Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sickening posted:

Its not really interesting. We acquired some companies and one of them have a few of these ancient shitters. I have researched this a bit before, but outside of the cve's posted by Microsoft, I feel like vulnerabilities of EOL servers just goes dark from the community at large when they go EOL.

A server being ancient EOL poo poo is enough for me to flag it as a no go, but I am curious what the known unpatched vulnerabilities are and it seems almost impossible to find per my googling.

Have fun:
https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/search/results?adv_search=true&form_type=Advanced&query=cpe:/o:microsoft:windows_2003_server

I think CIS or NIST might have some benchmarks or something at least published out there if you do have to keep using it for some dumb reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

Sickening posted:

Its not really interesting. We acquired some companies and one of them have a few of these ancient shitters. I have researched this a bit before, but outside of the cve's posted by Microsoft, I feel like vulnerabilities of EOL servers just goes dark from the community at large when they go EOL.

A server being ancient EOL poo poo is enough for me to flag it as a no go, but I am curious what the known unpatched vulnerabilities are and it seems almost impossible to find per my googling.

Microsoft has released patches for Server 2003 past End of Support for some of the known scary stuff, but for example something like SigRED affects 2003 w/o available patch (but theres a reg key mitigation) https://media.defense.gov/2020/Jul/16/2002458198/-1/-1/0/CSA_CVE20201350-V_1_0%20-%20COPY.PDF

You’d have to go CVE by CVE on someplace like https://www.cvedetails.com/ to see what MS did and did not patch for 2003.

I would wager that this server is probably unpatched against the things that do have a solution tho, would probably start there.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

honestly it looks like you can destroy that system yourself at any time

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"oh poo poo you guys lost the 2003 box and everything associated with it? aw heck sorry folks"

ComWalk
Mar 4, 2007

Tryzzub posted:

Microsoft has released patches for Server 2003 past End of Support for some of the known scary stuff, but for example something like SigRED affects 2003 w/o available patch (but theres a reg key mitigation) https://media.defense.gov/2020/Jul/16/2002458198/-1/-1/0/CSA_CVE20201350-V_1_0%20-%20COPY.PDF

You’d have to go CVE by CVE on someplace like https://www.cvedetails.com/ to see what MS did and did not patch for 2003.

I would wager that this server is probably unpatched against the things that do have a solution tho, would probably start there.

It's actually substantially worse than that, because there are plenty of CVEs from even the last year that absolutely do impact 2003 but won't list 2003 as an affected platform because they don't support it. Microsoft's own page for CVE-2020-1350 doesn't list 2003, but that NSA advisory does correctly report that 2003 is affected.

Sickening is correct in that they just go dark. It's safe to assume that a significant fraction of CVEs affecting newer versions of windows since they went dark do in fact silently affect 2003. If the bug is in code old enough to hit Win7, and it wasn't a feature new to Win7 go ahead and assume the worst.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Moving all our production stuff to Win3.1 and Trumpet Winsock

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Moving all our production stuff to Win3.1 and Trumpet Winsock

Run all our production on WinNT 4.0 boxes. For eternity.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Just use exploit-db .com to search for all the exploits that have in-the-wild exploitation code.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

If your tech is old enough, the tools for hacking it have all died out too

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Finally my investment in A/UX pays off.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Brb, firing up BackOrifice.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Laughs in bitrot

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

RFC2324 posted:

If your tech is old enough, the tools for hacking it have all died out too

I wonder if there are still young nerds out there feeling all badass for sharing the plans for the various-colored phone phreaking boxes, even though none of them have worked since last century.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Powered Descent posted:

I wonder if there are still young nerds out there feeling all badass for sharing the plans for the various-colored phone phreaking boxes, even though none of them have worked since last century.

I still love explaining rainbox boxes to people

I think thats the one where you just hook a phone line up to a 120v power line, right?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Powered Descent posted:

I used to build various colored boxes in high school in like 2001 even though almost none of them worked (beige box being a big exception, but that's just a phone with alligator clips instead of rj11)

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Isn't it called TeamViewer these days?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Holy shiy I just had a flashback to someone recommending back orifice as a remote sysadmin tool

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Powered Descent posted:

http://www.projectmf.org/

Uses Asterisk to emulate an old-school telephone network where various boxes work.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pablo Bluth posted:

Just use exploit-db .com to search for all the exploits that have in-the-wild exploitation code.

Yep. Even greater to install the tool and search for exploits for the system exactly and then use other options to filter for types of exploit (ie unauth vs auth user vs admin)

code:

searchsploit -t windows 2003

code:

sudo apt update && sudo apt -y install exploitdb

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Holy shiy I just had a flashback to someone recommending back orifice as a remote sysadmin tool
I had that exact thing happen too.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt -y install exploitdb
Or just use Kali Linux and it's all there...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pablo Bluth posted:

Or just use Kali Linux and it's all there...

You mean broken Linux.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Powered Descent posted:

If you whistle into an Exchange server it opens right up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ojjeorago posted:

If you whistle into an Exchange server it opens right up.

if the exchange server doesn't want to get pwned, the server has ways to shut that down

Arivia fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 24, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

wolrah posted:

http://www.projectmf.org/

Uses Asterisk to emulate an old-school telephone network where various boxes work.

That is easily the most awesome thing I have seen all day. And it somehow makes me feel incredibly old, even though phone phreaking was already pretty much over, well before my time.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

You mean broken Linux.
I only use Kali inside a VM for playing HackTheBox but I can't say I've found it broken in any sense. Wildly inappropriate as a main OS but fine for it's niche.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pablo Bluth posted:

I only use Kali inside a VM for playing HackTheBox but I can't say I've found it broken in any sense. Wildly inappropriate as a main OS but fine for it's niche.

I was mostly joking, its good for that sort of stuff, but it does have some issues.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CommieGIR posted:

I was mostly joking, its good for that sort of stuff, but it does have some issues.

I seem to recall someone exposing that its security is broken, and all I could think was "why are you running it somewhere exposed on a R/W platform? LiveUSB only please

brains
May 12, 2004

the biggest issue with the old distros of kali was that it used root for everything, and people were using it as a daily driver it despite it saying everywhere not to do that. that's the most significant change with kali 2020.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I thought it was funny as hell that they described themselves as being hardened to the point of being unusable as a daily driver, but had that one rather noticable flaw

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I, someone that did everything as part of a '600 users, 5 IT workers' company, have been officially absorbed into a very large corporation's 'Cybersecurity' department. I wasn't asked if I wanted to be silo'd into security specifically, but that's where they've put me. I haven't been told what they think I'm going to be doing for them. What are good questions I should be asking my new manager to suss things out and get the lay of the land? I have a personal interest in security, and liked to understand whether my old environment had huge gaps that needed improvement, but it wasn't my career path.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

droll posted:

I, someone that did everything as part of a '600 users, 5 IT workers' company, have been officially absorbed into a very large corporation's 'Cybersecurity' department. I wasn't asked if I wanted to be silo'd into security specifically, but that's where they've put me. I haven't been told what they think I'm going to be doing for them. What are good questions I should be asking my new manager to suss things out and get the lay of the land? I have a personal interest in security, and liked to understand whether my old environment had huge gaps that needed improvement, but it wasn't my career path.

The best you can do is just open lines of communication and hope for the best. I would say the move is highly unusual and might have not even been your bosses idea or desire. Be flexible.

brains
May 12, 2004

droll posted:

find out what the expected roles and responsibilities are and if you have skill gaps, negotiate for training on company dime. hell, ask for it even if you don't need it!

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Does anyone know of a good web resource that kind of lays out the various roles/responsibilities typically seen so that I can be prepared to have those discussions? This company is not selling software / uses COTS internally.

I'm also curious if there are red flags I can be on the look out for that might indicate that this particular cybersecurity team is awful to work in, specific to security not just general stuff I've already picked up on working in corporations for 20 years.

brains
May 12, 2004

something like this could be useful for you: https://www.cyberseek.org/pathway.html

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah I would want to know what the expectations out of you are.

SOC response type? Making big picture security policy decisions like a CISO? A bit of both? Are you expected to be hands on with firewalls, DLP, AV, etc?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pablo Bluth posted:

. Wildly inappropriate as a main OS but fine for it's niche.

Too many people actually DO use it as a main OS though.

I don't use use LiveUSB. I use it on an ancient Lenovo laptop and that thing is wiped when I am not using it. It's easier to reinstall than update funnily enough.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

But why

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Having got in to HackTheBox, it's amazing how much of the request for help in the official forum is "I want to do X and it's not working. WHY?" pleas. The sort of zero-detail help-ticket I'd expect my Mum to write. So I can believe that 75% of the Kali userbase is 14 year-olds who have mistaken themselves for Elliot Alderson.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
75% of the entire drat industry