Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Are there any mods that allow customizing the day/night cycle lengths? And weather?

Just for laughs, my masochistic side really wants to try a Valheim playthrough where there is no day and the weather is an eternal storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I came across some rocks in a oval/boat shape in some meadows, is there anything to this or is it just a random neat thing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, it's something. Come back when you have a wishbone.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

xzzy posted:

Nah just dig the whole thing up now. Thar's gold (somewhere) in them hills.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ambaire posted:

Are there any mods that allow customizing the day/night cycle lengths? And weather?

Just for laughs, my masochistic side really wants to try a Valheim playthrough where there is no day and the weather is an eternal storm.

You can do this with some SkToolbox commands. Might need to autorun them on each session.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Killed bonemass. Would not recommend soloing. Gonna head to the mountains next. I still have chests with stacks of iron scrap inside crypts waiting to be hauled but I'm not sure I really want fully upgraded iron gear, won't I be using iron for a bunch of other stuff later? Also I really wouldn't want to have no iron if I was unable to retrieve my corpse again.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Sanctum posted:

won't I be using iron for a bunch of other stuff later?

The highest value armor set uses iron, as does the strongest support beams for construction.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
It’s kinda mind boggling that they chose the swamps, the most tedious to farm region, to be the home of the big throwback ore that you end up needing all game long (at least as currently implemented).

The mountains are such a cool, atmospheric biome that is totally underused. Sprinting and jumping straight up literal cliff faces in the middle of a blizzard is one of the most badass things you do in this game, but I guess I’m going to have to clear out yet another crypt while I get mobbed by a bunch of dragur and skeletons that do zero damage to me.

For me, this point in the game is definitely where the reality of “drat this game is still early access as hell” kicked in. As great as the whole experience is, this is one of the prime things that leads to the feeling of “I don’t think this is poorly designed, it just screams that there is missing content that is supposed to make this not as tedious as it currently is”

xzzy posted:

Definitely don’t do this, because by the time you have a wishbone you definitely don’t need some coins and bone fragments. This is another area that screams early access - why am I still getting coins from goblins after clearing swamps for the last 20 hours? By this point the trader is obsolete, so it’s weird that they chose to put what is functionally a dead item on “late game” content

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 23, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The mountains seem very pretty. I am currently exploring them just for fun even though I shouldn't be yet. I have yet to find an inch of swamp on this map so I obviously have no access to iron. I expect when I do find one it won't have any crypts. But I've been having fun fighting wolve and I'm hoping to see one of those golem things soon and see if I can take it out or get it to mine some obsidian for me, since silver is off the table.

Been thinking I might build my portal nexus up here too since the idea of it being a freezing otherworldly place entertains me.

Maybe I'll head to the plains next if I can't find a swamp soon, see if I can craft literally anything from what I get there.

I honestly feeling like progression in this game is gated a bit too strongly. For such an open world game its incredibly weird that you can't seem to sequence break a single tech, with inly Chitin being outside the regular progression.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

causticBeet posted:

Definitely don’t do this, because by the time you have a wishbone you definitely don’t need some coins and bone fragments. This is another area that screams early access - why am I still getting coins from goblins after clearing swamps for the last 20 hours? By this point the trader is obsolete, so it’s weird that they chose to put what is functionally a dead item on “late game” content

The trader will almost definitely have an expanded inventory, and more equipment will probably use Ymir flesh.

In the near future, it would be nice for the trader to have some goldsink stuff, like stacks of finewood and surtling cores.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

GlyphGryph posted:

I honestly feeling like progression in this game is gated a bit too strongly. For such an open world game its incredibly weird that you can't seem to sequence break a single tech, with inly Chitin being outside the regular progression.

Agreed. It really annoyed me to find out that the artisan table is locked behind killing the 4th boss. Which itself locks away several different techs. Every new biome has a resource locked behind killing the last boss and it gets annoying when you feel like you could just skip it if they didn't force you. The first 2 bosses feel organic because you don't really feel the need to skip ahead of them. But the mountains feel like you should be able to skip the swamp and the plains definitely feel like you should be able to skip the mountains. It feels like the early bosses were meant to kinda tutorial gate you and then they just kept doing it past where it made sense.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The fact that the final armor tier is iron feels a lot like somebody misspelled black metal and just ran with it tbh

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Black metal only being used for weapons is pretty wack. Kill 20 Fulings then back to the swamp with ya

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Leal posted:

Black metal only being used for weapons is pretty wack.

Right? Hearth and Home better throw in some goblinite structures I can burn this poo poo on. Why can't I make stronger gates or window bars or iron spikes to mount trophies on?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well it's EA. I'm pretty sure iron veins will show up in Plains or Mountains eventually.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It would also be cool to be able to dig deep into the mountains and create a dwarf fortress/viking hybrid. Though how you could vent smoke might be an interesting challenge

Woden
May 6, 2006

Glass of Milk posted:

It would also be cool to be able to dig deep into the mountains and create a dwarf fortress/viking hybrid. Though how you could vent smoke might be an interesting challenge

The mountains really needs caves or something to explore. Plains has villages and all the other biomes have tombs and stuff but the mountain is pretty barren.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
This delay on hammer etc is trash in the new patch. Also they made the console launch parameter only and now the steam forums are filled with posts "WHERE CONSOLE!?!" despite it being listed in the patch notes and how to enable it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I hate fulings so much. I built my giant farm in the plains and added a dock far, far out in the ocean. I can sit in my raised house in the middle of my farm and watch fulings swim all the way out to the end of my dock and throw spears at my boat. I took a bunch of stone and raised the ocean floor around my boat to deter them. Now the only way in is through my farm...which fulings don't have a problem with because they'll spawn right in the middle of my farm! I've tried every method to stop them from spawning. The only method that 100% works, is cultivating or levelling all the land at your base, and a little extra around the outside of the perimeter fence. If there is even a scrap of the biome's grass, an enemy will spawn there.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

FrickenMoron posted:

This delay on hammer etc is trash in the new patch. Also they made the console launch parameter only and now the steam forums are filled with posts "WHERE CONSOLE!?!" despite it being listed in the patch notes and how to enable it.

Which I think is a stupid rear end decision. The console has some legit non-'cheat' uses.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's a really weird decision, literally nobody is benefiting from it. That said I do love the bigger inventory for the iron chests now, they're really worth it. (24 slots vs 10 on a regular chest)

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Best ramen place in Valheim.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What's this hammer delay the patch notes mention?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hopefully it means it does one thing and then stops for a moment so I stop accidentally destroying multiple objects in a line accidentally.

The major nerf to the harpoon is a bit odd. Was it really that OP?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ravenfood posted:

What's this hammer delay the patch notes mention?

Theres about a 550ms delay on all tools now before they can be used again. For the hammer this includes, building, demolition and repair.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I need more stories. What is the most harrowing thing you've lived through? Tell me about the time trolls destroyed your base. I really love all the stories you get from playing the game.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Killstick posted:

Best ramen place in Valheim.

you can craft bowls?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Bioshuffle posted:

I need more stories. What is the most harrowing thing you've lived through? Tell me about the time trolls destroyed your base. I really love all the stories you get from playing the game.

Not my story but a stream I watched.

Streamer was using a raft to explore a nearby island. On the way back he got attacked by a serpent which destroyed the raft, he made it back to the island (not the mainland). So now he was stuck on the island without the materials for a new raft, missing some leather scraps. He explores the entire island (which was very small, with a big mountain peak in the middle). It had plenty of black forest, a small swamp and the Mountain, nothing else. So no boars were available and he didnt have the swamp key. He explored everything on the island, often almost dying before eventually finding a troll cave. The troll inside died and was guarding a chest with some leather scraps! A new raft was built, the serpent carefully avoided and he made it home back safely, took about 2 hours.

Being stranded on an Island is an interesting prospect in the game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I had something similar to the island thing, except instead of it being an island it only LOOKED like an island. I posted about it in the thread before, but here it is again, slightly improved:

quote:

Me and a friend are riding our rafts through the night, returning from defeating the first boss for the first time (although I summoned three of them to make it a bit more spicey). A storm sweeps in, it starts raining and gets dark, and we sail on through the night racing each other back home.

Suddenly, something moves up ahead in the water...

"Did you see that?" "I didn't see anything... no wait, what IS that!?" "Something is..."

Suddenly, the water broke, and next to her raft a huge serpent reared out before roaring at her.

We move as fast as we can through the storm, and the creature is right on our tail, periodically visible cutting through the dark water. It attacks the raft behind me, damaging it as my friend struggles to maintain control.

Suddenly, we see it. Just up ahead, the silhouette of an island. We're too far to make it to our base, but we can maybe save ourselves and rebuild and make it home in the morning. I get to the island first and jump off my raft onto the island. Land! Safety! I feel an immense sense of relief. But my friend has lagged behind, so we're not in the clear yet, and there's only a few small trees on the island - we'll need to keep at least one raft whole if we want to be able to leave.

So I try to build a crafting table, but something is strange. It's not letting me place it anywhere. As I get increasingly more desperate, my friend reaches the island, and she's having trouble getting onto it. She falls into the water, and the serpent approaches. I am panicked, struggling to build some stairs to get them up, but I can't. I pull out my bow and shoot arrows until I run out, but the serpent kills her and destroys both rafts before swimming away.

I wonder what the hell I'm going to do, and so decide to explore my new little island home. There are some small trees, some... barnacles? Huh. With the new pick I got from defeating the boss, I decide to try giving them a couple hits. Maybe they have something useful?

As I do, the island starts to shake, and it sinks in. THIS ISN'T AN ISLAND, IT'S ANOTHER CREATURE. I panic a bit, looking around, and finish breaking the first barnacle, getting some chitin, but I'm unwilling to do anymore. Then the island shakes again. And shakes again. Its shaking more and more frequently, and even as the sky clears and the storm fades away, my worst fears come true. It starts to sink below the waves.

Anyway so now I'm carrying all our new supplies and treading water in the middle of the ocean waiting to be rescued and hoping the sea serpent doesn't return. My friend dies several times trying to get back home a different way that combines overland travel and swimming, manages to build another raft, and eventually comes out to save me (and loot her own floating grave). I finally return home, triumphant. But man, what an experience.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 23, 2021

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

New patch day! I'm glad to see they're polishing up some early biome stuff instead of just cranking on through endgame content. Makes me feel like they're shoring up the foundations before building up.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i'm curious about some of these network improvements. seems to be the same as hacking your client/server to improve the down speed?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Did everyone's mods break after the patch? I'm afraid that everything in my extra inventory rows will be gone the next time I open the game.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

punishedkissinger posted:

i'm curious about some of these network improvements. seems to be the same as hacking your client/server to improve the down speed?

I removed my servers modded data-rate-modifier file just to be safe. I logged in, and my large main base (15,000 instances) loaded within 1-2 seconds instead of taking 5-10 to load in chunks like I've been used to. Didn't spend too much time there (currently at work) but I was happy that things updated automatically and didn't break anything.

One of my local mods however is broken - I've only got about 5 or 6, but the game refused to connect with all of them so I copied them out of the plugins folder and restarted, and the world loaded. Will have to do some testing when I get home to figure out which one broke it.

Lakitu7 posted:

Did everyone's mods break after the patch? I'm afraid that everything in my extra inventory rows will be gone the next time I open the game.

This is the only one I tested: my Extra Inventory mod worked fine!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Seems one of the unlisted fixes is that regular beds aren't overwriting the additional comfort value of dragon beds any more. Anyone else confirm this?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Scruffpuff posted:

Seems one of the unlisted fixes is that regular beds aren't overwriting the additional comfort value of dragon beds any more. Anyone else confirm this?

I think they listed "Comfort value calculation fixes", so this is probably under that umbrella. I think there were a bunch of comfort issues, we've seen wonkiness where two people in the exact same spot have comfort levels 1 off from each other.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

Yep, stools aren't either, I logged in and my comfort in my bedroom was higher in our keep, which has a lot of overlap of furniture.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

toadee posted:

I think they listed "Comfort value calculation fixes", so this is probably under that umbrella. I think there were a bunch of comfort issues, we've seen wonkiness where two people in the exact same spot have comfort levels 1 off from each other.

Yeah I see it now. Cool!

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

There was a tiny guardpost outside where we placed down our base that was a pre-existing structure that I fixed. Unfortunately in trying to make our base more resistant to invasions, the troll went and targeted the tiny pre-existing tower since it could path easily to it since it was outside the moat :smith:

Also what do you folks do with the runestones near your base? Any decoration ideas?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

C-SPAN Caller posted:

There was a tiny guardpost outside where we placed down our base that was a pre-existing structure that I fixed. Unfortunately in trying to make our base more resistant to invasions, the troll went and targeted the tiny pre-existing tower since it could path easily to it since it was outside the moat :smith:

Also what do you folks do with the runestones near your base? Any decoration ideas?

You can't actually build near the runestones, since there's a magical field there that prevents it. That said, I'm planning on just keeping them in the rough center of the town-ish thing I'm hoping to lay out there. Boathouse/pier with berths for a few longships and karves, a teleportation circle built up as a temple-looking thing, a greathouse, and set of workshop buildings. Little farm. Just make it clear that it's very much the center of the place, since you can't decorate with it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

FrickenMoron posted:

Not my story but a stream I watched.

Streamer was using a raft to explore a nearby island. On the way back he got attacked by a serpent which destroyed the raft, he made it back to the island (not the mainland). So now he was stuck on the island without the materials for a new raft, missing some leather scraps. He explores the entire island (which was very small, with a big mountain peak in the middle). It had plenty of black forest, a small swamp and the Mountain, nothing else. So no boars were available and he didnt have the swamp key. He explored everything on the island, often almost dying before eventually finding a troll cave. The troll inside died and was guarding a chest with some leather scraps! A new raft was built, the serpent carefully avoided and he made it home back safely, took about 2 hours.

Being stranded on an Island is an interesting prospect in the game.

The prospect of dying in a place where body retrieval is impossible is one that gets to me. Earlier today, I was navigating a river when I got beached while surrounded by plains on both sides. A mob of goblins started to swarm me and I thought I was dead. Somehow managed to lay down a workbench, repair, and push ny ship to safety.

Have any of you had to straight up abandon your body with all your gear in it?