Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BonHair posted:

Her entire character is "a woman", which means it's the most obvious role to play in a script. This is bad for multiple reasons.

Movie Troi is a lot better because she's more like how Marina Sirtis actually is in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I feel like latter-season Troi was already leaning toward “literally just Marina Sirtis”. She got more snarky as the years went on, I thought.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

Movie Troi is a lot better because she's more like how Marina Sirtis actually is in real life.

Well, it's not like Movie Troi was written with any sort of characterization, so you really can't blame Sirtis for just showing up, delivering her lines and snacking (and, let's face it, probably getting hammered) at craft services.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The scene of Deanna drunk and grumpy in First Contact is one of my favourite little Trek moments ever, it's just extremely funny to me.

e: Riker is hilarious in this scene. Jonathan Frakes is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtwwyusTd2E

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 23, 2021

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

So I finally decided to restart my Enterprise watch, and got to “Judgement” in season 2. So, they uh, just made a lovely version of Undiscovered Country huh? What a waste. They could’ve easily made it a multi-part episode, and it probably would’ve been pretty good. But I’m sure papa Berman wouldn’t allow it. Also great to see Hertzler on screen though.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

"Judgement" is actually a combination of TUC with the DS9 episode "Rules of Engagement", and I remember it because it was the episode that got me to stop watching ENT. I was a teenager at the time and had gone through the later seasons of VOY with only a vague feeling that what I was watching wasn't very good...then I got to ENT and this episode, saw it was just a low-budget collage of a bunch of better, older movies and episodes, and realized I didn't want to watch it anymore. I ended up drifting away from Trek for a long time after that.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Marshal Radisic posted:

"Judgement" is actually a combination of TUC with the DS9 episode "Rules of Engagement", and I remember it because it was the episode that got me to stop watching ENT. I was a teenager at the time and had gone through the later seasons of VOY with only a vague feeling that what I was watching wasn't very good...then I got to ENT and this episode, saw it was just a low-budget collage of a bunch of better, older movies and episodes, and realized I didn't want to watch it anymore. I ended up drifting away from Trek for a long time after that.

That’s pretty much exactly what happened with me. Enterprise just becomes a slog, with nothing ever really being original or that well executed, and you can feel that the people making the show either don’t care or are burnt out. It sucks too because the premise of Enterprise is strong and could’ve been really good.

Awwww, damnit, and now a Mayweather episode. For fucks sake no wonder I stopped watching.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Brannon Braga later admitted that he was burned out after finishing Voyager and shouldn't have accepted the Enterprise showrunner job

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
What are those blue mugs from Deep Space 9, the ones with the flared bases? Were they made exclusively for the show?

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

https://highwave.com/products/hotjo

It’s an updated design and there’s no blue, but it’s the modern version of that mug. And it was used on Babylon 5!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
These?

They're called "no spill" mugs and they must have been popular at one point because I've had two or three lying around for as long as I can remember. No idea where they came from, but ours have Christmas designs on them. Because of the narrow neck, they keep coffee hot for a lot longer than a standard mug.

https://sprudge.com/no-spill-mug-feltman-langer-160969.html

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The only thing i want to know from Picard, is if Riker ever got over his thing... with chairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVIGhYMwRgs

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Axe-man posted:

The only thing i want to know from Picard, is if Riker ever got over his thing... with chairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVIGhYMwRgs

He did that because Frakes irl hosed his back up from when he worked as a piano mover, so if Frakes ever turns up in the show you should be in luck!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Lester Shy posted:

These?

They're called "no spill" mugs and they must have been popular at one point because I've had two or three lying around for as long as I can remember. No idea where they came from, but ours have Christmas designs on them. Because of the narrow neck, they keep coffee hot for a lot longer than a standard mug.

They're used on ships I believe.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lester Shy posted:

These?

Neat, thank you guys!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Kwatz posted:

So I finally decided to restart my Enterprise watch, and got to “Judgement” in season 2. So, they uh, just made a lovely version of Undiscovered Country huh? What a waste. They could’ve easily made it a multi-part episode, and it probably would’ve been pretty good. But I’m sure papa Berman wouldn’t allow it. Also great to see Hertzler on screen though.

The worst thing with Judgment is the end - Archer is sent to Rura Penthe, which is made out to be an impenetrable prison and yet Reed is able to slip in and get him out in 5 minutes just in time for the credits.

At least in its favour the story is followed up on a few times before the end of the season.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I want the mug that plays Quark's commercial.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Timby posted:

Well, it's not like Movie Troi was written with any sort of characterization, so you really can't blame Sirtis for just showing up, delivering her lines and snacking (and, let's face it, probably getting hammered) at craft services.

I love the Text from TNG where the caption is about "how she's so hammered she feels like someone kicked her in her balls. Her lady balls cause she's a lady" because I can imagine drunk Troi slurring it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The one unanswered Star Trek thing I want to know is why Picard and Guinan were super-pals

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sash! posted:

The one unanswered Star Trek thing I want to know is why Picard and Guinan were super-pals

Personally, I hope they never touch on that. I enjoy the mystery of it. Same with why Q is loving terrified of her for seemingly no logical reason. I'm worried with Guinan showing up in Picard Season 2 and John DeLancie hinting that Q might too means that they're gonna ruin one or both of those things by giving in to the need to explain it, but we'll see.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

Personally, I hope they never touch on that. I enjoy the mystery of it. Same with why Q is loving terrified of her for seemingly no logical reason. I'm worried with Guinan showing up in Picard Season 2 and John DeLancie hinting that Q might too means that they're gonna ruin one or both of those things by giving in to the need to explain it, but we'll see.

:same:

One of the best things about Time's Arrow aside from tng edit 23 is how they make it seem like you're going to find out the whole story of why the two of them are such good friends.

Instead you get a cool moment that is clearly just the tip of the iceberg.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lester Shy posted:

These?

Pier One Imports used to sell them back in the mid 80s, I have one shaped exactly like a cuppa raktajino

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
those mugs are what screams "this was made in the mid-90s" more than anything else about DS9.

i definitely had 2 or 3 of those in college.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 24, 2021

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

aparmenideanmonad posted:

:same:

One of the best things about Time's Arrow aside from tng edit 23 is how they make it seem like you're going to find out the whole story of why the two of them are such good friends.

Instead you get a cool moment that is clearly just the tip of the iceberg.

Game recognizing Game is the theory I am sticking by.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Dollhouse's second and last season would have already been in production when Sarah Connor Chronicles second season was airing so that doesn't really track.

If anything, it was cancelled to save Fringe.

I would sacrifice T:SCC to save Fringe, but not Dollhouse.

But to be fair, the twist of Dollhouse was B A N A N A S in the beat possible way.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

Let's not oversell it; he's a little worried/disgusted like a tarantula just walked over his shoe, but he's not terrified, loving or otherwise.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Astroman posted:

I would sacrifice T:SCC to save Fringe, but not Dollhouse.

But to be fair, the twist of Dollhouse was B A N A N A S in the beat possible way.

I retrospect, I'm glad we got the Fringe we got. At the time, I actually specifically said I would be pissed if Fringe got renewed and T:SCC was cancelled because Fringe was in the first season and I thought the wooden Olivia was a failing of the show rather than a character choice because she was broken. Once that became apparent in the 2nd season, I was all on board.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

So...this is gonna be the Borg episode huh? There’s no way this is going to suck. Nope. They’re gonna nail it.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
From what I remember, the Enterprise Borg episode is good. It's just ... unnecessary and adds some frustrating elements to continuity.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The Enterprise borg episode always made it out of canon for me, cause it means it is an alt dimension where First Contact was real, since, Picard didn't go on that originally Enterprise was screwed up more than normal, and then you have the stupid future war which did even more.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MillennialVulcan posted:

From what I remember, the Enterprise Borg episode is good. It's just ... unnecessary and adds some frustrating elements to continuity.
Yeah, "unnecessary" mostly covers it. Along with "contrived", as - like the Ferengi episode - it had to jump through some ridiculous hoops to explain to the audience why Starfleet didn't know about them later. Whereas when Discovery came around, the writers just went gently caress YOU whenever what they wanted to do made no sense in relation to TOS or later.

Still, could have been worse. Like when Doctor Who went "the Moon is a giant space dragon egg!" :haw: despite numerous earlier stories (set later in the timeline) having taken place on the actual Moon, rather than the brand-new space dragon egg that replaced it after the original hatched.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
got a clickbait headline on my phone today of Shatner saying he's never watched an episode of Star Trek. Felt like for a while he was hurt or confused why he was never asked back for any future Trek projects

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Payndz posted:

Yeah, "unnecessary" mostly covers it. Along with "contrived", as - like the Ferengi episode - it had to jump through some ridiculous hoops to explain to the audience why Starfleet didn't know about them later. Whereas when Discovery came around, the writers just went gently caress YOU whenever what they wanted to do made no sense in relation to TOS or later.

Still, could have been worse. Like when Doctor Who went "the Moon is a giant space dragon egg!" :haw: despite numerous earlier stories (set later in the timeline) having taken place on the actual Moon, rather than the brand-new space dragon egg that replaced it after the original hatched.

Had a pretty open day, so I went ahead and rewatched Regeneration. Yeah, it holds up well. Still completely unnecessary, but if they had a demand from the studio or producers to make a Borg episode, they did a great job with it. The crew knows nothing about the Borg, learns bits and pieces as they go along. There's a lot of tension with Archer trying to figure out if they can still save the Tarkelians or if they need to just blow up the ship, Phlox isn't sure if he can save himself from the nanoprobes and considers death as an option to prevent the spread until he takes some extreme measures to get rid of them. I liked it. Good Enterprise stuff.

Edit: Feel like i'm being too qualitative, it was good Star Trek.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 24, 2021

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So I just watched The Die is Cast on DS9.

This uh.

This got dark

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

a neat cape posted:

This uh.

This got dark

h e l l y e a h

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

MillennialVulcan posted:

Edit: Feel like i'm being too qualitative, it was good Star Trek.

I would like to see quantitative Trek analysis. DS9 is best because it has the most supporting characters, Discovery wins in having the longest arches. Also the largest turbolift dimension.

I just watched DS9: Duet. Good episode. But it made me think of Kira swearing. She literally tells the story of parents being raped in front of their children and other atrocities, and that's somehow more acceptable than having her say "loving Cardassians". It just makes no sense to me that a bad word is of limits, but descriptions of war crimes and crimes against humanity is okay, because it's not on the list.

What I'm saying is, Kira should swear a bunch. They could at least have given her some Bajoran swears, like in Firefly or BSG.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Nah, I've just developed this annoying habit of referring to things like "Oh that was good FOR VOYAGER", but like even if a show overall is uneven, it can still just have legitimately good episodes without having to call out "oh but the show sucks" every time in fear that someone might think I like it.

Overexaggerating here, but that's the gist.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, those shows came two decades later and weren't sold into syndication where any number of things could knock them off the air or cause them to be scheduled in the middle of the night.

For example, the show got a huge amount of backlash for "Rejoined" with tons of complaints and a southern affiliate editing the episode over a single same sex kiss that wasn't even framed as a lesbian relationship.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

MillennialVulcan posted:

Had a pretty open day, so I went ahead and rewatched Regeneration. Yeah, it holds up well. Still completely unnecessary, but if they had a demand from the studio or producers to make a Borg episode, they did a great job with it. The crew knows nothing about the Borg, learns bits and pieces as they go along. There's a lot of tension with Archer trying to figure out if they can still save the Tarkelians or if they need to just blow up the ship, Phlox isn't sure if he can save himself from the nanoprobes and considers death as an option to prevent the spread until he takes some extreme measures to get rid of them. I liked it. Good Enterprise stuff.

I was afraid of it being more akin to the Ferengi episode but it turned out to be pretty enjoyable. It’s definitely going on my list of good trek episodes to just put on when I need something to watch.

And now I’m at the end of season 2 beginning of season 3. Watching Archer immediately turn into “a hard man making hard decisions” and “just doing what I have to do” is a pretty rough transition. 9/11 really did a number on the show. And what they’re trying to do isn’t a subtle metaphor or well done at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

a neat cape posted:

This uh.

This got dark

Wait until you see the next episode!

It's "Explorers"