Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

That's not what I'm going for, sorry.
I'm saying that the most credible accusation we have so far is from someone that was close with them and we know them by name. I'm worried that she's going to get a lot of undue heat for this.

She obviously is, that isn't even a question at this point. If GG decides today or tomorrow that they're going to deny the accusations, there's gonna be hardcore fans that will immediately latch onto that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Think Arin knew? He had to. There's a huge amount of radio silence on their part and the longer they do it, the more damming it gets.

Though I guess what would they even say? Don't trust young scared victims?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Keep in mind they're west coast and probably consulting with PR people before saying anything.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think the only way Arin isn't hosed too is if he really didn't know the extent of what Dan was doing, puts out an apology to the victims, and severs (at the very least) his working relationship with Dan. I'm assuming there's going to be a split and Arin will just do content by himself.

Or he'll double down and deny the accusations. Youtubers get away with this poo poo easily if they're popular enough and have staunch defenders/deniers so :shrug:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
whats with all the defenses of dan? dudes a loving weird creep going for specific age ranged girls because he is a gross gently caress who wants to have a hosed up controlling power dynamic so he can be a lecherious old gently caress and then throw them away and probably gas light them.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats with all the defenses of dan? dudes a loving weird creep going for specific age ranged girls because he is a gross gently caress who wants to have a hosed up controlling power dynamic so he can be a lecherious old gently caress and then throw them away and probably gas light them.

I hate it, too. And it's really gaining traction online, I really don't think anything will come out of it. People are totally excusing it as "adult people having sex", some are saying that this is just infantilization of young women, a complete gloss over the actual pattern of the accusations which is lying to young (some underage) women about being friends/in love with them, having sex and and then ghosting.

Stuff like that is really cruel and can cause deep issues in the victims of such acts, especially if they're young.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If it’s not that reason it’s “X person did worse thing and they’re still around making videos”, which isn’t really a defense of anything.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Meallan posted:

I hate it, too. And it's really gaining traction online, I really don't think anything will come out of it. People are totally excusing it as "adult people having sex", some are saying that this is just infantilization of young women, a complete gloss over the actual pattern of the accusations which is lying to young (some underage) women about being friends/in love with them, having sex and and then ghosting.

Stuff like that is really cruel and can cause deep issues in the victims of such acts, especially if they're young.

if she were in her 20s then sure, its kinda gross but its less hosed up. but this dude is going right for the "second shes legal" type awful poo poo.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I agree that it's even worse when the victims are young, but I have to disagree that doing that in general (even to older people) is just skeevy.

I personally see it as full on predation, and think its just possible to exist as a pattern if someone does not care about other people in general.

Pretending you like someone just to use them and then discard them is something that cause extensive harm. I've seen people with years long problems in trusting new partners, and even friends, due to stuff like this. To me it's just cruel. No decent person would do this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://yes-itsathrowaway.tumblr.com/post/188987939127/dan-avidan-accusations-masterpost#notes

here is all the stuff compiled and pretty sure one of the other accusations against dan.

Meallan posted:

I agree that it's even worse when the victims are young, but I have to disagree that doing that in general (even to older people) is just skeevy.

I personally see it as full on predation, and think its just possible to exist as a pattern if someone does not care about other people in general.

Pretending you like someone just to use them and then discard them is something that cause extensive harm. I've seen people with years long problems in trusting new partners, and even friends, due to stuff like this. To me it's just cruel. No decent person would do this.

i meant if the one partner was like late 30s/40s and the other was mid 20s or something. not what dan is doing. dan is a predator.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I am in awe at all of the people coming out to make sure everyone understands that this pattern of behavior definitely isn't grooming and you should ignore the inherent imbalance of power in a relationship between a YouTube gaming celebrity and an eager fan.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, the defenders are all over the gamegrumps and rantgrumps subs. The argument is basically always "number was high enough when sex happened so nothing bad to see here".

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 22, 2021

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://yes-itsathrowaway.tumblr.com/post/188987939127/dan-avidan-accusations-masterpost#notes

here is all the stuff compiled and pretty sure one of the other accusations against dan.

i meant if the one partner was like late 30s/40s and the other was mid 20s or something. not what dan is doing. dan is a predator.

I don't give a poo poo what two consenting adults do, I want to know if he's actually grooming people. All I've seen is a cordial, platonic text message with a 17 year old then a 4 year time skip where he's sending her a hot tub video.

Also this master post is poo poo. At no point was anybody saying they didn't consent, nobody said they were underage, every text message is enthusiastic between participants. The only evidence in this tumblr post is that Dan's a player and breaks hearts. It's rude, but not abuse.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I don't give a poo poo what two consenting adults do, I want to know if he's actually grooming people. All I've seen is a cordial, platonic text message with a 17 year old then a 4 year time skip where he's sending her a hot tub video.

Also this master post is poo poo. At no point was anybody saying they didn't consent, nobody said they were underage, every text message is enthusiastic between participants. The only evidence in this tumblr post is that Dan's a player and breaks hearts. It's rude, but not abuse.

lmfao

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

ErrEff posted:

Yeah, the defenders are all over the gamegrumps and rantgrumps subs. The argument is basically always "number was high enough when sex happened so nothing bad to see here".

This is basically what predators like Dan are counting on, people defending them because they slept with legal adults so it's "okay". Like Drake just openly "dating" an underage girl, sleeping with her only when she's legal and then dumping her right after. Same poo poo.

It's why creeps groom, it gives them a plausible out when they finally get what they're after.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think that’s a problem people seem to not understand what grooming is, thinking it only applies if they are still underage but they kind of makes it pointless an act really

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

King Vidiot posted:

This is basically what predators like Dan are counting on, people defending them because they slept with legal adults so it's "okay". Like Drake just openly "dating" an underage girl, sleeping with her only when she's legal and then dumping her right after. Same poo poo.

It's why creeps groom, it gives them a plausible out when they finally get what they're after.

Yup, it seems he had an explicit strategy of waiting until they were over the age of 20, so even though his contact with them goes back to when they were literal children he's getting cover for not immediately propositioning them on their eighteenth birthday. Only really works for insane weirdos who are desperate to excuse the behavior, but, you know, gamers.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Lotta fans of the grumps on this old dying forum I guess.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

This just in emotional abuse not real, and loving someone under false pretenses is cool.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 22, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Look I know you all just told that other guy to gently caress off for denying abuse but have you considered listening to me deny abuse?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Meallan posted:

Yeah tbh I'd still be perfectly happy shunning him if he was pulling this poo poo on 40 year olds instead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ErrEff posted:

i am seeing it everywhere even on resetera of all places. like if she was like 20 something then whatever but the dude did grooming and apperently did it a bunch and had a system. thats loving gross.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gently caress off with this poo poo. like i have a thick-skinned for weird youtube clowns and i like some problamatic people because i think they are funny or some poo poo, i like oneyplays and vizipop and they all have many issues. but they don't do this poo poo as far as i know. this this is legit "groom chick, gently caress her and than ghost her" poo poo and its gross and lovely. if this was a teacher or some such. it wouldnt fly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it really so hard to imagine whether you would be OK with it happening to you? And whether you would think someone who did it to you is a creep?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

King Vidiot posted:

Dan in particular put on a persona of being kind and sweet and good-natured on the Grumps, so a lot of people assume he couldn't hurt anyone. It might be reflective of how he is in real life, but this particular form of emotional abuse can absolutely be done without breaking stride, just smiles and sweet nothings the whole time, never once considering that it might cause harm on the other end. The damning part is that he had contact with the victims when they were underage, not that he waited until they were of age to gently caress them and then drop all contact.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

This is from nearly 3 years ago. Holy yikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT8cX2-_7pQ

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

ErrEff posted:

I am in awe at all of the people coming out to make sure everyone understands that this pattern of behavior definitely isn't grooming and you should ignore the inherent imbalance of power in a relationship between a YouTube gaming celebrity and an eager fan.

Grooming underage people to sleep with them once they're legal is predatory behavior. Convincing people that you love them, that you have a relationship or are interested in a romantic relationship, so that you can sleep with them then cutting off contact is predatory behavior - regardless of age difference. Taking advantage of your celebrity so that you can do that to your fans is even more predatory behavior. Treating people like they don't matter, like their feelings don't matter, makes you a sexual predator (except in fetish behavior where everyone involved is aware of and has consented to such behavior). Legally being a sexual predator doesn't exonerate him from being a sexual predator.

I would also be in awe of people not realizing this, but at this point I'm just so used to it I expect people to ignore predatory behaviors so long as "they're legal" and to blame victims in pretty much all situations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm guessing there's no word from Arin or anybody Grumps-adjacent yet? Wondering if they're just going to go with sweep-this-under-the-rug tactic.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

King Vidiot posted:

I'm guessing there's no word from Arin or anybody Grumps-adjacent yet? Wondering if they're just going to go with sweep-this-under-the-rug tactic.

It wouldn’t be the first time.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

All Arin cares about is the bottom line. If they can survive this legally then that's the road he's going to take regardless if its the right one or not.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Buckwheat Sings posted:

All Arin cares about is the bottom line. If they can survive this legally then that's the road he's going to take regardless if its the right one or not.

kind of lol for people making GBS threads on him for any ad stuff as selling out when he's more or less become a corporate entity who lives and dies by the quarterly numbers.

if the past issue with their editor is comparable, they're gonna pretend like nothing happened for days/weeks, eventually post a massive screed on reddit with a defense against the allegations, and then never talk about it again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

pentyne posted:

kind of lol for people making GBS threads on him for any ad stuff as selling out when he's more or less become a corporate entity who lives and dies by the quarterly numbers.

if the past issue with their editor is comparable, they're gonna pretend like nothing happened for days/weeks, eventually post a massive screed on reddit with a defense against the allegations, and then never talk about it again.

what did the editor do? because this feels somewhat harder to defend.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Dan Avidan pulling a Seinfeld here.

Going after someone 20 years younger than himself, I mean.

Seinfeld rather famously didn't wait for the girl to turn 18 though.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RytMJ2-X-rw

At this point I kind of have to assume Arin has some skeletons in his closet as he replaced his white supremacist co-host with a sex pest co-host.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

rodbeard posted:

Seinfeld rather famously didn't wait for the girl to turn 18 though.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RytMJ2-X-rw

At this point I kind of have to assume Arin has some skeletons in his closet as he replaced his white supremacist co-host with a sex pest co-host.

idk. arin just seems socialy stupid when it comes to friends to put it nicely. but gently caress if i know.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what did the editor do? because this feels somewhat harder to defend.

bunch of gross public tweets, like tweeting at underage jacob sartorious that he wanted dick pics

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

TheAnomaly posted:

Grooming underage people to sleep with them once they're legal is predatory behavior. Convincing people that you love them, that you have a relationship or are interested in a romantic relationship, so that you can sleep with them then cutting off contact is predatory behavior - regardless of age difference. Taking advantage of your celebrity so that you can do that to your fans is even more predatory behavior. Treating people like they don't matter, like their feelings don't matter, makes you a sexual predator (except in fetish behavior where everyone involved is aware of and has consented to such behavior). Legally being a sexual predator doesn't exonerate him from being a sexual predator.

I would also be in awe of people not realizing this, but at this point I'm just so used to it I expect people to ignore predatory behaviors so long as "they're legal" and to blame victims in pretty much all situations.

Yeah, that's the thing that really gets to me. Even in the most generous possible reading, assuming all kinds of lessening factors that almost certainly aren't true, the guy is a loving sexual predator who lies to women in an effort to coax sex from them.

And yet some people are falling over each other to go to bat for this loving rear end in a top hat.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, that's the thing that really gets to me. Even in the most generous possible reading, assuming all kinds of lessening factors that almost certainly aren't true, the guy is a loving sexual predator who lies to women in an effort to coax sex from them.

And yet some people are falling over each other to go to bat for this loving rear end in a top hat.

Yes, and they are mostly interested in debating the dictionary definition of the word "grooming". Feels like I've seen that somewhere before...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah. If you believe the subreddit mods, it doesn't look like Dan contacted her when she was 18 at all, but that doesn't mean he didn't use her status as a fan to manipulate her as he's been accused of doing with many others over the years.

So he's still an abusive creeper and likely groomer but pedophile probably doesn't apply.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

well see, if its legal, that means its good

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

King Vidiot posted:

Gonna pop in to say please cut Ross some slack for being quiet on this despite his excitement for their recent videos.

CW for some heavy things but His mother recently got told she has a couple months left to live and he won't be able to see her most likely. He's been a mess in his own words and left the internet for a good while because he was having trouble dealing with it. He *just* started to come back to try to distract himself and open up a bit on one of his streams only for this all to happen the very next day. He's vanished again and I don't blame him at all.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

well see, if its legal, that means its good

I think it's more about what Dan could be "redeemed" from, that's why people are so interested in whether she was underaged when the first interaction happened. A sexpest is terrible but they're not a pedo, someone can bounce back from that, it's not a criminal charge.

Again, it's still bad to make this about the accused and how he's gonna be affected by that, but I guess there's some value in understanding why people are so obsessed about that part of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Gonna pop in to say please cut Ross some slack for being quiet on this despite his excitement for their recent videos.

CW for some heavy things but His mother recently got told she has a couple months left to live and he won't be able to see her most likely. He's been a mess in his own words and left the internet for a good while because he was having trouble dealing with it. He *just* started to come back to try to distract himself and open up a bit on one of his streams only for this all to happen the very next day. He's vanished again and I don't blame him at all.

Oof. Ross just can't catch a break. :(