Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Criminal charges is probably the tipping point for the exempt list.

I can't find a good list of past exempt list entries but the reuben foster one sticks out where the 49ers look stupid for releasing him, the NFL/NFLPA look stupid for allowing him to hit waivers, and washington looked like shitheads for picking him up off waivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

PupsOfWar posted:

Well, why have a lot of the high-profile multi plaintiff #metoo cases been handled this way, then

If there is no legal reason for it, there must be a practical reason, such as the first attorney to file having all the info and paperwork together already

What cases are you talking about?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

BrownThunder posted:

If you don't know the answer, you can just say you don't know. Don't just make poo poo up

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

PupsOfWar posted:

Well, why have a lot of the high-profile multi plaintiff #metoo cases been handled this way, then

If there is no legal reason for it, there must be a practical reason, such as the first attorney to file having all the info and paperwork together already

Oh so blind conjecture is your precedent.

Nov 6, 2002

He studied Birdlaw.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I drew a conclusion from this thing I imagined

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Scipiotik posted:

What cases are you talking about?

cosby, weinstein

many plaintiffs sharing an attorney seems to be the done thing in cases like this

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

PupsOfWar posted:

cosby, weinstein

many plaintiffs sharing an attorney seems to be the done thing in cases like this

I mean, Gloria Allred didn’t even represent everyone so nope this isn’t right either.

Take a knee. Hit the showers.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
(Don’t actually punch the showers)

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Amy Pole Her posted:

I mean, Gloria Allred didn’t even represent everyone so nope this isn’t right either.

Take a knee. Hit the showers.

"gloria allred only represented several dozen of cosby's many accusers" isn't a counterexample to "it's common for many plaintiffs to share counsel in these cases", my man

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Well I was discussing Weinstein for one.

And how exactly does it not? Because this was your original claim

quote:

within the same jurisdiction i don't know if the judicial system would even hear both cases

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
hello i learned from lionel hutz how to destroy all you can eat buffets and i would like to add to this conversation that actually if you consider the facts wa

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Amy Pole Her posted:

Well I was discussing Weinstein for one.

And how exactly does it not?

i mean, i don't know why you want me to walk you through this, but alright

initially i thought "well, perhaps there is some legal convention that causes people to share counsel" and expressed this

this seemed like something to dig into since "why is everyone using buzzbee, he seems weird and dumb" has been a preoccupation of posters here

the poster Scipiotik contradicted this and seemed to know more about it, so I thought "well, if it's not legal convention there must be practical considerations that make people want to do it this way"

in both the cosby and weinstein cases you had many plaintiffs using the same counsel and being heard as part of the same case, which seems consistent with the buzzbee sitch regardless of whether there were others who were not grouping up.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 23, 2021

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Pups my friend there’s a huge mountain of difference between “huh it sure seems like a lot of the plaintiffs in these cases use the original filing attorney. Must be easier on paperwork” vs completely fabricated statements like “most attorneys will tell you to go to the other lawyer”

There are like 4-5 attorneys (myself included) that post here so it was especially funny.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Amy Pole Her posted:

Pups my friend there’s a huge mountain of difference between “huh it sure seems like a lot of the plaintiffs in these cases use the original filing attorney. Must be easier on paperwork” vs completely fabricated statements like “most attorneys will tell you to go to the other lawyer”

There are like 4-5 attorneys (myself included) that post here so it was especially funny.

I mean, that's fine, but if we're gonna belabor the matter you might want to check the part where I didn't argue with anyone who said I was wrong about that initial speculation

"maybe such-and-such thing is true"
"actually no because of so-and-so"
"well, if not that, seems like this other thing then"

pretty normal way for a forum conversation to go

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Okay sure.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Posting more words doesn’t make you right. Again if you don’t know, don’t say. Don’t speculate or guess either, this is a serious matter not who got cast for Farthuff McCloud in the new marvel poo poo. Speculation gets out of control and some idiots might take it as fact.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

BrownThunder posted:

If you don't know the answer, you can just say you don't know. Don't just make poo poo up

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014
Wow, this is a great thread, very football related.

:rolleyes:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Zaradis posted:

is this another attempt at a bad joke?

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 23, 2021

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Nick Jr. Face posted:

is this another attempt at a bad joke?

It’s trying to bring awareness to the fact that this thread just devolved into a retarded argument about how many people a prosecuting attorney could/should/would/did/is representing.

Also, I don’t make attempts.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Zaradis posted:

suck my dick. gently caress you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Zaradis posted:

a retarded argument

hm

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

That's right, Zadaris

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I'll deal with the morons, ya'll stay on topic and try not to get too far into the weeds with bullshit.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Sports Illustrated cutting through the noise to get to the important issues

This has been and will continue to be an esteemed moment in Sports Journalism

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

sweet thursday posted:

This is loving disgusting.

It's bad enough knowing that plenty of fans are all "well all he did was ask a masseuse for a handy, that's what they do a lot anyway" but the way the sports media routinely plays down reprehensible behavior by players/owners is just infuriating. Watch a player piss hot for weed though and the sky comes crashing down on them.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Do we have any idea when the statement from Watson or his agent or whomever that was alluded to previously is supposed to happen this week?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

sweet thursday posted:

Looking at this without any prior knowledge you’d think he hurt his knee or something.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
How many of you actually read that SI story?

The opening paragraph:

”Any general manager who trades for Deshaun Watson now would be reckless and foolish, grossly uncaring about his team’s fans, and completely oblivious to the reasonable expectations of modern society. Watson is facing at least 10 lawsuits regarding his conduct with massage therapists, with allegations ranging from inappropriate conduct to sexual assault. This does not guarantee he did these things. It does not mean his career is over. But it should absolutely put every other conversation about Watson on pause.”

& later:

”Anybody discussing this must float somewhere between the “innocent” and “guilty” in “innocent until proven guilty.” You can understand why the Texans and NFL are in the fact-gathering, let’s see-what-happens phase. But trading for Watson at what his perceived market value was two weeks ago would be a public statement that Watson is innocent and will remain innocent, and that the voices of these women do not even deserve to be heard.”

I have to say I found the whole thing a fairly reasonable take, but you can judge for yourself:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/22/no-team-should-consider-deshaun-watson-trade-right-now

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Yeah that SI story is actually the strongest anti-watson take in sports media right now lol

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Fire Safety Doug posted:

How many of you actually read that SI story?

The opening paragraph:

”Any general manager who trades for Deshaun Watson now would be reckless and foolish, grossly uncaring about his team’s fans, and completely oblivious to the reasonable expectations of modern society. Watson is facing at least 10 lawsuits regarding his conduct with massage therapists, with allegations ranging from inappropriate conduct to sexual assault. This does not guarantee he did these things. It does not mean his career is over. But it should absolutely put every other conversation about Watson on pause.”

& later:

”Anybody discussing this must float somewhere between the “innocent” and “guilty” in “innocent until proven guilty.” You can understand why the Texans and NFL are in the fact-gathering, let’s see-what-happens phase. But trading for Watson at what his perceived market value was two weeks ago would be a public statement that Watson is innocent and will remain innocent, and that the voices of these women do not even deserve to be heard.”

I have to say I found the whole thing a fairly reasonable take, but you can judge for yourself:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/22/no-team-should-consider-deshaun-watson-trade-right-now

If they wanted me to read all that, they should have put it in the headline.

Nov 6, 2002

It's ridiculous but most sports writers don't have enough clout to control the framing of their own content (headline, photos, etc).

The guy who wrote the infamous "What if Vick was White?" article didn't write that headline or want a photoshopped picture of a white Vick as the article banner. It was added by editors.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Skull dot gif posted it a few pages back and it's a good read. The headline plays it safe but the article itself is well done and says it's despicable to trade for watson right now knowing this is hanging over him and disrespectful to the women accusers.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The 14th lawsuit has been filed.

https://www.scribd.com/document/499957994/Deshaun-Watson-Lawsuit-14

This is one of the first ones to involve a massage therapist who actually had several years of experience and was licensed -- he seems to otherwise have focused on inexperienced women. And right away we can see probably why:

quote:

Watson led Plaintiff to a room where Watson shut the doors and locked the doors behind him. At this point, Plaintiff got out her mace. Watson saw the mace and chuckled but did not say anything.

This is I think the third? time in these lawsuits it's said that he's made implicit threats to his victims to stay quiet:

quote:

Watson said "I will not have you sign a NDA but don't ever talk about this."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Also, one thing we've been discussing is the public reception to this whole fiasco, and I've been keeping an eye on the PFT comments for that reason. Yeah, yeah, don't read the comments, etc, but PFT commenters is about as close to your average meatball as you'll get without going to the local pub. The sheer amount of lawsuits being brought forward, despite reluctance by sports media to directly discuss it, seems to have swayed many people.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/23/deshaun-watson-lawsuits-up-to-14-with-24-accusers/

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

Also, one thing we've been discussing is the public reception to this whole fiasco, and I've been keeping an eye on the PFT comments for that reason. Yeah, yeah, don't read the comments, etc, but PFT commenters is about as close to your average meatball as you'll get without going to the local pub. The sheer amount of lawsuits being brought forward, despite reluctance by sports media to directly discuss it, seems to have swayed many people.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/23/deshaun-watson-lawsuits-up-to-14-with-24-accusers/

Still some vile poo poo in there, but yes it does seem like most people are against him or at the very least have serious doubts. It's a really good thing more women came forward. If this was just one woman this likely gets buried with nothing else to it.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hate to beat this dead horse here, but covering the story from this angle is beneath even Rovell. Who's winning the PR spin zone?? Curse this damnable public perception trial!

quote:

Through it all, Watson and his representatives have said very little. Although the time for responding formally to these complaints has not yet arrived, Watson’s silence has become deafening, as far as the court of public opinion is concerned.

Despite Buzbee’s aggressive tactics and at-times disingenuous and/or not credible public statements (e.g., he’s not seeking publicity when he is, the cases aren’t about money when they are, he doesn’t know Texans owner “Cal or Hal [McNair] whatever his name is”), Buzbee’s approach is resonating with the public in large part because Watson’s approach has been to do or say hardly anything.

Meanwhile, it’s somewhat unusual that no other lawyers represent clients who are making similar claims against Watson. In a situation like this, other lawyers who have law firms with significant monthly expenses and who are indeed in the habit of seeking publicity and/or cash will begin coming forward with other plaintiffs of their own. With so many women making so many claims against Watson, it’s a bit odd that none of them have ended up being represented by someone other that Buzbee.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Florio is being a dumb poo poo as usual. I'll be a bit contrary and say that I think Buzbee has actually done a great job here. He's kept the attention and spectacle firmly focused on him, which means he's getting a lot of the flak that would otherwise be directed at Deshaun's victims.

I was looking a bit more into Buzbee's past because of this whole deal and apparently Buzbee carried out successful litigation against BP over the Deepwater spill. That's one way to ensure that Watson's victims would feel safe going to him, if he could take on BP and win, he can take on Watson and win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

That Buzbee is a real go-getter.