Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

I hope the new PPA stable is called All the Pretty Horsemen

gently caress

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

fez_machine posted:

Emi Sakura is in the youtube chat!

Ask her what Leyla's got on her gear

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

neoaxd posted:

I can never not hear "MY GOD IS A GENTLEMAN"

Lol same.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

karmicknight posted:

"shooter boots"

Are they only lovely little boots when Roddy wears them?

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

I like this Ishii match

His pantomime has gotten great

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How's the show been?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

How's the show been?

really solid, and lots of angles! worth watching imo

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

explosivo posted:

How's the show been?

It's been good, not overall as good as last week but still pretty drat good. Certainly the best wrestling you'll see on a monday

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

How's the show been?

Get this, 3 main events

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

I'm really digging Leyla's gear looking like actual sportswear

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Sick german.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

smarxist posted:

smarxist posted:

Testekill posted:

It's been good, not overall as good as last week but still pretty drat good. Certainly the best wrestling you'll see on a monday

:tipshat:

I really like Leyla but man, her strikes look weak. Sick german tho goddamn

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Brock is like the anti Austin. Undemonstrative.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Ryo has such nasty strikes, it rules.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

explosivo posted:

:tipshat:

I really like Leyla but man, her strikes look weak. Sick german tho goddamn

Ryo has enough strikes for the both of them

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I like both of these ladies a lot

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the rollllllllllllllllllllllll

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Beef beef beef

Or the lady version of that. Which I guess is also Beef Beef Beef

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i like the respect put on Layla's armbar, as soon as she tries for it people freak the gently caress out like they did when Rousey was trying to lock it in

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

sick finish

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Horray aniki

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
that win makes me think Aniki is sticking around for awhile

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I appreciate that none of these matches felt like simple squashes. Everything had back and forth, everything had a little bit of time for it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man I wish Leyla would get a big win soon but otoh they def see something in her, putting her up against the best in the division one by one.

Ryo winning wasn't something I expected though---is there a chance she's staying?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

DLC Inc posted:

man I wish Leyla would get a big win soon but otoh they def see something in her, putting her up against the best in the division one by one.

Ryo winning wasn't something I expected though---is there a chance she's staying?

Shida shared a picture of them getting lunch together the other day, so seems like it, otherwise she probably would’ve left with Maki two weeks ago.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

She's almost certainly staying long-term.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao she literally said she would be retired by now if not for AEW why did anyone think she wouldn't be staying long term

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

She was always going to stay. Very vocal about the only thing keeping her from retiring was wrestling in AEW. She's also Kenny's favourite Joshi wrestler.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Alaois posted:

lmao she literally said she would be retired by now if not for AEW why did anyone think she wouldn't be staying long term

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Alaois posted:

i dunno what work visa situations and short term/long term crap looks like w/r/t pandemics and whatnot, i just figured cuz the world sucks Ryo would have to go back to Japan lol

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I think she's going to retire.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

smarxist posted:

i dunno what work visa situations and short term/long term crap looks like w/r/t pandemics and whatnot, i just figured cuz the world sucks Ryo would have to go back to Japan lol

those problems are presumably why, despite having planned to be full time AEW sometime like last summer, she's only made it over now.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I think she's going to retire.

She's moved to Florida so she's halfway there.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

fez_machine posted:

She was always going to stay. Very vocal about the only thing keeping her from retiring was wrestling in AEW. She's also Kenny's favourite Joshi wrestler.

didn't know about that, that's awesome. she's a fun person to have in the women's division so I hope she's there for the rest of the year!

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

I'm just gonna drop my thoughts on elevation here because I was too lazy to livepost (but I wasn't so lazy that I didn't take notes, I guess.) I also didn't see most of the matchups prior to the show so it all a surprise outside of Hirsch/Aniki

Conti/Lyn - Seemed solid. Tay's DDT continues to look like it could be detectable on the Richter Scale from 3 states away. Someone needs to inform -1 in that exit sequence that :chast2b:

Ryzin/Max Caster - Max's lyrics were getting better once he started moving away from the lolgay jokes they contained at the beginning, but now we're making period jokes so that's just swell :geno:. Ryzin got a chant though! He's moving up in the world!

Johnson/Priest - I don't know what was going on but it seemed like there was a lot of confusion with certain spots and kinda just seemed rough overall. No real interest in either of these guys right now.

Blondes/Fuego and St.Patrick - I'm not that hot on the blondes so this was my bathroom break match. The Tornado DDT that Fuego did hit at the end there looked REAL rough. I'm not sure it was even supposed to be one? That's just what Tall Paul and Toney called it as.

Decent video package with Velvet, glad to see her getting screen time, speaking of-

Swole and Velvet/Bates and Wrenkowski - I'm a little surprised at the amount of storytelling they put into Leva despite only letting her wrestle once a fiscal quarter. I enjoyed her leaving Madi to die and subsequently clapping for Swole and Velvet. Also interesting to see the Vixens (I'm just including Jade in there now even though it might be a one-off feud) taking promo lessons from Sting by just walking out and staring at people a bit before leaving. That bit sounds sarcastic, and it is, but honestly yay Jade with Nyla/VG, it may have been predictable but sometimes its okay to just give the people what they want.

I felt absolutely nothing at the Ethan Page promo. I'm not sure if cutting a nothing promo is better than cutting a bad one. I think it is?

Yo Kid/Job Squad - Was expecting this to be a squash, but hey it wasn't! Only spot that stood out to me really was a top rope dive near the end that Nelson hit on Starks (I think) and he looked like he was going about mach 5. It was great.

Limelight/Black - I missed Limelight getting wins somewhere I think, but I want Black to start getting some wins so I figured tonight might be the night. It wasn't. I don't think I will ever give much of a poo poo about Limelight as a wrestler but he had great energy during this match. And Tall Paul is really into telling me who is a veteran.

Not Ziggler/Cassidy - I thought the little in-ring story they were telling with Nemeth trying to keep Cassidy's hands out of his pockets was cute. Ultimately meaningless, but a nice exercise in in-ring storytelling. Dunno so much about whatever that loving hip-wiggle taunt he was doing though. Also I couldn't help but notice that it was extremely ironic that, of the two people in the ring, the one who could effortlessly camouflage themselves in a vat of sunny d is the one not named 'Orange'. gently caress yea putting JD Drake into a storyline, make him all elite BBT.

Alan 'V' Angels of The Dark Order/Ethan Page - This match was facing an uphill battle because I only really care about V on BTE or in the Sammyvlog, and I only care about Page when his first name is Adam. -1 Giving V a pep talk right before the match was great. Honestly I enjoyed the match overall, no spots really stood out to me, I just though it was well paced, well wrestled, and V went flying off that Ego's Edge which was great. Tall Paul DID make the mistake of calling Dark Order a cult but I'll forgive him this time.

Hirsch/Aniki - Didn't know who to expect to win. Hirsch just became All Elite so I was expecting her not to lose her first match after getting signed, but on the other hand, they weren't just gonna have Ryo fly out to lose her title shot, then immediately have her lose her next match on the C-Show. Here's a short list of things I wanted from this match:
1)A meaty person slapping the poo poo out of the other meaty person.

A short list of things I received from that match:
1)That

Excellent. *****, Dave your services aren't required here.

Thank you all for reading my post.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lethrom posted:

Someone needs to inform -1 in that exit sequence that :chast2b:

"Keep your eyes up front, kid." -Toney

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Ryo is so drat fun. Really enjoyed that main event.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like giant crowds would eat her up, she had great energy and character

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dark Thoughtavations

Still no title sequence

1) Tay Conti vs Ray Lyn. I remember Ray Lyn being pretty solid last week. She's got attitude. Paul, you don't need to call every move. There's some nice technical stuff here. VERY nice spinning kick from Ray Lyn. Rome Hat sighting in the crowd. Tay does the Suzuki thing of smiling more each time she gets hit, I really like it. Spinning backbreaker looked great. And then that execution Hammerlock DDTay and it's over. Fun little match. Hope the slightly mushmouthed commentary isn't a sign of the show to come.

2) Lee Johnson vs Adam Priest. Big Shotty is still not a good name. let him be Shotgun Lee Johnson. Johnson's gear is looking better these days. Some nice smooth chain wrestling to start. Priest isn't bad, muscular little dude with some very solid strikes. Got some real power behind him. The match is coming together better than the last few Johnson matches. Johnson and Priest both could do with a tour somewhere like Dragon Gate or DDT where they can build up some non-US experience and have a match every night. Jeez, is that finisher new? It looks devastating.

Ryan Nemeth interviewed in a pink corridor. Pretty good promo, but I chuckled about Nemeth bragging about being trained when talking about Orange Cassidy. Orange. Cassidy. Hollywood Honk.

3) Varsity Blonds vs Fuego del Sol and Jake St Patrick. I like Jake St Patrick. Nice positive attitude. This must have been a 3AM taping because Tall Paul sounds exhausted. St Patrick dances out of a couple of Pillman holds. He's not smooth yet, but he's getting there. And Griff is becoming a really great territories big face. He feels like someone who would have done great business in World Class back in the day. However he's also got the power and aggression where he could be a very effective bully heel one of these days. Pillman has improved a fair bit, too. He's not as good as his partner, but he's not having to be carried to anything. And I love Fuego, obviously. So Fuego can hit the tornado but is yet to capitalise on it

4) Max Caster vs Ryzin. This could be fun. "I heard you go streaking because you're weird" was good, but the rest of it was a bit eh. Anton LaVey shout out from commentary. Pro Wrestling's Paul Simon? ? I like Ryzin, he's got tons of character, he's not bad in the ring, and he fundamentally does the job of enhancement talent perfectly: he makes his opponent look better. Was that a Cassidy taunt post-pin?

Red Velvet package. Full credit to Red Velvet, she was given a huge hill to climb with the Jade / Shaq match, and she really made a good show of it. She still needs confidence and seasoning, but the way you get those is to wrestle more, so good for her.

5) Leva and Madi vs Red Velvet and Big Swole. Swole. Swole. Swole theme is the biggest banger they've got. I absolutely love Swole and Velvet together. Hoping they work around Bates' limitations. Thus far they've kept things pretty tight by only requiring Leva to do basic things. her snap suplex isn't bad. Wrenkowski has got a lot better lately and it's clear that Swole and Velvet have more stuff they're willing to do with her than with Leva (not a knock on Leva who I love as a character). Love when they get Swole to be a powerhouse. Know your friends are your enemies or something like that. Oh, and I like the spot of Leva abandoning Madi. Nice character work.

Oh poo poo, Jade and Nyla as a team. I am absolutely here for this. Give me this as a tag.

Ethan Page does a pretty good arrogant promo. I would have preferred if the numbers line was "The only numbers I care about are 1-2-3".

6) Starks and Hobbs with Hook vs Nelson and Isaacs. Team Bus Seat Pants have impressed me so far. God, Hobbs is fun. Agile and powerful and used just right. And that smile of his is evil. And I do love Ricky. I wish they'd let him do his video promos again, because those were always awesome. Fun little tag.

7) Danny Limelight vs Baron Black. "The Radioactive Papi" is a BAD nickname. Just awful. Danny, you can do better. Speaking of doing better, Baron Black continues to need better gear. gently caress, Limelight is so agile. The corner headstand was incredible, although the kick it resulted in looked weak. See how much better Black looks with the straps down? Just give him some tights! This is a really fun match, honestly. The camera angle on Limelight's submission was bullshit, but the submission itself seemed pretty great.

8) Hollywood Honk vs Orange Cossidy. Chuckie T comes out with Orange because Greg still got that broken titty. I continue to get real Scrappy Doo energy from Nemeth. The two of them are not quite gelling here. After a while they find each other's rhythm. I'll give Nemeth the credit that he goes frustrated arrogant heel very well. Love that Cassidy flipping DDT. Liked Nemeth's dropkick, but it came in response to a flying nothing from Cassidy and I never like that. Very nice mousetrap pin. Perfectly respectable little match.

Nemeth attacks OC, Chuckie runs in, and JD DRAKE comes out as muscle! I would be happy to see this pairing. It didn't deem to get much response from the crowd though.

9) Ethan Page vs 5. Good and simple story of power vs speed here. Page is big enough to yeet people around, Angels is quick enough to rush in with some lightning kicks and get out before any retaliation. Paul, I know you didn't mean what it sounded like you meant by the Tax Season line. Page is impressing me here. Athletic big lad style, some nice heel work, I think he's got something. Throw Spears out of the Pinnacle and put him in. I'm very much enjoying the Page bullying and Angels fighting from underneath. Good semi-main

Decent basic promo after.

10) Ryo Mizunami vs Leyla Hirsch. Aniki bringing that Glam Butch energy strong. Hirsch is cool as gently caress and has such swagger to her now. She's shorter than you which means your vulnerable spots are easier to hit. Good power struggle to start, and a HELL of an elbow strike from Leyla on the ropes. gently caress, Ryo ran her OVER with that shoulder tackle. Ryo's clowning is always gold, and I love that Leyla has NO loving time for it. Leyla showing Edge how to do a top rope hurricanrana. This is a great match, really hard hitting, a ton of skill on both sides, and real passion shown. Excellent submission from Ryo at the end. Wow, this elevated both participants. Leyla looked tough as nails here.

Overall, this was a better structured show than last week. Less filler, more matches that mattered, but still space for new people to show up and show out. Give me a theme tune, lock the format at 90 minutes, and let Paul work out all the rust in his commentary game and this is a winner.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s so weird how the show doesn’t even have a title card. It’s just straight in to random matches. They could at least throw up an graphic of the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

So, has anyone dubbed the Nemeth/Drake team the Honk and Chonk Connection yet?