voltron that broke. They were 1x1 bricks with clips on the side that attached the Black Lion’s removable shoulder parts to the main body, and they broke when I detached them after about a year of sitting on my shelves.

At the time, it said they weren’t in stock, but I put the order in anyway because Bricklink parts were relatively expensive or required some minimum purchase. I suppose I could have ordered a different part because they were internal parts, but whatever. I got the confirmation email in September. I haven’t gotten them, and I’ve often wondered if it was normal due to COVID just delaying everything, or if the problem was that it was an older version of a similar part which someone here told me.

I finally called their customer service number today, and they confirmed that there had been some catalogue number switching that put my order in a kind of limbo. They changed it and the parts should be on their way now.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

GlenMR posted:

I finally was able to watch this and holy poo poo the set looks so drat cool. It's really weird to me, though, how they were blurring NASA logos on the clothing. At first I noticed it on Nico Vas' chest, and figured it was blurred because it was the older meatball logo that has once again been deprecated in favor of the 1970's era worm logo.

But then later in the video I realized they were also blurring the worm logo on Milan Madge's right shoulder.

Maybe there's some special requirement for the exact coloring of red on white for the worm logo / the whole general vibe of the meatball logo where it can't be featured in commercial products like that. Noticeably, the worm logo is black and white in the set's representations.

Dr Christmas posted:

This fall, I put in a replacement order on the Lego site for some parts on my Voltron that broke. They were 1x1 bricks with clips on the side that attached the Black Lion’s removable shoulder parts to the main body, and they broke when I detached them after about a year of sitting on my shelves.

At the time, it said they weren't in stock, but I put the order in anyway because Bricklink parts were relatively expensive or required some minimum purchase. I suppose I could have ordered a different part because they were internal parts, but whatever. I got the confirmation email in September. I haven’t gotten them, and I’ve often wondered if it was normal due to COVID just delaying everything, or if the problem was that it was an older version of a similar part which someone here told me.

I finally called their customer service number today, and they confirmed that there had been some catalogue number switching that put my order in a kind of limbo. They changed it and the parts should be on their way now.
Oh wow, bummer that your part replacements got lost in the shuffle! The missing piece service worked very quickly when I used it a month ago, so hopefully you'll get those really quickly now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think maybe it is because they don't have the rights to use the logos in that way or something. Also, I think the blue globe NASA logo is used for unmanned things and the worm logo is used for manned craft.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Lol, there's already someone in one of the Facebook groups I'm in whining about 'virtue signalling' since the astronaut they have a profile on in the instructions is black.

It does look really cool but it is expensive and I already have 7470 (yes, I know that 10283 is a better model in pretty much every way)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Lol, there's already someone in one of the Facebook groups I'm in whining about 'virtue signalling' since the astronaut they have a profile on in the instructions is black.

It does look really cool but it is expensive and I already have 7470 (yes, I know that 10283 is a better model in pretty much every way)

boy that guy must have been furious about the mae jemison minifig. black AND a lady. the sjws have taken over

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Lego is giving my wallet a break. All these new sets I have no interest in. NASA Space poo poo is boring to me so this is a gift. Now if they started doing Star Trek I’d have to buy some of those.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Earth posted:

Lego is giving my wallet a break. All these new sets I have no interest in. NASA Space poo poo is boring to me so this is a gift.

Earth posted:
:thunk:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

It never ceases to amaze me that this poo poo exists even in communities built around borderline-educational children’s toys.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It never ceases to amaze me that this poo poo exists even in communities built around borderline-educational children’s toys.

There were internet libertarians FUMING about there not being enough white characters in Star Trek Discovery. There are always people in groups where the message of the thing they are obsessed with just flies over their heads.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

There were internet libertarians FUMING about there not being enough white characters in Star Trek Discovery. There are always people in groups where the message of the thing they are obsessed with just flies over their heads.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The internet was supposed to enlighten us all, but it turns out it just gave the bigots a loudspeaker.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Lmao at the very idea of libertarian trekkies.

Edit: to be fair, Lmao at all libertarians.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know right? It's not even the first time this year, I've seen a lot of people angry that one of the Black Falcons in the Blacksmith set is female since it's "historically inaccurate" and "women didn't fight back then". Angry enough to get the comments turned off on the Brickset article about that set.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

GlenMR posted:

Big shiny stickers on the inside of those doors, oooff

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Big shiny stickers on the inside of those doors, oooff

In my pretend universe, they found a way to not need heat exchangers on the bay doors :smugdog:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Not sure if I want the Shuttle or not. On one hand, I was just lamenting my backlog dwindling down, and how I'd soon no longer have a lego set to procrastinate building.

On the other 260$ Canadian and I have almost no where to put it.

xzzy posted:

The internet was supposed to enlighten us all, but it turns out it just gave the bigots a loudspeaker.

I mean, I'd probably be a bigger, shittier, dumbass if it wasn't for the internet. But the internet also enabled me to act like a real dumb rear end for awhile.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lego SKYLAB. :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zedd posted:

Lego SKYLAB. :colbert:

If you bought the Saturn V, you already have most of a skylab, since it was a modified S-IVB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I have both of those and yet the new one is so very tempting. Maybe for my birthday if I get stuck inside in yet another lockdown.

Chirk Manbote posted:

I would buy your stickers, dm me if you ever sell the lot!

99% technic anyhow. But sorry, keeping them in case I ever get tired of lego and sell the lot.

Ika fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 23, 2021