Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

JT Jag posted:

I think a lot of people are just waiting to see what the league does.

That's fine for most of us btw but not fine for the media.

By ignoring the poo poo they are being equivicating cowards picking favorites based on who they like or dislike which has long been why alot of Sports Journalism sucks.

The media doesn't even have to bother investigate this poo poo they have to be able read the complaints and maybe add 1+1 together to figure out holy poo poo there is a pattern here.
It's almost like this is obvious predatory behavior that is described/alleged in explicit detail.

Outside of the Houston metro it feels like this story hasn't even pierced the national consciousness yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

JT Jag posted:

I think a lot of people are just waiting to see what the league does.
Goodell will put Watson on the Exempt List for "unspecified reasons" and announce a second Pink Month to raise awareness about violence against women, scheduled for November.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

pasaluki posted:

That's fine for most of us btw but not fine for the media.

By ignoring the poo poo they are being equivicating cowards picking favorites based on who they like or dislike which has long been why alot of Sports Journalism sucks.

The media doesn't even have to bother investigate this poo poo they have to be able read the complaints and maybe add 1+1 together to figure out holy poo poo there is a pattern here.
It's almost like this is obvious predatory behavior that is described/alleged in explicit detail.

Outside of the Houston metro it feels like this story hasn't even pierced the national consciousness yet.

IDK, lots of people I know who aren't total sports geeks are talking about it here (Denver), that's totally anecdotal but the story is making the rounds, and it's on the front page of the sites I checked (espn, nbc sports, cbs sports). I guess the algos haven't amplified it enough yet though?

wyoak fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 22, 2021

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

really queer Christmas posted:

If you were making a joke it was a bad one. I'm tired of the wacky "here's how the texans organized this" posts after reading those lawsuits. It's utterly sickening what watson was doing, and to even act like the Texans are the cause of all of this at this point is loving awful.

For the sake of balance, a mea culpa:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I don't expect Rodger to do anything till after the draft

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There are plenty of people who think Cosby is innocent.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
It's the second chyron on espn.com

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

wyoak posted:

IDK, lots of people I know who aren't total sports geeks are talking about it here (Denver), that's totally anecdotal but the story is making the rounds, and it's on the front page of the sites I checked (espn, nbc sports, cbs sports). I guess the algos haven't amplified it enough yet though?

I mean by the time they started reporting it there had been more victims than original Pokémon but no your right they are right on top of it, nothing gets past these intrepid reporters.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I don't expect Rodger to do anything till after the draft

Unless the press picks up on it hard this is my read, they can slime their way out of having any opinion at least until the draft and probably OTAs if criminal charges aren't filed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So when are the first Texans team meetings?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So when are the first Texans team meetings?

New coach so like mid May if memory serves.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
If only the Texans were on hard knocks this year

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Crazy Ted posted:

Goodell will put Watson on the Exempt List for "unspecified reasons" and announce a second Pink Month to raise awareness about violence against women, scheduled for November.

November is the ARE TROOPS :911: month. They’d do it for a week or two in September or some poo poo like that.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Thread of events that’s will be updated as new filings happen.

https://twitter.com/mwc13_3/status/1374078148183212036

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm not hooked into Texan Twitter. Have any of his teammates or former teammates commented on the situation?

I know there's that one guy who went off about false accusations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tytus Howard, yeah

I haven't seen anything else though

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

One player messaged Albright and said “no way”

This was when it was just one accuser though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

One player messaged Albright and said “no way”

This was when it was just one accuser though.

He must've left out the rest

"no way

he did that only one time"

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

fartknocker posted:

November is the ARE TROOPS :911: month. They’d do it for a week or two in September or some poo poo like that.

Did the NFL ever stop charging the military to do that poo poo?

They always do everything so bad that they found a way to gently caress up cancer research on account of Susan G Komen being a poo poo-tier charity.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Is Buzbee still the only attorney for any of the plaintiffs?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

GD_American posted:

As far as we know, yes. It’s entirely possible other therapists are pursuing claims but have not yet filed suit. Hell, it’s possible there are other women who already settled, but signed NDAs so we’ll never know about them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

As far as we know, yes. It’s entirely possible other therapists are pursuing claims but have not yet filed suit. Hell, it’s possible there are other women who already settled, but signed NDAs so we’ll never know about them.

Can NDAs ever be circumvented?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can NDAs ever be circumvented?

Lol, people break NDAs all the time now

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Lol, people break NDAs all the time now

I’ve never actually really thought about the implications of breaking an NDA. Say Watson paid off a woman for like 10k. If she comes out with what happened is she now criminally liable or just on the hook financially? Would Watson have to personally sue her?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Black Sunshine posted:

Did the NFL ever stop charging the military to do that poo poo?

yes, just another in the long line of awful decisions by the NFL

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
IANAL, but I thought it turned out that NDAs aren't actually that enforceable, but your average person is unaware of that

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Zaradis posted:

For the sake of balance, a mea culpa:

Is that kobe Bryant's melted face?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shinji2015 posted:

IANAL, but I thought it turned out that NDAs aren't actually that enforceable, but your average person is unaware of that

if they broke the NDAs now it'd be almost impossible for Watson and his lawyers to prove that the damages he sustained from their testimony amounted to anything significant given the other 22 accusations

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

half cocaine posted:

Is that kobe Bryant's melted face?

yea that's def kobe

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

GD_American posted:

i think it is considered bad practice to open a competing/redundant case to suits that have already been brought for the same thing

like if you were one of the women and tried hiring some different lawyer, that lawyer would probably just tell you to join the existing case since buzzbee has already been putting together the resources, files, and paperwork

within the same jurisdiction i don't know if the judicial system would even hear both cases

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what if one of them wanted to press criminal charges?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

PupsOfWar posted:

i think it is considered bad practice to open a competing/redundant case to suits that have already been brought for the same thing

like if you were one of the women and tried hiring some different lawyer, that lawyer would probably just tell you to join the existing case since buzzbee has already been putting together the resources, files, and paperwork

within the same jurisdiction i don't know if the judicial system would even hear both cases

What? No, not even close.

Any new accuser could choose a different attorney. No Attorney is going to say "yeah go with that guy, I don't want to make money and get publicity".

Any new accuser would be an entirely new case, a judge isn't going to throw it out because the guy assaulted some other woman and she sued first.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wouldn't multiple attorneys make it *less* likely that everyone gets dismissed?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

PupsOfWar posted:

... what state is this? What? Thats literally a constitutional violation lmao explain more now

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’ve never actually really thought about the implications of breaking an NDA. Say Watson paid off a woman for like 10k. If she comes out with what happened is she now criminally liable or just on the hook financially? Would Watson have to personally sue her?

It's a civil agreement, enforcement of it is a civil action. It'd be on Watson's attorneys to petition the court for judgement.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

If you don't know the answer, you can just say you don't know. Don't just make poo poo up

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GD_American posted:

It's a civil agreement, enforcement of it is a civil action. It'd be on Watson's attorneys to petition the court for judgement.

And on the woman's attorneys to defend on grounds that the NDA agreement is void as against public policy to cover up a crime. Some more musings on how that might come out in this article: https://sites.law.duq.edu/juris/2018/05/13/the-trump-clifford-non-disclosure-agreement-violation-of-public-policy-and-the-first-amendment/

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Why isn't Watson on the commissioner's exempt list yet?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Scipiotik posted:

What? No, not even close.

Any new accuser could choose a different attorney. No Attorney is going to say "yeah go with that guy, I don't want to make money and get publicity".

Any new accuser would be an entirely new case, a judge isn't going to throw it out because the guy assaulted some other woman and she sued first.

Well, why have a lot of the high-profile multi plaintiff #metoo cases been handled this way, then

If there is no legal reason for it, there must be a practical reason, such as the first attorney to file having all the info and paperwork together already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I imagine having more plaintiffs gives them more credibility and also that the lawyer is more familiar with the details of the case so it makes sense to go with him

I'm not sure if you can use the other accusations in court if the cases aren't linked since there hasn't been a ruling