Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BFC posted:

A lot of the most well known movies that have come out were controversial to one degree or another but I'd say Get Out is a safe bet for a wildly accepted incredible movie. Ari Aster has only made hits. The John Wick movies are juggernauts. Knives Out managed to turn people completely against Rian Johnson, for good reasons and otherwise, in his favor. No one but some hardcore book fans complain about the Martian... yeah anything else that's super well regarded across the board I haven't seen.

I recognize every example you've given but I just completely blanked on everything except Mad Max for some reason. If I'd thought about it more I probably could've remembered Parasite even though I kinda tuned out 40 minutes in. I did like John Wick 1 and the Martian though. Those are the only ones I've seen myself though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McCloud posted:

The big kickass moment of the first half of Iron man one is him going to the middle east and blowing up some terrorists, the MCU loves its drones and BP was a big sloppy to the CIA

Meanwhile in the Snyderman films the military are bombing its own people, Superman loving hates drones, billionaires are evil dipshits and the CIA is in league with the bad guys

Also who can forget the loving Northrop Grumman tie in to Avengers?

No one is pretending here, least of all Marvel

Regarding the runtime, Snyder probably could have easily cut it down by like 30 minutes, but this was his final DC film, of course he was gonna throw the kitchen sink at it. His theatrical cut would obviously have been more...heh... conservative

You could've stuck a "Join Today!" recruitment tagline under the scene in Captain Marvel where she's cycling outfit colours and settles on the "Air Force-esque" ones.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
On a totally different tack, I recently found the channel Journey to the Microcosmos

It's all informative, chill, bite-sized videos of microscopic life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBmzwM76V0o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygty9HxhFK4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kux1j1ccsgg

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 23, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

When's the last time a movie was fantastic? I don't see many so I'm still assuming that's Mad Max: Fury Road.

Every year has a bunch of fantastic movies. Personally, First Cow was my fave from last year. Incredible *and* Snyder recommends it as a double feature with Justice League :v:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

When's the last time a movie was fantastic? I don't see many so I'm still assuming that's Mad Max: Fury Road.

Knives Out is fantastic and it only came out a little over a year ago.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

RareAcumen posted:

Hot Fuzz.

...I also don't see many movies. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have never had before, nor have I had since, an experience like seeing Pacific Rim in IMAX. I love Pacific Rim in all its campy glory, and IMAX made it feel like these huge machines and monsters were really towering over me, and every thundering step they took and impactful blow in the film shook the seats with the deep rumbling. It was incredible. I would definitely see it if it ever was shown in a local IMAX again.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Green room is a cool film.

Films not getting universal acclaim is probably down in part to personal taste, but also because nothing is the hegemonic cultural product like superhero films are; everyone's going to have seen it, and they're rarely complex enough for people to be intimidated out of putting forward their own opinions. Mad Max is similar to a lot of superhero films in that the spectacle is front and centre, even if its not the only thing that makes it good, and its easier to discuss your enjoyment of the spectacle than it is to grasp at some of the more ephemeral qualites that make a film entertaining.

The White Tiger is also a pretty good movie.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 23, 2021

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, you had Knives Out and Parasite in 2019/2020, both pretty drat good movies. If you want a hipster indication, try hunting down Bacurau for some Northern Brazilian dystopian class horror? Kinda hard to define it, honestly, but it got screwed over by the national academy and didn't even get on the shortlist for Best Foreign Movie in 2020.

Also, I have a bit of a hot Snyder take: one of his flaws as a movie director is being real bad at editing down his vision for the format. I didn't think BvS Ultimate Edition salvaged that movie, it continues being cynical to a fault, "Martha" is still one of the dumbest conflict resolutions in movie history, and that's not even going into the character assassination of one Lex Luthor. However, it does make the movie better in terms of overall structure and storytelling, it feels more..."complete". Thing is, do you need three hours+ to tell a superhero story? Is everything you have to say so essential that if it doesn't make it to the big screen, you have this trainwreck of a movie? You REALLY have to sell me on that, and BvS didn't do it...I assume neither would JL, but that's just assumptions because that one was also butchered by Joss Whedon.

"oh but marvel does it"

my darling, marvel doing it shouldn't be an indicative of a good thing, quite the opposite, really

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Alaois posted:

yeah thats quinton reviews alright

He's very, very hit and miss about these sorts of things and that's probably one of the weaker episodes in terms of subject matter, specially given how that intro hyped that. Maybe I'm spoiled by stuff like Whang or WavyWebSurf or the videos he did previously, but it just felt like a "Did you know Chills exist?" video.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
All this time and all this hype and all this evangelising from his fans and it's still a medicore superhero blockbuster, just with baby's first art film filter and 2 and a half hours too longer.

Holy poo poo it feels like my brain is being warped inside out seeing people spaff themselves silly over it.

Kunster posted:

He's very, very hit and miss about these sorts of things and that's probably one of the weaker episodes in terms of subject matter, specially given how that intro hyped that. Maybe I'm spoiled by stuff like Whang or WavyWebSurf or the videos he did previously, but it just felt like a "Did you know Chills exist?" video.

Deffo a weaker episode from Quentin but holy hell Chills is just a singularity of punchability.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

art film filter

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

SteelMentor posted:

All this time and all this hype and all this evangelising from his fans and it's still a medicore superhero blockbuster, just with baby's first art film filter and 2 and a half hours too longer.

Holy poo poo it feels like my brain is being warped inside out seeing people spaff themselves silly over it.

Deffo a weaker episode from Quentin but holy hell Chills is just a singularity of punchability.

I didn’t expect the movie to be a masterpiece, the real justice (ha) for me was watching a version of the movie that wasn’t an incompetent, racist, and sexist hack job.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Dias posted:

Yeah, you had Knives Out and Parasite in 2019/2020, both pretty drat good movies. If you want a hipster indication, try hunting down Bacurau for some Northern Brazilian dystopian class horror? Kinda hard to define it, honestly, but it got screwed over by the national academy and didn't even get on the shortlist for Best Foreign Movie in 2020.

And Portrait of a Lady on Fire, The Lighthouse, Uncut Gems and like Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

2019 was a fuckin' great year for movies.

e: Like that's not even including more niche things that I loved like the Farewell and Waves.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 23, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hollywood felt like it was ready assembled from Tarantinos bag of tropes, with no real commentary.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

fancy stats posted:

And Portrait of a Lady on Fire, The Lighthouse, Uncut Gems and like Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

I've been thinking a lot about 2019 movies lately and it might just be the best year of the last decade for movies. There's also Little Women and Marriage Story to throw on the pile, among countless others!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Lighthouse, Midsommar, The Irishman, El Camino rule.

poo poo that I loved that no one else does, Godzilla KOTM, It chapter 2, Glass.

I enjoyed 2019.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Hollywood felt like it was ready assembled from Tarantinos bag of tropes, with no real commentary.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood has some absolutely spectacular moments of writing and acting in it. It also has a 2 minute segment that was just looking at sharon tate's bare feet in a movie theater.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I completely forgot about my favorite anxiety attack movie Uncut Gems. I feel dirty.

e; also Tarantino is on my no-go list so while I saw his last movie I struggle to have strong opinions about it without feeling sad about Uma Thurman.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood has some absolutely spectacular moments of writing and acting in it. It also has a 2 minute segment that was just looking at sharon tate's bare feet in a movie theater.

Not the best part but watching Brad Pitt explode some faces was pretty great.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

BFC posted:

I completely forgot about my favorite anxiety attack movie Uncut Gems. I feel dirty.

Uncut Gems is real good but mother! is my favourite anxiety attack film.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

The Lighthouse, Midsommar, The Irishman, El Camino rule.

In before The Irishman is called 'more of Marty's mobster propaganda.'

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

josh04 posted:

Uncut Gems is real good but mother! is my favourite anxiety attack film.
I dunno I just vibe excitedly with mother! don't ask me why I can't explain it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CelticPredator posted:

Not the best part but watching Brad Pitt explode some faces was pretty great.

It also makes the whole film feel extra gross since the whole scenario is a big what if about saving her. Reverent but also we gotta get the director's fetish on there.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

If I had a fetish and I was a movie director I would just not force my fetish on an unconsenting audience. :shepface:

I love Tarantino but it's the worst part of his movies. :negative:

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I have some unfortunate news for you about art

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I couldn't help but loudly groan and slap my forehead, and as a result had to explain to my girlfriend Tarantino's whole foot thing.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I watched it with someone who didn't know about the the Sharon Tate murders, so the whole thing was weirdly incoherent for them.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

BFC posted:

I have some unfortunate news for you about art

I know a good chunk, even most, art is horny but it doesn't have to be gosh damnit

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I'm more considering exactly how you would even make it clear up front that a party has the chance to consent to an interpretable experience in a blunt enough way without just straight up stating the possible fetishes contained in the work.

Actually imagine if a movie started with "Content Warning: The director has X fetishes"

That might actually be very funny.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Rated NC 17 for feet

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Might not be quite as good as the other movies listed but Train to Busan was like the perfect zombie movie.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

It's fantastic actually and they should probably stop making zombie movies now that they've peaked with it.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

But anyway, before people start clowning on me, I wasn't saying Tarintino having feet fetish poo poo in movies was like, akin to flashing someone lol Unconsenting was a bad word choice. Unsuspecting may be better? Altho everyone who watches A tino flick by now probably expects that kind of thing too so lol

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Tarantino's feet thing is at least better than David Cage's pee thing. So he's not the creepiest auteur Sony gives money too at least.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

McCloud posted:

The big kickass moment of the first half of Iron man one is him going to the middle east and blowing up some terrorists, the MCU loves its drones and BP was a big sloppy to the CIA

Meanwhile in the Snyderman films the military are bombing its own people, Superman loving hates drones, billionaires are evil dipshits and the CIA is in league with the bad guys

Also who can forget the loving Northrop Grumman tie in to Avengers?

No one is pretending here, least of all Marvel

Whatever to make it seem like the one megacorp film franchise is more progressive than the other I guess

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Are you gonna stop watching all media or what? Media is gonna be made by corporations. But it’s possible that sometimes they’re good.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fancy stats posted:

e: Like that's not even including more niche things that I loved like the Farewell and Waves.

Oh, poo poo, 2020 was so long I forgot about Uncut Gems and The Lighthouse; plus I heard great things about Portrait of a Lady on Fire.

Dawgstar posted:

In before The Irishman is called 'more of Marty's mobster propaganda.'

Marty's fans are still tight that I called his ~auteur movies~ about the mob "cool white criminal flicks", heehee.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No Marty’s movies are tight actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

No Martys movies are tight actually.

They sure make you tight since you're supposed to hold your piss throughout all of The Irishman! :laugh: