Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zeroisanumber posted:

It always blows me away how bitter and miserable these people are. You're in the last chapter of your life and this is how you spend your time?
What I wonder is the spread on 'people who would have been bitter miserable assholes no matter what' and 'people who became bitter miserable assholes due to right-wing media,' which would include Freep but also the various people who got sucked into Rush Limbaugh, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I dunno, we all have access to the same information. Everyone with a computer in their home with an internet connection, or a phone in their pocket, or a TV in their front room with all the same channels everyone gets, has access to the same sources of information as each other.

Some of us choose to watch bullshit, and some of us don't. That is the difference between us, not whether or not we have access to the bullshit. Because we all have access to bullshit just as much as we all have access to good information. And we all have access to ways of finding out how to discern between the two. The only difference between any of us is those that choose to do their due diligence and those that choose to become bitter twisted arseholes. And gently caress the latter group. gently caress them all to hell, they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt in the information age.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ehh, some of us exist for other reasons in environments which prime us to disregard certain types of bullshit. We are not, in each moment, recreated tabula rasa and given the opportunity to choose based on our innate moral fiber whether to intake bullshit or not.

Some of us have been on a trajectory our entire lives which lead us to the right conclusions and some of us have been on a trajectory our entire lives that lead us to the wrong ones. Though that certainly doesn't need to be an obstacle to just hating the people who end up with the wrong ones if you don't want it to be.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 21, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think it’s fair to say freepers and their ilk are victims of a very large, very successful, very profitable right wing propaganda machine. That’s not to let them off the hook, by any means. But propaganda will never stop being effective.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
These people have agency. They aren't victims.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Captain Log posted:

tubad4ya
"...Pryme nightclub after a 'disturbance' between two groups..."

Translation: The gunman was "disrespected," and thus elected to avenge himself according to the applicable cultural norms.

---------------------
i once had an old, fat, white man slam a door and threaten to "kick my rear end" because i said "excuse me" too loudly after he interrupted me as i was talking to an employee at michaels.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
This one is sure special. Again, I'm not digging for these comments. These are what's recent. I didn't go any further than the most recent stuff on the first page. Most of the comments are less than a half hour old.

Article Published - Less than one hour ago
612 Total Comments
76 More in the time I made this post

Also, the Fox gif they use for the article is of a running crowd, but it zoom in on two black people running. Because of course it does.

Miami Beach spring breakers hit with extended curfew after SWAT team forced to break up rowdy crowd

https://www.foxnews.com/us/miami-beach-police-blocking-entry-into-city-after-swat-break-spring-breaker-crowds-up

--------------------

Wass

This isn’t a typical spring break crowd unless they’re all from Grambling and Howard Universities.

Likes - 203

HaywoodJablome066
Responding to Wass

Miami got a “Spring Black” problem.

Likes - 60

earp1848
Responding to HaywoodJablome066

So does the world. Everyone hates em.

Likes - 15
-------------------------

DreamofSiargao

I thought for a minute it was spring break in Nigeria.

Likes - 75
----------------------

HPT3

I would take bets that those involved in this latest of rowdiness were in no way college kids on spring break! More disruption by outside interference such as BLM or Antifa taking advantage of the situation!

Likes - 19
-------------------

AmanitaVirosaMushrooms666
9 minutes ago

13% of population 90% of countries problem. Does it ever change? Not.

Likes - 13

boforit
Replying to AmanitaVirosaMushrooms666
8 minutes ago

You can fix this with a heavy hand.

Likes - 1
-------------------

godhimself435
14 minutes ago

Nope.. definitely not. When whites move in an area, the neighbourhood expands, develops and it's property values go up and crimes down.. Blacks only create Ghettos and depreciate the area they reside in and they all become crime ridden. Want a problem at a party.. invite some Blacks.

Likes - 27

earp1848
Replying to FedupVoter
19 minutes ago

They cause over 70% of the US problems and don't even get me started on the rest of the world. Every country in the world HATES them. Fact.

Likes - 32
----------------

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Abusers can be victims too. Their parents were all this way and so were their friends and neighbors. When you're raised like that you are actively told that critical thinking is evil and only satan leftists question certain things. They really don't have certain kinds of agency at all despite thinking they do.

Of course none of this excuses anything they do or say and it's never too late to learn to be a better person but they simply refuse and I'm happy that they're dying off.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think it’s fair to say freepers and their ilk are victims of a very large, very successful, very profitable right wing propaganda machine. That’s not to let them off the hook, by any means. But propaganda will never stop being effective.

I never said they weren't. But we're all exposed to the same propaganda, every time we go read Drudge or Breitbart, or everytime we click on a Ben Shapiro video against our better judgement, or (if you're in the US) every time you switch a TV on or walk into a bar and Fox News is on. Hell, every time we read this thread we're exposed to those viewpoints. We all have the agency to take the hatred we're fed from those sources at face value, or not to. Some people choose one way, others choose another way, and there has to be a difference between that. If not, then there's no free will and the universe is deterministic.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I don't pity them, but they are kind of amazing.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

They want to believe it. The lies they enjoy are not the ones that we do.

People's behavior is deterministic, but it doesn't change the fact that reality exists, and acting on false beliefs makes suboptimal outcomes. Truth-seeking is healthy.

The problem is that it's healthy on a time scale far beyond an individual human's interests. Moment to moment, day to day it's easier to be happy and enrich yourself by believing or selling fiction.

These guys are old and broken. They are thinking about their interests today, tomorrow, next month maybe. In their own minds they are finished and better outcomes are impossible. Truth has nothing for them.

They are afraid of, for example, crime, but only right now. They can manage that fear perfectly fine by putting a label on it and attacking the label, bing bong.

A more educated person with a longer view could realize that a real solution to crime involves long term education, correctional and racial reform. That would actually work. But that reform to these people would be like a house to a termite, so out of scope to be unimaginable, and totally irrelevant. Even if you explained reality to them, and even if they understood they would just be confused. Like, why are you explaining this to me when I clearly don't care?

e. They would probably also think the smarty-pants was stupid for caring about truth at all, rather than just pursuing his own interests in a civilization that will take it's plotted course despite how you may rail against it. I think it's a strong candidate for a solution to the fermi paradox. There is no hope for a species to survive long term if it's made of myopic individuals that discount the future, and are able to produce fantasies that are preferable to reality.

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 22, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
A lot of them also believe the world is inherently corrupt and broken and will be until Jesus comes back so if you can't fix the world and make it perfect why bother trying? In fact some of them even believe that it's evil to try and make a perfect society because it's arrogant because you think you can defy God's will. How much of that is actual genuine belief, and how much of it is just a convenient excuse they can use to be lazy and/or gently caress over people they don't like is up for debate, I guess. But evangelical Christianity does very much have the "the world is hosed and will always be hosed, and humans can't fix it" doctrine so that shapes a lot of how they view the world.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Most people raised by lovely people or experiencing bad conditions become at the very worst simply neutral. Maybe it is genes or bad luck or both but frankly if you get to the point of a loving Trump supporter or Freeper I really don't care.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah but the fact that there exists people that came from either bad conditions or lovely upbringings that turn out to be perfectly nice level-headed reasonable people takes away that as an excuse/reason.

(I know nobody here is excusing them, I'm more replying to all those countless "lets try to understand and empathise with the Trump voter" articles that plagued the Trump years)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cactus posted:

Yeah but the fact that there exists people that came from either bad conditions or lovely upbringings that turn out to be perfectly nice level-headed reasonable people takes away that as an excuse/reason.

(I know nobody here is excusing them, I'm more replying to all those countless "lets try to understand and empathise with the Trump voter" articles that plagued the Trump years)

Yeah, that was what I was saying, sorry if it didn't come across. As someone who has been repeatedly probated for not empathizing with the Trump voter enough I'm the last guy to want to excuse them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I'm in the middle on the issue.

Most of what I'm talking about took place in the 90's, so if I say liberal it's in regards to being socially liberal more than anything else.

A little backstory - My parents got divorced when I was five in 1989. It was a messy, nasty, courtroom divorce that my mother's side turned into a scorched earth campaign that ultimately backfired, because my father got joint custody.

My mother's side are hundreds of years of southern, ultra-conservative, hardline evangelical, anti-evolution, anti-abortion, the Bible IS the Word of God Christians.

I'm the first American on my father's side. They are British, socially liberal/left, mostly politically agnostic, atheists.

I was a die hard Christian, taught to believe in literal demons scheming against me in physical "horns on their head" bodies. I also believed even thinking about a sin was the same as committing it. I've often heard my mother compared to Carrie's mom, but I've read that book. Carrie's mom ain't got poo poo on mine. It was bad enough I developed OCD from the constant need to perform prayers as a ritual to ward off the gates of literal hell. I also proudly told people I was a Republican and would try to lecture people about why Bob Dole was better than Bill Adulterous Clinton.

When I made it to fifteen, I started to see through poo poo. I went to a public school and my father's British side of the family made a point of taking me to the UK every summer. They didn't rail against my mother's family, knowing it was too much to ask a kid to be at constant war. But they put a ton of effort into exposing me to a wide array of social experiences. For whatever reason, from fifteen to seventeen saw me do an about face. I turned agnostic, became vehemently anti-religion, and nearly became estranged from my mother throughout the process. I got rescued, but I don't feel like that's because I "rose above" or anything. I was lucky enough to get shown enough poo poo to make me question the hell I was born into.

My purpose for this rant - I absolutely know some good, caring people who hold abhorrent views due to living their entire life without leaving the state of Tennessee, their church, or their family group. Those people are hosed and have little hope for making it out.

Am I giving them a pass? No. People should be able to do the math about good and bad. But believing these people living in a box are going to start voting blue out of their own self reflection isn't gonna happen. Some people are intellectually trapped, so I don't necessarily hate them. I pity them.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm sorry you went through that.

You could have chosen to reject everything you saw on those trips to the UK. You had the agency to continue to believe all of the hateful, magical thinking-type stuff you'd been taught all your life, just like so many do. But you didn't. You chose of your own free will to evaluate the information available to you - the exact same information that is available to everyone in the developed world who has access to TV channels, or libraries, or an internet connection - and come to the realisations that you did. No-one forced you, YOU did that. Which I think helps to make my point.

I grew up and still live in the UK so I know what you're on about on that side of things and even I had some shameful beliefs as a kid/teenager some 25-30 years ago, but yeah I recognise that it must be much harder coming from the American deep south. Your existence, your story, proves that anyone else from that background that wilfully chooses to remain in hate and ignorance, is an arsehole, not a victim. The real victims are those that are disenfranchised by the people that these arseholes vote into power.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really think the idea that it's individual choice that matters is a very strange thing because it's exactly the same kind of thinking that the right wing employs. If you do well in life (or in this case, if you have the right opinions) then it is because you are a superior individual, which as a way of looking at things seems entirely at odds with how we would approach literally everything else from a left leaning perspective.

It might be nice to think we are intrinsically better people somehow but I don't think it's accurate.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Captain Log posted:

HPT3

I would take bets that those involved in this latest of rowdiness were in no way college kids on spring break! More disruption by outside interference such as BLM or Antifa taking advantage of the situation!

Likes - 19

mods change my name to "ANTIFA SPRING BREAK!!" please

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I really think the idea that it's individual choice that matters is a very strange thing because it's exactly the same kind of thinking that the right wing employs. If you do well in life (or in this case, if you have the right opinions) then it is because you are a superior individual, which as a way of looking at things seems entirely at odds with how we would approach literally everything else from a left leaning perspective.

It might be nice to think we are intrinsically better people somehow but I don't think it's accurate.

How successful you are in life is subject to far, far more external forces that you have no control over than whether or not you evaluate all sources of information available to you when deciding your worldview, no?

i.e. the former takes place in the wide world, whereas the latter takes place in your own brain, which is where you have the most control out of anywhere in the universe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You aren't born a leftist, whether you develop those skills and how you develop them and how you apply them and whether you maintain them and whether or not that's even the basis of your politics (because it certainly doesn't have to be for you to be a leftist) is entirely subject to external factors?

Unless you believe in some sort of soul what happens in your brain is entirely a product of the things your senses are exposed to and the unpredictable effects of how the meat of your brain tissue works, neither of which you have control over.

Like I'm not a lefty because I'm smarter than other people or because I am a dilligent critical thinker I'm a lefty because I am aesthetically and reflexively prejudiced against rich people and their poo poo, and the people you hang around with when you're prejudiced against rich people poo poo are generally lefties and you absorb their thinking by exposure.

Like I can, sometimes, do critical thinking but I don't most of the time and when I do I do it primarily against things that I look at and reflexively distrust. I've just been trained to reflexively distrust specific stuff and then the critical thinking bit happens if I need to justify why I reflexively distrust it. And the justification might actually be correct, even. But that doesn't change the fact that am only applying it to further a position I already hold.

If you take this same mechanism and change the things I instinctively dislike I could just as easily be some qanon nutter, coming up with after the fact justifications for why I think what I think. I would be doing a lot of mental effort and arriving at entirely the wrong conclusion. I don't think laziness of thought is really a good predictor of political alignment, you can have any politics and be either extremely mentally involved or extremely lazy.

It's got far more to do with what ideas you are exposed to and which ones your existing prejudices are primed to accept, which are built up from birth by your environment. And it doesn't have to be as simple as "well I was raised right wing so I will keep being right wing" because it is also possible for people to be raised one way and find it to be unsatisfying when they try to integrate it with other things they have been exposed to, and this can cause them to reject the initial conditioning all the more ardently because for them it takes on the aspect of being a prison. Or perhaps as they grew up they found the people who conditioned them that way were actually very unpleasant to them, and so they associate the conditioning with personally experienced cruelty. Again this might have very little to do with its actual veracity and far more to do with how they feel about the environment and people they associate with it.

People's responses to things are complicated but I don't think we need to believe they are not, fundamentally, materialistic in their operation.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 22, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Some other goon said it earlier and it’s pretty much the only way to look at it -

1. Are they victims? Yes.
2. Does that excuse them? No.

You can feel bad for a person and still think they need to lose their job or whatever consequence so that they don’t do further harm.

You can also still mock them for their beliefs because it’s a coping mechanism to deal with the fact that they are actually monstrous in their beliefs.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Millions are spent every year to make more Freepers, they're not naturally-occurring

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I said before there is also no obligation to feel bad for people just because they are products of their environment, because everything is a product of its environment, so if you adopted that approach you would just feel bad all the time and be unable to take any action.

I think there's a tendency on the left to internalize the idea that you can't blame people for things that they can't control, possibly because we spent a fair amount of time using that excuse to advance stuff like gay rights. But the reason gay rights are good isn't because being gay is uncontrollable, but because being gay is also good, and cool, and everyone should do it. Or at the very least it isn't bad in any way, even if you could control it at will you would be under no obligation to.

I feel like the argument about something being involuntary is a bit of a bad one in a lot of respects because everything, to some degree, is involuntary, but I don't think it is practical or useful to let that get in the way of you getting extremely mad about stuff. Someone can be a product of a system designed to produce horrible people, but at the end of the day they are still a horrible person and you don't have to feel bad for them because they didn't get a choice in the matter.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

InsertPotPun posted:

i once had an old, fat, white man slam a door and threaten to "kick my rear end" because i said "excuse me" too loudly after he interrupted me as i was talking to an employee at michaels.

I just do this and give them a crazy look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRi0FT8uYMY

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Captain Log posted:

whtnationalist

What Nationalist?

He's just asking the question!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Captain Monkey posted:

Some other goon said it earlier and it’s pretty much the only way to look at it -

1. Are they victims? Yes.
2. Does that excuse them? No.

You can feel bad for a person and still think they need to lose their job or whatever consequence so that they don’t do further harm.

You can also still mock them for their beliefs because it’s a coping mechanism to deal with the fact that they are actually monstrous in their beliefs.

This is a little closer to how I feel.

It's loving complicated and I could sit and stare at this blinking prompt all day trying to articulate it. I've known some objectively good people - charitable, community oriented, kind hearted, selfless - who hold loving foul political views. But when it comes to their actions, what the physically do with their body and money, they do outright good. Some of these people have literally never left their bordering counties. I have a hard time lumping them in with the garden variety literal proud racist freepers.

I guess I'm talking ideology vs. action.

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
This lady asked people what their "woke breaking point" was. Here are 55 of the best and most eye-opening responses.

Let's see what drove Freep over into madness

quote:

To: tbw2
We passed it decades ago. Maybe the Stonewall Riots were the breaking point for me.

Certainly Adam marrying Steve did it.

Even more certainly men believing / pretending that they could change into women did it (and vice versa). People actually believing that you don’t have to be a woman to menstruate.

“Drag Queen Story Hour” corrupting our most innocent children.

Live homo sex at the Folsom Street Fair in San Francisco a couple decades ago.

Tolerating a degraded, filthy and horrific public square in the name of “tolerance.”

So many people hating on the white race.

Self-loathing whites. People saying they can “identify” as so-and-so and get away with it (Ward Churchill, Rachel Dolezal, Liz Warren).

Critical Race Theory.

2+2=5 in our schools.

We crossed the Rubicon on this crap LONG ago. We are truly at the “How many fingers am I holding up, Winston?” point.

4 posted on 3/22/2021, 2:25:01 PM by ProtectOurFreedom (The Weak Never Started, The Cowards fail along the way, Only the Strong Survive)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

Going to a college party (about 30 years ago, mind you) dressed as “Jewbacca” — so me, in a ratty prayer shawl a Wookie costume.

This lady came up screaming at me about how racist that was.

Jewbacca being my call sign. In the IDF. Because I am Sabra Israeli. Descendant of Shoa survivors. And Orthodox Jewish.

Bitch made me a Republican, right there.

8 posted on 3/22/2021, 2:36:45 PM by Jewbacca (The residents of Iroquois territory may not determine whether Jews may live in Jerusalem)

quote:

Back in the early ‘90s while living in a university housing co-op and being called a sexist pig because I questioned a female supervisor’s instructions (and she was very inexperienced and not particularly suited for the job she was in as she later had to answer for other incidents that highlighted those things about her in that position she had).

Also, politically correct hockey writers who called veteran NHL players like Guy Lafleur and Al Secord and Rod Langway and Brad Marsh and such others stupid because they did not wear helmets, even though they were that good bit less likely to be on the receiving end of a high stick or hit from behind or any other type of cheap shot offence because there was still that good bit of respect for the remaining non helmeted players in the NHL.

10 posted on 3/22/2021, 2:40:51 PM by OttawaFreeper ("The Gardens was founded by men-sportsmen-who fought for their country" Conn Smythe, 1966 )

quote:

For me, it was the Duke Lacrosse Team fiasco. Those kids were setup and slapped down for no reason. It was firmed up during the Kavenaugh Hearings.

12 posted on 3/22/2021, 2:46:45 PM by Mathews (It's all gravy, baby!)

quote:

To: cgbg
Affirmative action also here.

I got passed up by people who were way underqualified because they were members of the protected classes.

Finally said to hell with this and went to work with a friend of mine. 6 employees. No BS. We couldn’t afford it.

16 posted on 3/22/2021, 2:51:01 PM by Texas resident (Dimrats=CPUSA)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

quote:

The “woke” attack crowd are the same people that run around giving smokers crap for smoking. Not as many middle and upper class smokers now so they need someone else to satisfy the urge. Wokeness or maskness. Same deal.

18 posted on 3/22/2021, 3:01:25 PM by fruser1

If all it took for them to tip into full crazy racism was people promoting helmets in full contact sports and people disapproving of smoking they didn't need much pushing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Captain Log posted:

This is a little closer to how I feel.

It's loving complicated and I could sit and stare at this blinking prompt all day trying to articulate it. I've known some objectively good people - charitable, community oriented, kind hearted, selfless - who hold loving foul political views. But when it comes to their actions, what the physically do with their body and money, they do outright good. Some of these people have literally never left their bordering counties. I have a hard time lumping them in with the garden variety literal proud racist freepers.

I guess I'm talking ideology vs. action.
In an ultimate sense, we have to have compassion for them. Compassion does not mean deference, submission, agreement, devoting our lives to their service or reformation, or even concurring with their analysis of what brought them to their current state. (It may be worthwhile to listen to their analysis, because they may be partially correct; and their perceptions are part of reality, and you have to deal with actual reality. This does not mean they get a free ticket to abuse you.)

I also think that you have the fact that Freep is one factor in most of these people's lives. There are no doubt many people like you describe; and even more who are essentially in the deep throes of poster brain and will never do anything but post about their misery. You do have to watch out for the ones who may actually do something, but this is a specialist skill and I do not think we can easily gain it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Finnankainen posted:

This lady asked people what their "woke breaking point" was. Here are 55 of the best and most eye-opening responses.

Let's see what drove Freep over into madness

If all it took for them to tip into full crazy racism was people promoting helmets in full contact sports and people disapproving of smoking they didn't need much pushing.

Duke Lacrosse affair was bullshit but a sane person would place the blame on prosecutorial misconduct and insane pundits. But of course FReep think it's all shrill libs and black people colluding to destroy white men.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like that the 'Jewbacca' guy is clearly lying because no Orthodox I know, especially a loving Israeli born freak, would use a 'ratty' shawl for their hilarious pun costume every Jew has heard countless times. Gotta get better with your cosplay, Freep, these are rookie mistakes!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like the argument about something being involuntary is a bit of a bad one in a lot of respects because everything, to some degree, is involuntary, but I don't think it is practical or useful to let that get in the way of you getting extremely mad about stuff. Someone can be a product of a system designed to produce horrible people, but at the end of the day they are still a horrible person and you don't have to feel bad for them because they didn't get a choice in the matter.

So it's kind of like, it's not the tornados fault that it wrecked the neighbourhood, it was a product of the laws of physics and it couldn't decide to be, or do, anything else, but it's ok to be mad at the tornado and wish it out of existence, because it wrecked the neighbourhood.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

One of my friends (that I looked up to when I was a kid, because you never really know someone's :wtc: opinions until they get on Facebook) has carried a grudge against liberals for decades because he went to college in liberal Colorado and the university biking club wouldn't let him join their bike rides unless he wore a helmet.

I don't think that's what made him conservative, but I don't think these freepers' bizarre grudges about NHL helmets and whatever the gently caress made them conservative either, I think being a conservative means carrying around weird rear end grudges forever.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

I think being a conservative means carrying around weird rear end grudges forever.
Maybe this is the real root of the weird 'goes from being a Trotskyist to being an extreme-right-winger' phenomenon?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

Maybe this is the real root of the weird 'goes from being a Trotskyist to being an extreme-right-winger' phenomenon?

Trots self-betray because they react so hard against the authoritarian nature of Stalinism that they willingly jump into bed with neoliberal internationalists in order to combat "authoritarians".

That's why you had old Trots like Hitchens happy to make the case for the Iraq War.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The trot to neocon pipeline is not weird at all, they're both authoritarian messianic philosophies preaching that there's no problem that can't be solved by stacking up bodies ever higher, and boy do they love solving everyone's problems everywhere.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trotsky *wading through the blood of sailors and workers at Kronstadt* "boy could you imagine how bad authoritarianism would be if it were anyone but me murdering anarchists and poor peasants and workers' councils?"

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

sexpig by night posted:

I like that the 'Jewbacca' guy is clearly lying because no Orthodox I know, especially a loving Israeli born freak, would use a 'ratty' shawl for their hilarious pun costume every Jew has heard countless times. Gotta get better with your cosplay, Freep, these are rookie mistakes!

He's also clearly lying because he said that a "bitch," made him vote Republican, which proves that he was already a Republican.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'll never forget how confused I was the first time I saw an ad for a motorcycle law organization, with one of the bullet points being that they fought against helmet laws in a couple of states. I kept looking at it and my brain refused to understand how this was a thing that should make me go "Wow these guys are great."

It wasn't until years later that I learned right wingers really, really loving hate helmets, not just for riding motorcycles but also for sports, workplaces, pretty much any kind of helmet gets them incredibly mad. It's still weird and childish and I'll never fully understand it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Its because Toxic Masculinity, dear Twelve.