Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

All of ch 3 is bonkers, you’re going to have to be more specific.

Fairy rescue made my gay little heart go :syoon:. Not gonna lie, Adelle and Martha look good together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I finally got through the game for real. Good game, would recommend.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

berenzen posted:

Has anyone found any armor that's better than the Dark Robes you can get off of the horse rare in salvalon, or should I just head back there and steal a couple more off of it?

I like Ninja Suit, the Brave Suit, and the Hellplate.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ramc posted:

I finally got through the game for real. Good game, would recommend.

I like it a lot so far (currently in Ch 6). A friend was pointing out of the reviews being in the 70s which is usually terrible and I think it's definitely not a JRPG for everyone but if you're really into JRPG combat systems and especially job combos you'll have a good time. Story is cute and I actually really like the dumb accents

There are definitely downsides, if you're paying $60 for this vs. say... Dragon Quest 11 or Persona 5 there's a clear gulf between the games, I get it. But I'm having fun

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Basically I think of this game as a 3DS game in 2021 and it works out really well as that, don't compare this game to AAA square enix titles

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I like this more than either DQ11 or Persona 5

then again, SQEX re-released those games I own with no discount to upgrade to the new version, so those games can go gently caress themselves and square enix too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s been almost a decade since the 3DS released, though. We definitely should have gotten a little further than this...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kyrosiris posted:

Given that (job name) Phantom and its second specialty were mentioned I assumed we meant "killing things and having Beast Whisperer proc". :v:

Oh, right that makes much more sense and I wasn't thinking about that passive at all.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished chapter 3. This game is back on my shitlist. :mad:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

It’s been almost a decade since the 3DS released, though. We definitely should have gotten a little further than this...

That's very fair! There are loads of things I think this game could've done better. It does feel like a budget release and yet it's the same price at launch as like... FF7 Remake and I can get how people would look at that and be like something is wrong here.

I think the "average" review being in the 70s is probably taking that all into account which I get. But to me, someone who has played FF5 and FF Tactics 3+ times each, any game where I can mix and match jobs and make fun combos is already pretty cool, and JRPGs that focus on combat are not widespread.

I think this is the kind of game that will be popular with a very specific group of JRPG fans, and JRPG fans are already a very specific group of people. I'm really enjoying it but I would not blindly recommend it even to friends who play lots of JRPGs

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pollyanna posted:

Finished chapter 3. This game is back on my shitlist. :mad:

I had a feeling this would happen...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That's very fair! There are loads of things I think this game could've done better. It does feel like a budget release and yet it's the same price at launch as like... FF7 Remake and I can get how people would look at that and be like something is wrong here.

I think the "average" review being in the 70s is probably taking that all into account which I get. But to me, someone who has played FF5 and FF Tactics 3+ times each, any game where I can mix and match jobs and make fun combos is already pretty cool, and JRPGs that focus on combat are not widespread.

I think this is the kind of game that will be popular with a very specific group of JRPG fans, and JRPG fans are already a very specific group of people. I'm really enjoying it but I would not blindly recommend it even to friends who play lots of JRPGs

Oh no FF5 is my favorite Final Fantasy so I will always love the Job system, and I see BD as the direct successor to Type B FF. But outside of mechanics, this game isn’t on its predecessor’s level, or even on its direct prequels’ level. :(

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I had a feeling this would happen...

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I like it a lot so far (currently in Ch 6). A friend was pointing out of the reviews being in the 70s which is usually terrible and I think it's definitely not a JRPG for everyone but if you're really into JRPG combat systems and especially job combos you'll have a good time. Story is cute and I actually really like the dumb accents

There are definitely downsides, if you're paying $60 for this vs. say... Dragon Quest 11 or Persona 5 there's a clear gulf between the games, I get it. But I'm having fun

they named the fourth final fantasy five bravely default two

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

What’s the best way to go around doing things in Chapter 6? Like I know there’s cutscenes and portals and ways to grind and dunno if there’s a best way to do all this

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also for some reason I can’t find the NPC for quest 100 for the growth eggs

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Also for some reason I can’t find the NPC for quest 100 for the growth eggs

I don't think she appears until Chapter 7.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

the next bravely default game cast should just be a ff5 prequel where you are bartz's dad, galuf, xexat and that werewolf guy

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh no I thought I was at the part where I finally start grinding to get stronger

I tried the ch 6 dungeon and it’s doable but still a bit hard. I’ll do the other growth egg quest and maybe grind some JP

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm in chapter 4 and wondering if i've misconfigured things for my party to wipe out grups of enemies.

I've got swordmaster (primary) equipped with freelancer (sub) as i read it should melt everything when you do regular attacks after enabling solid stance or whatever.

It kinda does but just barely because the damage output of my character with that setup is only about 800 per hit and i'm coming up against enemies with maybe 5000 health now.

Is there gear or something i'm missing which is holding me back? Like when i was on berserker i swear my damage per hit was up in the thousands, so should i have a berserker/swordmaster combo instead?

Or is there another game breaking combo i have access too at the minute (i already use god speed strike for bosses).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Oh no I thought I was at the part where I finally start grinding to get stronger

I tried the ch 6 dungeon and it’s doable but still a bit hard. I’ll do the other growth egg quest and maybe grind some JP

Portals are good to do at least once. If you're doing them quickly, they're a great way to get JP. Chapter 7 does make the process faster though, so it might be worth just fighting the portals a few times instead of grinding them out.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Kin posted:

I'm in chapter 4 and wondering if i've misconfigured things for my party to wipe out grups of enemies.

I've got swordmaster (primary) equipped with freelancer (sub) as i read it should melt everything when you do regular attacks after enabling solid stance or whatever.

It kinda does but just barely because the damage output of my character with that setup is only about 800 per hit and i'm coming up against enemies with maybe 5000 health now.

Is there gear or something i'm missing which is holding me back? Like when i was on berserker i swear my damage per hit was up in the thousands, so should i have a berserker/swordmaster combo instead?

Or is there another game breaking combo i have access too at the minute (i already use god speed strike for bosses).

Have you been getting the powerful weapons from the overworld boss enemies?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kin posted:

The opposite is better because of how Swordmaster 12 works.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Dirk the Average posted:

Have you been getting the powerful weapons from the overworld boss enemies?

Nope, i didn't know this was a thing. to be honest i've been fairly short of cash generally despite a lot of grinding so i've not even been able to afford most of the weapons/gear from the shops. Is there a guide out there that details these bosses?

Kyrosiris posted:

The opposite is better because of how Swordmaster 12 works.

My swordmaster is only at 11 with a couple of characters, what's the level 12 do?

I also just got gubbed by the phantom boss or whatever she's called. Her super high evade basically nullified my god speed strike approach. What's the class i should level up to nuke her?

Frustratingly, because of the story point i think the city transport guy is also gone until i beat her so i'd have to manually backtrack all the way to the snowy area to get some higher JP enemies unless there's a decent grind spot for JP near the desert city?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kin posted:

My swordmaster is only at 11 with a couple of characters, what's the level 12 do?

If you dual-wield two of the same type of weapon, you benefit from both specialties of your sub-job.

Berserker 12's gives you a 50/50 chance of being able to issue commands while berserk instead of them firing at random.

Combine this with Free for All and you have a highly-tuned killing machine.

Kin posted:

I also just got gubbed by the phantom boss or whatever she's called. Her super high evade basically nullified my god speed strike approach. What's the class i should level up to nuke her?

Berserker has a passive for that too. :v:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
SM/Ranger was my go to because barrage works with nine flurry

That's assuming you hold yourself back from the obvious hellblade combo anyway

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I've been playing this for while but I'm not sure about some of the subtler mechanics. Does a subjob provide any benefit beside the ability to use that jobs abilities? Is there any difference between a mastered sub-job vs an unmastered? Does anything change once you can start getting lvl 13-15 jobs?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

If you dual-wield two of the same type of weapon, you benefit from both specialties of your sub-job.

Berserker 12's gives you a 50/50 chance of being able to issue commands while berserk instead of them firing at random.

Combine this with Free for All and you have a highly-tuned killing machine.

Berserker has a passive for that too. :v:

Hmm, my level 12 swordmaster has Multitask as the level 12 skill. 33% chance of a regular attack getting a quick physical follow up.

If i'm reading the berserker passive skill would reduce me to 1hp as well wouldn't it?

Also my berserker level 12 skill is amped strike which performs a powerful physical attack. Not a 50/50 chance of selecting attack while berserk.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Kin posted:

Nope, i didn't know this was a thing. to be honest i've been fairly short of cash generally despite a lot of grinding so i've not even been able to afford most of the weapons/gear from the shops. Is there a guide out there that details these bosses?

Probably, but for quick reference, all but two of them have the same drops as they do steals. I'll go generically by area type:

Grassy area:
Faerie has a dagger, Tree has a spear, Lizard has a sword

Desert area:
Snake has a sword, Horse has armor

Forest area:
Orc drops an axe and steal is a helm, Mushroom has a helm, Spider has a really good dagger

Snow Area:
Witch has a staff, Demon has a really good bow, Worm has universal bait

Red Canyon Area:
Ghost has amazing sword, Cyclops drops ribbon and can steal good accessory, Spirit has good staff

Reminder that thief special ability is a guaranteed steal, and you can start a battle with spearhead on all characters, 4x steal with 3 of them, then 3x steal + flee with the last one for a zero risk 15 chances to steal.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Kin posted:

Hmm, my level 12 swordmaster has Multitask as the level 12 skill. 33% chance of a regular attack getting a quick physical follow up.

If i'm reading the berserker passive skill would reduce me to 1hp as well wouldn't it?

Also my berserker level 12 skill is amped strike which performs a powerful physical attack. Not a 50/50 chance of selecting attack while berserk.

All the classes get a second specialty upon hitting 12, in addition to a skill.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I've been playing this for while but I'm not sure about some of the subtler mechanics. Does a subjob provide any benefit beside the ability to use that jobs abilities? Is there any difference between a mastered sub-job vs an unmastered? Does anything change once you can start getting lvl 13-15 jobs?

So there are certain abilities that will either grant you the specialities of the subjob (Subjob specialization 1 or 2) or the stat weapon proficiencies. Certain jobs as well. For example Swordmaster, with two swords equipped will grant all the specialities of the sub class. (Some weapons can do this too).

Past that, yup, just the abilities are available when you choose a sub job and nothing more. You typically want to do something that compliments the main job attributes and skills.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I had absolutely no idea the world bosses had steals. When I tried to steal from one, it says nothing to steal, or “only droppable items” or some poo poo. :negative:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Rand Brittain posted:

Unless I am mistaken I am in Chapter 6 and have all the growth eggs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Kin posted:

Sorry, talking about the passive specialties, not job abilities.

Also yes, it would, but who cares? That just means your tank tanks for you. :v:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

nullEntityRNG posted:

So there are certain abilities that will either grant you the specialities of the subjob (Subjob specialization 1 or 2) or the stat weapon proficiencies. Certain jobs as well. For example Swordmaster, with two swords equipped will grant all the specialities of the sub class. (Some weapons can do this too).

Past that, yup, just the abilities are available when you choose a sub job and nothing more. You typically want to do something that compliments the main job attributes and skills.

Cool. I was afraid I wasn't quite grasping the mechanics, but I'm only in chapter3 and haven't unlocked the chapter 3 jobs yet so it seems like I don't have the ability to break the game yet. I'm playing on hard mode and getting to the point where common-mobs are huge drag-out fights for now but I'm sure that will change once I get some of the more esoteric skills like sub-job specialty etc. In the mean time I'm just going around with thieves/beastmasters/freelancers and maximizing my JP gains plus stealing weapons etc. from the overworld rare encounters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I played on Hard and Berserker continues to be the king of clearing random trash for the entire game. It doesn't get any better than the combos you already have imo. For random encounters I mean.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think this game has too many jobs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dirk the Average posted:

Reminder that thief special ability is a guaranteed steal, and you can start a battle with spearhead on all characters, 4x steal with 3 of them, then 3x steal + flee with the last one for a zero risk 15 chances to steal.

Some enemies will counter thief skills btw.

...I never encountered the spider in your list either. Are you listing overworld stuff or including things in dungeons?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

...I never encountered the spider in your list either. Are you listing overworld stuff or including things in dungeons?

Overworld only. Spider is top-rightish of the wooded area, I believe.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Northeast of Wiswald there's a peninsula with a spider that you can steal the 3rd best dagger from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Question about one of the Chapter 4 jobs.

Godspeed Strike-wise, is Phantom just a straight upgrade to Thief, then? It has higher physical attack and identical speed.