Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Well obviously you should wipe with napkins, as any TRUE NIHONJIN would know.

IIRC the toilet paper ghost will also kill you if you don't accept toilet paper too.

Or maybe it was if you pick something that isn't red or blue.

Someone else here has to know what I'm talking about yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

:mad: I never lie. I speak truths of dubious provenance, but I don't lie.

drat, this checks out

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

FirstAidKite posted:

Someone else here has to know what I'm talking about yeah?
Kidding aside, I am familiar with the Aka Manto urban legend. It's just not something you just can't laugh at.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

FirstAidKite posted:

At least it isn't the japanese toilet paper ghost that is like "what toilet paper do you want, red paper or blue paper" and then it just kills you instead of giving you toilet paper

If you try to be clever and ask for a different colored paper it just shoves your head in the toilet. I think the only way to defeat it is to pretend you're not there.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the toilet ghost tried to get me but it banished itself from this plane when it smelled what i was cookin

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FirstAidKite posted:

At least it isn't the japanese toilet paper ghost that is like "what toilet paper do you want, red paper or blue paper" and then it just kills you instead of giving you toilet paper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7K72ujXbuQ

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
Has anyone posted this yet?
https://twitter.com/DoesItPlay1/status/1374034203826909196
Better replace that cmos battery now if you want to keep playing in the future.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

MGS3 is good but jesus christ I forgot how unbelievably horny kojima was

no, i will not press the R1 button during this cutscene because i know what you're going to do with it and i'm not on board buddy

That part is actually good because the first few times you get that prompt Snake is ogling her but the last time you get the prompt, right before the Eve and Snake go to fight Volgin together, he's lookin her in the eye.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a clever goddamn "I don't respect you just as eye-candy, I respect you as someone who can kill a goddamn Russian lightning wizard" subversion... but the rest of the time, it kinda is creepy ogling for eye-candy.

Is it weird that I respect Big Boss more than I respect Kojima? Say what you want, but Big Boss lives up to his hype.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Worklurker posted:

Has anyone posted this yet?
https://twitter.com/DoesItPlay1/status/1374034203826909196
Better replace that cmos battery now if you want to keep playing in the future.

What's a cmos battery and a kernel clock stat and why do I need those to keep playing my PS3 games?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
its like how old gameboy pokemon games with day/night cycle that gently caress up when the internal battery dies... but for your whole console. if u look inside your pc you can probably see what looks like a flat watch batter, bout the size of a quarter. thats one of the thingies

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

What's a cmos battery and a kernel clock stat and why do I need those to keep playing my PS3 games?

That tweet sounds very alarmist to me, and a lack of understanding of how the PS3 hardware actually works. There is a bunch of claims in there that are just vaguely mentioned with no evidence or link to sources that show that they are correct. But anywho with that said, the claim is that the CMOS battery is necessary for your PS3 to authenticate with the PSN server, the thought process goes that if the PSN store is shut down, then you cannot authenticate anymore therefore you are locked out of all of your digitally purchased games.

We still do not know that PSN for PS3 is being closed. This is not at all official just yet. We also do not know the extent of the closure and exactly what online features are going away. Is it just access to the store? What if it's just access to the PSN website for PS3? Sony hasn't said anything yet. Maybe it's not actually happening at all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a clever goddamn "I don't respect you just as eye-candy, I respect you as someone who can kill a goddamn Russian lightning wizard" subversion... but the rest of the time, it kinda is creepy ogling for eye-candy.

Is it weird that I respect Big Boss more than I respect Kojima? Say what you want, but Big Boss lives up to his hype.

It's not a subversion, it's relationship development. That's the whole thing about Snake and Eva. Remember that right off the bat Eva unzips her jumpsuit to distract Snake from the fact that she's not the contact. She doesn't know the code phrase. And it works, Snake is staring at her tits when she introduces herself. When Snake questions her, she flirts with him. That's the tone Eva sets for their relationship. But over time as they work together, their relationship changes. Eva and Snake come to respect and genuinely care for each other. The flirtation becomes genuine affection. The opportunities to see her from Snakes' point of view just reflects that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Khanstant posted:

its like how old gameboy pokemon games with day/night cycle that gently caress up when the internal battery dies... but for your whole console. if u look inside your pc you can probably see what looks like a flat watch batter, bout the size of a quarter. thats one of the thingies

I said come in! posted:

That tweet sounds very alarmist to me, and a lack of understanding of how the PS3 hardware actually works. There is a bunch of claims in there that are just vaguely mentioned with no evidence or link to sources that show that they are correct. But anywho with that said, the claim is that the CMOS battery is necessary for your PS3 to authenticate with the PSN server, the thought process goes that if the PSN store is shut down, then you cannot authenticate anymore therefore you are locked out of all of your digitally purchased games.

We still do not know that PSN for PS3 is being closed. This is not at all official just yet. We also do not know the extent of the closure and exactly what online features are going away. Is it just access to the store? What if it's just access to the PSN website for PS3? Sony hasn't said anything yet. Maybe it's not actually happening at all.

Thanks you two, got a better understanding of it now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gripweed posted:

It's not a subversion, it's relationship development. That's the whole thing about Snake and Eva. Remember that right off the bat Eva unzips her jumpsuit to distract Snake from the fact that she's not the contact. She doesn't know the code phrase. And it works, Snake is staring at her tits when she introduces herself. When Snake questions her, she flirts with him. That's the tone Eva sets for their relationship. But over time as they work together, their relationship changes. Eva and Snake come to respect and genuinely care for each other. The flirtation becomes genuine affection. The opportunities to see her from Snakes' point of view just reflects that.
Fair enough, I won't debate you there. Maybe I was thinking too much in terms of Bond Girls, where expressing any form of genuine affection IS a subversion because Bond just does not do that.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Today's discussion point:

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Sekiro is punch out with a katana.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No bicycle. :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if Sekiro is sword punch out, then that means a speedrunner should be able to beat it blindfolded

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Is there an Iron Mike equivalent in Sekiro

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The cycle of platforms is that a new one comes along, is pretty good, people migrate to it, then as soon as enough people are hooked that it'd be super annoying to switch off, they start stealing your data. Repeat ad infinitum

This. Discord was very fast to get people to adopt it because it was quick/easy to sign up for and it works in a browser (and mobile with voice chat). The community has been good at creating the "free" infrastructure that you see in a lot of channels - bot scripts and automation, which helps make life even easier for users.

It's become such an integral part of how many smaller indie companies foster fan communities, moreso Twitter and Facebook. And since they make no money and their attempts at selling subscriptions and turning Discord into a games storefront failed, of course they're doing something with your data.

Very valuable GAMER BEHAVIOR DATA.

Just lol if it ends up being Facebook. Because of course it's gonna be them. Facebook account linking required in 3, 2, 1...

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 23, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I completely forgot that Discord tried to be a game storefront for like two months

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOTnc4oSrDY

listen to the Legend of Zelda-sounding intro music on this Bass Fishin' SNES game

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Who needs a PS3, when you have AAAmazon games?

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1374379527145594896?s=20

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I feel like, not but a number of weeks ago, Amazon shuttered their game studios. This surely is going to work out this time.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I feel like, not but a number of weeks ago, Amazon shuttered their game studios. This surely is going to work out this time.

that was google/stadia that closed its internal development studio. amazon game studios has merely canceled every one of their major releases to date, such as crucible, an online multiplayer shooter based on a new ip, headed by a bunch of industry vets. it'll definitely work this time though

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

They are still going, they have their first game releasing finally in August, assuming it's not delayed again. New World is a fantasy MMORPG, that has a similar setting to Greedfall. I am actually really looking forward to New World, so that is how you know it's going to bomb.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Khanstant posted:

if Sekiro is sword punch out, then that means a speedrunner should be able to beat it blindfolded

If they had someone to guide them through the game and handed the controller anytime combat was necessary I imagine someone could absolutely do this.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
In case anyone else has this issue:

There's a big bug right now with Samsung phones related to the WebView app that's used for various internet things. It was causing a bunch of my apps to randomly close and pop up the message "App keeps crashing". The Awful app, Google and Audible were the ones that kept crashing for me

Just uninstall the updates to WebView and it'll stop. Was driving me crazy last night, I thought my phone was dying

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Amazon dearly wants to have its own popular multiplayer game so they can prominently feature and promote it at all times on Twitch.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ErrEff posted:

Amazon dearly wants to have its own popular multiplayer game so they can prominently feature and promote it at all times on Twitch.

It's funny too because Jeff Bezos until very recently, didnt even know Amazon had a gaming division.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Not many people at Amazon know that, it seems

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm still not convinced New World really exists.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've played New World, but in its really early pre-alpha stage before it turned into an MMORPG.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ErrEff posted:

I don't mean to give them ideas that will inevitably make my life worse but why don't they just buy an existing popular game with their trillion dollars.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't mean to give them ideas that will inevitably make my life worse but why don't they just buy an existing popular game with their trillion dollars.

They apparently purchased the publishing rights to Lost ARK, and are bringing that to America. That is a hugely popular action MMORPG in Korea, and Russia.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ninja Gaiden II: holy hell is the water dragon boss fight area beautiful :swoon:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Crucible being unreleased is still hilarious to me

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

Ninja Gaiden II: holy hell is the water dragon boss fight area beautiful :swoon:

I really need to replay those games, they're so good

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crucible being an Overwatch clone with Amazon's unlimited money, would have been awesome. I want a game to play that is like Overwatch, but Blizzard sucks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Crucible being an Overwatch clone with Amazon's unlimited money, would have been awesome. I want a game to play that is like Overwatch, but Blizzard sucks rear end.

There was a DoaG vid on Crucible, and one of the comments rang particularly true to me: it felt like a game where a bunch of competing game design leads had been thoughtlessly crammed together, each of whom was trying to wrestle control to drive the game in the direction they wanted. It had such a confused identity, something that wasn't helped by it having a bland aesthetic that refused to step far enough into stylized realism to actually stand out in the crowd.