Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

LostCosmonaut posted:

Managed to find what looks like a news story about the situation; https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSSP70669

Unless there have been multiple ant-raising scams in China, which is plausible.

The energy drink company was something else. I looked it up to see if I could find info, and there were lots of news about it being set up, but none about a protest about not being paid.

So at least 2 companies have tried to make tonics and/or energy drinks out of ground up asian mountain ants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

LostCosmonaut posted:

Managed to find what looks like a news story about the situation; https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSSP70669

That was it. It must have been late 2007 because I remember coal-dust coloured snow.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

LostCosmonaut posted:

New thread title please.

quote:

Thousands protest over China ant aphrodisiac scheme

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SerCypher posted:

New thread title please.
yeah that one
other one is a good nod to Grand Fromage

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
There WERE two ant breeding scams at about the same time.

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-02/04/content_6441805.htm

One of the perpetrators was executed and the other was arrested but I'm not sure what happened to him.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-swindler-execution1-idUSTRE4AQ5S920081127

Edit: the thing that stood out to me from the first ant article posted was its description of Liaoyang as a rust belt city. I was unaware of this phenomenon in China, and wiki only offhandedly mentions some 2002 factory closure type protests.

Weka fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 22, 2021

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Reminds me of Anhk-Morpork with the rat farms.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Show trial #2 is underway.

quote:

Michael Kovrig: China begins espionage trial behind closed doors

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-56480219

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

WarpedNaba posted:

Tax the Ant Farms

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
They're not even doing the "show" part right.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ive signed up to get a vaccine cuz no locals are lol

from what I've read the Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines are now the most administered in the world (due in part to richer countries buying up p much the whole supply of pfizer and moderna) and there's no mass stories of people falling over dead so I suppose at worst I'll have sub-par immunity and wont have any actual adverse effects.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Magna Kaser posted:

from what I've read the Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines are now the most administered in the world (due in part to richer countries buying up p much the whole supply of pfizer and moderna)
<snip>

I'm pretty sure it's 100% about production capacity.

Still waiting for my turn for the vaccine.
They just cancelled AstraZeneca vaccinations, when only 13% of my City has been vaccinated.
I'm nurse at local hospital and still can't get it before late spring/early summer. :sigh:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

adhuin posted:

I'm pretty sure it's 100% about production capacity.

Still waiting for my turn for the vaccine.
They just cancelled AstraZeneca vaccinations, when only 13% of my City has been vaccinated.
I'm nurse at local hospital and still can't get it before late spring/early summer. :sigh:

yeah the mrna vaccines are more time consuming/expensive to make right now, and harder to store and transport. this is true. but that's a big reason why so many countries are opting to the chinese vaccines--and they probably will go for the J&J vaccine once they ramp up production of that for the same reasons.

I more meant that given how widely chinese vaccines been given out it's unlikely there is some massive coverup of how they're death serums like I've heard from some parts of the internet.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Yeah. They're good enough and same goes for the Sputnik.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Magna Kaser posted:

from what I've read the Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines are now the most administered in the world (due in part to richer countries buying up p much the whole supply of pfizer and moderna) and there's no mass stories of people falling over dead so I suppose at worst I'll have sub-par immunity and wont have any actual adverse effects.

Are you the last goon in China at this point?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Nah there’s a bunch.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

adhuin posted:

Yeah. They're good enough and same goes for the Sputnik.

Sputnik is actually good though.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

WarpedNaba posted:

My DW memory is way too rusty, but that I think parodies the so-named cobra effect.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Bum the Sad posted:

Yea, the problem with Sputnik was that it was released too early and untested. they basically used first vaccinators as beta testers. By now there is enough time and data to know it is safe.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

the heat goes wrong posted:

Yea, the problem with Sputnik was that it was released too early and untested. they basically used first vaccinators as beta testers. By now there is enough time and data to know it is safe.

Yeah we talked about that a few pages back.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bum the Sad posted:

We've seen trials now that confirm it is safe, but is it really good? As of late February, they were still seeing people who've been given the vaccine be a carrier for the virus up to at least 2 weeks. If there's been more recent data, I haven't heard it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

We've seen trials now that confirm it is safe, but is it really good? As of late February, they were still seeing people who've been given the vaccine be a carrier for the virus up to at least 2 weeks. If there's been more recent data, I haven't heard it.

IIRC a study in The Lancet found it was 90 something percent effective at preventing serious illness and death.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Quick update-

After being told we could opt in for the vaccine (which is weirdly being done through your workplace here in Shanghai, so IDK what retirees/family members/people without jobs do) we found out today the current pool is Chinese citizens only. Heard the same thing from some other people around town.

It seems only teachers, and any medical staff presumably, are the only foreigners who can get vaccinated atm. I do know a handful of foreign teachers who already got Sinovac or Sinopharm's vaccine or are getting it soon.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Magna Kaser posted:

Quick update-

After being told we could opt in for the vaccine (which is weirdly being done through your workplace here in Shanghai, so IDK what retirees/family members/people without jobs do) we found out today the current pool is Chinese citizens only. Heard the same thing from some other people around town.

It seems only teachers, and any medical staff presumably, are the only foreigners who can get vaccinated atm. I do know a handful of foreign teachers who already got Sinovac or Sinopharm's vaccine or are getting it soon.

Just good praxis imo

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Gimme any and all vaccines if it means I can travel without mandatory 2 week hotel quarantine

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Magna Kaser posted:

Quick update-

I'm in Beijing and I haven't heard any word of foreigners, teachers or not, getting any kind of vaccine. Those teachers must have taught at elite schools or have a clientele base of connected people.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Blistex posted:

an energy drink company didn't pay people for raising ants.

LostCosmonaut posted:

"ant aphrodisiac scheme"

Raising Ant Finance for ED Problems are Not Hard

:rimshot:
TA-DA(lafil)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

IIRC a study in The Lancet found it was 90 something percent effective at preventing serious illness and death.

This is incorrect. It’s like 91% effective in preventing any illness at all. 100% at preventing serious illness.

American ones are like 95 and 100.

Anyway apparently the cool thing about the American mRNA tech is how quickly you can modify it. I think I read that if they get approval Pfizer and Moderna can poo poo out variant vaccines in like 6 weeks, just recode the mRNA strands and bam, new vaccine. No dealing with dead carrier viruses etc.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 23, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

url posted:

Raising Ant Finance for ED Problems are Not Hard

:rimshot:
TA-DA(lafil)
:lol: if Ant Group was subject to party crackdown because someone confused them with the powdered insect boner tonic scam.

Bum the Sad posted:

This is incorrect. It’s like 91% effective in preventing any illness at all. 100% at preventing serious illness.

Anyway apparently the cool thing about the American mRNA tech is how quickly you can modify it. I think I read that if they get approval Pfizer and Moderna can poo poo out variant vaccines in like 6 weeks, just recode the mRNA strands and bam, new vaccine. No dealing with dead carrier viruses etc.
It's the opportunity for cancer treatment that makes mRNA tech truly exciting. All the promise of immunotherapy, maybe finally realized.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 23, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It's seriously exciting tech. There's also the potential for an mRNA Malaria vaccine which would be an absolute game changer for the developing world if it works.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Bum the Sad posted:

It's not American mRNA tech op.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bum the Sad posted:

BBC posted:

Interim data from late-stage trials in Turkey and Indonesia showed that the vaccine was 91.25% and 65.3% effective respectively.

Researchers in Brazil initially said it was 78% effective in their clinical trials, but in January 2021 revised that figure to 50.4% after including more data in their calculations.

I used to work for the company that makes the machines that all of the pharma companies (literally all of them, even the ones that have used traditional vaccine tech for their Covid vaccines) use to encapsulate the mRNA in lipid nanoparticles. The ability to rapidly respond to new variants by changing the mRNA is huge, provided that the FDA will provide a way for simple mRNA tweaks to be fast tracked through approval. Also, while mRNA vaccines are neat, they are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what lipid nanoparticle delivery systems can do.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

A lot of people are making a thing about China having the "now world's largest Navy," but if you use the statistic of total "ships" instead of total tonnage it's not China that has the largest Navy in the world, it's North Korea.

It's a pretty clickbaity take. It's very likely that China will probably surpass Russia in the next decade in terms of tonnage but the size of the US Navy is loving absurd.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The US Navy has the world's second-largest airforce after the US Airforce, q.e.d.

McGavin posted:

Also, while mRNA vaccines are neat, they are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what lipid nanoparticle delivery systems can do.
What's special about that delivery method?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Shumagorath posted:

The US Navy has the world's second-largest airforce after the US Airforce, q.e.d.

US Navy and the USMC both have more fighters than the USAF IIRC.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

It lets things that are usually stuck on the outside of cells get inside cells. Or, in the case of mRNA, protects molecules that would normally degrade in your body until they can get inside your cells.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

A lot of people are making a thing about China having the "now world's largest Navy," but if you use the statistic of total "ships" instead of total tonnage it's not China that has the largest Navy in the world, it's North Korea.

It's a pretty clickbaity take. It's very likely that China will probably surpass Russia in the next decade in terms of tonnage but the size of the US Navy is loving absurd.

So China has the HEAVIEST navy in the world?

Wouldn't that be a bad thing? Coz they would sink? Shouldn't they have invested in jetskis and rowboats instead?

I am a smart military strategist.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I think you misinterpreted that.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I think you misinterpreted that.

Oh no!

So I am not as smart a military strategist as I think I am.

(I am not making fun of you OP by the way. I was just making a stupid silly joke.)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

No, I know, but based on the joke you read it backwards. Just so anyone reading this doesn’t get confused.

Chinas navy had more boats and less weight than the United States, which is the heaviest in the world (most tonnage) by about double Russia’s fleet.

Most of China’s “ships” are more like torpedo boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

No, I know, but based on the joke you read it backwards. Just so anyone reading this doesn’t get confused.

Chinas navy had more boats and less weight than the United States, which is the heaviest in the world (most tonnage) by about double Russia’s fleet.

Most of China’s “ships” are more like torpedo boats.

Fair enough. Sorry.

I truly don't know poo poo or understand anything about military strategy and stuff like that.

Or humour apparently.