Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Evans is great in everything. Need a Losers sequel, Jensen was the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1374066127702257666

this is curious given that the character hasn't exactly had much of a profile in the comics in recent years, and has never even had a solo miniseries. gonna guess she isn't going to become the host of the Phoenix Force like she looks to be doing in Jason Aaron's Avengers run

Is she a Flag Smasher?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
doing a deeper dive into Marvel past

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/blade/critic-reviews
https://www.metacritic.com/movie/blade-ii/critic-reviews

how the gently caress were they so wrong

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Barry Convex posted:

this is curious given that the character hasn't exactly had much of a profile in the comics in recent years, and has never even had a solo miniseries. gonna guess she isn't going to become the host of the Phoenix Force like she looks to be doing in Jason Aaron's Avengers run
I'm still not sure why Rich Johnston was running with that rumor, given that it's based primarily on a female-silhouetted cover featuring "the new Phoenix", and while Echo was part of the initial Phoenix Tournament, she got knocked out pretty early. I was actually trying to build a bracket for it awhile ago but that got hard and this is wildly off-topic but:

Original Phoenix Pool: American Eagle, Black Panther, Captain America, Doctor Doom, Echo, Howard the Duck, Luke Cage, Man-Thing, Moon Girl, Nighthawk, The Orb, Red Widow, Shang-Chi, Shanna the She-Devil, Valkyrie (Jane Foster), Wolverine

Match-Up from Avengers #40: Captain America d. Doctor Doom

Match-Ups from Avengers #41: Black Panther d. Man-Thing, American Eagle d. Luke Cage, Shanna d. Moon Girl, Valkyrie d. The Orb, Shang-Chi d. Hyperion, Red Widow d. Howard the Duck, Black Panther d. Nighthawk

Match-Ups from Avengers #42: [spoiler]Namor d. Echo, Captain America d. Shang-Chi

The above issue came out on February 3rd. Then this issue came out on March 3rd.

Match-Ups from Avengers #43: Red Widow d. Black Knight, Shanna d. American Eagle, She-Hulk d. Jane Foster, Black Panther d. Wolverine

Meaning that as of March 3rd, the surviving Phoenix candidates are Black Panther, Captain America, Namor, Red Widow, Shanna, and She-Hulk leading into the final issue of the arc, due out on April 7th.

So why exactly Rich decides to post a "hey I bet Echo is the new Phoenix!" article on March 5th, I don't know. It's apparently based on a variant cover of Echo in a straitjacket for the forthcoming altered-reality Heroes Reborn event, while a different Heroes Reborn solicit mentions that "the new Phoenix" is in the Ravencroft Asylum. It's entirely possible just like anything in a made up comic book is, but it seems like pretty thin justification for the idea that plans are changing/plans ever existed.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

RYYSZLA posted:

It's because he's got America's rear end

Unlike Nu-Cap who will likely be America's rear end in a top hat. I admit that I hope I'm wrong and that he turns out to be a basically decent person who's just letting himself be used.

Azhais posted:

Evans is great in everything.

He really is. At the least he's good. He was good as one of the ex-boyfriends in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. And I'd love to see a reaction video of somebody who's only known him as Captain America as they're watching Knives Out.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 23, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Everyone posted:

Unlike Nu-Cap who will likely be America's rear end in a top hat. I admit that I hope I'm wrong and that he turns out to be a basically decent person who's just letting himself be used.

if Nu Cap is good and Flagsmasher is unequivocally good, then are the bad guys The Falcon and the Winter Soldier?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Azhais posted:

Evans is great in everything.

He really is. At the least he's good. He was good as one of the ex-boyfriends in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. And I'd love to see a reaction video of somebody who's only known him as Captain America as they're watching Knives Out.

Lid posted:

if Nu Cap is good and Flagsmasher is unequivocally good, then are the bad guys The Falcon and the Winter Soldier?

The bad guys are the racist bankers we met along the way. And probably Zemo whenever he turns up.

Besides, just because someone isn't specifically, willfully evil doesn't mean they can't be scary, dangerous and do a poo poo-load of harm without desiring to do so. Hell, look at Wanda from WandaVision

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Everyone posted:

Besides, just because someone isn't specifically, willfully evil doesn't mean they can't be scary, dangerous and do a poo poo-load of harm without desiring to do so. Hell, look at Wanda from WandaVision

yes but they gave up at the last moment and the cognitive dissonance where at the end Wanda was not portrayed as a villain but "oh what a realistic depiction of grief" made it the MCU version of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czLYl4fM8yk

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

stev posted:

How has John Hamm not been cast in the MCU yet?

He can return as the archangel loving Gabriel.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

live with fruit posted:

Almost Hawkeye.

West Virginia.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Azhais posted:

Evans is great in everything. Need a Losers sequel, Jensen was the best

Still love that movie. And he was. The whole delivery/elevator/escape scene sold me on liking Evans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETOVI7NCLG4

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 23, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Evans has always been great, he's the best part of Not Another Teen Movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wyatt Russell does have an extremely punchable face and his acting career is mostly playing obnoxious characters that the audience wants to punch in the face.

Exception: he was in the WWII action-horror flick "Overlord" as a grizzled badass and it is 1000% obvious that everyone agreed he should just channel his dad circa Escape from NY/The Thing and he nails it. The movie is worth it for him alone. It's like finding a secret Kurt Russell 80s actioner that never got released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKgJtlJDPcc

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I thought Overlord was Wolfenstein?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lid posted:

With the serial numbers filed off, yes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Azhais posted:

Jensen has been around too. Almost superman, almost captain. Tho he's finally getting to be a super in the boys

Not just a supe, he's getting to be the Boys universe equivalent of Cap.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Disney is now saying that the premiere episode of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is the most watched premiere of any Disney+ show, beating out The Mandalorian Season 2 and Wandavision.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Everyone posted:

He's back in the Scott Pilgrim sequel too

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lid posted:

yes but they gave up at the last moment and the cognitive dissonance where at the end Wanda was not portrayed as a villain but "oh what a realistic depiction of grief" made it the MCU version of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czLYl4fM8yk

First, Goofy's take on Evanescence kind of rocks.

Second, why does Wanda have to be portrayed as a villain? Why can't she just be someone whose lack of control over her powers and herself caused a horrible situation?

Do you think the fuckwits who did this started out going "Mu-hu-ha-ha! Soon our evil plan will begin. We will reveal our baby's gender to the world and then laugh as that world burns! Watch as we villains unleash our villainous villainy!"

The truth is that Wanda is much more dangerous and threatening if she's not portrayed as a villain. There's probably a fairly limited number of deliberately evil people in the world. But careless, greedy, lazy and thoughtless? They're everywhere all the time. The scary part of Wanda isn't her plotting world domination. It's her getting stuck in traffic when her and Vision's song comes on the radio and before she can stop herself, 100 square miles gets "Westviewed."

Everyone fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 23, 2021

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Disney is now saying that the premiere episode of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is the most watched premiere of any Disney+ show, beating out The Mandalorian Season 2 and Wandavision.

I call bullshit.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Everyone posted:

Second, why does Wanda have to be portrayed as a villain? Why can't she just be someone whose lack of control over her powers and herself caused a horrible situation?

Do you think the fuckwits who did this started out going "Mu-hu-ha-ha! Soon our evil plan will begin. We will reveal our baby's gender to the world and then laugh as that world burns! Watch as we villains unleash our villainous villainy!"

The truth is that Wanda is much more dangerous and threatening if she's not portrayed as a villain. There's probably a fairly limited number of deliberately evil people in the world. But careless, greedy, lazy and thoughtless? They're everywhere all the time. The scary part of Wanda isn't her plotting world domination. It's her getting stuck in traffic when her and Vision's song comes on the radio and before she can stop herself, 100 square miles gets "Westviewed."

Unlike the Bucky we saw in this episode who's done much more intentionally evil things without a shred of pushback from fans, she doesn't hate herself and that's loving unacceptable for the emotionally crippled marvel fanboys whose fragile inner worlds are completely based on shame and guilt.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Philthy posted:

I call bullshit.

The userbase on the platform has had accelerated growth so every new show has probably more total viewers.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Philthy posted:

I call bullshit.

I could believe it, D+ had some huge momentum after WV. I could believe people were more hyped than they were about WV before the first episode of WV aired. It's hard for me to believe they're gonna be able to maintain those numbers, though, since FATWS isn't the greatest match for the kind of people WV attracted. Like, my fuckin MOM watched Wandavision and loved it and doesn't really give a poo poo for normal Marvel movies.

I hope they go full-in on the racism theme. Make it explicit that the US government is uncomfortable with a black Captain America. Give us something interesting here. Like sure Buck & Falc have great chemistry but if that's all this show is I'm gonna get bored fast.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think WandaVision is the first marvel show in a long time,(I haven’t seen agents of shield), where a wrongdoer isn’t really punished, and is even praised.

Every other property so far has been didactic with musical stings about who is good, who is bad, and never letting a villain really win at the end of things. (Thanos won once but then had to lose twice.)

All the things that made Bucky an rear end in a top hat happened in a movie that came out in 2014.

If the previous 21 entries in the series have moral certitude, people might miss it when it’s gone.

(This thread is living proof that ambiguity in the depiction of racism can also fly way, way over peoples heads.)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

XboxPants posted:

Unlike the Bucky we saw in this episode who's done much more intentionally evil things without a shred of pushback from fans, she doesn't hate herself and that's loving unacceptable for the emotionally crippled marvel fanboys whose fragile inner worlds are completely based on shame and guilt.

What has he intentionally done while not being brainwashed? Wanda enslaved and tortured thousands of people, and only apologized for the torture part cause that was unintentional. Had Agatha not revealed that they were being hurt I'm reasonably confident that the sitcomverse would still be operational.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lid posted:

Hell yeah, that’s why it’s great. Someone made a late 80s/early 90s pulp Nazi-mulching WW2 monster movie that managed to have reasonably memorable minor characters, solid leads, and fun action. It’s good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm watching the Assembled on WandaVision and mostly i just wanted to see the B&W stuff in colour, but a lot of really cool info on it. Most amazingly, the Malcom in the Middle opening was sung by the lead singer of Bikini Kill. I knew it sounded familiar.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hell yeah, that’s why it’s great. Someone made a late 80s/early 90s pulp Nazi-mulching WW2 monster movie that managed to have reasonably memorable minor characters, solid leads, and fun action. It’s good.

Isn't Fitz in it?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I'm watching the Assembled on WandaVision and mostly i just wanted to see the B&W stuff in colour, but a lot of really cool info on it.

Oh hell hun, that baby blue kitchen for the first episode was loving gorgeous, it's a crime we never saw it in full glory.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't Fitz in it?

Granted you can't really see his face, but he's the thumbnail in the YouTube clip posted up thread.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Everyone posted:

Well, sure, but I'm okay that he doesn't do that in the first episode of the show.

Oh, absolutely. I was responding to the people saying things like "Bucky should buy the boat" or "someone will sink the boat" or whatever. That's missing the point, Sam has to make the decision for himself.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Azhais posted:

Wait, what?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Reading this thread has been a trip. Gold medal in mental gymnastics for a lot of folks.

Show was great. Can't wait for Ep. 2.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RYYSZLA posted:

It's because he's got America's rear end

Still say that a big turning point of superhero movies was studios realising they're great excuses to cast the most sexy and charismastic men they can find, get them ripped and put them in tight outfits. Thor started with him running around naked for a reason.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Azhais posted:

I can’t find anything about a sequel aside from Wright doing some vague ruminations about maybe revisiting the material.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

XboxPants posted:

Oh hell hun, that baby blue kitchen for the first episode was loving gorgeous, it's a crime we never saw it in full glory.

And everyones outfits in full colour. I loved that the crew and audiance where also dressed in period clothing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The_Doctor posted:

I can’t find anything about a sequel aside from Wright doing some vague ruminations about maybe revisiting the material.

Ahhh, my bad, I just saw something on imdb. Was just a table reading of the movie for charity

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Everyone posted:

I sort of agree with your position, but Wanda in the show intentionally keeps up the Hex despite being made fully aware, multiple times by multiple characters, that’s she’s hurting people.

It stops being about her grief and chaos and all that other philosophical stuff when Vision goes “you’re hurting people, they are literally begging for death, you have to stop” and then she tries to MIND WIPE HIM so he stops bringing it up? The wishy washy Sit-Com window dressing does a great job of obfuscating it in a silly fashion, but Wanda is fully and completely cognizant of what she is doing, like when she walks out of the hex, threatens all the soldiers to leave her alone (meaning to let her continue to mind control thousands of people who are literally begging for the sweet release of death), and then walks back into the Hex and then SUPERCHARGES it.

Your position makes perfect sense for Wanda in episode 1, but by the end of Episode 9 she has had like 5-6 direct opportunities to stop torturing thousands of innocent people and instead she selfishly CHOOSES, like actively consciously chooses, to keep doing it. That’s a villain, that’s villainy.

https://twitter.com/skullmandible/status/1374328543514136581?s=21

I watched the episode two times. First time I was like “wow cool Falcon is cool” and second time I was like “drat Sam just rackin’ up the body count huh?”

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 23, 2021

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

I sort of agree with your position, but Wanda in the show intentionally keeps up the Hex despite being made fully aware, multiple times by multiple characters, that’s she’s hurting people.

It stops being about her grief and chaos and all that other philosophical stuff when Vision goes “you’re hurting people, they are literally begging for death, you have to stop” and then she tries to MIND WIPE HIM so he stops bringing it up? The wishy washy Sit-Com window dressing does a great job of obfuscating it in a silly fashion, but Wanda is fully and completely cognizant of what she is doing, like when she walks out of the hex, threatens all the soldiers to leave her alone (meaning to let her continue to mind control thousands of people who are literally begging for the sweet release of death), and then walks back into the Hex and then SUPERCHARGES it.

Your position makes perfect sense for Wanda in episode 1, but by the end of Episode 9 she has had like 5-6 direct opportunities to stop torturing thousands of innocent people and instead she selfishly CHOOSES, like actively consciously chooses, to keep doing it. That’s a villain, that’s villainy.

https://twitter.com/skullmandible/status/1374328543514136581?s=21

I watched the episode two times. First time I was like “wow cool Falcon is cool” and second time I was like “drat Sam just rackin’ up the body count huh?”

Wanda has the same motivations as the main villain of Resident Evil 7.

"Welcome to the family, son!"

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

fractalairduct posted:

Oh, absolutely. I was responding to the people saying things like "Bucky should buy the boat" or "someone will sink the boat" or whatever. That's missing the point, Sam has to make the decision for himself.

Eh, even Luke Skywalker needed someone to torch his family to give him a kick out the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Thundercracker posted:

Wanda has the same motivations as the main villain of Resident Evil 7.

"Welcome to the family, son!"

Which incidentally is also the plot of Pokemon 3.