Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

jetz0r posted:

Reposting from cspam

A friend of mine helped me snag an appointment. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

becerra is now the US health and human secretary.

Who is going to be the next Attorney General of California? As a thorn in the side of the democratic party, I fear that they'll take katie porter. Or maybe they'll take david min.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Shear Modulus posted:

I've tried to unsubscribe from Gavin's stupid emails like three times now but he keeps sending them to me

You might be able to remove Gavin as Governor, but you can't remove yourself from his mailing list.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

jetz0r posted:

Reposting from cspam

Literally my experience aswell. Makeup isle in a red chair.

Cvs website I checked it every day for a week till I could get an apt 2 miles away. Check it on Saturdays aswell.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

sb hermit posted:

becerra is now the US health and human secretary.

Who is going to be the next Attorney General of California? As a thorn in the side of the democratic party, I fear that they'll take katie porter. Or maybe they'll take david min.

Gavin appoints himself because it appears AG of CA is a quicker way to national politics than Gov.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

AngryBooch posted:

Gavin appoints himself because it appears AG of CA is a quicker way to national politics than Gov.

Finaly it will be Jello Biafra's time to shine.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Appointing himself as AG would certainly be one way to dodge the recall lol

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ESCochrane/status/1373080548567048193

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hopefully the other two senate democrat moderates will go with it

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Goons,

Someone just came into the store today looking for "the stuff that turns fire blue." Should I call the cops and tell them someone's about to do a gender reveal apocalypse? :v:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Rainbow Knight posted:

Goons,

Someone just came into the store today looking for "the stuff that turns fire blue." Should I call the cops and tell them someone's about to do a gender reveal apocalypse? :v:

give them a bottle of water eyyy lmao

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Rainbow Knight posted:

Goons,

Legit question here, is there something about California that makes people thing fire/explosions are the way to reveal a baby's gender? Is it proximity to hollywood? why always fire.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beelzebufo posted:

Legit question here, is there something about California that makes people thing fire/explosions are the way to reveal a baby's gender? Is it proximity to hollywood? why always fire.

lots more federal land (read: empty space) and people think that deserts can't burn

I have a feeling that it happens just as much elsewhere, but the stories have much less fires, and much more death. See: gender reveal cannon in Michigan kills two.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Lot more people than other states too

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Beelzebufo posted:

Fire and explosions are cool.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpHRFr3rk6E

California will become irrelevant due to Texas!?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I feel like all the out of states do that dumb gender reveal shot.

punk rebel ecks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpHRFr3rk6E

California will become irrelevant due to Texas!?
Ah, Texas. Famous for its temperate climate and even more well-tempered denizes and natural beauty such as... uh....

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Texas has a variety of climates and a variety of people, much like California. They're hampered by a class of large landowners that holds excessive political power and various resource rights, much like California. The fact that we're so similar is the chief source of our antagonisms. I think Texan jingoism is more populist than Californian jingoism, which is more elitist, but who cares.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
workers moving to texas from california is funny because they're the only state that doesn't require businesses to have workmans comp

also in california you get paid maternity and paternity leave, it rules. while texas is trying their hardest to outlaw women's clinics because they sometimes do abortions

and then there's the whole californian protections against noncompete clauses whereas texan employers can basically claim the profits from a book you wrote in your spare time unless you can prove you didn't think about the plot while you were on the clock

lol texas. and my family there doesn't understand why we'd ever consider moving closer, nevermind the whole powergrid debacle that's for sure gonna be annual now

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 23, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

workers moving to texas from california is funny because they're the only state that doesn't require businesses to have workmans comp

also in california you get paid maternity and paternity leave, it rules. while texas is trying their hardest to outlaw women's clinics because they sometimes do abortions

and then there's the whole californian protections against noncompete clauses whereas texan employers can basically claim the profits from a book you wrote in your spare time unless you can prove you didn't think about the plot while you were on the clock

lol texas. and my family there doesn't understand why we'd ever consider moving closer, nevermind the whole powergrid debacle that's for sure gonna be annual now

if you imagine someone who cares more about their hobby of collecting and discharging a wide variety of firearms than they do about womens' health it starts to slot into place

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I had a friend in college whose family couldn't get work in Fresno. They didn't see themselves being able to afford much in the bay area or LA, and so initially were going to go to Texas to get work... this was probably 10 years ago or more. Anyhow, I think they ended up in Minnesota.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

FilthyImp posted:

I feel like all the out of states do that dumb gender reveal shot.

Ah, Texas. Famous for its temperate climate and even more well-tempered denizes and natural beauty such as... uh....

As mentioned, Texas has multiple different climates (all hot, though). And the geography of the state does lend itself to a lot of natural beauty, just different from the kind you get in California.

That said, a Texan very much hyped up on Texas tried telling me once that Big Bend National Park was better than Yosemite, and they even did it with a straight face.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't fault Texas for anything because I hear the really obnoxious ten gallon hat "are freedum" redneck types are in fact all recent transplants from, well, California. So we're to blame, but also thanks Texas for taking those assholes off our hands. If you want some more there are plenty around east and north of Sacramento.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I always thought California's cost of living was so high due to so many people wanting to live there while Texas was cheaper because we'll people did not. It's why Austin housing prices are skyrocketing now that it is an "it city".

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't fault Texas for anything because I hear the really obnoxious ten gallon hat "are freedum" redneck types are in fact all recent transplants from, well, California. So we're to blame, but also thanks Texas for taking those assholes off our hands. If you want some more there are plenty around east and north of Sacramento.

The "Californians will turn Texas Blue!" Fear mongering is amusing since it's transplants who mean Republican not Texan natives.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Is it wrong to consider 'texas is going blue' is possibly due to the Democratic party shifting Right absorbing the trad conservative as GOP goes full fash?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FilthyImp posted:

Central Texas can be very beautiful if you take its arid landscape for what it is, rather than as a poor substitute for mountains and trees. The canyons and areas around the rivers are beautiful in their own way.

Mind you, I wouldn't ever, ever move there, but that has to do with the climate and the politics. The things I like to grow wouldn't thrive in Texas.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it's worth remembering that in 2018 native texans voted for beto but transplants voted for lyin' ted cruz

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

droll posted:

Is it wrong to consider 'texas is going blue' is possibly due to the Democratic party shifting Right absorbing the trad conservative as GOP goes full fash?

Not really. Blue Texas candidates range from Manchin types to Bernie types.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

People also say "I'm moving to Texas because of the high taxes here in California" and you'll pay more state taxes in Texas than here so lol.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I always thought California's cost of living was so high due to so many people wanting to live there while Texas was cheaper because we'll people did not. It's why Austin housing prices are skyrocketing now that it is an "it city".
California is more expensive than Texas because

* More people want to live there

* Booming economy with big salaries, especially in tech

* California really hates building housing

On that last point, like most conservative areas, Texas generally makes it hard to build up, but you can at least build out. Forever sprawl isn't a good solution to housing demand, but it's possibly less bad than "gently caress you, you'll pay $3000+ in rent and like it" like California does.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

People also say "I'm moving to Texas because of the high taxes here in California" and you'll pay more state taxes in Texas than here so lol.

Yeah doesn't Texas have absurdly high property and sales taxes to compensate for their lack of state income tax?

But yeah, cheap land and gas is a big draw for a lot of people.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I've lived in both. Texas was much cheaper in taxes with much fewer services. I don't remember about tax rates specifically, but housing was cheaper enough that rent/property tax was much less in absolute dollars even if rates might have been higher/equivalent

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
california has higher sales taxes than texas, though not much higher

louisiana is up there too. but yeah the stark difference is what public services you get for it

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Foxfire_ posted:

I've lived in both. Texas was much cheaper in taxes with much fewer services. I don't remember about tax rates specifically, but housing was cheaper enough that rent/property tax was much less in absolute dollars even if rates might have been higher/equivalent

Check it out.

Taxes weren't cheaper, the general cost of living was.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Taxes were definitely cheaper. That site is mostly about how tax burden is distributed, where Texas is much more regressive because it's all sales and property tax instead of income tax.
San Antonio sales/property tax is 8.25%/2% and San Francisco is 8.5%/1.2%. More expensive housing + income tax more than overcame the difference in property tax rate.

In exchange, San Antonio had much worse schools, nonexistent social services & transit, terrible infrastructure maintenance, etc... California is taxing more (especially on the rich) but also doing more common-good things with it

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 24, 2021

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Foxfire_ posted:

California Commie-fornia is taxing more (especially on the risk) but also doing more common-good things with it

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cicero posted:

like most conservative areas, Texas generally makes it hard to build up
...why?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I personally like how my state of Oregon does things. Very high income tax and no sales tax.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

punk rebel ecks posted:

I personally like how my state of Oregon does things. Very high income tax and no sales tax.

This is why Nevada’s billionaires make extravagant luxury purchases in Oregon and then have their fine art and exotic doodads trucked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Craptacular! posted:

This is why Nevada’s billionaires make extravagant luxury purchases in Oregon and then have their fine art and exotic doodads trucked in.

At least a trucker's getting paid, i guess