Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

IBO season 2 was more or less the same quality as the first season. If you didn't like the first season, it wouldn't convert you, but if you liked the first you will probably like the second. It's definitely not an 00 or Code Geass season 2 situation. Also, yeah, Re:Rise is pretty good. A bit of a slow start but it all pays off in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Clip-On Fedora posted:

That sounds promising. I will check it out.

I will say, the first half of Re:Rise is a real slow burn. Especially since the twist is pretty obvious and you see it coming way before it actually happens. But once it does the show gets great, and the slow burn first half is somewhat justified.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

uh oh

I have made a horrible mistake

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
nah, the first ~150 eps of one piece is some of the best anime out there imo

it starts a bit slow tho.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Augus posted:

uh oh

See you in like 2 years I guess.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the sound design on OP anime always bothered me because it reused a lot of dbz noises
but if you start now you can prob catch up with the eventual ending in 2024

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you should just read the manga instead same with dragon ball

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Augus posted:

uh oh

I'll see your mistake and raise you I'm doing the same but only watching one episode a day and not skipping the fillers. I started about this time last year and I'm like 2/3rds of the way through Skypeia.

Bet you're feeling a lot smarter now, aren't you?

E: I may stop doing this when they end up doing the 1:1 chapter episode ratio

christmas boots has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Mar 22, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

I'm really enjoying the early episodes so far, I'll probably switch over to the manga when I get to the point where the pacing becomes unbearable. I think it's somewhere after Skypeia where people generally say it gets really bad?

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Animes I never got to experience as a kid: naruto, dbz, one piece, yugioh. Any of those worth watching just for the hell of it, or at least up to a certain point? I was 100% pokemon but I sort of feel like I missed something

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DBZ Kai is good and has a good dub if that's your thing

Could never get into Naruto because all the characters look dumb as poo poo and not in a goofy way, just stupid lol

Same with One Piece I guess, the art style doesn't jive with me

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Watch DBZ Kai. It's significantly shorter than the original series and better paced. Though you miss some key filler like when goku and piccolo learn to drive or when goku goes to DBZ hell, the home for infinite losers.

YUGIOH is exactly as you imagine it and its also great.

I've started Hunter X Hunter. Thats supposed to be good.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The only bad thing about kai is the final chapters being cropped for widescreen with that weird rear end green tint to everything

The new music is good though - so good that a bunch of songs got reused for Super

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I caught Yu Gi Oh when Twitch was streaming old kids shows a few years back and it was just as goofy, dumb, and entertaining as ever

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's no point in reading the yugioh manga or watching the anime subbed. the dubbed anime is simply perfect.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Stairmaster posted:

i read the db/dbz manga instead of watching the show and it probably saved me from an enormous amount of filler bullshit

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's no point in reading the yugioh manga or watching the anime subbed. the dubbed anime is simply perfect.

you don’t stand a GHOST of a chance

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

yugioh loving rules

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the english and japanese voices are both great
the manga is also great
there's no wrong way to enjoy Yugioh it just kicks rear end

Augus has issued a correction as of 20:45 on Mar 22, 2021

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

sending motherfuckers to the shadow realm

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yugioh owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUW_pip1J5g

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

How is the new Evangelion movie

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The Yugioh manga is great just for the pre-card game chapters where it's about yugi playing air hockey with an ice block on a grill, or drawing flaming mazes with a lighter and hair spray.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The manga is imho the best version as the anime cuts a bunch of important stuff, such as most of the stuff to do with Bakura, but also it's Yugioh you don't have the think about it mch.

The first anime isn't very good but has the best transformation sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX16N3UUDBg

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HXLIQHLqe0

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
god the yugioh dub kicks rear end its so ridiculous

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's certainly got the best version of Kaiba.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEAe9fxQL7w

*sigh*

Dorkfest continues.

(1:03 for the most C-SPAM part of all)

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yossarian-22 posted:

Animes I never got to experience as a kid: naruto, dbz, one piece, yugioh. Any of those worth watching just for the hell of it, or at least up to a certain point? I was 100% pokemon but I sort of feel like I missed something

I watched naruto as an adult and it was so awesome I immediately watched it again with my wife. The ending arc is pretty crap (and a third of the show) but the first 2/3rds is as good as any shonen anime has been. Watch naruto kai!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bootleg Trunks posted:

You won't trick me, there'll never be a forth.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Naruto is one of those rare shows that regular non turbonerd Japanese adults without kids will watch. So was Ranma 1/2, somehow.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I’ll let you know when those fuckers let me actually watch it! :argh:

(Impressions seem to be very positive)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

naruto is actually pretty good at the beginning, you can see why it took off

i do think akira toriyama is a master of the art though so watch or read dragonball

even super is pretty good and shows he's still got it imo.
i love that nerds spent decades working out power level lists and rankings and he comes in and goes "no the most powerful thing is a dog that shoots ki blasts from his feet" or "super saiyan god vegeta is being owned by a tellytubby woman powered by love"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Dragonball was better before the Z stuff, and Dr. Slump was better still.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Communist Thoughts posted:

i do think akira toriyama is a master of the art though so watch or read dragonball

i love that nerds spent decades working out power level lists and rankings and he comes in and goes "no the most powerful thing is a dog that shoots ki blasts from his feet" or "super saiyan god vegeta is being owned by a tellytubby woman powered by love"

Toriyama never took dragonball that seriously and that is what makes it all so good. He's the master of throwing in poo poo for the hell of it because its cool so why not. A lot like JoJo, now that I think of it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Feldegast42 posted:

Toriyama never took dragonball that seriously and that is what makes it all so good. He's the master of throwing in poo poo for the hell of it because its cool so why not. A lot like JoJo, now that I think of it

Trunks and Future Trunks didn't have tails because Toriyama forgot Saiyans had tails

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I used to wonder where Dragon Ball is gonna go after the characters get strong enough to tear apart metaphysics easily and all that, but I guess they're pretty much already there. Like the God of all Existence is now a side character, and it even sometimes gets involved to beat the bad guys. I guess they could make just another race of even more tough beings once Goku powers up past all the gods.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 363 days!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

People taking power levels super seriously was hilarious from the start since they were kind of always just nonsense. The first real use of them (beyond like, farmer with shotgun: power level 5) was Raditz thinking his scanner was broken because of how strong child Gohan was, followed by Goku and Piccolo having their number go up by taking off their shoes and hat.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
ah so this Sopranos bit but the power level goes up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rYYya9FCyw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

the double zeta gundam sucks rear end gently caress this combining gimmick