Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

AlexDeGruven posted:

This actually falls way more on the shoulders of printer manufacturers and their colossally lovely software practices.
Microsoft deserves a lot of blame one way or another for the simple fact that printer drivers running in kernel mode is still a thing at all when it should have been killed off years ago. I of course agree that the printer vendors have some of the worst programmers out there, but the fact that they're even playing in kernel space is all Microsoft's fault. The "V4" printer driver model has been around since Windows 8 to fix this but is still not widely supported. Somehow I even have clients with fully up-to-date applications that can't print to V4 drivers due to whatever undocumented internal fuckery they're expecting to pull.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I suspect the insidious nature of printing is that it's a business class action and pretty firmly in that sweet spot of 'too important to gently caress up, too uninteresting to get real attention paid to it'.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

MikusR posted:

Stuff you think is easy and solved is usually neither of those.

Yes it is, when Everything can find literally everything and Windows search can't even find stuff in the start menu it is laughable. Especially when these developers have a fraction of the resources that MS has available to them.

Same goes for the other stuff.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It's crazy how printing hasn't really changed from the Windows 9x days. Something stuck in your printer queue? Highlight it and delete it a dozen times before it maybe goes away (usually requires a reboot).

I've been doing the printer queue dance for 25 years now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've been trying to track down why my CP2077 performance is so terrible with my 2950X and a 3080(!). I've been backtracking various things I've done. One thing between the last session and this one was enabling the Memory Integrity feature in Windows Security. Disabling it bumped frame rates from 30-32 to 38-40. Yikes!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 22, 2021

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Yes it is, when Everything can find literally everything and Windows search can't even find stuff in the start menu it is laughable. Especially when these developers have a fraction of the resources that MS has available to them.

Same goes for the other stuff.

It's "simple" so long as you keep the feature set barebones. Search box that finds things by filename? Easy enough. Search box that also deep dives into zip archives and documents so you can find that one Word document for you can't remember the name of but you know some of the contents? Much harder.

In a similar vein, printers have a ton of extra features integrated via drivers. Ink level tracking, waking from power save modes, all kinds of little layout and quality adjustments, etc. It'd be nice if Microsoft could force manufacturers to meet minimum standards but that's not really their responsibility at the end of the day.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Do Brother still make nice laser printers with minimalistic drivers? I remember that being a thing but it was probably 15 years ago now. HP printers are an absolute clusterfuck and their wireless setup is an absolute ballache.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I got a Brother HL-L2350DW a couple of years back to replace an old HP inkjet / scanner monstrosity, and so far it's just worked. No idea about the driver situation but I've pushed jobs wirelessly from phones, tablets, PCs etc and it's never had an issue.

To contrast the old HP one would eat jobs roughly one out of three times (even with a wired connection) and then you had to repeatedly try to clear the job from the print queue because otherwise it would suddenly find it at 3am and rumble into life. About ten years back I was living with flatmates so my PC was right next to my bed and the first time it did it I had no idea what the gently caress was happening.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Which printer brands/product lines/models have a feature to view jobs received and their status/result?
I've see it on the Konica-Minolta MFP's we have at work, but not on the HP LaserJets. It's just really helpful in troubleshooting IMO.

Also, unrelated, yesterday I installed a printer driver from the Windows XP SP2 64 bit disc to my Windows 10 machine, the generic Epson 9-pin compatible driver, to use a vintage dot matrix printer from 1992. It works perfectly. I just need to figure out how to refresh the ink ribbon and fix the unreliable paper feed.

Edit: Wait I thought I was in the printer threat here.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 23, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Party Boat posted:

I got a Brother HL-L2350DW a couple of years back to replace an old HP inkjet / scanner monstrosity, and so far it's just worked. No idea about the driver situation but I've pushed jobs wirelessly from phones, tablets, PCs etc and it's never had an issue.

To contrast the old HP one would eat jobs roughly one out of three times (even with a wired connection) and then you had to repeatedly try to clear the job from the print queue because otherwise it would suddenly find it at 3am and rumble into life. About ten years back I was living with flatmates so my PC was right next to my bed and the first time it did it I had no idea what the gently caress was happening.

Yeah Brother has been my go-to printer recommendation for years, too. Very reliable. At one point my office had a huge and expensive printer that was such dogshit (HP), I brought a little Brother from home and my team just used my printer instead. Mine cost less per page, too.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I bought my Brother double sided laser printer in 2005. No problems so far. Drivers still work in windows 10.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So Windows is making me update to the 20H2 version on Sunday from my current 1909. I have some custom registry changes on my current version that allows me to use certain programs. Will these be overwritten by the update?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Maybe? Can you dump those changes to a reg file and just run that post upgrade?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Right now HP is not only forcing you to buy ONLY HP cartriges with a forced firmware update they pushed but also using HP Smart which is mandatory for tons of their printers and you need to create a loving hp account to scan. I refuse to buy anything HP anymore. gently caress that company.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, they ain't been poo poo since I used to be rocking an 870Cse.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

c0burn posted:

Do Brother still make nice laser printers with minimalistic drivers? I remember that being a thing but it was probably 15 years ago now. HP printers are an absolute clusterfuck and their wireless setup is an absolute ballache.

yes, my hl-l2350dw has a driver only package that is about a 30 MB download.

I was able to print without it, but not all applications would let me print on both sides or select toner save, etc.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

redeyes posted:

Right now HP is not only forcing you to buy ONLY HP cartriges with a forced firmware update they pushed but also using HP Smart which is mandatory for tons of their printers and you need to create a loving hp account to scan. I refuse to buy anything HP anymore. gently caress that company.

I've seen that, and it's misleading - as far as I can tell if you don't create an HP account it just doesn't let you do a couple pointless things. I haven't fully investigated it because the only Windows machine I have a reason to print from regularly is my work laptop, and that Windows 10 installation won't print to anything or install printers properly regardless of brand.

My HP laser all-in-one works fine in Linux, and I have it set up to scan to a network folder, so I have been printing from Linux and scanning to network and it's been just fine. It's fine on a couple other Windows 10 machines, just not my work laptop.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've seen that, and it's misleading - as far as I can tell if you don't create an HP account it just doesn't let you do a couple pointless things. I haven't fully investigated it because the only Windows machine I have a reason to print from regularly is my work laptop, and that Windows 10 installation won't print to anything or install printers properly regardless of brand.

My HP laser all-in-one works fine in Linux, and I have it set up to scan to a network folder, so I have been printing from Linux and scanning to network and it's been just fine. It's fine on a couple other Windows 10 machines, just not my work laptop.

It full on blocks you from scanning with no account logged in.

gently caress HP!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

"Hi, 2007 me, it's 2021 and we dual boot into Linux to print things now"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have defeated the advertising industry. I have been getting the exact same ads as my wife for weeks now. Today I opened my Instagram, which is exclusively used for memes and pictures of dogs, and was able to tell my wife what she was looking at on the internet.

So the only identifying characteristic they have on me is the information gleaned from my association with her. Which is fine since she determines what we buy anyways.

Anyways, all of this is to say that I have absolutely zero idea what Microsoft is doing with my user data. They run ads, right? But if I'm not using Bing where would I even see them? I locked down my Win10 installation as much as possible so I don't see ads in the start menu or whatever.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
"Person in this zip code (which has the following known demographic profile) just bought this item. Let's show it to someone else there."

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

jokes posted:

I have defeated the advertising industry. I have been getting the exact same ads as my wife for weeks now. Today I opened my Instagram, which is exclusively used for memes and pictures of dogs, and was able to tell my wife what she was looking at on the internet.

So the only identifying characteristic they have on me is the information gleaned from my association with her. Which is fine since she determines what we buy anyways.

Anyways, all of this is to say that I have absolutely zero idea what Microsoft is doing with my user data. They run ads, right? But if I'm not using Bing where would I even see them? I locked down my Win10 installation as much as possible so I don't see ads in the start menu or whatever.

Oh man this guy's computer is broadcasting an IP address!

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Should I upgrade from 2004/19041 to 20H2/19042? Any bad things to worry about?

Khablam posted:

"Hi, 2007 me, it's 2021 and we dual boot into Linux to print things now"

I lol'd.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

admiraldennis posted:

Should I upgrade from 2004/19041 to 20H2/19042? Any bad things to worry about?

20H2 was a glorified update rollup and had no major issues. The only lovely thing about it is the increase in MS Account pushing.

Anyways microsoft got tired of the bi-annual major updates being all predictable at loving up people's computers. So now those are extremely stable and tested, and the regular Patch Tuesday updates are the ones where you get to play russian roulette.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
sometimes i'll have firefox tabs reopen weird or the third monitor i use gets a bit fuckey or i'll close the left most window by accident and my firefox windows (not tabs) wind up out of order on the task bar, which requires me to manually move them all over. is there an easier way of doing that? it's kind of a pain.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Klyith posted:

20H2 was a glorified update rollup and had no major issues. The only lovely thing about it is the increase in MS Account pushing.

Anyways microsoft got tired of the bi-annual major updates being all predictable at loving up people's computers. So now those are extremely stable and tested, and the regular Patch Tuesday updates are the ones where you get to play russian roulette.

Thanks, and lol - I guess I won't wait forever like I usually do on my main workstation.

I did just install a freshie of 20H2 (budget build valheim server) and certainly noticed the degree of M$ account upsell, it was like trying to find the opt-out on a bad website with multiple steps designed to trick you

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Would a Linux VM be able to print to a network printer from Windows? Because it would be hilarious if the easiest way for me to get around the broken printing on my work laptop would be to throw a VM on there and print from that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

admiraldennis posted:

I did just install a freshie of 20H2 (budget build valheim server) and certainly noticed the degree of M$ account upsell, it was like trying to find the opt-out on a bad website with multiple steps designed to trick you

Group Policies -> Computer Config -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> Accounts: Block Microsoft Accounts

Turning that on prevents the fullscreen nagware thing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This is neither here nor there, but if Microsoft *does* buy Discord, I'm deleting my account if they force you to roll it into a Microsoft account. Seriously, gently caress off with that, Microsoft. I'm begging you, AMD, make SR-IOV a standard consumer-level feature to make my virtualization life easier.

Back on topic, is anyone else getting memory access bluescreens related to things using the video card? I have two machines on 20H2 now, against my better judgement, and both occasionally get bluescreens when doing video in browsers or other GPU-accelerated things, and these were not problems while still on 19H2.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 25, 2021

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Good news guys, they're finally updating the icons in explorer!

And...um

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gradients are back on the menu?!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Woah who let the KDE themes in

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

step out the front door like a ghost into a fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Magically, a Windows update actually solved an issue I was having. I had.. uh, a device, apparently stuck in a state all my USB ports were working just fine but periodically Windows would rapidly connect/disconnect something and tell me the last device I plugged in was malfunctioning. Unplugging everything didn't help, Device Manager only told me that something was hitting error 43 with "The SuperSpeed link to the USB device keeps going to an error state Compliance. If the device is removable, remove the device and then disable/enable from Device Manager to recover", which did nothing. The hardware ID was a generic one too.

I did the 2021-03 cumulative update and..problem solved. Even as someone who's really had next to no problem with Win10, boy I wish that was the case more often.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Woah who let the KDE themes in

KDE looks pretty great and consistent, Windows 10 is far from that.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
My File History broke and, by trying to fix it, I discovered it’s deprecated and going away. What’s a replacement automated solution to back up files to my NAS?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hypnophant posted:

My File History broke and, by trying to fix it, I discovered it’s deprecated and going away.

What? I don't think that's the case. Only the win7-compatible Backup and Restore. File history isn't going away.

OTOH File History was broken recently for some people due a buggy update, so if you're still on the February patch try updating to the next one.

hypnophant posted:

What’s a replacement automated solution to back up files to my NAS?

Back when I was looking into personal backups someone recommended UrBackup, and if I had a NAS that would have been my ideal software.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Would a Linux VM be able to print to a network printer from Windows? Because it would be hilarious if the easiest way for me to get around the broken printing on my work laptop would be to throw a VM on there and print from that.
Yes, it communicates over the network interface so it's not touching Windows drivers for printing.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

hypnophant posted:

I discovered it’s deprecated and going away.

Source? Neither https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-removed-features or https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-deprecated-features mention file history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmm, the latest dev build mentions a "new lighter runtime" for WDAG and Sandbox. Almost sounds like they're going with a thin kernel interface in the Hyper-V VMs now, shoving as much work over to the host.