Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I had a good smile on my face for Ninjon's intro to the terrain video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

No one mentioned Juan Hidalgo? I think he is number 1 on my list, even tho I dont always get his jokes his tutorials are fantastic.

VV is close second, but kinda dropped off his tutorial videos since he fell in love with oils. I for some reason still listen to his Warhammer Weekly, even tho I dont play AoS, and barely know anything about current lore and game mechanics. His voice annoys my wife.

Now Brent of Goobertown used to freak me out (mostly because he just reminds me of Chuky). But I run into his "Social Justice and Games Workshop" video and it got me hooked, I went back and watched all his stuff, just because of his silly personality, amazing crown of hair. Also my wife likes his cats.

When I run out of the above, I do occasionally check Squidmar and Midwinter, but not a fan.

Miniac is okay, but the fuckin growling "PAINT MORE MINIS" poo poo at the end of his videos makes me cringe every time (and I grew up on 90s black metal).

Ninjon is too fresh for me, only watched like one video. We will see.

Honorable mention: Marco's accent is mesmerizing!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Goobertown's "Starting out painting" video got me back into the hobby. It was probably the algorithim since there were videos before that that served the same purpose but that's the one that hooked me.

Vince is the king for finding specific advice about some particular part of painting because he's got a million videos that covers everything. Dana Howl is fun to watch and her style is pretty fun. She's Canadian too so I gotta support CanCon at all times :canada: .

Marco is fun to see how to approach mini painting from a more artistic point of view and encouraged me to experiment and try to mix colours. Miniac and Ninjon are fine but I feel like I don't get a lot out of their videos. Midwinter is a bit hit and miss, but I liked his video where he, a guy who normally speed paints everything, tries to paint a figure to as high a standard as he can and gets it judged by a Golden Demon winner.

Billion Dollar Clown Farm doesn't get much attention, and probably isn't for everyone, but I appreciate how dedicated he is to Orks and doing stuff like making ork terrian out of garbage.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Painted up one of these D&D minis and it was a blast. Painting huge muscly men is something I definitely enjoy way too much.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Made a fair bit of progress today after work

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Painted up one of these D&D minis and it was a blast. Painting huge muscly men is something I definitely enjoy way too much.

He looks so excited about 'zerking

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Verisimilidude posted:

If be proud to have that as my barbarian PC.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Noone has mentioned miscast yet. Does a ton of terrain building/sculpting/molding content.

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 23, 2021

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Yeast posted:

Goobertown is lovely but man that voice is crazy. the Internation and how every 3rd word is draaaawn out. I’m not American so I don’t know if that’s an accent but it’s super strange.

I'm not sure of his exact origins and current town, but his LGS is in Southern Maine. Accents in Maine are a mix, with the "yessah Mainah" accent more prevalent in the Central and Eastern parts. Brent has a touch of it, but its mostly just the way he has a monotone sound rather than word pronunciation.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Yeast posted:

Goobertown is lovely but man that voice is crazy. the Internation and how every 3rd word is draaaawn out. I’m not American so I don’t know if that’s an accent but it’s super strange.

I'm starting to think Youtube is messing around with voice tracks on videos at this point, since everyone sounds like a robot with a poor command of the language.

That, or online cultural osmosis has bred a generation of vid makers that subconsciously alter their natural voices to sound like the droning robotic narrations you hear constantly on youtube.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

:staredog:

Pretty sure they actually did get Henry Cavill to agree to something (they're coy about exactly what) and are waiting for covid restrictions to ease.

In that case, I take back my lol and give him a tentative bravo if Geralt of Krypton shows up via skype or something in one of his future videos.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
iirc, he and cavil grew up in the same town and possibly frequented the same LFGS so that's how the whole thing came about, also he was going to donate any revenue generated from it to charity so that seemed nice

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I am 99% convinced that Brent front Goobertown is a Mike Judge character

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Fingat posted:

but its mostly just the way he has a monotone sound rather than word pronunciation.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

a generation of vid makers that subconsciously alter their natural voices to sound like the droning robotic narrations you hear constantly on youtube.

It is really weird! I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed it. Lovely guy, but yeah - if he wrote a book I'd get someone else to narrate the audio version :)

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That, or online cultural osmosis has bred a generation of vid makers that subconsciously alter their natural voices to sound like the droning robotic narrations you hear constantly on youtube.

As someone who runs a podcast, I can tell you there's no way you can produce quality content without mixing it and applying some "FX." You need a noise gate, a peak leveler, an equalizer and a compressor at the minimum. Even if microphones have come a long way, there's still always background noise to remove, and unless you make the voices sound a bit warmer it really doesn't sound good. Radio does it all the time, just in real-time, and the music industry as well obviously.

Now maybe there's a tendency to converge to a similar-sounding template. I haven't particularly noticed on YouTube but for podcasting it's definitely true, and some push it too far (I'm looking at you Jocko).

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Been using a cool trick lately that some people here might appreciate. If you're interested in pigment powders but don't want to settle on a specific color, get yourself a set of cheap soft pastels and some low-grit sandpaper. Just rub the pastel colors you want on the sandpaper (you only need a tiny amount for an individual base) and start applying as you would normally apply a pigment powder. You can quickly and easily do this with multiple colors, giving you a varied look to your bases and effects that's a bit more realistic than one pigment.

I use this in conjunction with my red oxide Vallejo pigment powder and my bases are looking much more interesting now than before. I'll grind up some yellow, orange, and brown and it blends nicely with the red oxide powder.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've heard that ground up sidewalk chalk can be useful for larger terrain

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
So took some full army shots of my Thousand Sons. I won't post all of them here, but I'm really proud of this. I started this last February. This is my first 40k army collected and painted. They ain't perfect, but I like how they turned out.

Tried a panoramic shot.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Do you (to thread) ever go back and do the bases on units later on?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I paint so slow I just do them after I finish each model. Adds maybe an extra half hour or so and it's liberating getting to be so messy and creative with them. Even though my bases for my current army aren't exactly unique detailed little works of art at the moment or anything.

Oh and I do my bases seperate from the model, I'm one of those guys.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Oh and I do my bases seperate from the model, I'm one of those guys.

I was surprised by the number of "just do the base after you glue the mini on" sort of responses I got when I asked a similar question a few weeks back :v:

I much prefer to paint the mini, then do the base, then glue the mini onto the base.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do you (to thread) ever go back and do the bases on units later on?
I always do. I usually wait until I finish a whole squad, then do all the bases last. I also tend to paint squads in an assembly line fashion, so it works with that natural flow.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm doing that right now and I'm sort of regretting it because after applying some ground texture it's hard to get the model to look like it's actually standing on the ground, if that makes sense. Maybe I need to add some more ground texture after I glue the model to the base?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Pin the feet on the model, put it on the base, build up the ground texture on the base and around the feet, remove the model before it all hardens up (if using a texture medium), paint the base and add various details then glue the model back on the base via the pins.

E: If you're really building up the ground then do a base layer of texture, drill holes for pins and stand your model on the base and build up more ground texture if it's floating then remove the model and detail the base etc

Eej fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 24, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Eej posted:

Pin the feet on the model, put it on the base, build up the ground texture on the base and around the feet, remove the model before it all hardens up (if using a texture medium), paint the base and add various details then glue the model back on the base via the pins.
this is how i do it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

First Viking done, my first shot at doing metal miniatures. Got a bunch of militia half finished

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Painted up a Reaper bugbear and some wolves for an upcoming D&D game.

The mold line across the fur of the bugbear is giving me a headache but it was also a dirt cheap mini so I don't feel too bad about it.

Whole thing took me about an hour.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Yeast posted:

In my opinion, the best production levels go to 52 miniatures tho.

Swedish guy, and every video looks like its been shot with a crew. Lighting, audio, camera are all on point. Absolutely stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L19Im-LX8g0&t=154s

Today I was giving a little lecture and noticed that when deliberately trying to speak slow in order to be clear, that I started to talk like this guy. I thought it was perfect for teaching so I ran with it and kept going like that. Thanks youtube.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Verisimilidude posted:

The mold line across the fur of the bugbear is giving me a headache but it was also a dirt cheap mini so I don't feel too bad about it.

Even with the mold lines, I love those reaper bugbears, they are so much fun to paint. They're also pretty easy to convert, change the shields and weapons.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

Great paintjobs.

And I get that a lot of speed comes with practice but man that only taking you an hour is pretty incredible to me too.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

Great paintjobs.

And I get that a lot of speed comes with practice but man that only taking you an hour is pretty incredible to me too.

contrast paints and an airbrush helps immensely. For quick minis you don't want to spend too much time on, a zenithal and some contrast paints goes very very well, especially in a mini with lots of rounded detail like this bugbear.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Cross-posting from the Oath thread!
Completed another batch for my Mordheim warband.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Cross-posting from the Oath thread!
Completed another batch for my Mordheim warband.

:stare: these are so beautiful. Love it!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Crossposting from the 40k thread, just because I mostly like how this guy turned out.

Funzo posted:

Painted up a Salamander. Making an effort to use an airbrush more, and I think this guy turned out pretty well. I still completely suck at using transfers though.

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
About to try varnishing some miniatures for the first time, and I'm not sure where to start when it comes to actually picking up a brand. Everywhere I looked people recommend Testors Dullcote, but as far as I can tell the spray version isn't on the market anymore. Is there a good alternative out there? The more beginners friendly, the better. If it matters, I'm hoping for a matte finish, but I do make use of metallic paints.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Krylon matte varnish always works great for me

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

The Easy Rider posted:

About to try varnishing some miniatures for the first time, and I'm not sure where to start when it comes to actually picking up a brand. Everywhere I looked people recommend Testors Dullcote, but as far as I can tell the spray version isn't on the market anymore. Is there a good alternative out there? The more beginners friendly, the better. If it matters, I'm hoping for a matte finish, but I do make use of metallic paints.

Dullcote ain't poo poo these days. If you want a lacquer varnish, go with Mr. Hobby. That said, the acrylic mattes out there now are really excellent, if you don't specifically need a lacquer. Vallejo Mecha Matte is the flattest varnish I've ever used, and it's braindead simple to use. If you don't have an airbrush, it still brushes on extremely flat.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Xposting this guy from the Specgames thread. Tried out chipping and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Will using a varnish (or even better, a layer of gloss followed by a layer of matte) help make spindly bits less fragile? Or like, models where they're glued to the base by only their big toe or something?

I have a handful of models that will fall apart if I look at them wrong, and I'm wondering what the best way to reinforce them is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What model is that? Very cool pose / shield. I like how yours came out