Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
Only use locally sourced plasma

https://twitter.com/covidblogger/status/1374350664734707714?s=19

E:cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Pryor on Fire posted:

Dec 20

Mar 21

:bahgawd:

I'm sorry but you're already been reported for spreading COVID misinformation.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Insanite posted:

where the hell did the "it's not cases we're trying to control--it's hospitalizations" line come from? i'm seeing it all over from the open'erupistas.

apparently, letting covid ravage young brains and lungs and hearts is okay as long as hospitals aren't overwhelmed?

i feel like i'm a different species from these people.

That's been the thing from the very beginning for them. It's based on a couple core assumptions. They generally accept that COVID is real and contagious but they are fully bought in to "just the flu". So they believe that COVID is only dangerous to people who are old and infirm. Second, they believe that COVID is a completely binary thing where either you have mild symptoms or you are hospitalized and likely die. There's no in between.

And now that Trump is gone and Biden is in charge, this is also what liberals believe.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Update to my frustrated post yesterday: I have registered to take the Pfizer juice.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Mega lol at AZ botching yet another milestone for their snakebit vaccine.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

an owls casket posted:

yeah but still though, openerup. especially schools.

I see and hear you
schools are good, kids very bad
open'r up (saf'ly)

Edit: too early in the day at 3 PM :(

Pingui has issued a correction as of 15:20 on Mar 23, 2021

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

fosborb posted:

these are all self reported numbers. take them as seriously as you would Pitbull being compelled to party at an Alaskan Walmart by sheer fan enthusiasm

wait but that's exactly what happened and he was uncharacteristically Actually Cool about it https://mashable.com/2012/07/17/pitbull-is-going-to-alaska/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NrllHwHq7w

Insanite posted:

yeah, idk. i was a democrat for years, so the idea of not following rules makes me itch.

i occasionally do palliative care volunteer work, but i'm no 'professional,' which the state asks for.

on the other hand, acupuncturists are eligible. so's a family member who is a hospital beancounter in an MBA program.

in summary, i'm signing up for a gig delivery service, i think. gently caress this. rules followed.

hell yeah dude get the fuckin jab. gilette was specifically chosen as a location in order to apartheid this poo poo so imo take some unvaxxed people without a car while you're at it, if that's where you're going.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
here is one way my state is trying to get people back to school

https://www.woodtv.com/news/michigan/new-law-school-funding-tied-to-in-person-instruction/

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

A law that is substantially the same as financing schools by taking out life insurances on the kids.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Shifty Pony posted:

I hereby hire you to pick up groceries from the nearest supermarket and deliver them to your refrigerator.

there you're a gig worker, get the drat shot.

Doesnt count in Washington

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
lmfao the RI vax site was way easier and more straightforward than the MA ones (me and my bf are moving from RI to MA so we're just checking both since the bf qualifies in MA due to the type of work he does)

like all the MA ones so far made you answer a bunch of questions before even telling u if slots are available, or stick u on some annoying refreshing 'waiting room' page. whereas the RI one i signed up on told u straight up how many slots were available at what times, and selecting a time/slot would hold your place for 15 minutes while you answered all the prerequisite questions and other info

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

JFC today's Astrazeneca news. It's the Charlie Brown of covid vaccines.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...whitty-12254405 posted:

COVID-19: There's going to be a new surge in coronavirus infections and 'long rain shadow to COVID', warns Professor Chris Whitty
"There will definitely be another surge at some point," says England's chief medical officer on the first anniversary of lockdown.
(..)
But, predicting a further spike in infections at some point and possible vaccine supply problems, he added: "There are going to be lots of bumps and twists on the road from here on in.

"There will definitely be another surge at some point whether it's before winter or next winter, we don't know.

"Variants are going to cause problems, there will be stockouts of vaccines and no doubt there will be multiple problems at a national level but also at a local level - school outbreaks, prison outbreaks, all those things that people are dealing with on a day-to-day basis."
(..)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Prison outbreaks is a new one for me, didnt have that bingo square

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

my bony fealty posted:

lack of equipment and or adequate space

sure you can do a lot with bodyweight and a jump rope or whatever but it ain't the same as a gym

just fyi https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pivot-the-bed-that-transforms-into-a-home-gym#/

(obviously this is outside the means of many people. but it's a really cool product. if i didn't have a side yard to build my own powerlifting platform in, i would have gotten one)

Petey has issued a correction as of 16:04 on Mar 23, 2021

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Prison outbreaks is a new one for me, didnt have that bingo square

that they’re happening or that a journalist has acknowledged that they’re happening?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

With the advent of spring I complete my metamorphosis to that parent constantly yelling at their kid to keep some distance from the others on the playground. A magical time of year.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

that they’re happening or that a journalist has acknowledged that they’re happening?

I'm still drinking my first coffee I read that as people breaking out of prison whoops, I'm aware that it's really bad inside

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

got my first jab of pfizer juice this morning :stoked:

the mass vax clinic here in cleveland was the only aspect of pandemic response i've seen through this whole ordeal that was actually...competent? didn't have to wait at all even though there were a couple hundred people getting vaxxed, the needle was in my arm 30 seconds after i sat down

turns out the military is pretty good at doing the same thing over and over to a bunch of people arranged into lines

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fallom posted:

careful! qcs!!

the funniest thing about that thread was the fact that even the people who seem to only show up in QCS to bitch about CSPAM were dogpiling OP lmao

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This has been brewing for a while and doesn't bode well for the vaccine distribution going forward. Though possibly it would result in more nations to say gently caress it to the global distribution system and start producing vaccines themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/mar/23/eu-expand-criteria-used-decide-block-covid-vaccine-shipments posted:

EU to widen criteria for possible Covid vaccine export bans
Bloc expected to assess countries’ Covid vaccination coverage and record in facilitating exports to EU

The EU is expected to take into account the level of vaccination coverage in a country such as the UK and its record in facilitating exports to the bloc when deciding on whether to prohibit individual vaccine shipments.
(..)
But the EU also wants to widen its scope for controlling shipments of doses out of the bloc given the slow pace of its vaccination programme and supply problems in the first quarter of this year.
(..)
“Do we get the fair deal from the pharmaceutical companies?” Šefčovič asked at a press conference following a meeting of EU ministers. “Is this supply to other countries proportional to the effort the European Union and the manufacturing sites in the European Union are making in comparison with how the vaccination rates are evolving across the EU member states? So, this is what we want to hear from our partners, because I think everybody wants to have their fair share.”
(..)
“AstraZeneca says: I am experiencing delays. We say: mobilise your plants for us and if you don’t, we will block exports to the UK. We will discuss that on Thursday and Friday at the European council.”
(..)
Germany’s Europe minister, Michael Roth, said he recognised the risk in breaking down supply chains but that Berlin wanted “fair relationships”.

“For us it is still crucial that the principle of reciprocity, of equivalence, remains the focus of the relationships between the individual states, including the non-EU states and EU states,” he said.
(..)
“But of course it is just as important that there are fair relationships and that interaction is shaped by the fact that the EU is the one union where 75% of vaccines are manufactured. And therefore we are very much contributing so the world as a whole can be better protected from this pandemic.”
I don't know if the bolded part is accurate, but if it is... yikes.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

pancake rabbit posted:

got my first jab of pfizer juice this morning :stoked:

the mass vax clinic here in cleveland was the only aspect of pandemic response i've seen through this whole ordeal that was actually...competent? didn't have to wait at all even though there were a couple hundred people getting vaxxed, the needle was in my arm 30 seconds after i sat down

turns out the military is pretty good at doing the same thing over and over to a bunch of people arranged into lines

Celebrating another goon success story with my posting pals.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
I've got my eye on a walmart in Trump country on the olympic peninsula. Only like an hour fifteen to get there.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Strep Vote posted:

I've got my eye on a walmart in Trump country on the olympic peninsula. Only like an hour fifteen to get there.

posts that make people uneasy out of context dot tee ex tee

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pingui posted:

This has been brewing for a while and doesn't bode well for the vaccine distribution going forward. Though possibly it would result in more nations to say gently caress it to the global distribution system and start producing vaccines themselves.

I don't know if the bolded part is accurate, but if it is... yikes.

Australia is apparently going to fire up its own vaccine factory any day now which will reportedly be pumping out one million AstraZenaca doses every week, although I would be less than shocked if turns out they massively overestimated their production capacity because they've hosed up pretty much every other scheduled element of their pandemic response so far.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
NY dropped their restrictions to 50+ this morning and...there's still thousands of appointments available

Maybe they'll drop it to 40+

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

With the advent of spring I complete my metamorphosis to that parent constantly yelling at their kid to keep some distance from the others on the playground. A magical time of year.

I ran into some friends at a park who were there with their kid. At some point the kid asked if they could go play on the playground. The small fenced in playground was crawling with mask-less kids so the parents said "no" and the kid got upset. Like, imagine how that sounds from the kids perspective. All the other kids can go play, so why can't I?

Raising kids right now is "hard mode". Hate it for y'all.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Nocturtle posted:

I found a school that no kids go to on weekends that has a playground. got lucky on that one

for the winter I bought two sets of tube lox so my living room is a big rear end kid gym now

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

pancake rabbit posted:

posts that make people uneasy out of context dot tee ex tee

They are just planning on getting shot there-ohhhhhh

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

[redacted]

Mr. Pizza has issued a correction as of 18:51 on Mar 23, 2021

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Rapid tests are good enough to keep a room full of people safe, right?

https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe/status/1374360423248576512?s=20

They're not? Hm. This seems stupid.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Insanite posted:

where the hell did the "it's not cases we're trying to control--it's hospitalizations" line come from? i'm seeing it all over from the open'erupistas.

apparently, letting covid ravage young brains and lungs and hearts is okay as long as hospitals aren't overwhelmed?

i feel like i'm a different species from these people.

It's from the flatten the curve messaging a year ago, whoever came up with that has millions of deaths on their hands. The messaging said yes, we are ok with 1% of the population dying, but not in a way that results in hospitals running out of room (resulting in more deaths), so spread the death out year round

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Insanite posted:

Rapid tests are good enough to keep a room full of people safe, right?

https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe/status/1374360423248576512?s=20

They're not? Hm. This seems stupid.

rapid tests are garbage for asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic people

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Just got my second shot of slut juice. My farts have never been so powerful.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Rapid tests are garbage full stop.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Australia is apparently going to fire up its own vaccine factory any day now which will reportedly be pumping out one million AstraZenaca doses every week, although I would be less than shocked if turns out they massively overestimated their production capacity because they've hosed up pretty much every other scheduled element of their pandemic response so far.

I hope to see more of that and I think it is inevitable at this point. A few years back (2017 lol) Denmark shuttered its national vaccine production and I remembered thinking at the time how that was just the dumbest most shortsighted course of action. Being right has never been as rage inducing as under COVID.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

*furnace checkup person comes to home*

"yeah it'll take just a half hour, and you can go ahead and do your work and I'll let you know if I need anything"

me: "yeah I'm setup right over here"

*points to desk, which has nothing on it but a monitor and PS4*

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

brugroffil posted:

rapid tests are garbage for asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic people

didn’t need to go past those first four words, really

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://mobile.twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1374379952691277830

Seems pretty good to me at first glance.

But looking at the vaccinations rates across the population we've had since it first started makes me wonder if they're having some problem trying to just get enough people to do their shots. It seems like they just want to open up access to everyone to keep the vaccinations rates constant so nobody notices that there are quite large amounts of people who still haven't got the vaccines yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Asproigerosis posted:

Rapid tests are garbage full stop.

deadwing posted:

didn’t need to go past those first four words, really

I thought they were fine for people with moderate or worse symptoms? not as good as rtPCR though