Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

punishedkissinger posted:

you can craft bowls?

It's various foods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

Have any of you had to straight up abandon your body with all your gear in it?

Yep, which is why I’m glad I buried an extra full set of gear beneath my house like John Wick.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Theres only one place you absolutely can't recover your corpse from and you'd be very dumb to go there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

But also you should definitely go there

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got stuck in a death loop by building too close to the plains when trying to get to Bonemass, I ended up using cheat mode to recover it.

Technically I could have remade all my gear and I think that's how they "expect" you to play but I was kinda salty about the situation. I did naked runs, I did stealthy troll hide armor runs, I tried to block them with a shield and take them out runs and I was building a lovely graveyard near their spawn point. So I said gently caress it and swapped to godmode.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

xzzy posted:

I got stuck in a death loop by building too close to the plains when trying to get to Bonemass, I ended up using cheat mode to recover it.

Technically I could have remade all my gear and I think that's how they "expect" you to play but I was kinda salty about the situation. I did naked runs, I did stealthy troll hide armor runs, I tried to block them with a shield and take them out runs and I was building a lovely graveyard near their spawn point. So I said gently caress it and swapped to godmode.

Bioshuffle posted:

The prospect of dying in a place where body retrieval is impossible is one that gets to me. Earlier today, I was navigating a river when I got beached while surrounded by plains on both sides. A mob of goblins started to swarm me and I thought I was dead. Somehow managed to lay down a workbench, repair, and push ny ship to safety.

plester1 posted:

Yep, which is why I’m glad I buried an extra full set of gear beneath my house like John Wick.

Just so you all know, there is a Body Recovery Service. They neither request nor accept any kind of payment or trade for their service. You can get a hold of them via their Discord. No matter what stupid rear end situation you have dropped your body into (including hoards of 50 Fulings, in the middle of the Ocean with nothing near it. In a pit filled with Rock Golems, Wolves, etc), they guarantee they will get your poo poo back.

https://discord.gg/X73uR4gjKa

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My situation was like a week after launch, that didn't exist at that point.

And I'm not handing out my server password to strangers anyways, no matter how cool they seem to be. :colbert:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

xzzy posted:

My situation was like a week after launch, that didn't exist at that point.

And I'm not handing out my server password to strangers anyways, no matter how cool they seem to be. :colbert:

Hey, you do you, they have piles and piles of testimonials though, usually they also do neat things like kill Sea Serpents along the way to your body and give you helpful pointers (also you can put wards on your village, change the password for them to come in, then change it when they leave)

e: Also you can just make a back up of your server before calling them. Then do nothing until they get there, and if by some odd occurrence you got a random weirdo who went through their long application and interview process, who then went out on team recoveries before then going on a solo one, just to mess with your game, you can just revert it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why the hell are sea serpents so nutritious

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

why the hell are sea serpents so nutritious

it's the chicken of the sea

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

toadee posted:

Just so you all know, there is a Body Recovery Service. They neither request nor accept any kind of payment or trade for their service. You can get a hold of them via their Discord. No matter what stupid rear end situation you have dropped your body into (including hoards of 50 Fulings, in the middle of the Ocean with nothing near it. In a pit filled with Rock Golems, Wolves, etc), they guarantee they will get your poo poo back.

https://discord.gg/X73uR4gjKa

My private server does hardcore runs, including going to the place where you can't recover your body as a victory sendoff :)

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

plester1 posted:

My private server does hardcore runs, including going to the place where you can't recover your body as a victory sendoff :)

Well yes, not there.

Here though it looks to me like one of the BRS clients managed to spawn three copies of Yagluth:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think there's no limit to the number of bosses you can spawn, that youtube guy that likes to break games spawned so many Elders the game was unplayable.

If you got the offerings, spam as fast as you can!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
:rip: Greydwarf toaster. You provided me all the stone you could.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Kinda irritated by having to set a parameter, and read a "You're playing it wrong!" message before I unlock the debug commands.

Some strong 'listening to the screaming 1%' energy there.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Some of these changes do not bode well for the future of the game IMO. The devs seem pretty hell bent on preventing people from having fun in ways they don't like. I don't use the console for anything other than modding and I have never harpooned a boss or created a Greydwarf toaster but why would the devs feel the need to dedicate time and resources, to "fixing" those? Why make the hammer and cultivator have delays? Just, why?

They just sold millions of copies of their game and this is the stuff they are prioritizing? Not good.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 23, 2021

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I wonder how long ago they started working on these changes?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
That's an awfully strong reaction to a few small changes made by a dev group that just came out with a game that is pretty loving excellent.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
An understandable one though, I think. Lots of promising games have gone down the route of realizing their players were having too much fun and focusing on trying to stamp it out. I don't get it, but I can understand why people might be wary of it. And it's very clear the majority of "regulars" on the official steam forums really really want them to go down that route.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 23, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

by pondering extremely hard on the fact that they fixed a bug that gives chairs priority over thrones, i can discern that they wish to turn valheim into a freemium MOBA-style game aimed at the Twitch market

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Some of these changes do not bode well for the future of the game IMO. The devs seem pretty hell bent on preventing people from having fun in ways they don't like. I don't use the console for anything other than modding and I have never harpooned a boss or created a Greydwarf toaster but why would the devs feel the need to dedicate time and resources, to "fixing" those? Why make the hammer and cultivator have delays? Just, why?

They just sold millions of copies of their game and this is the stuff they are prioritizing? Not good.

Possibly because these simple things take about 50 seconds to fix and adding whole new systems and the other roadmap things they have planned take months?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Thank you for the standard "but this game is good!" response that doesn't address what I said, at all. Yes, the game is excellent. Yes, these changes are "small" and "few". They also represent a significant chunk of the overall changes made since the game was released. It is indicative of their priorities and the indication is that they are as or more concerned with "fixing" people farming greydwarves with extremely elaborate (and funny) fire torture pits as they are with adding content or fixing actual gameplay issues.

As for things taking 50 seconds to fix, perhaps they could take other 50 second chunk of time to fix their awful netcode which has been modded by amateurs to allow for much greater flow of traffic, with only minor edits that would take less than 50 seconds to implement. I would think that horrible game breaking lag for groups of more than 2 people would be a higher priority than telling people who use the console that they have been "warned".

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 23, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

GlyphGryph posted:

An understandable one though, I think. Lots of promising games have gone down the route of realizing their players were having too much fun and focusing on trying to stamp it out. I don't get it, but I can understand why people might be wary of it. And it's very clear the overwhelming majority of folks on the official steam forums really really want them to go down that route.

:shrug: It's pretty irritating to be playing on a server with friends and acquaintances, and watching them just cheat the chests full of resources for stuff and glitch metals back to base.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

by pondering extremely hard on the fact that they fixed a bug that gives chairs priority over thrones, i can discern that they wish to turn valheim into a freemium MOBA-style game aimed at the Twitch market

This is an incredibly stupid and backwards way to interpret the stated concerns but you do you.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
One minor patch and the doomsaying begins, is that a new record?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

:shrug: It's pretty irritating to be playing on a server with friends and acquaintances, and watching them just cheat the chests full of resources for stuff and glitch metals back to base.

They can still do that and nothing the devs have done so far will address this at all?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I would think that horrible game breaking lag for groups of more than 2 people would be a higher priority than telling people who use the console that they have been "warned".

Isn't this the major fix from this patch?

PittTheElder posted:

Was this... fixed by the patch somehow?

Personally, I think the current patch is actually pretty good and the only weird things is the campfire thing and the hard harpoon nerf. I don't see any particular reason to worry, but I also understood why people might worry.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jkyuusai posted:

This is an incredibly stupid and backwards way to interpret the stated concerns but you do you.

i'm sorry i'm not taking the State of the Vikings concerns particularly seriously and will resolve to do better in future

the concerns are, imo, insane, so perhaps you could go and do you, instead

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I didn't enjoy having to use campfires to farm stone so it's not like they're taking away my fun time, but I do wish they would reconsider how much certain stone building pieces take. You can make a 4x2x1 stone wall with 6 stone but a set of 2x2x1 stairs takes 8 and a 2x2x1 stone floor tile takes 6, so if your project takes a lot of stairs and/or stone floors you're gonna be hurting for stone.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Broken Cog posted:

One minor patch and the doomsaying begins, is that a new record?

But they made you opt into having the console available ! Why didn't they release two new biomes instead?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Bioshuffle posted:

The prospect of dying in a place where body retrieval is impossible is one that gets to me. Earlier today, I was navigating a river when I got beached while surrounded by plains on both sides. A mob of goblins started to swarm me and I thought I was dead. Somehow managed to lay down a workbench, repair, and push ny ship to safety.

Boyfriend went super deep into plains before he realized how deadly it was in our attempt to get to Elder (Our Elder spawned very far away from our initial island despite there being a ton of black forest surrounding us), worst part was as he tried to run to the Elder spawn, we found out there was an entire island of swamp and plains and mountain that was like four times longer than our starting island blocking us from the Elder spawn. Needless to say, it was terrifying settling near that Blackforest, which graciously had a tiny meadows to settle in, and required a Cape of Good Hope level of navigation to get to.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They changed harpoons not being able to be used on bosses and campfires taking damage when they deal damage because you could literally just cheese bosses by boxing them in with a campfire or dragging them up a tree for your friends to hit in the butt and unable to attack back, I've never felt the need to use harpoons or campfires on bosses and don't feel like fixing exploits like that is "ruining the game"

They didn't remove the console either, you just have to add -console to the launch commands and type devcommands instead of imacheater (I much prefer that to imacheater because I kept typing iamacheater instead), people can still use the console to "console" themselves and replace lost equipment on deaths they deem unfair or save themselves a few hours of their life by spawning in a thousand rocks for a vanity building project.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 23, 2021

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Yeah, building out of stone takes an oppressive amount. they either need to increase how much you get from breaking rocks in the world, or decreasing the amount it takes to build.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Floppychop posted:

Yeah, building out of stone takes an oppressive amount. they either need to increase how much you get from breaking rocks in the world, or decreasing the amount it takes to build.

The worst part is the more you mine the worse your game lag is going to be in that area, so you're incentivized to put your quarry very far away, but that also makes it a pain in the rear end to haul it.

Stone really needs a rebalance, it's already a pain in the rear end to use.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Wood Floor 2x2: 2 Wood
Stone Floor 2x2: 6 Stone

Wood Stair 2x2: 2 Wood
Stone Stair 2x2: 8 Stone

Wood Wall 2x2 two pieces: 4 Wood
Stone Wall 4x2: 6 Stone

Wood Wall half 2x1: 1 Wood
Stone Wall 2x1: 4 Stone
Stone Wall 1x1: 3 Stone

Wood Pole 2m: 2 Wood
Stone Pillar 1x1x2: 5 Stone

Guess I gotta go mine under some of those cool Plains rocks.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

i'm sorry i'm not taking the State of the Vikings concerns particularly seriously and will resolve to do better in future

the concerns are, imo, insane, so perhaps you could go and do you, instead

You did an incredibly bad faith reading of a post in a poor attempt to get a dunk in.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Floppychop posted:

4 stone to raise ground is a lot, as well. Especially when it can be really fiddly when it wants.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Clitch posted:

4 stone to raise ground is a lot, as well. Especially when it can be really fiddly when it wants.

Between the raise ground trick to bring it up to the highest point+1 and then using the pickaxe to spread that out while bringing it down, it's pretty easy to get a big flat plateau without using much stone.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Reik posted:

Wood Floor 2x2: 2 Wood
Stone Floor 2x2: 6 Stone

Wood Stair 2x2: 2 Wood
Stone Stair 2x2: 8 Stone

Wood Wall 2x2 two pieces: 4 Wood
Stone Wall 4x2: 6 Stone

Wood Wall half 2x1: 1 Wood
Stone Wall 2x1: 4 Stone
Stone Wall 1x1: 3 Stone

Wood Pole 2m: 2 Wood
Stone Pillar 1x1x2: 5 Stone

Guess I gotta go mine under some of those cool Plains rocks.

Honestly, just preserve your worlds natural beauty and console in rocks for your projects, there is no challenge in mining a bunch of rocks besides the challenge of having the time to waste and tolerance for the tedium of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Let me pay money to something to recover my body.

Hollow Knight did it and it worked great.