Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

it dont matter posted:

Does this also apply if the GPU is plugged into a display, but the screen isn't on? I have a media server PC that's plugged into my TV, but I rarely use it through the TV directly: it's either streaming from Plex via a Shield, or I'm connected via remote desktop.

Sometimes when I reboot the server I can't see anything on the remote connection until I switch the TV on and swap input to the PC. Would using a dummy plug stop that behaviour? Because it's prevented me from getting on the server when I'm not at home to switch on the TV.

It would potentially fix the no remote-desktop screen problem. The answer to your other question is more nebulous because it depends on what part of the GPU the application is using to transcode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Fauxtool posted:

i wouldnt count on it. There was a shortage before the several of the fabs got taken offline. Supply wont have gotten better by then and demand will only have gone up

Should I abandon my dream of a 3080ti coming out anytime soon? Would it make sense for Nvidia to even release one in the near future given everything is selling instantly regardless of sku?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bloopsy posted:

Should I abandon my dream of a 3080ti coming out anytime soon? Would it make sense for Nvidia to even release one in the near future given everything is selling instantly regardless of sku?

It seems like we might actually see a paper launch within 2-3 months, but that doesn't mean actual units in shops.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its definitely coming out, shortages or not. You might not ever get one.
Releasing new products is how you maintain out of control sales and demand.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 23, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I mean it doesn't make sense for them to really release anything new while material supply is low, doesn't mean they're not going to. Then even if they do the odds of it being widely available are tiny. They're definitely planning one since I think the 3080Ti was the card already announced then pushed back to get more 3060 stock out.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

njsykora posted:

I mean it doesn't make sense for them to really release anything new while material supply is low, doesn't mean they're not going to. Then even if they do the odds of it being widely available are tiny. They're definitely planning one since I think the 3080Ti was the card already announced then pushed back to get more 3060 stock out.

I was originally also of this mind, but I've changed my stance: it makes complete sense to drop a 3080Ti in the near future if Samsung's yields are up to snuff. Rumors have been floating about for some time that the yields are quite good, to the point that they've (reportedly) been pushing more 3090's than 3080's because they have the chips to do so.

So instead of taking a GA102 that has, say 74-76 functional SMs and dropping it down to a 3080 (68 SMs) that they sell to AIBs for $300 or whatever, they instead sell it as a 74 SM 3080Ti for $400. More profit to NVidia for the same chip = galaxy brain win for them, since they're not getting a dime of the scalping profits that everyone else down the line has been.

(this of course assumes they stick with the GA102. If they release a respun chip for it, then it makes a lot less sense)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

There are upcoming leaks of the 2080 Ti but who knows when it'll be available. The bean counters are saying the supply shortages won't be resolved until later this year.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

There are upcoming leaks of the 2080 Ti but who knows when it'll be available. The bean counters are saying the supply shortages won't be resolved until later this year.

re-releasing the 2080ti would probably sell

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

MarcusSA posted:

I’ll believe it when I see it. These switch rumors have been going since the drat thing launched.

Understandable, but when Mochizuki starts talking about it, things get more solid.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
honestly what wouldn't if it was re-released

you could probably put out Radeon VIIs again and still sell through them as fast as they could be made

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

gradenko_2000 posted:

honestly what wouldn't if it was re-released

700 series and below? maybe?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CoolCab posted:

700 series and below? maybe?

700 series are still DirectX 12 compatible and are still included in NVidia driver updates. The 750Ti specifically is one of the most powerful cards in the single-slot-only and/or no external power connected needed niche

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I was offered 20€ for my HD6950. Sadly I recycled it 3 months earlier.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fauxtool posted:

re-releasing the 2080ti would probably sell

Durp,

I meant the 3080 Ti :smith:

[url=https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-to-feature-ga102-225-gpu-rtx-3070-ti-gets-ga104-400[/url]NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti[/url]

Personally, I really really want to pick one of these up but the lack of affordable 32" 144hz 4k monitors is holding me back.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

700 series are still DirectX 12 compatible

Kinda but with a big caveat, Kepler only supports DX12 at feature level 11_0 so engines have to go out of their way to gracefully handle the limitations that come with that

I wouldn't be surprised if most DX12 engines are just treating FL 11_1 (GCN1) or 12_0 (GCN2/Maxwell2) as min spec since that covers pretty much all relevant hardware

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 23, 2021

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Man hunting for my RTX 3000 video card for 6 months is making me thankful that the wait list for my new headphones and Dac amp is only a month.

Is....is this what I have been reduced to?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Bloopsy posted:

I doubt nVidia are intel lazy enough to let amd get the drop on them with a new card line, if they thought that amd were able to actually fulfil actual orders. :shrug:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I cannot fathom why in the gently caress HDMI-CEC is not included as a feature in graphics cards in the year 2021, and it has me more than slightly miffed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I cannot fathom why in the gently caress HDMI-CEC is not included as a feature in graphics cards in the year 2021, and it has me more than slightly miffed.
It's weird, isn't it? Intel has a passthrough header that you can attach a third party CEC adapter to on certain NUC models but that's the closest to official support on any PC platform I'm aware of while it's near universal on ARM platforms.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Anyone here in the Ohio area near the Mayfield Heights Microcenter (or maybe near a Microcenter with less traffic)? Guy on a reddit thread saying it was a lot easier to get GPU drops there, wondering if that's still the case

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Fauxtool posted:

i wouldnt count on it. There was a shortage before the several of the fabs got taken offline. Supply wont have gotten better by then and demand will only have gone up

Well if there's permanently increased demand they will increase production, they just don't want to do it for possibly temporary increases since they got burned by the last mining boom.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

Well if there's permanently increased demand they will increase production, they just don't want to do it for possibly temporary increases since they got burned by the last mining boom.

Due to the way silicon manufacturing works increased production would be for the next generation at the earliest.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

MaxxBot posted:

not just the mining demand either - the conditions of the last year are understood as temporary (although how temporary is still very much in debate) and as such eventually it's assumed we will start spending money on buses, restaurants and shoes again. these market conditions can't last.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

wolrah posted:

It's weird, isn't it? Intel has a passthrough header that you can attach a third party CEC adapter to on certain NUC models but that's the closest to official support on any PC platform I'm aware of while it's near universal on ARM platforms.
It's just so loving dumb; nvidia GPUs don't support it, but the nvidia tegra does.

I used to wish that my NUC had that header, but on the other hand I'm glad I got the USB version instead now, as I'm hoping to be able to move my HTPC onto the same server as I've put everything else on.
Assuming, of course, I can find a single-slot GPU which will offload h265 and other new codecs, while running off PCI-ex power (ie. limited to 75W).

Does every GPU made today have to be the biggest that it can be? I was kinda hoping that was what the Intel DG1 could do, since in theory that'd be perfect, but apparently that's pretty much never going to happen.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Alan Smithee posted:

Anyone here in the Ohio area near the Mayfield Heights Microcenter (or maybe near a Microcenter with less traffic)? Guy on a reddit thread saying it was a lot easier to get GPU drops there, wondering if that's still the case

I got my 3070 from there just by walking in around 2 PM on launch day, but more recently a few of my friends have done the "line up in the morning" thing multiple times and come out empty handed.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LTT's VerifiedActualGamer is up, GPUs are still available as of the original time of posting.

I went for the 3080 and the 3090.
The 3080 is still validating the quiz results and 3090 let me buy after about 20s of waiting.
Gotta say, the quiz was a good touch. If you had to look up the answers then you probably would not be able to complete it in time. The KOTOR one was the toughest for me. I picked turn based because i remember pausing in combat, but I think I had it confused for Mass Effect which I would consider real time with pausing.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 23, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Fauxtool posted:

LTT's VerifiedActualGamer is up, GPUs are still available as of the original time of posting.

The 3080 is still validating the quiz results and 3090 let me buy after about 20s of waiting.
Gotta say, the quiz was a good touch. If you had to look up the answers then you probably would not be able to complete it in time. The KOTOR one was the toughest for me. I picked turn based because i remember pausing in combat, but I think I had it confused for Mass Effect which I would consider real time with pausing.

I tried with the 3070 and am stuck on a quiz validation page, I think the stock is all gone

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Yup, they're gone

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

CoolCab posted:

not just the mining demand either - the conditions of the last year are understood as temporary (although how temporary is still very much in debate) and as such eventually it's assumed we will start spending money on buses, restaurants and shoes again. these market conditions can't last.

The pandemic was a total divide of haves/have nots and almost anyone on the "have" side made out quite well. i just dont think these parts are that expensive, they're generally one time purchases rather than "hobbies" that constantly suck money.

I personally think we are in a new era of popularity for GPUs (and not just because of mining) and expect demand to remain pretty robust for the next year+ people who socked away money for this and haven't gotten one, or who started saving in Nov and have gotten 2 stimulus checks...

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the character in "Donkey Kong" was retconed into being mario after the fact, he was listed as "jumpman" originally. i disagree with their heuristic there mario's first appearance is as such mario bros. i mean i wasn't gonna buy one either way but still.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

change my name posted:

I tried with the 3070 and am stuck on a quiz validation page, I think the stock is all gone

A lot more people missed out than got in and thats a bummer, but I do think the way he did it was pretty good. The subject matter of the video meant that the right audience was going to be exposed to inventory before anyone else. The quiz wasnt hard but it was a little dated. I dont think younger gamers had a chance, but if they put minecraft or fortnite stuff it in I would have been lost.

CoolCab posted:

the character in "Donkey Kong" was retconed into being mario after the fact, he was listed as "jumpman" originally. i disagree with their heuristic there mario's first appearance is as such mario bros. i mean i wasn't gonna buy one either way but still.

Same, i put in donkey kong because I knew it was the "right" answer but not the correct one. The hearts seemed to indicate you could get 3-4 wrong and still pass. I wonder if they put some sort of priority in place for people based on % correct? Of course not, but interesting to think about.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 23, 2021

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Linus when are you going to make a GPU giveaway quiz for stupid weebs, come on let's go

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nomyth posted:

Linus when are you going to make a GPU giveaway quiz for stupid weebs, come on let's go

same, you just know those questions are going to be the worst.
"Who is Goku's dad"?
Roshi, Gohan, Bardock, or Vegeta

Bardock being the "correct" answer but its really Grandpa Gohan if you were paying attention.

The prizes are of course all waifu GPUs

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

lol that they didn't limit their 4 real gamers to 1 gpu per address

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inept posted:

lol that they didn't limit their 4 real gamers to 1 gpu per address

i only got the 3090. The 3080 and 3070 were apparently ungettable for most which is what I assumed.
I went for the 3080 first and i saw that the quiz was hanging so I opened a new tab and did the quiz for the 3090 which did complete. I never had a chance on the 3080 considering that I watched the video in full 15m after it debuted and did not skip to the end.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 23, 2021

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Fauxtool posted:

A lot more people missed out than got in and thats a bummer, but I do think the way he did it was pretty good. The subject matter of the video meant that the right audience was going to be exposed to inventory before anyone else. The quiz wasnt hard but it was a little dated. I dont think younger gamers had a chance, but if they put minecraft or fortnite stuff it in I would have been lost.

Same, i put in donkey kong because I knew it was the "right" answer but not the correct one. The hearts seemed to indicate you could get 3-4 wrong and still pass. I wonder if they put some sort of priority in place for people based on % correct? Of course not, but interesting to think about.

I went and looked at the LTT forums and someone there didn't know what the Konami Code is.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also, edited from my whining, it turns out "select start" is not in fact the end of the konami code, touche linus tech tips

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OhFunny posted:

I went and looked at the LTT forums and someone there didn't know what the Konami Code is.

verified fake gamer alert. TBH I put in lttstore.com/3080ab before realizing my mistake.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Tom's Hardware updated GPU resales on ebay from last week (3/11 - 3/17). Median prices rose from the prior week, except for the 3080 and the 6900XT. 20xx and 10xx cards still raking in high prices in the resell market as well.

Ampere
    RTX 3090
    Median price: $2872 --> $2964

RTX 3080
    Median price: $2199 --> $2167

RTX 3070
    Median price: $1200 --> $1249

RTX 3060ti
    Median price: $1175 --> $1230

RTX 3060
    Median price: $775 --> $818

RDNA2
    6900XT
    Median price: $1852 --> $1815

6800XT
    Median price: $1499 --> $1544

Median price: $1295 --> $1300

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-pricing-index

mA fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
every week you post those i try to work out the price differential between 3060ti and 3070 and lol

fairly confident in saying there's more than 2% performance difference between the two