Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
In Q Into the Storm, the Watkins really come off as deranged weirdos. I know they are, but mainly because they're trying to put on this aloof, mysterious air because it's still 2018 and they aren't burying their connections to Qanon so they don't go to jail since they're both in legal trouble for other things too. I've only seen the first two episodes like most people not in the media and it's very obvious they're very dated.

They also make the Q people look better the same way the one flat Earth docu on Netflix, Behind the Curve, does by not showing all the anti-Semitism in the book the one focus guy is obsessed with or probably talks about all the time. I know the documentarian wanted to interview them but he sacrifices a lot of his objectivity by not depicting these people as being as bad as they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LionYeti posted:

The reviews that I'm reading out there seem to indicate it doesn't get better. https://www.theverge.com/22330129/hbo-qanon-documentary-q-into-the-storm-review

"huge chunks are devoted to Hoback just hanging out with the trio — covering their blow-by-blow interpersonal drama, lobbing softball questions about 8chan’s many controversies, and letting them pontificate about free speech and their favorite hobbies. The series could be hours shorter if it cut supposedly entertaining scenes like Jim Watkins making fart noises with his hands or explaining how to fill a fountain pen.

Into the Storm is seemingly trying to make QAnon’s best-known players look absurd. Taking that outcome for granted, Hoback barely bothers to rebut their statements or offer outside context, a tactic researchers have spent years discouraging. What some viewers might see as crassness or a bad argument, others could easily buy as charming foibles or a rhetorical triumph. And compared with extremism documentaries like Alt-Right: Age of Rage, Into the Storm barely acknowledges that there are forces taking QAnon seriously and trying to counter it — or at least providing support for the people it's hurt."

Oh... that sounds pretty crappy, then. I was hoping the second episode was about the last we’d see of the chan people.

Although I did wonder how this would be stretched out into six episodes. And there’s the answer.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Oh... that sounds pretty crappy, then. I was hoping the second episode was about the last we’d see of the chan people.

Although I did wonder how this would be stretched out into six episodes. And there’s the answer.

Its also hilarious that Dan Olsen in his In Search of a Flat Earth video does in one hour what HBO and Netflix fail to do in about 8.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Watching casuals cover QAnon or Alex Jones when they don't know how to do it is so frustrating. Media Matters is bad enough.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Bannon conspired with the Interenet Research Agency. Cambridge Analytica scraped Facebook, gave the FSB the dox. Sockpuppet armies push qanon, producing waves of true believers. A campaign of stochastic terrorism is also waged across traditional and social media, also employing sockpuppet armies and degrees of collusion - and keeping a stranglehold on the 'overton window.'
The 'bernie-to-MAGA' pipepline was set up, and goes back to Occupy and Stading Rock. Qanon has infiltrated leftist communities, in a deliberate effort to close the horseshoe. It's working.
It's one large op. It's the one that the us intel people are talking about now, where putin set up influence campaigns, and it's the continuation of the one Trump was impeached for (first), where collusion happens between bannon and putin to aid trump's efforts at election.
The polling going in was top-notch. The variance is a measure of how effective this op was at rigging the outcome given the rules and playing field.

Consenstently, all of this has worked in concert to cause maximum human suffering. It's fascist, and it must be called out and stopped. This is a /part/ of what I keep calling 'the international fascist machine.'

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Lots of people have pointed out that a function of the 00's era anti-furry rhetoric was just being able to be homophobic and get away with it. I remember seeing "ironic" calls to round up all furries onto an island and then just drop a bomb on it "and be done with it". Like, hmm, where have I seen that argument before

It's not as prevalent as before, as furries have worked hard to carve out a "quirky but harmless and nice" niche for themselves. But, you still occasionally people shout "kill all furries!" in twitch chat and stuff. You never know if it's just an edgy kid picking on an "easy target," or someone with very strong opinions on the degeneracy of the West.

I remember some Syrian refugees up in Canada were staying at the same hotel that a furry con was happening and the kids loved it.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Lammasu posted:

I remember some Syrian refugees up in Canada were staying at the same hotel that a furry con was happening and the kids loved it.

I defended the furries, dig up the logs :colbert:

e: that yiffy star creeped me out

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lammasu posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xd79j3/syrian-refugees-welcomed-to-canada-with-furry-convention

yeah thats a heart warming story. the costumes are always creative but seem like they would be awful to wear at times. id love to get into comic con cosplay like a cool intricate Admech TechPriest outfit that uses my wheelchair and stuff but i am poor and a handy person.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Uglycat posted:

e: that yiffy star creeped me out

Yeh, can we not do that again.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
wrong thread lol

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
god the questions in the hbo doc are such softballs.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
dont have access to hbomax is it true the docu filmmakers accompanied jim and ron watkins to a child brothel

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

dont have access to hbomax is it true the docu filmmakers accompanied jim and ron watkins to a child brothel

would not be surprised if that happens

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Elias_Maluco posted:

Seriously: the internet taught me to despise furries and it wanst until very recently that I realized the most of them are just queer kids; usually very progressive, and at the very least, harmless

At the other hand, a lot of people who I used to see merciless mocking they revealed themselves as nazis and/or horrible people

I mean the furry community had a serious nazi problem of its own as well. People like to commend them for pushing the Nazis out but not ask how they got there in the first place.

And granted, i don't think they're all nazis. I figure its more of a benign issue of not wanting to be ostracizers to members of their own community, and society at large didnt take nazis as seriously as maybe we should have.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 23, 2021

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Phobophilia posted:

Unless they're out back, behind the barn they keep the pigs in, they haven't gone yet. It wouldn't surprise me because they're paling around with Jim and Ron in a way that seems less than objective.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Yeah that's a frequent problem when respectable journalists do a profile on right wing extremists. Years of institutional momentum and ritualized interview procedure taught them to never call someone a racist to their faces and to always project a calming aura. Then you get the worst people imaginable being allowed to paint themselves in the best light, and it sucks so much.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Apparently the documentary started filming in 2018 as well, and QAnon 2 and a half years ago was very different from QAnon now. Which is why it seems to treat it as hokey.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I don’t like the trend of taking something that would be a great single part documentary and stretching it to a 10 episode miniseries.

The Jinx/Tiger King/Making a Murderer...etc.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Jinx was good but could've just been the 2 minutes at the end of the last episode.

OK BYE-BYE

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

LionYeti posted:

Its also hilarious that Dan Olsen in his In Search of a Flat Earth video does in one hour what HBO and Netflix fail to do in about 8.

:agreed:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
On one side 8kun is a haven for mass shooters, qanon nut jobs and all other kinds of poo poo. On the other side the creators are just so gosh dang fun to hang out with. (Into the storm in a nutshell)

Wheres Documentary Now! when you need it?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

I don’t like the trend of taking something that would be a great single part documentary and stretching it to a 10 episode miniseries.

The Jinx/Tiger King/Making a Murderer...etc.

https://twitter.com/robmulholland/status/1369257271860035584

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Also if your documentary mentions somethingawful.com multiple times it's probably too long

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

They didn't even touch the mid-west commune situation. Shameful.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Despera posted:

Also if your documentary mentions somethingawful.com multiple times it's probably too long

They didn't even mention why moot left. Which seems quite relevant.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

If New York actually ends up trying to extradite Trump for trial I can't wait to see the QAnon reaction.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Right now qanon thinks the boulder shooter was going after MAGA. The problem though is boulder is one of the most liberal places in the United State

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Watching the Q doc on HBO: Ron Watkins speaks with the same cadence and tone as Jared Leto's character in Blade Runner 2049 it's weird.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Ashmole posted:

Watching the Q doc on HBO: Ron Watkins speaks with the same cadence and tone as Jared Leto's character in Blade Runner 2049 it's weird.

That's on HBO Max. I should watch it. As soon as I get up the nerve to watch the Snyder cut.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Elias_Maluco posted:

Seriously: the internet taught me to despise furries and it wanst until very recently that I realized the most of them are just queer kids; usually very progressive, and at the very least, harmless

At the other hand, a lot of people who I used to see merciless mocking they revealed themselves as nazis and/or horrible people

So are we gonna yiff or what

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

bird with big dick posted:

So are we gonna yiff or what

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Despera posted:

Right now qanon thinks the boulder shooter was going after MAGA. The problem though is boulder is one of the most liberal places in the United State

How is that a problem for them? It's not like facts have any bearing on what they believe.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Despera posted:

I've shopped in that King Soopers. It's like 2 blocks from my high school :/

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
I honestly think the mass shootings are (in part) a result of a deliberate campaign of stochastic terrorism, and that the same sockpuppet armies signal-boosting qanon are also working to gaslight and traumatizing a sizeable group of targeted individuals into being convinced they are targeted individuals and into behaving antisocially and mistrusting everyone and isolating and radicalizing in any-which-way. Like, wanna place wagers on this boulder shooter believing he's been 'gangstalked'?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
IMO the mass shootings are mostly the effect of the complete dehumanization and vilification of a nebulous 'other' by media.

If you believe that liberals eat babies and that their illegitimate president is moments from inviting communist china in to arrest and eradicate 'patriotic' americans then the only real outlet is to go kill randoms.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Uglycat posted:

I honestly think the mass shootings are (in part) a result of a deliberate campaign of stochastic terrorism, and that the same sockpuppet armies signal-boosting qanon are also working to gaslight and traumatizing a sizeable group of targeted individuals into being convinced they are targeted individuals and into behaving antisocially and mistrusting everyone and isolating and radicalizing in any-which-way. Like, wanna place wagers on this boulder shooter believing he's been 'gangstalked'?

Yea this is pretty much Alex Jones' stock-in-trade. Energizing susceptible people is how he sells food buckets and when one of these tragedies inevitably occurs he re-doubles the message: you need these supplements and food buckets for your armored redoubt. They moan about the "Hegelian Dialectic" when it is precisely what they are doing.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Uglycat posted:

Here's the thing: it doesn't matter what the murderer believed. It absolutely doesn't matter because nothing is a justification for murdering your neighbors.

I don't need to know why he did it. I need to know why someone with CLEAR broken brains had such easy access to murder machines.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Here's the thing: it doesn't matter what the murderer believed. It absolutely doesn't matter because nothing is a justification for murdering your neighbors.

I don't need to know why he did it. I need to know why someone with CLEAR broken brains had such easy access to murder machines.

Do you need to know that there's a deliberate fascist plost to foster and encourage the conditions under which this happens with increasingly greater frequency? And that qanon - is just one part of that larger op?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

edit: moved to next page

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Uglycat posted:

Do you need to know that there's a deliberate fascist plost to foster and encourage the conditions under which this happens with increasingly greater frequency? And that qanon - is just one part of that larger op?

Not really, since the problem is mostly easy access to firearms.