Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wound up keeping so many swords in my chest for sentimental reasons but never actually using them. It was nice to finally get like a display area for swords in the final DLC so I could feel less disappointed about the cheese sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

There's also an auto-loot mod that will have Geralt pickup w/e around him according to custom filters, iirc. If this isn't a first playthrough and you don't care for tracking crafting materials for alchemy - this is the mod for you.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wound up keeping so many swords in my chest for sentimental reasons but never actually using them. It was nice to finally get like a display area for swords in the final DLC so I could feel less disappointed about the cheese sword.

You keep the cheese sword as a conversation piece :allears:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
More show casting: Graham McTavish as Djikstra.

Guess he won't be a big hulking dude, but that's pretty perfect otherwise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So from smooth Italian mobster Dijkstra to Caledonian Mafioso Dijkstra, eh?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That guy has way more of a Thaler vibe

itry
Aug 23, 2019

More like Dijkstracula. Netflix likes to keep hiring actors they've already worked with.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yep, same. This is my curse in any rpg, it was nice for the game to let me make use of them.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/780

AMM is also a mod I would highly recommend if you're the kind of person that doesn't want to wear a weird mismatch of gear. Wear whatever you want and look however you want.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man the non-Cat and Wolf gear looks so bad.

Exception: towel Geralt

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

PittTheElder posted:

Man the non-Cat and Wolf gear looks so bad.

Exception: towel Geralt

Manticore school gear is my jam, just because it looks like the first armor you get

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ok i wanna do a playthrough with a fuckton of mods, like the FCR, magic spells, poo poo like that. I'll need the script merger to get them all working right?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Cat gear looks best at the Enhanced or the Mastercraft level, I don't like how many studs everything gets and the hood is a crime in a game with facial animation this good.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yea I forgot about those, the starting armor did look boss.

YggiDee posted:

Cat gear looks best at the Enhanced or the Mastercraft level, I don't like how many studs everything gets and the hood is a crime in a game with facial animation this good.

It's true. I hate how nonsensical video game armor gets, why are those Toussaint knights not wearing mail under their plate? Everyone needs to copy the Kingdom Come: Deliverance system.

queeb posted:

ok i wanna do a playthrough with a fuckton of mods, like the FCR, magic spells, poo poo like that. I'll need the script merger to get them all working right?

I mean there's merit in merging it all yourself (use Beyond Compare!) but yea.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 22, 2021

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Bear gear best gear

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I liked the bear gear because I liked the trench coat look, but also it looks nice and warm for going around the viking lands. I tried to keep mixing things up though. Wolf armor was okay, but there was some issue in my game where one of the versions wasn't quite modeled right so it didn't quite line up with some of my pants so Geralt just had a little midriff of absolute void between his torso and legs. Griffin armor was okay, but it had a bad color and I didn't wanna spend time fooling around with dyes. Manticore gear looked like something I'd genuinely expect somebody in the 19th century to wear, like a vampire hunter with a shotgun.

It's interesting how the armor split things between fairly realistic bulky and comfy armors like that red gambeson with armpit plates so you can look like Santa and less realistic spandex-chainmail armors that hug Geralt's figure impossibly tightly as if the material had zero thickness and was infinitely flexible.

I also liked wearing mitten-like glove armor.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Do we have any idea what happened to the big ray tracing graphics overhaul they announced? I thought I read it was outsourced but now I can't find any info on that and with the current 2077 situation I'm assuming if it was in house it's cancelled.

If it's not I'd really love to wait for that to replay.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

oh god i added a ton of mods and now im getting a million failed to merge errors, what have i done

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

great big cardboard tube posted:

Do we have any idea what happened to the big ray tracing graphics overhaul they announced? I thought I read it was outsourced but now I can't find any info on that and with the current 2077 situation I'm assuming if it was in house it's cancelled.

If it's not I'd really love to wait for that to replay.

It's supposed to come out alongside the next gen console ports, last I heard.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

queeb posted:

oh god i added a ton of mods and now im getting a million failed to merge errors, what have i done

Do you have script merger?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do you have script merger?

lol yeah, thats what was throwing the error. then popping a screen where you choose a b or c. i did what i figured was correct, but then the game wouldnt launch, lol

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

queeb posted:

Yeah the merger will fall down hard if there are actual collisions (or just non-text files which can't really be merged at all), and the UI on the manual merger is abysmal. If you have any knowledge of scripting or even just feel comfortable reading code, I'd advise doing it yourself.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

queeb posted:

lol yeah, thats what was throwing the error. then popping a screen where you choose a b or c. i did what i figured was correct, but then the game wouldnt launch, lol

Sometimes you actually choose multiple options to merge. Which mods won't merge?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Conversely the Ghost Mode guy made a pretty comprehensive, actively-updated mod list with merger instructions if you'd like to go down that route

I used this for my most recent playthrough, and the only issues I ran into were the lighting mods causing the occasional crash. Taking them out didn't cause any problems, however.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 22, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im a dumbass, or at least, its not explained very well. when downloading FCR 3 it has all the compatability patches, so im like ok yeah im using this poo poo, ill grab it. turns out those are only for if you're using FCR and those mods and no others, so you dont have to script merger them. so it was tossing a million errors because there were so many conflicts. i removed the compatability patches, merged, and it went together fine, no errors.

do you merge the bundled text too?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

queeb posted:

do you merge the bundled text too?

Nope, just the initial category. The rest is basically left up to load order, which you should be able to easily set if you're using the W3 Mod Manager.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Cross-Section posted:

Nope, just the initial category. The rest is basically left up to load order, which you should be able to easily set if you're using the W3 Mod Manager.

do you use nexus mod manager for it or the actual witcher mod manager?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

queeb posted:

This one: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2678

In addition to allowing you to set load orders, it also can serve as a launcher for Script Merger and editor for all the different config xmls, which is pretty convenient imo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

queeb posted:

Use the witcher specific mod manager, I've never known the Nexus one to work with anything.

Also it's very amusing that all the old mods put "don't use nexus mod manager!" everywhere, then almost in unison, the switch to "don't use Vortex!"

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i realized i want to add unlimited carry weight to my game since this is a 2nd playthrough and i dont wanna deal with that stuff but.. i merged all my poo poo and its working well, i dont wanna break stuff by adding something in!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
You can just use the dev console to increase your carry weight.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wow this magic spells mod is actually really fun. installing the quest reward mod for it is nice, just randomly getting new spell tomes and poo poo.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Yeah it's incredible. It makes combat so much more fun and interesting. I wish it had come out years ago.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Just bought this on sale on Steam but haven't started yet. I suppose of everything I've heard, the only question I have is: just how depressing is this game?

I know there's instances where you can think you're doing the right thing only for negative consequences to crop up later, but is that the whole game? Because that's the impression I get from reading the OP, and man am I not in the headspace for continuous "trying to be good is pointless, the world is only suffering, you're a loving moron for trying to help"". I don't expect a lighthearted romp by any means but if it's just pure undiluted cynicism for 300 hours of gameplay I might either refund or hold off a bit.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

HoboTech posted:

I know there's instances where you can think you're doing the right thing only for negative consequences to crop up later, but is that the whole game?

No, it isn't. Those instances are the things people talk about, for good reasons because they're well done, but in the majority of quests the right thing to do is obvious and you can do a lot of good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

HoboTech posted:

Just bought this on sale on Steam but haven't started yet. I suppose of everything I've heard, the only question I have is: just how depressing is this game?

I know there's instances where you can think you're doing the right thing only for negative consequences to crop up later, but is that the whole game? Because that's the impression I get from reading the OP, and man am I not in the headspace for continuous "trying to be good is pointless, the world is only suffering, you're a loving moron for trying to help"". I don't expect a lighthearted romp by any means but if it's just pure undiluted cynicism for 300 hours of gameplay I might either refund or hold off a bit.

Not as much as you might think. One of the fundamental things about the Witcher as a franchise is how incredibly hopeful it can be. Yes, Velen is peasant misery simulator but it is vehemently not edgelord grimdark. It is people struggling with hardship brought about by poverty and war but you're just as oft to come across decent, well meaning people as you are scumbags.

The Bloody Baron quest is one of the darkest in the whole game because it deals with domestic abuse, alcoholism and PTSD, but even it has the chance for a hopeful outcome. It's more about being dramatic rather than being dark for the sake of dark. The Baron is a bad person who has done awful things but he's still a complex individual who is not above sympathy and generosity. It's messy and complicated, like many instances in real life where there isn't a clear cut right and wrong. He tends to be more on the side of wrong but he's not so far gone that he doesn't realize how lovely he is.

The channel Super Bunny Hop best described Witcher as "R-rated Shrek" and I think that is a very apt description. It's very funny, deals with complex emotional issues and has a whole heaping of postmodern reinterpretation of fairy tales and folklore.

The DLCs take this even further. Hearts of Stone can be very bleak and unsettling but it also has an amazing quest that is just Geralt cutting loose and crashing a wedding because he has to help a raunchy ghost have a good time for one last night. Blood and Wine has him go to Tuscany/Switzerland/French Riviera Disneyland for a vacation with a slight serial killer problem.

While the marketing for the Witcher games has always been good, it has had the problem of misinterpreting the games as being nonstop edgy. It got so silly that Witcher 3 specifically makes fun of its own trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0i88t0Kacs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC8ya-KqB7Q

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 29, 2021

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

HoboTech posted:

Nah. Game is good and fun and goofy and Geralt is the furthest thing from edgelord you can get. He's a loving dork and shows off his dorkiness a lot throughout the story. It can be depressing, dark, morose, and sad. But it can also be uplifting and joyful and funny and affirming. It's a really good game!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HoboTech posted:

The first chuck is the darkest, as it is Peasant Misery Simulator, however it then continually pulls itself up from that as the story progresses. So if you think its a bit much, know that its temporary, and while it may take a while, the worm does turn.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
There are elements of comedy and whimsy even in the grimmer parts that keep it from being a slog. Though yes, there are definitely parts that are bleak.

Geralt is not super self-serious except when it comes to people loving with his family/friends. He's a doofus. His character is more "kinda too old for this dad who is also a mopey manchild on a quest to save his adopted daughter." He has a sense of humor.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I appreciate the clarifications. As much as I'm a fan of settings like Dark Souls and Berzerk, I'm not up for constant nihilistic soul crushing at the moment. I'll probably start my playthrough tomorrow. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

HoboTech posted:

I appreciate the clarifications. As much as I'm a fan of settings like Dark Souls and Berzerk, I'm not up for constant nihilistic soul crushing at the moment. I'll probably start my playthrough tomorrow. Thanks!

Witcher has lots of highs and lots of lows. Yes there are some very grim, gut-wrenching moments. But at the same time the payoffs in the happy/fun/comedic parts make up for it.