Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FistEnergy posted:

Oh man, that's awesome. My wife's old 3a is sitting in a drawer somewhere around here. Does that apply to the 9P as well?

Hell yeah: https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/oneplus-phone-deals

Get you some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Phy posted:

Reposting this, but TLDR: is there any way to get data off a (possibly) bricked phone with a non-working charge port and screen?

It's difficult to see how. You said you had the port replaced and it would charge but not turn on (how could they know it was charging if the screen doesn't work?). The next step is to actually try charging it. It may have been so dead that it needed a couple hours of charging just to get to the point where it would try to turn on and the shop didn't go that far. If you can turn it on then maybe there's something you can do but you aren't going to transplant chips into another phone to get it working.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm still amused at reviews that say the camera is "finally" a competitive offering when my opinion is the 8Pro had the best camera last year. At least, that was what I got from my photo taking.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tech reviewers never seem to understand photo quality or they would stop saying iPhone and Samsung are better than Pixel now because they absolutely aren't.

No opinion on current OnePlus cameras as the only one I used was the 6t and it was poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing I missed with the OP9 is that it's using the same main camera as the OP8P. That's pretty huge (literally and figuratively). I think that may be the largest phone sensor in that price bracket. No longer are the non-pro OP devices cursed with a dinky main sensor.

So, the fact that it has that sensor, combined with the same ultrawide as the OP9P, makes it a very compelling package (now that they added wireless charging.)

The T-Mobile version of it does have the IP68 water resistance, so it's pretty much a lock that all of the non-pros are good enough, only T-Mobile was willing to subsidize the certification on their models.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
After reading the reviews I think I'm going with the vanilla 9, since it has the excellent 8P main sensor, the new 9P wide angle sensor, and the addition of wireless charging. I can turn in my wife's 3a and get it for peanuts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FistEnergy posted:

After reading the reviews I think I'm going with the vanilla 9, since it has the excellent 8P main sensor, the new 9P wide angle sensor, and the addition of wireless charging. I can turn in my wife's 3a and get it for peanuts.

Yeah, this thing is going to be a steal on T-Mobile with trade ins and other carrier stuff.

I'm curious if the 50% off with trade in will include the 6T. Because while I don't have a particular need for the OP9 vanilla, that would be a pretty awesome way to extract >$300 of worth out of it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MKBHD's video seems to be a fair look.
One thing he really didn't put enough emphasis on though is the 1/4-1/3s shutter lag. That's completely unusable and on-par with early 00s P&S cameras (where it was considered unusable even then).
Maybe this was an issue with his unit / that software build but it's worth keeping an eye on.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont know, the OP9P is about $100 bucks more than it should be you can get a 21 ultra with a $200 rebate right now and $250 worth of accessories, with government discount it puts it cheaper than the pro. The regular one is fine but could also stand to be a bit cheaper.

Also no 5G on ATT is a dealbreaker for me

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 23, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Khablam posted:

MKBHD's video seems to be a fair look.
One thing he really didn't put enough emphasis on though is the 1/4-1/3s shutter lag. That's completely unusable and on-par with early 00s P&S cameras (where it was considered unusable even then).
Maybe this was an issue with his unit / that software build but it's worth keeping an eye on.

It's funny because another review mentioned specifically how fast the shutter was and was able to get exactly what they were shooting for even with fast moving subjects.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont know, the OP9P is about $100 bucks more than it should be you can get a 21 ultra with a $200 rebate right now and $250 worth of accessories, with government discount it puts it cheaper than the pro. The regular one is fine but could also stand to be a bit cheaper.

Different strokes for different folks. I've had the S21 Ultra since launch and I still don't feel at home with it. One UI still rubs me the wrong way and I still cringe every time I reach for that fingerprint sensor since it's still an absurdly high rejection rate.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

It's crazy how much better the fingerprint sensor was on my 1+ 7 Pro than my S21 Ultra. Instant vs 1/2 second or more, 99% first try unlock vs maybe 65%, odd thumb angle ok vs perfectly square. To be fair, I had to retrain the 7Pro several times and I've only re-registered my thumb a couple times across all 4 slots on the s21.

Instant face unlock on the s21 though, compared to the 7 Pro. But I can't find a way to keep it unlocked at home or in my car like I could with my 1+ phones.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

My Note 10+ unlocks if you only tap it, though I did double register both fingers I regularly use.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I quad registered my thumb, still slow and inconsistent compared to my 1+ 7 Pro. I'll re-register and see if that helps

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Note 10+, S20 Ultra, Note 20 Ultra, S21 Ultra. All have massive rejection rate issues with me. The larger S21 Ultra sensor is marginally better, but the issue is with the underlying technology. Ultrasonic sensors just don't work well with dry skin and my fingertips are always dry no matter what I do.

There's often times when it's not just a rejection, it just flat out doesn't recognize the finger is there.

Don't have any issue at all with capacitive or optical sensors.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

See I find the S21U sensor to be better that my OP7P in terms of rejection. Probably equal as far as speed goes (fast enough). Fastest fingerprint sensor I've ever had though was the capacitive one on a many generations old Huawei Mate 9. If I just breathed on it with my finger it unlocked instantly. It was so fast I thought at the time it wasn't even reading my fingerprint but sure enough, it only recognized the two fingers I had programmed in it. I had a Pixel 2XL afterwards that just couldn't compete with it at all.

I was looking at the night photos on the GSMArena review and that new Sony sensor on the Pro is absolutely bonkers. If you like taking pictures at night it's probably the best phone right now. I'd be curious to see how much better they are when used with one of those little phone tripods as I would imagine the camera software still has tripod detection which lets it spend an unusually long time exposing the image (I think it went for 30 seconds on my 7 Pro, stacking progressively longer exposures).

Someone asked about OnePlus software. I quite liked it on my 7 Pro. A lot of ways to customize, and it looked pretty slick.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 24, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, my experience with the OP8P camera on a tripod is that it captured the same level of astrophotography as the Pixel 4 XL in 25 seconds vs 4 minutes. I got some really nice comet shots last year.

I really hope Google goes with the big sensor this year.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Phy posted:

Reposting this, but TLDR: is there any way to get data off a (possibly) bricked phone with a non-working charge port and screen?

At this point it's a "how much do you value those photos" situation (leaning strongly towards "unless you're willing to spend the equivalent of a used 3-4 year old midsize car, you're not getting those photos back"). I suspect the motherboard is toast at this point, so we check the Compatibility Definition Document which is what enforces Android policies by manufacturers to see your level of boned.

The 7.1 shipped with Android 8.1, which means the CDD for 8.1 applies to it.

quote:

If device implementations support a secure lock screen as described in section 9.11.1 and support data storage encryption with Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) crypto performance above 50MiB/sec, they:

[C-2-1] MUST enable the data storage encryption by default at the time the user has completed the out-of-box setup experience. If device implementations are already launched on an earlier Android version with encryption disabled by default, such a device cannot meet the requirement through a system software update and thus MAY be exempted.

As the Snapdragon 636 supported AES-NI, I'm confident that it meets those crypto benchmarks. What this ends up meaning is that the storage is encrypted specifically for the device, and transplanting it (assuming you could transplant it without damaging the NAND modules) will result in a bunch of encrypted data.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

So, my experience with the OP8P camera on a tripod is that it captured the same level of astrophotography as the Pixel 4 XL in 25 seconds vs 4 minutes. I got some really nice comet shots last year.

I really hope Google goes with the big sensor this year.

Got a link handy for those space pics? I always enjoy seeing what these little phone cameras are capable of.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Linked for size. I've posted inline in this thread before, but full resolution will cut down on some of the imgur lowering the quality. 30 second exposures on two different nights.

These were both shot in manual mode on a tripod

ISO200
https://i.imgur.com/vvQnnRB.jpg

ISO400
https://i.imgur.com/E0hSEzV.jpg

You couldn't see it with the naked eye.

Biggest issue I had was my friend's deck was still pretty bouncy in the breeze so even on a tripod, longer exposures got a little iffy sometimes.

I honestly don't think my A6000 did much better, but that could be my failing. Don't have those shots handy right now though.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 24, 2021

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The pixel's astrophotography is impressive because it captures a lot more than just higher magnitude stars, and does it all without trails.
https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/6422957949/google-pixel-4-astrophotography-samples
Not gonna try to rehost or hotlink but you can click 'original' on any of those and see what I mean. It's massively more sensitive than just long-exposing and applying NR on a smartphone sensor.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Khablam posted:

The pixel's astrophotography is impressive because it captures a lot more than just higher magnitude stars, and does it all without trails.
https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/6422957949/google-pixel-4-astrophotography-samples
Not gonna try to rehost or hotlink but you can click 'original' on any of those and see what I mean. It's massively more sensitive than just long-exposing and applying NR on a smartphone sensor.

Mainly a big fan of it being able to do the AI wizardry to make the trees and the stars visible on this one even though it was in a campground with a few lights and stuff

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pixel 4xl in astrophotography mode captured within minutes of the second OP8P photo I linked. There are significantly more stars in the OP8P photo.

https://i.imgur.com/WTVddqS.jpg

The Pixel astrophotography mode is great when you have sufficient darkness, but in urban/suburban skies, the small sensor size shows. It just can't gather enough light, no matter how many exposures it combines, to overcome background light.

FWIW, I also tried using the S20 Ultra during that same timeframe, but I ended up deleting all the photos because they were basically unusable.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's more that the OP8P will struggle or just smear results like fauxton posted, not that in your specific backyard setting it does better. Even then I find yours hard to look at 1:1 because the trails create an uncomfortable double-image, even if it does objectively resolve more stars.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The s21 ultra fingerprint reader is the only in screen fingerprint reader that hasn't sucked rear end for me. It's reliable.

Watched a bunch of OnePlus 9 pro videos. Seems pretty mediocre/unremarkable.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Is Google assistant on android tv less functional than one for normal android? I recently got a Xiaomi TV and assistant seems to recognize less commands than the one on my smartphone. From silly things like telling jokes to more useful like looking up air quality for my city which my phone assistant does with no issues. Seems to mostly search live tv and youtube apps with whatever you say to it. I asked it what it can do and it thought I meant a title of some old soviet movie.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'd assume its specifically aimed at being an assistant for the thing its on, i.e a TV and doing TV related things

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The thing that blows my fuckin mind is how chrome isn't baked in on android TV, especially the Shield. I guess its to discourage visiting streaming sites and poo poo but ugh. (yes, yes I've sideloaded it but still)

sad question
May 30, 2020

Skarsnik posted:

I'd assume its specifically aimed at being an assistant for the thing its on, i.e a TV and doing TV related things
That's a bit lame though. It is able to tell the local weather or look for nearby restaurants and all those other things that don't work are just looking up a thing on the internet and running tech to speech.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Twerk from Home posted:

T-Mobile is offering $360 in trade-in value for Pixel 3a as a promo towards the OP9, so I'm probably going to do that.

Any Oneplus gotchas for somebody who has been riding the Pixel train for years?

Actual trade value or statement credits spaced out?
Although who am I kidding I'm a Google whore and Pixel Warrior

Edit: didn't notice there was another page, it's bill credits (as expected)

Humerus fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 24, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Buff Hardback posted:

At this point it's a "how much do you value those photos" situation (leaning strongly towards "unless you're willing to spend the equivalent of a used 3-4 year old midsize car, you're not getting those photos back"). I suspect the motherboard is toast at this point, so we check the Compatibility Definition Document which is what enforces Android policies by manufacturers to see your level of boned.

The 7.1 shipped with Android 8.1, which means the CDD for 8.1 applies to it.

As the Snapdragon 636 supported AES-NI, I'm confident that it meets those crypto benchmarks. What this ends up meaning is that the storage is encrypted specifically for the device, and transplanting it (assuming you could transplant it without damaging the NAND modules) will result in a bunch of encrypted data.

I'm firmly of the belief that the data lost to drive encryption is overall a larger problem than the data theft it prevents, and that it should be an opt-in for people and companies with specific needs.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Computer viking posted:

I'm firmly of the belief that the data lost to drive encryption is overall a larger problem than the data theft it prevents, and that it should be an opt-in for people and companies with specific needs.

Except the data theft it's preventing is by the guy who stole your phone. It also makes it less likely the phone will be stolen in the first place since it now can longer be activated.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Computer viking posted:

You're only losing data if you don't backup, which is incredibly low-friction on any mobile device.
OTOH if you backdoor encryption because you want to solve "lost data" encryption is completely pointless for everyone.

If a company in particular is losing data this way, they have severe internal structure problems and the solution is not to make it worse for the entire rest of the world.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Speaking of, what's the go to SMS/MMS backup? I don't use one cause I don't care, but I just realized that I haven't set anything up for my mom and she would, especially texts with photos of her grandkids.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SMS Backup and Restore is my go to still.

They even have a 100% client side parser on their website that allows you to print out conversations or batch download all attachments.

It also works with RCS when Google Messages is used since Messages stores a copy of the RCS message in the SMS/MMS store.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Uthor posted:

Speaking of, what's the go to SMS/MMS backup? I don't use one cause I don't care, but I just realized that I haven't set anything up for my mom and she would, especially texts with photos of her grandkids.
Unless you turned it off, Google device backup is on by default and includes SMS after 8.0 or 8.1, I forget which. You can always check its working however.
The main problem areas you might want to help with are App data (less and less relevant as almost anything of any significance has sign-in) and 2-factor backup codes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Khablam posted:

The main problem areas you might want to help with are App data (less and less relevant as almost anything of any significance has sign-in) and 2-factor backup codes.

Good to keep in mind, but irrelevant here. My mom uses phone, SMS, Gmail, Chrome, and YouTube. That's all.

I'll check the device backup next time I see her.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I still like using smsbackup+

I'm not bothered about transferring the actual texts between phones, but its nice having them saved and searchable in gmail

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google's built in SMS backup is pretty limited as it explicitly does not include MMS messages (so no photos) unless you download and configure the Google One app.

There's also no way to access this backup without restoring on to another phone. Even Google Takeout doesn't touch it for some reason.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
use google voice and you never need to back up anything. i finally got the dreaded notice on hangouts that i need to start using the gv app instead. i am not thrilled about this development!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Curious why you guys feel the need to back up texts?