Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

sailormoon posted:

How should I quit my job where I love my manager? :(

I guess 1:1 and break the bad news?

I've always just done it in a 1:1 or stopped by their office and said "hey, you got a minute?"

Just be honest about it. "I've accepted an offer at $company, I'm planning for my last day to be $date"
You can even throw in "It has been great working for you, this was just an opportunity that is too good to pass up"

It's just business, a good manager won't take it personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If they're a good boss you can also try to stay in touch with them in the future for networking purposes. I had one good boss early in my career and since then I've just followed them around everywhere.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

I've always just done it in a 1:1 or stopped by their office and said "hey, you got a minute?"

Just be honest about it. "I've accepted an offer at $company, I'm planning for my last day to be $date"
You can even throw in "It has been great working for you, this was just an opportunity that is too good to pass up"

As a long time manager nothing raises the hairs on the back of the neck more than a trusted direct report stopping by on a Monday and saying those fateful words, "Hey got a second?"

And no they won't take it personally that's part of the job.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Lockback posted:

I hire people with and without degrees, but right now junior/intermediate roles are getting more candidates than I've ever seen before.

On that topic, I know people who've been getting offers for entry level positions for the fall of 2022, with like, one or two month decision deadlines, usually from places they're going to intern at but haven't yet. Is this actually a common practice in the industry, or maybe a function of how weird the job market is at the moment?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

foutre posted:

On that topic, I know people who've been getting offers for entry level positions for the fall of 2022, with like, one or two month decision deadlines, usually from places they're going to intern at but haven't yet. Is this actually a common practice in the industry, or maybe a function of how weird the job market is at the moment?

That is weird. I know a lot of places have been on hiring freeze, and depending on the industry they may not be out of the other side. Someone who's graduated but getting offers for an "internship for a year then we'll hire you" sounds like "One weird trick to get contract work for free" to me and I would not be surprised at all if grubby places are taking advantage of the saturated candidate pool like that. In the before-times I stopped interviewing even new candidates if their start dates were more than like 6 weeks out because if they were any good they'd have competing offers waiting that long. So year-out start dates would never fly unless the candidates were otherwise near-unhireable.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jose Valasquez posted:

I would advise against saying the name of your new company. To anyone at previous company unless you absolutely trust them.

They may be fine with it. But someone else who isn't as fine with it may get wind of it and contact new company.

It is not unheard of for people to divulge their new employers name and find the new job is not waiting for them by the time they arrive.

It takes an insanely petty manager type to do something like that, but the world seems filled with those types now more than ever.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Gildiss posted:

I would advise against saying the name of your new company. To anyone at previous company unless you absolutely trust them.

They may be fine with it. But someone else who isn't as fine with it may get wind of it and contact new company.

It is not unheard of for people to divulge their new employers name and find the new job is not waiting for them by the time they arrive.

It takes an insanely petty manager type to do something like that, but the world seems filled with those types now more than ever.

I've never heard first hand from anyone that this has happened to, though a couple execs I've worked for I wouldn't have put it past. Has anyone actually seen this happen?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hughlander posted:

As a long time manager nothing raises the hairs on the back of the neck more than a trusted direct report stopping by on a Monday and saying those fateful words, "Hey got a second?"

And no they won't take it personally that's part of the job.

It's payback for all of the 15 minute 1:1s added to the calendar at the last minute with no explanation

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Gildiss posted:

I assume if they love their manager their manager isn't that petty. I've always been on great terms with my managers and have told them where I was going. People come and go from companies all the time, it seems like a low risk thing unless you know your manager is a huge poo poo head.

I've only worked at large corporations though, it might be different if you're at a small company with poor bus factor

asur
Dec 28, 2012

foutre posted:

I have no idea if this is common, but it's pretty stupid on the companies part unless you meant 2021. There's no reason to hire someone 1.5 years in advance and part of the point of an internship is as a trial period.

Exploding offers are unfortunately more common for interns and new grads as companies likely want to be able to offer the position to their second choice if the person declines.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

It's payback for all of the 15 minute 1:1s added to the calendar at the last minute with no explanation

I've never done one of those personally, but I do know the existential dread of the morning mandatory all-hands with no context or warning...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well turns out not getting the hackarank challenges 100% correct was disqualifying, so gently caress doing tests "properly" I guess. If the point of these tests was to gauge "Can this person code?" and as a starting point to discuss how I go about solving problems and what my pitfalls and strengths are I can understand them, but if the expectation is actually getting them and their hidden tests 100% correct in under an hour I feel now like I'm being tested as to whether I've seen a palindrome test question before and not on "Seeing a completely new problem how do you solve it?" like the discussion earlier about the "How do you find a cycle in a linked list?" problem.

My incentive now seems to be to google the problem and rewrite psuedocode in whatever the target language is to insure a correct solution instead of trying to figure it out on my own in the time allotted.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well turns out not getting the hackarank challenges 100% correct was disqualifying, so gently caress doing tests "properly" I guess. If the point of these tests was to gauge "Can this person code?" and as a starting point to discuss how I go about solving problems and what my pitfalls and strengths are I can understand them, but if the expectation is actually getting them and their hidden tests 100% correct in under an hour I feel now like I'm being tested as to whether I've seen a palindrome test question before and not on "Seeing a completely new problem how do you solve it?" like the discussion earlier about the "How do you find a cycle in a linked list?" problem.

My incentive now seems to be to google the problem and rewrite psuedocode in whatever the target language is to insure a correct solution instead of trying to figure it out on my own in the time allotted.

You're really growing as a developer.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I got a call from a recruiter for a jr data engineer position, which is something I hadn't considered before but sounds interesting especially since it turns out I don't really particularly care for front end anything. They're happy to hire Java people and train them in scala/spark, and they want sql knowledge. Anything I should know as far as weird bullshit questions that'll come up or anything that'll make me sound extra trainable? I was planning to say I'm familiar with sql, but I do most of my work with it in the backend as opposed to in mySQL workbench, and maybe talk about how I've recently started a project that will be creating a database for all my overly complicated baking notes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I spammed out another 30 applications and got a few more phone interviews about it. One of them wants me to send them a supplement to my resume with more details as to my portfolio which seems good?

downout posted:

You're really growing as a developer.

It doesn't make me happy though. :mad:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Raenir Salazar posted:

It doesn't make me happy though. :mad:

Did you think it would?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I got a call from a recruiter for a jr data engineer position, which is something I hadn't considered before but sounds interesting especially since it turns out I don't really particularly care for front end anything. They're happy to hire Java people and train them in scala/spark, and they want sql knowledge. Anything I should know as far as weird bullshit questions that'll come up or anything that'll make me sound extra trainable? I was planning to say I'm familiar with sql, but I do most of my work with it in the backend as opposed to in mySQL workbench, and maybe talk about how I've recently started a project that will be creating a database for all my overly complicated baking notes.

In my experience, data engineering is to a large extent dealing with bad data in a sane way and writing things performantly so you don't light thousands of dollars afire at the altar of Bezos. Things I looked for were folks who'd be happy with as the data as their product, not their code as well as folks who wouldn't mind dealing with incredibly tricky issues that took days to troubleshoot.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel now like I'm being tested as to whether I've seen a palindrome test question before and not on "Seeing a completely new problem how do you solve it?"

Yes, absolutely.

The software dev technical interview process is related to the actual work of software development, but it's very different in a lot of ways. Just like standardized tests in high school, there's a lot of noise about how the process is designed to measure general intelligence and problem-solving ability, but it turns out that getting a good score is dependent on studying specific problem sets and strategies.

Understanding the history might help a bit: it comes from big tech companies hiring junior-level people out of university computer science programs. One of the questions that employers need to answer there is "did this person graduate by working their way through the curriculum, or did they copy from their buddies and skate through?" Most of Cracking the Coding Interview is slightly reskinned comp sci homework problems. If someone can walk through a solution to one of those classic homework problems live in an interview, then they probably didn't sleep through their algorithms and data structures classes, and they're flexible enough in their thinking to recognize the same basic problem in a slightly different context.

If you didn't go through that curriculum, or if you did but it's been a few years, you have to study up on those problems to have a hope of getting through the interview. You are not a Dijkstra-level computer scientist, and even if you were, you're not going to invent new fundamental algorithms in the space of a 30 minute tech interview question.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
To be clear I'm complaining about how not passing like a online hackarank; the only technical interview I've ever had actually resulted in me being hired.

But it does seem like a good idea though nevertheless to brush up on those kinds of questions. :)

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

wins32767 posted:

In my experience, data engineering is to a large extent dealing with bad data in a sane way and writing things performantly so you don't light thousands of dollars afire at the altar of Bezos. Things I looked for were folks who'd be happy with as the data as their product, not their code as well as folks who wouldn't mind dealing with incredibly tricky issues that took days to troubleshoot.

Those both sound right up my alley actually. I'm not super optimistic about getting this job, but its a good reason to finish up this sql online course I'm halfway through.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Data engineering is a field where every project is simple at a high level but the details are always full of devils. No real data is ever clean and you have to figure out how to transport everything as messy as it is. It's a good fit for some people but absolutely not for everyone.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Sounds like my background in anth and library work will actually be useful for once then.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Pattern-matching problems you encounter to problems you've solved before is a pretty significant chunk of actual software development too. That's one of the aspects of interviewing that's less awful than it seems on the surface.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
I'm getting interviews pretty regularly and I'm pretty sure I'm not screwing up any obvious "interviews 101" stuff - is there any way to tell the difference between "there is some giant gap in my CS stuff that I didn't notice because I am a baby" and "the market is just hosed up right now keep at it"?

Recent-ish CS grad (fall 2020), started looking in January, roughly one interview per week, a few really promising ones but still zilch. I'm working on coding problems and little bullshit projects for people in the meantime but I want to make sure I'm not screwing myself somehow.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Dalris Othaine posted:

I'm getting interviews pretty regularly and I'm pretty sure I'm not screwing up any obvious "interviews 101" stuff - is there any way to tell the difference between "there is some giant gap in my CS stuff that I didn't notice because I am a baby" and "the market is just hosed up right now keep at it"?

Recent-ish CS grad (fall 2020), started looking in January, roughly one interview per week, a few really promising ones but still zilch. I'm working on coding problems and little bullshit projects for people in the meantime but I want to make sure I'm not screwing myself somehow.

Tough to say. If you come up with a narrative of a typical interview, we might be able to point out something you're obviously doing or saying wrong.

Assuming you're doing a lot of video chat interviews: Make sure you're presentable and that the area that appears behind you on camera is presentable. Anecdote: My wife hung a giant klingon flag up in my office because we're both trek nerds. I didn't notice because I am oblivious to decoration. I did a video chat. A few minutes in, I noticed the giant flag in the background. The flag was removed immediately.

(For those not familiar with the klingon flag, google it... it's about as close to a nazi flag in appearance as you can get without it actually being a nazi flag)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah I've been trying to clean up my apartment as well but my computer is located in an awkward spot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dalris Othaine posted:

That doesn't sound out of whack but if you want to post or DM me your resume/git I'm happy to take a look. I think its a tough time right now still for juniors, though its probably getting better.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Lockback posted:

That doesn't sound out of whack but if you want to post or DM me your resume/git I'm happy to take a look. I think its a tough time right now still for juniors, though its probably getting better.

You actually helped design my resume back in January :P Broadly, this: https://imgur.com/a/po6DZhQ
My Github is mostly full of random bullshit I've been playing with, should I still show that to people, or?

also w/r/t narratives, they seem to go follow the stereotypical format - "tell us about things you did, expand on $_thing from resume, why do you want this position" and so forth. Sometimes if they ask about a framework or technology I haven't used, I mention I used something similar. I think what might be zotting me is that I really don't have much professional experience - I've touched a lot of things but only a few of them for an actual company.

During interviews I wear a buttoned-up polo shirt with a blank wall as a background (actually my ceiling but it looks the same on video). The interviewers usually wear t-shirts and a few of them have said "lol you don't need a collared shirt to work here". I'm pretty confident in the presentation aspect of things :D

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Maybe put some time into one of those projects as a showpiece? Random bullshit is fine but usually I like to see one project that has some meat.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Lockback posted:

Maybe put some time into one of those projects as a showpiece? Random bullshit is fine but usually I like to see one project that has some meat.

It's definitely a good idea, but I have no idea what would actually be impressive - see above re: "low professional experience". Something big? Something fancy? Something awful....?

I think the root of my problem is that I don't actually know what industry people want out of a candidate (beyond the broad strokes of the job description) and that's hampering my efforts to convince them I've got it.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Dalris Othaine posted:

You seem very focused on the technical stuff. How are you on the soft skills? I haven't done a ton of interviewing really, but the main things I've looked for in junior colleagues - beyond a baseline ability to write code that isn't complete poo poo, so knowing your basic data structures and algorithms and such - are more on the social side. Will you take constructive criticism well? Are you interested in improving yourself? Will you get along with the rest of the team? Do you communicate clearly? Do you seem interested in the the work? These can pretty hard to gauge in an interview, since you're dealing with probably nervous people in a situation most of us hate, but they're also important for getting someone who doesn't suck to work with.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

chglcu posted:

You seem very focused on the technical stuff. How are you on the soft skills? I haven't done a ton of interviewing really, but the main things I've looked for in junior colleagues - beyond a baseline ability to write code that isn't complete poo poo, so knowing your basic data structures and algorithms and such - are more on the social side. Will you take constructive criticism well? Are you interested in improving yourself? Will you get along with the rest of the team? Do you communicate clearly? Do you seem interested in the the work? These can pretty hard to gauge in an interview, since you're dealing with probably nervous people in a situation most of us hate, but they're also important for getting someone who doesn't suck to work with.

I like to think I'm pretty good on soft skills - I always make sure to talk about at least one team venture and one solo venture and a bit about how they differed during interviews, and I always mention continued education and skill-honing as reasons for going into the field.

Maybe I'm just worrying over nothing - the job market IS pretty wack right now.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That's probably the major issue. Developing a project certainly can't hurt you, but right now the most important thing is to just keep sending out those applications.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Reposting from the career forum:

I'm coming from an academic background, phd in philosophy (with background and research related to computer science), and trying to break into the tech industry.

I have a second round interview soon with a Big Tech Company for a 'solution consultant' position in their sales department. In the first round of interviews I was sorta blindsided by a salary expectation question. I said something that made my interviewer go 'wow that is way lower than I was expecting'. She said that there was a lower limit on the job salary that was higher than what I said. How much did I gently caress up?

Also the first interview was for a software engineering position. The HR person said I would make a great fit for this other position (Solutions Consultant or also called Sales Engineer), but I really dont know much about sales. From what she described it sounded like a good fit, research, preparing persuasive presentations, lots of little projects etc. Can anyone here comment on these sort of positions as far as job satisfaction? What do you like about your job?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm coming from an academic background, phd in philosophy (with background and research related to computer science), and trying to break into the tech industry.

I have a second round interview soon with a Big Tech Company for a 'solution consultant' position in their sales department. In the first round of interviews I was sorta blindsided by a salary expectation question. I said something that made my interviewer go 'wow that is way lower than I was expecting'. She said that there was a lower limit on the job salary that was higher than what I said. How much did I gently caress up?

You committed the first major interviewing no-no and in the worst possible way.

They will most likely offer you as little as possible and you don't have any negotiating power because you showed your hand. Next time, do research. Know the market value for the work you would be doing and don't be the first person to give a salary number if you can avoid it.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
How big of a deal is it to leave a job without another one lined up? I have money saved up to support an in-between state for some time from my first job (of 2~ years). I don't really know what I want to do next and would like a sort of "reset" before plunging into another, due to heavy stresses encountered in current job. It would be nice to be able to "breathe" but I am kinda worried about the job market and how a gap would look

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Thom ZombieForm posted:

How big of a deal is it to leave a job without another one lined up? I have money saved up to support an in-between state for some time from my first job (of 2~ years). I don't really know what I want to do next and would like a sort of "reset" before plunging into another, due to heavy stresses encountered in current job. It would be nice to be able to "breathe" but I am kinda worried about the job market and how a gap would look

If you can avoid it don't do it.

Start interviewing and negotiate a start date beyond whatever notice you need to give to your current job if you need a breather.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Thom ZombieForm posted:

You'd be surprised how much you can coast. Might as well see what the lowest amount of effort that is necessary to remain employed while you job search; it's much easier once you start looking. I'm generally of the opinion that having a job is better than not when looking. Also, once you've gotten an offer you can always agree to start the future job at current date plus some number of weeks and give your current employer a notice of anywhere from zero days to whatever you feel like giving. Unpaid vacation between job switches isn't uncommon.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Also the first interview was for a software engineering position. The HR person said I would make a great fit for this other position (Solutions Consultant or also called Sales Engineer), but I really dont know much about sales. From what she described it sounded like a good fit, research, preparing persuasive presentations, lots of little projects etc. Can anyone here comment on these sort of positions as far as job satisfaction? What do you like about your job?

You may have hosed up, but depending on the company they may very well have a standard offer that they will give you regardless (I think this is common for at least some of FAANG). That offer may not be negotiable anyway unless you have a competing offer. Either way it isn't the end of the world, it sounds like whatever they offer you will be a big step up and a year or two from now you can try to flip that to something higher at another company if you really want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

downout posted:

You'd be surprised how much you can coast. Might as well see what the lowest amount of effort that is necessary to remain employed while you job search; it's much easier once you start looking. I'm generally of the opinion that having a job is better than not when looking. Also, once you've gotten an offer you can always agree to start the future job at current date plus some number of weeks and give your current employer a notice of anywhere from zero days to whatever you feel like giving. Unpaid vacation between job switches isn't uncommon.

Yeah I just took an extra two weeks off between jobs, would recommend