Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Simsmagic posted:

Also if you already have access to the private beta up to 10 people can use a referral link to enter it right away. If you wanted to use mine you can go here: https://www.faceit.com/en/r/GbMgUT

Picked up, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
lol clicked the link and it told me i was already part of the beta

heres the link if sims' invite runs out

https://www.faceit.com/en/r/CfNJCC

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

ArfJason posted:

thank you!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ArfJason posted:

Thanks

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"
faceit tried with tf2 pugs before and i think it failed but casual might be neat

i have 10 invites on https://www.faceit.com/en/r/NdHfaD

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So Faceit's anticheat program really doesn't seem to like Team Fortress 2 on my computer, if I try to boot up the latter while the former is running it immediately crashes, and the former won't work at all if a game is running when you try to boot it up, really don't understand what the loving problem is here and it's driving me bananas

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
turn off your cheats

Jewel
May 2, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

So Faceit's anticheat program really doesn't seem to like Team Fortress 2 on my computer, if I try to boot up the latter while the former is running it immediately crashes, and the former won't work at all if a game is running when you try to boot it up, really don't understand what the loving problem is here and it's driving me bananas

the anticheat's only needed if you're flagged as cheating in some form -- maybe something's going on w your general setup that's false-positiving these kinda things, odd. antivirus related, perhaps

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Played a couple games of Faceit PL, both games went down to the final minute on timer. Pretty neat!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Not to be THAT GUY, but what's in it for FaceIt? Given that they're giving away prizes and poo poo, plus the MLM-esque invite poo poo, there's gotta be money involved.

It doesn't NECESSARILY have to be evil, but, y'know, I'd rather know what the score is.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Not to be THAT GUY, but what's in it for FaceIt? Given that they're giving away prizes and poo poo, plus the MLM-esque invite poo poo, there's gotta be money involved.

It doesn't NECESSARILY have to be evil, but, y'know, I'd rather know what the score is.

they're gating features behind a subscription

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Warpy posted:

faceit tried with tf2 pugs before and i think it failed but casual might be neat

i have 10 invites on https://www.faceit.com/en/r/NdHfaD

Grabbed an invite, thanks!

In case these run out: https://www.faceit.com/en/r/q1Qx1j

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

they're gating features behind a subscription

for the most part csgo is the game that gets gated the most -- the only things they gate for TF2 are the "quests" give you "points" that you can cash out for hats, but you can only do half of them without a subscription. So, completely useless unless you think you can make back more than the cost of the sub; or don't care about the points

e: vvv maybe! but I don't think it's happened to csgo yet? and matches last a lot longer than tf2 matches

Jewel fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 15, 2021

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

If TF2 Faceit kicks off that there's a siginifant queue time you can absolutely bet there will be a premium thing for it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jewel posted:

the anticheat's only needed if you're flagged as cheating in some form -- maybe something's going on w your general setup that's false-positiving these kinda things, odd. antivirus related, perhaps

I don't even have an anti-virus program running on my computer besides Windows Defender, so I don't think it's that, the anticheat makes a text log of what it blocks and the only things it was blocking when I try and boot up TF2 are a pair of random .dll files that shouldn't have anything to do with the game in the first place

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

drrockso20 posted:

I don't even have an anti-virus program running on my computer besides Windows Defender, so I don't think it's that, the anticheat makes a text log of what it blocks and the only things it was blocking when I try and boot up TF2 are a pair of random .dll files that shouldn't have anything to do with the game in the first place

Maybe you should figure out why TF2 is trying to load some random-rear end DLLs then!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i cant play cause faceit doesnt have SA servers for tf2 yet, despite having had csgo and having played on them before (on a different account. a not at all legit looking one even!!)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm way out of practice. Am I more likely to have a better pub / randos experience with facit or community.tf?

E: Thanks Warpy for the invite!q

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 16, 2021

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I saw this and thought it was pretty neat

https://twitter.com/ceno02/status/1370725749750173701?s=20

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Heran Bago posted:

I'm way out of practice. Am I more likely to have a better pub / randos experience with facit or community.tf?

I can safely say that, if you can successfully find your own arse with both hands, you will be better than the bunch of useless chancers that faceit keeps matching me with

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
played a faceit match. had to set my region to us for it to even let me try it because there are no south american servers. joining was pretty buggy, got stuck in a weird spectator mode, but once i got in, it was fine. except for the 200 ping. it was pretty rough. the other team had 2 heavies with medics who knew how to uber, and a competent sniper, so we were pretty much doomed. i couldnt do much as any class but at least i got to cap the first point.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Every FaceIt game so far has been either a nailbiter that comes down to the final seconds of the stopwatch or an utter faceroll that's over in minutes. Curious to see how balance shakes out as more games are played.

Average skill level seems higher than pubs, with at least a few competent people on either team, though I imagine it's lower than the community servers that have managed to survive this long.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Got into Faceit with the public release, seems pretty awesome to be honest

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
The Iron Bomber really is some bullshit

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It still has an enormous projectile hitbox for no reason, right?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Jabor posted:

It's slightly bigger, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT9j0sjrkm4

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

The hitbox is comically larger but because of how hits are calculated the effective extra distance you can "miss" by and still hit is pretty small.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

How are hits calculated

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
by adding and substracting, duh.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This game owns and I wish I got more into it when it was huge. If you can get a good game going without hilarious skill differentials I'm not sure I've had as much fun in a FPS. Feels like the missing link between arena shooters and the team based stuff people gravitate towards nowadays*

*last decade or so

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

This game owns and I wish I got more into it when it was huge. If you can get a good game going without hilarious skill differentials I'm not sure I've had as much fun in a FPS. Feels like the missing link between arena shooters and the team based stuff people gravitate towards nowadays*

*last decade or so

For that matter, generally it handles skill differentials fairly well as long as they're spread across both teams. One of the reason a lot of TF2 successors fall flat imo is the shift towards small 5-6 player teams means there's a lot less room for deadweight, it's a lot easier for one good player to stomp or for one bad player to tank the game.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

For that matter, generally it handles skill differentials fairly well as long as they're spread across both teams. One of the reason a lot of TF2 successors fall flat imo is the shift towards small 5-6 player teams means there's a lot less room for deadweight, it's a lot easier for one good player to stomp or for one bad player to tank the game.

Absolutely agree. The entire 5v5/6v6 format means that you also feel worse when you play bad And likely to get singled out which breeds toxicity. It also precludes a lot of the interesting gamemodes that make tf2 varied with the smaller team size.

I think small teamsize games are good in their own way, much more ~esportsy~, but we really do need more larger scale games like 12v12s, it's shocking how few good arena/hero shooters there are though, so variations just haven't had time to develop in the relatively small market space.

I am hoping overwatch 2 is at least a better balanced game since they're fully rebalancing it after having learnt from their lessons of why players didn't like the initial chokepointy slow-push design, so at least that might be somewhat fun of a game to sink my teeth into, but I am very cautiously optimistic (and even if it is I still think that game has zero visual or pesonality charm)

Jewel fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 23, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jewel posted:

I am hoping overwatch 2 is at least a better balanced game since they're fully rebalancing it after having learnt from their lessons of why players didn't like the initial chokepointy slow-push design, so at least that might be somewhat fun of a game to sink my teeth into, but I am very cautiously optimistic (and even if it is I still think that game has zero visual or pesonality charm)

There's rumours OW2 is going to be 5v5 which will won't help matters for anyone but the top tiers + pros

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
From what I’ve seen, it seems like OW2 is focusing primarily on the PvE elements that were shoehorned into OW. I think small games for that is fine and can be fun. I haven’t heard that they are shrinking to 5v5 for PvP since it’s going to be cross platform with OW in PvP.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

From what I’ve seen, it seems like OW2 is focusing primarily on the PvE elements that were shoehorned into OW. I think small games for that is fine and can be fun. I haven’t heard that they are shrinking to 5v5 for PvP since it’s going to be cross platform with OW in PvP.

it's less "cross-platform" with OW and more OW1 is being completely deleted and replaced with OW2 for free. the pve is essentially a seperate game that you buy, the pvp changes/new graphics/new heroes is a free upgrade.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jewel posted:

Absolutely agree. The entire 5v5/6v6 format means that you also feel worse when you play bad And likely to get singled out which breeds toxicity.

Oh man this might be why I hate mobas

e: or at least their communities

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So judging from the last few pages, tf2 lobbies are dead and the best way to play with people nowadays is through some weird 3rd party matchmaker?

rip my childhood

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Xun posted:

So judging from the last few pages, tf2 lobbies are dead and the best way to play with people nowadays is through some weird 3rd party matchmaker?

rip my childhood

The normal matchmaking queue is perfectly fine, it's just the 3rd party one is better. The bot problem in the normal queue is still there but not as bad as it used to be.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You can find plenty of games without bots during normal hours. But early hours (3-6am) of the morning? Forget it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Last time I tried playing tf2 it was impressive how fast players would identify and kick bots

But also every time a bot was kicked there was a new one within a few minutes so it really felt more like everyone was trying to bucket water out of a sinking ship, but all the buckets had holes in them