Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Ice racing is either snowmobile helmets or I have a pair of these that worked well for my snow rally. https://ride509.com/products/kingpin-ignite-heated-goggle-2021

I talked to a guy who ice races in Wisconsin before getting them and he said the other trick folks do is to just tape their goggles to their face so nothing gets in from your breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Strife posted:

I'm generally good to about 28° F; any colder and I can't keep my forehead warm. For some reason nobody makes a heated helmet or heated visor for motorcycle helmets, so I have no idea how dudes race across ice in Serbia. But that stuff generally means I can ride for about 10 months of the year up in Massachusetts.

Schampa warmskin balaclava. It keeps the head and neck warm down to icy temps, you can wear it open face or over your nose if you're fogging up the visor.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I have the klim Arctic balaclava and it’s very warm too.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Pics will be incoming in about an hour or so once I get it home (and get the joyriding out of the way), but I bought a Scout 60.

Short review, it's so much faster than my vulcan 900. And I don't have to pretend to have an Indian anymore.

edit: pictures will come now.

I suck at taking pictures. Initial thoughts: the hand grips suck, need to be replaced with something a bit cushier. Feel more like plastic than rubber. I might stand to get a 1 inch riser for the handlebars as well, but that's just because I have short stubby arms and want to lean back a bit, as it is I'm sitting upright with my arms straight. Leg angle is about 95 degrees, and I have a 28 inch inseam, so if anyone ever says they have a long leg reach I don't know what's going on. Definitely not mid controls, but not a stretch.

Engine is rev happy but pretty tame, and I'm not missing that 5th gear they took out between 4th and 6th (I don't know why they removed it, but it doesn't really need it, so I guess that's why). I like having a (digital) tachometer, but wish it had a fuel gauge. Front brake is really grabby, much more bite than the single disc on my kawasaki. I don't even miss the second disc I thought I wanted. I had read that some people had pegs scraping, but in my mildly spirited riding that hasn't happened. I haven't leaned it farther than I ever normally do on my old bike(s). Maybe if I had a sportbike background or was treating it like one.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 4, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just lean further, nothing bad will happen I promise, and scraping pegs is really fun!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Slavvy posted:

Just lean further, nothing bad will happen I promise, and scraping pegs is really fun!

Oh yeah, to me it was an invitation to go further. The engine definitely feels like it has more to give, and if I ever get bored it has plenty of performance potential to uncork.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You done good.

Excellent bike, so pretty, great handling and friendly.

FYI, if you're going up sloping right hand corners, the exhausts might scrape a bit. You can cut them down a bit, or get aftermarkets (personally I'd get shorter aftermarket black ones).

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
i saw a honda fury in the wild today. it didn't look as ridiculous as the pictures on honda's website make it look. still a goofy looking bike, though.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

The Sex Cannon posted:

i saw a honda fury in the wild today. it didn't look as ridiculous as the pictures on honda's website make it look. still a goofy looking bike, though.

I don't understand the purpose for a production run of a "custom chopper." A buddy of mine has one, and I think he's replaced nearly every single part on that motorcycle with something he's fabricated himself, except for the motor and most of the frame. I have to find a picture of it, but it looks super cool while parked, but like the most uncomfortable bike in the world in motion. It has drag bars and extended forward controls, so he looks like a capital C when he rides. Or like the less-than symbol <.

edit:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I know this is a little out of left field, but chopper chat has reminded me of something I've been looking at since HD released their Pan America video. It's probably unrelated, but after I watched that I had this clip recommended to me by Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dbf5i75O98

It's about an old biker / chopper builder named Tom Fugle. I'd never heard of him, but I noticed his shirt said "Des Moines" on it, and when I watched the credits, it said the clip was filmed in Sioux City. This is where I'm from, so I did a little more research. He was the founder / president of the El Forastero1% MC.

He's featured in the film "21 Days under the Sky," which feels like a 90 minute advertisement for a lifestyle brand that sells $500 axes and beard balm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k7M2GnP3mk

The riders in that film make a pilgrimage to Sioux City to fawn over Tom and talk about how real and authentic he is.

All this jogged some memories and I was like, oh yeah, the son of the people who lived across the street from me in Sioux City used to hang out with the Forasteros, got mixed up with them and another MC, and was brutally murdered.

Basically what I'm saying is, while choppers and such are cool, gently caress these guys who are fawning over Tom Fugle and the dirtbags he hung out with. They try to make him look like some kinda kindly grampa and he was just a POS.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Authentic, artisanal gangland murder. Australia has a similar thing about worshipping psychopaths - not just 'outlaws' in general, but the batshit chopper reed types that should really be in a small room with a smaller window somewhere but go on speaking tours instead. Thankfully nz doesn't do it because all the notorious historical gangsters are brown and we're staunchly racist.

Strife posted:

I don't understand the purpose for a production run of a "custom chopper." A buddy of mine has one, and I think he's replaced nearly every single part on that motorcycle with something he's fabricated himself, except for the motor and most of the frame. I have to find a picture of it, but it looks super cool while parked, but like the most uncomfortable bike in the world in motion. It has drag bars and extended forward controls, so he looks like a capital C when he rides. Or like the less-than symbol <.

edit:

You're confusing Honda product design with your friend's mental illness.

Honda decided 'custom chopper' was a viable product segment and decided to grace Honda's loyal following with the opportunity to finally buy one built to the high standard discerning Honda customers expect.

Your mate is a compulsive tinkerer for it's own sake, seen hundreds of cases, there is no cure. Normally HD have those people on lock though.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Slavvy posted:

Authentic, artisanal gangland murder. Australia has a similar thing about worshipping psychopaths - not just 'outlaws' in general, but the batshit chopper reed types that should really be in a small room with a smaller window somewhere but go on speaking tours instead. Thankfully nz doesn't do it because all the notorious historical gangsters are brown and we're staunchly racist.

You're confusing Honda product design with your friend's mental illness.

Honda decided 'custom chopper' was a viable product segment and decided to grace Honda's loyal following with the opportunity to finally buy one built to the high standard discerning Honda customers expect.

Your mate is a compulsive tinkerer for it's own sake, seen hundreds of cases, there is no cure. Normally HD have those people on lock though.

poo poo it's a good thing I'm not much into the chopper look, otherwise I'd be just like the victim friend in question. I just couldn't afford the harley.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Stupid question:

What are these sorts of bolts called, that attach saddle bags to the side of the bike?

Where can I buy some?

I have just regular bolts and who the hell wants to faff with a hex key to get the bags off...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is called Harley Davidson part number xxxxx-yyyyy

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Steakandchips posted:

Stupid question:

What are these sorts of bolts called, that attach saddle bags to the side of the bike?

Where can I buy some?

I have just regular bolts and who the hell wants to faff with a hex key to get the bags off...

Here you go!

https://www.amazon.com/WINALL-Motor...802190590&psc=1

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nevermind, I can't read.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Anyone ridden a Rebel 1100? Nearby Honda only has a couple on the floor, and isn't giving out demo rides. Felt good to sit on though :butt:

I've only ever bought used privately so buying a new bike from the dealership is the intersection of "expensive" and "not 100% sure I'm gonna like it".

epswing fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 23, 2021

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Goddamn did they really have to make it a swastika?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

Whoa

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
getting my bike out this weekend. its been 50s-60s and im excited as all hell.

Also you have no idea how much I want that indian vintage dark chief. I dont want the lcd gps screen unless its well worth it but god I love that bikes look.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

As Nero Danced posted:

Yeah thats a really unfortunate way to lay those out and I definitely did not notice it at first.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Valt posted:

Yeah thats a really unfortunate way to lay those out and I definitely did not notice it at first.

Definitely intentional.

advrider.txt

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I’m not going to buy from a Nazi.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Yeah I mean that was like the first result I got on the search. I'm sure there are a million places you can buy those. Its just a quick release for a saddlebag.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Why is the H-D XR1200 rather desirable?

Looks?

Performance?

Handling?

Someone clue me in. I ask because Cult Motorcycles has one in, and they generally only do fancy schmancy (used) desirable bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Looks?

Performance?

Handling?

Yes

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Steakandchips posted:

Why is the H-D XR1200 rather desirable?

Looks?

Performance?

Handling?

Someone clue me in. I ask because Cult Motorcycles has one in, and they generally only do fancy schmancy (used) desirable bikes.

I guess that depends on which one you are asking about. The original one from the 70s had backwards heads and a bunch of crazy stuff. The new one is just a sportster with a bunch of bolt on stuff. But they didn’t sell very many because no one cared. Since it’s supposed to be a replica of a dirt track bike.

This is what that is based on

https://silodrome.com/brief-history-harley-davidson-xr-750/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It isn't just bolt on stuff, the frame itself is different and it has different heads that are not compatible with a normal sportster motor. It is by far the best all-round bike harley have ever shat out so it makes sense that nobody bought one.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Slavvy posted:

It isn't just bolt on stuff, the frame itself is different and it has different heads that are not compatible with a normal sportster motor. It is by far the best all-round bike harley have ever shat out so it makes sense that nobody bought one.

Alright, its still attempting to emulate a dirt track bike from the 70s. So its what ever really, they are rare though.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

epswing posted:

Anyone ridden a Rebel 1100? Nearby Honda only has a couple on the floor, and isn't giving out demo rides. Felt good to sit on though :butt:

I've only ever bought used privately so buying a new bike from the dealership is the intersection of "expensive" and "not 100% sure I'm gonna like it".

I have had my Rebel 1100 for 3 weeks now and it rules so hard. Light, fast, comfortable, and looks sweet as hell. Feel free to ask me anything about it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The Sex Cannon posted:

I have had my Rebel 1100 for 3 weeks now and it rules so hard. Light, fast, comfortable, and looks sweet as hell. Feel free to ask me anything about it.

How comfortable is it after a couple hours, and how tall are you?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

How comfortable is it after a couple hours, and how tall are you?

6' tall. The seat isn't the best, tbh. I've only been on one multi-hour ride so far, and after about two hours, my rear end was definitely falling asleep. I've already ordered a new seat for it, though. Switching seats will take approximately two seconds, as the key can be used to open the under-seat storage by popping the seat off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Valt posted:

Alright, its still attempting to emulate a dirt track bike from the 70s. So its what ever really, they are rare though.

Not really sure what your point is, every bike on earth is trying to emulate some bs from the distant past. It's just styling, the bike itself is a quick and capable street bike that retains the sportster's distinctive chassis feel, I wouldn't take one anywhere near a dirt track.

There's a trend on this forum of judging bikes the way a corporation would ie how many did they sell, what was the intended market etc etc but that has no real bearing on the qualities of the bike itself; either Harley customers were too stupid to buy the best bike they ever built, or Harley were too stupid to market it to non-Harley buyers (or both!) but that doesn't change anything about the bike itself.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Not really sure what your point is, every bike on earth is trying to emulate some bs from the distant past. It's just styling, the bike itself is a quick and capable street bike that retains the sportster's distinctive chassis feel, I wouldn't take one anywhere near a dirt track.

There's a trend on this forum of judging bikes the way a corporation would ie how many did they sell, what was the intended market etc etc but that has no real bearing on the qualities of the bike itself; either Harley customers were too stupid to buy the best bike they ever built, or Harley were too stupid to market it to non-Harley buyers (or both!) but that doesn't change anything about the bike itself.

Wise point that every bike emulates some ephemeral thing from past years. Even the first motorcycles were trying to emulate bicycles/horses or whatever.

For as long as I've been on this forum, the xr1200 has been your favorite. My buddy who builds hawks rode one last year, and I couldn't get him to tell me about it. Best I could get is that the hawk was better and the HD was nothing to write home about. Who knows, though. It certainly looks cool, and 90HP is a fine power output. I assume the torque makes up for it.

Looking at our US market, it's the same story as always. The xr1200 is priced astronomically. There are too many better and lighter bikes you can get for that money. Currently, you can get a used FTR1200 for the same money. Another bike that is emulating flat tracker heritage that I wouldn't take to the dirt track and should have been 750cc instead of 1200cc.

I don't know that people here are judging a bike's goodness based on sales numbers. A bike that doesn't sell well is kind of a pariah because of limited parts and information support.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Maybe it’s region dependent but you are not buying a used FTR for the price of an XR1200 on the east coast. I’ve seen higher mileage XRs for 6-7k, and have yet to see even pristine examples for sale over 10k. I can’t find a single FTR for sale under 10.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm on the east coast and a non-s FTR can be found for sub-10k very easily.

Here is one for 9k
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2019-Indian-Motorcycle-FTR-1200-Thunder-Black-5005613024

Meanwhile, I'd have to go up to Illinois to find a decent XR1200 for sub 9k. And the FTR is obviously better than the HD on paper. They are very similar bikes in a very similar price range.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

moxieman posted:

Maybe it’s region dependent but you are not buying a used FTR for the price of an XR1200 on the east coast. I’ve seen higher mileage XRs for 6-7k, and have yet to see even pristine examples for sale over 10k. I can’t find a single FTR for sale under 10.

We were getting brand new 0 miles FTRs from the dealers at the end of the year last year for £9999.

I suspect it'll be the same this year, if anyone wants one in the UK, get one around Christmas.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I was looking for an XR1200 before I bought my scout and had no luck, but as soon as I bought my bike two or three popped up in NC between 6700 and 7400 (I remember the prices because I was really angry they weren't listed a few days sooner). The majority I can find on cycletrader are closer to 10 grand but that seems to be the ceiling, and FTRs are dipping down to 9 grand already.

I still want to test ride an XR one day, but a combination of rare (and rare good) model and "It's a Harley I KNOW WHAT I GOT" is going to keep the prices inflated.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

I really want an XR1200R as well, but theyre going for 12k euros here :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

https://www.cultmotorcycles.co.uk/ourbikes/dog-lr87j
£7595 here.

Buy it here and ride it to Europe.