Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Wonder how many bodies Dabo helped him bury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nodoze posted:

It depends how bad the compensation per person is, but isn't it plausible to set up a per month settlement payment(s) vs one lump sum

Settlements can be whatever they can agree to them being.

Even with payments I don't think Watson could afford to pay out seven figures per.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

fsif posted:

Florio went into overdrive trying to spin things in Watson's favor.

I dunno, seems to me Florio's trying to point at Roger Goodell and screaming "Oh man, you'd better put Watson on the exempt list for this!" so he can claim Watson's scalp

I mean, right thing for the wrong reason...

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Sports Journalism is like "Star quarterback revealed as serial rapist, does this change Houston's strategy heading into the draft?"

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

fsif posted:

I have to think Watson was assured by some powerful people that they could make this go away. My guess is said powerful people didn't recognize the extent of the behavior, but most sports media tried to keep the story buried and Florio went into overdrive trying to spin things in Watson's favor.

Considering human nature is to understate any sort of problem even when doing so is against your interest, it wouldn't surprise me that everything planned up until recently was with the assumption that was like one or two people making accusations.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Saying things like "The Texans or the lawyers are just making this up to get back at him/help trade/etc" gives the impression you don't feel like the victims are being truthful. Believe Women is not "Look for some way to diminish what they say by attributing it to some other reasons."

And maybe it was just a joke, but people read poo poo like that and repeat it and soon enough you have degens going "Well the lawyer ran a bad ad once, so clearly these 30 women are all liars."

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

dirty shrimp money posted:

I dunno, seems to me Florio's trying to point at Roger Goodell and screaming "Oh man, you'd better put Watson on the exempt list for this!" so he can claim Watson's scalp

I mean, right thing for the wrong reason...

We talking about the same Florio?

https://twitter.com/FourVerts/status/1372940714087178241?s=20
https://twitter.com/MikeDugar/status/1372944000001343489?s=20
https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/1372743896854331395?s=21

Or like the framing in all of this: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/18/second-lawsuit-filed-lawyer-claims-six-total-claims-are-coming-against-deshaun-watson/

quote:

The number of Deshaun Watson apparent accusers continues to increase, thanks to the apparent efforts of a Houston lawyer to solicit more clients.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Why is Florio offering him legal advice?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

jesus christ

Mr. Nice! posted:

Absolutely, but he also has a defense that these were just anonymous unchallenged accusations. The NFL won't have a problem with him playing, and criminal charges will be hard to bring if the witnesses are bound by NDA from complaining to police.

I hope he faces charges and the victims are made whole.

At the very least he's unlikely to find any willing instagram massage therapists anymore so that's a win

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 22, 2021

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

If you were making a joke it was a bad one. I'm tired of the wacky "here's how the texans organized this" posts after reading those lawsuits. It's utterly sickening what watson was doing, and to even act like the Texans are the cause of all of this at this point is loving awful.

I'm seeing red. God drat florio you piece of poo poo.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why is Florio offering him legal advice?

Somebody better check his Instagram messages.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

5th lawsuit, #12, has been filed.

https://static.fox26houston.com/www.fox26houston.com/content/uploads/2021/03/Deshaun-Watson-12th-lawsuit.pdf

Pattern of behavior is same as usual, but this particular victim had zero experience with massage therapy or even massages in general. Also Watson was apparently doing this on a weekly basis, looking at the dates of each of these encounters.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Intruder posted:

That was like 9 allegations and 8 lawsuits ago though

https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1374055546853191680

well nevermind

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Because this still isn't news and the only one talking about it is Florio who's going full "women be liars" on it.

And nfl teams won't care if he gets suspended for some games or a season if he's still good for 10 more after that

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Agreed. Don't be McMagic. No one should be blaming anyone here but Watson. He's a monster and serial sexual-abuser.

Chillax. I just said that the lawyer is a bad guy which he is. I wasn't absolving Watson of anything.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He ended up being right but Florio really hit mainstream when he was throwing Vick under the bus as soon as the allegations of dog fighting started. Before that he was just a guy that had a (legit) source within the Redskins organization.

Everyone else was waiting for anything official to happen but Florio was using his knowledge of the system to pull procedural court documents and SPECULATE WILDLY on what they could mean.

This was back when PFT still posted poor quality, racist photoshops. They did that not just of Vick but of the county sheriff in charge of the investigation, who also of course was black.

He's gotten really far in life appealing to his readers racists and sexist tendencies. Still amazed NBC bought him out just to feed him stories and let him speculate on them.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

hearing watson to the panthers for two firsts and bridgewater from my sources

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Carolina should just trade for Watson and then have big bucks Tepper write a settlement check for everyone and make it go away

New market inefficiency discovered, look at me

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I try to avoid pro football talk as much as possible. Florio is mostly dog whistles rather than flat out open racism, but judging by his comments section he is very popular with just flat out open racists. I don't consider him that far off a Joe Rogan.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah I try to avoid pro football talk as much as possible. Florio is mostly dog whistles rather than flat out open racism, but judging by his comments section he is very popular with just flat out open racists. I don't consider him that far off a Joe Rogan.

Florio is a big resistance lib too lol

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Wasn't he doing a ton of covid shaming on people? This guys all over the place lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Intruder posted:

He was still doing this crap three weeks ago? Yeesh

:stare:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lawsuit #13 just dropped.

https://www.scribd.com/document/499843543/Deshaun-Watson-Lawsuit-13

We're now apparently beyond the original 12 that Buzbee had last Friday and are now on the additional 10 women that he mentioned had come forward to him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So how many different women have become involved now?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So how many different women have become involved now?

Still seems to be 22.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lawsuit #13 just dropped.

https://www.scribd.com/document/499843543/Deshaun-Watson-Lawsuit-13

We're now apparently beyond the original 12 that Buzbee had last Friday and are now on the additional 10 women that he mentioned had come forward to him.

Good lord. He ran out of massage therapists so he contacted an esthetician?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ehud posted:

This was in April 2020, before most of the massage therapists. Dude just sought out any woman desperate for business and willing to touch him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah there needs to be a deep dive into what he was up to pre Covid and having to seek out women online.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ehud posted:

The pattern here indicates that he was looking for young, inexperienced women on Instagram who he could plausibly get 1-on-1 time -- and the simplest group to pick through happen to be massage therapists, estheticians, etc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah there needs to be a deep dive into what he was up to pre Covid and having to seek out women online.

He's almost certainly been pressuring girls into handies since he was in high school.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sports Illustrated is calling out the lack of media coverage: https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/22/no-team-should-consider-deshaun-watson-trade-right-now

quote:

The Deshaun Watson that we thought we knew probably does not exist. We all need to commit to that reality and act accordingly. This includes the media, which has largely (though not entirely) tiptoed around the allegations. I suspect it is in part because Watson has spoken up about social justice issues, and he has fought to get away from a dysfunctional franchise, two causes that have endeared him to many in sports media. I don’t think people are giving him a pass for the assault allegations, but if you think most people in the media will go after him as hard and fast as we would go after, say, Curt Schilling, if he faced these kinds of allegations, you are fooling yourself.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

quote:

I don’t think people are giving him a pass for the assault allegations,

If by "people" they are referring to the media at large that they are a part of then they pretty much are giving him a pass by refusing to report on one of the biggest stories in sports.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

wild that watson's not on the exempt list by now

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

pasaluki posted:

If by "people" they are referring to the media at large that they are a part of then they pretty much are giving him a pass by refusing to report on one of the biggest stories in sports.
I think a lot of people are just waiting to see what the league does.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

hifi posted:

It's insane

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

really queer Christmas posted:

If you were making a joke it was a bad one. I'm tired of the wacky "here's how the texans organized this" posts after reading those lawsuits. It's utterly sickening what watson was doing, and to even act like the Texans are the cause of all of this at this point is loving awful.

I think the timing is what made people initially skeptical about the whole situation. That is, until the number of accusers kept getting higher. I'm still leaning towards the "someone in the Texans organization probably suppressed or 'took care' of similar issues in the past but aren't doing him anymore favors" line of thought. With the sheer amount of accusers, you gotta figure he's been doing this poo poo for a long time.

It sucks because Watson was supposed to be the hero who got revenge on a lovely front office but now he's about the most vile piece of poo poo since Darren Sharper.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Black Sunshine posted:

now he's about the most vile piece of poo poo since Darren Sharper. Kellen Winslow Jr

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
It would be something if ESPN wasn’t covering this with much effort because of the NFL media rights negotiations that were still going on earlier this month.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Intruder posted:

Kellen Winslow Jr.

Listened to a Crime in Sports episode about him a couple months ago and he was just sentenced recently, not sure how I forgot about him. gently caress that guy for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

hifi posted:

I don't think the NFL is going to make any moves that would expose.them to a potential lawsuit