Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

one of my bosses bought this hook line and sinker and wrote me a nice note saying thank you lmao

my wife does the opposite, she writes up a bunch of emails at night before she goes to bed and schedules them during the day so she can spend the day watching netflix

my boss sent me an email last night at 10:06pm which was not particularlty important but also past the reasonable threshold of "this can wait till tomoorow" and now im questioning whether she was actually working that late or if it was some sort of subtle power play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol if you don't gently caress around all week and then spend friday and saturday doing all the work while crying

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

“Time working” is just such a precovid relic for anyone working from home

Yesterday I stopped “working” at 4:00 but I also started an hour earlier and took an hour worth of calls and emails between 5pm and 10 pm

It's a relic from loving assembly lines really. Most jobs, especially desk jobs, don't benefit from counting minutes. I have been reprimanded for basically doing my job fast and leaving early instead of slacking off while working long hours. Plenty of managers measure productivity in man hours instead of results because it's easy to put into numbers.

Being present at specific times matters if you need to respond to people live, like in a meeting or performing surgery or whatever. But who the gently caress cares when you write your code or write a memo, as long as it gets done?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
measuring the output of white collar jobs is pretty hard and requires a lot of trust. good management with their eye on overall progress and awareness of individual contribution is ideal, but lovely management relies on butts in seats because that's all they can measure really

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there's something to be said for having people in a physical space together to foster a sense of collegiality, i feel. home office has been really loving with my head by depriving me of colleagues

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Absolutely. But that can easily be achieved by having people come in 10-14, with some leaving early and others staying late

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

one other thing I've considered doing is writing basic emails during the day, something simple like asking my boss to sign off on an invoice, and scheduling them to go out at a random time like 8:36 PM so everyone thinks im working all hours into the night

I do this all the time highly recommend

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I'm working a high-dollar aerospace project with hard delivery dates and we are crunched on schedule time and I STILL never get emails or calls past 5 PM, its insane to me that some beancounters are pestering people at like 10 at night for some nonphysical, noncritical bullshit

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Best only done if you are initiating a new piece of work or raising a new issue or something. If you time an email to reply into a chain or issue that's already being worked on you risk being out of date and looking like a complete dotard

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://mobile.twitter.com/return2travel/status/1373998426925457410

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Cold on a Cob posted:

measuring the output of white collar jobs is pretty hard and requires a lot of trust. good management with their eye on overall progress and awareness of individual contribution is ideal, but lovely management relies on butts in seats because that's all they can measure really

measuring output of putertoucher job is trivial and straightforward if you can read code but absolutely lol at managers bein able to read code

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

measuring output of putertoucher job is trivial and straightforward if you can read code but absolutely lol at managers bein able to read code

what could you possibly measure by looking at code? that would be like measuring a restaurant by looking at its recipes

better to know if the code produces anything useful rather than how it works/how much of it there is, and that's absolutely the job of non-coders because left to their own, they develop things like bitcoin

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Plank Walker posted:

what could you possibly measure by looking at code? that would be like measuring a restaurant by looking at its recipes

better to know if the code produces anything useful rather than how it works/how much of it there is, and that's absolutely the job of non-coders because left to their own, they develop things like bitcoin

Everyone knows more lines = better than

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Plank Walker posted:

if you have peeps who actually wrote the code, they cant judge it

if you have peeps who dont know anything about code, they get steamrollered by the devs and they get bamboozled easily because often they dont know in their bones that computers are a gently caress

manager who didnt write the code but knows how to read the code basically doesnt exist lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
10 rem lol
20 rem lol
30 rem lol
40 rem lol

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Measuring lines of code as a positive metric makes no sense, it's like measuring a widget based off part count or weight

Our widget weighs 2000 lbs and has 10,000 parts, progress!

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Justin Tyme posted:

Measuring lines of code as a positive metric makes no sense, it's like measuring a widget based off part count or weight

Our widget weighs 2000 lbs and has 10,000 parts, progress!

It's analogous to stupid people thinking ben shapiro is smart because he never shuts the gently caress up

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Bloop posted:

10 rem lol
20 rem lol
30 rem lol
40 rem lol
code:
$file="c:\project\bloop2.code"
$lmao=10
while () {
      "$lmao rem lol" | out-file -append $file
      $lmao+=10
}

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I remember my old kinda boss doing reverse engineering on some code, where he discovered it did a huge complicated thing which made a ton of sense, except in the end it just dumped it and did something else instead. Surely that piece of code that effectively did nothing was valuable, because it sure contained a lot of lines.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
one of my tasks this sprint is to evaluate and remove a lot of code, does this mean i have to give money back to my employer?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

BonHair posted:

I remember my old kinda boss doing reverse engineering on some code, where he discovered it did a huge complicated thing which made a ton of sense, except in the end it just dumped it and did something else instead. Surely that piece of code that effectively did nothing was valuable, because it sure contained a lot of lines.

That's just legacy code. It's what happens when someone who doesn't know what the gently caress is happening in the code and can't understand/take the time to understand it is ordered to fix it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"shouldnt we hire somebody who knows spanish to edit this spanish book we're writing"

"nah lets publish when we get to a word count"

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

"shouldnt we hire somebody who knows spanish to edit this spanish book we're writing"

"nah lets publish when we get to a word count"

We did this poo poo on purpose at one place I worked lol

In order to avoid "silos" (which I think is a dumb six sigma thing?) we would CHANGE PLACES! and move the people who wrote a program to work on a different one and vice versa. Then make those guys maintain each others' code base so that the knowledge wouldn't become concentrated.

The actual result of course is just that both programs suck now and take forever to fix

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yeah, the idea is that if all of the knowledge of some program or component lives in one person's head, the company is poo poo out of luck if that person leaves. Therefore it's best if knowledge is distributed among several people, so that nobody has any bargaining power.

Except putting a new person on the project to learn the system typically decreases the overall output while the new person ramps up and the team is spending effort on helping them ramp up rather than writing more code. Good management recognizes that this is the case, bad management throws a fit if productivity (as they define it) ever goes down, so you have people who know nothing about the system shipping bad code and their teammates are rubber stamping it because they don't have time to train that person or review it properly.

Or sometimes there is no overlap at all and you have a whole team of people trying to figure out what's going on because the old team all quit.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

code:
$file="c:\project\bloop2.code"
$lmao=10
while () {
      "$lmao rem lol" | out-file -append $file
      $lmao+=10
}

I stopped learning after qbasic but I appreciate the update

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

lmao my employer had IT put a little time stamp thingy on outlook a while back that displayed when the email was actually sent if it was set to go off later

that was a few years ago though so maybe it's stopped being the case I should test it out

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

lmao my employer had IT put a little time stamp thingy on outlook a while back that displayed when the email was actually sent if it was set to go off later

that was a few years ago though so maybe it's stopped being the case I should test it out

save an email as a draft, then log back onto work email in the evening and send it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ConradkBarwa/status/1363915938505064449

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Oh, we have a Gmail domain, and they added in the last year or so a "send later" option for emails.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

More :clap: female :clap: human :clap: traffickers :clap:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh yeah sure, I know how these stories go. I bet 5 paragraphs in they casually mention that she was only trafficked thanks to a $20,000 loan from her rich dad :rolleyes:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

Oh yeah sure, I know how these stories go. I bet 5 paragraphs in they casually mention that she was only trafficked thanks to a $20,000 loan from her rich dad :rolleyes:

:chloe:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Or sometimes there is no overlap at all and you have a whole team of people trying to figure out what's going on because the old team all quit.
Someone I know recently got into a comical situation like this. Except there was no team, just him.

Due to stupid company politics and being a ridiculous pushover with no self worth whatsoever and OCD as hell to boot, this guy never advanced in rank and never got any subordinates to help him, yet he somehow became equivalent to a country-level manager for multiple customers in actual job function. Their customers know him and ask for him by name. They're huge military contractors who have long-winded clearance processes, very strict SLAs to meet etc.

Hundreds of millions of company revenue completely depends on this one guy. He's the only one who knows how anything works and can fix problems quickly. He gets paid like 50k and he has to travel constantly and face incredibly hosed up situations at very short notice. He looks like he's dying at all times and friends have told him he is a moron repeatedly for putting up with it. At least one person in his role has commited suicide in the last few years. In a show of incredible sensitivity they named a lunchroom in his honour.

I never thought he would grow a backbone but he finally reached some kind of a limit last month and decided to leave. He called his manager and gave his two weeks notice. The manager said "ok" and took the rest of the day off in response. Soon successively higher level managers started calling our hero at home to beg him to stay as they realised the sheer level of disaster that was about to unfold and the insane explanations they were going to have to give. They were offering him all sorts of poo poo, quadruple pay, triple vacation etc.

Imagine the leverage this motherfucker has in this situation lmao. Their company will straight up cease to function in multiple countries if he leaves and won't resume for the majority of a year, and they'll have to pay in blood from SLA violations the whole time because nobody will have the clearance or ability to do the work. It's literally impossible to hire a replacement who knows anything, nobody does, it's layers of obscure legacy enterprise custom garbage software all the way down. And you better believe they have nobody to spare from anywhere else.

Well he still decided to leave. As a compromise he agreed to do contract work for them for 1500 per day whenever he felt like it. Still a pushover, IMO he should have started at 50000 per day, demanded a 10% stake in the company and increased his offer 10% with each refusal.

loving lol at the whole situation

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Forseti posted:

We did this poo poo on purpose at one place I worked lol

In order to avoid "silos" (which I think is a dumb six sigma thing?) we would CHANGE PLACES! and move the people who wrote a program to work on a different one and vice versa. Then make those guys maintain each others' code base so that the knowledge wouldn't become concentrated.

The actual result of course is just that both programs suck now and take forever to fix

i dont know what six sigma is and I refuse to learn

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Nastier Nate posted:

I refuse to learn

Nice try but you can't get promoted to executive management itt

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNxWMbbLSlA

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

The Nastier Nate posted:

one other thing I've considered doing is writing basic emails during the day, something simple like asking my boss to sign off on an invoice, and scheduling them to go out at a random time like 8:36 PM so everyone thinks im working all hours into the night

This is the 21st century George Costanza move

quote:

You see, Steinbrenner is like the first guy in, at the crack of dawn. He sees my car, he figures I'm the first guy in. Then, the last person to leave is Wilhelm. He sees my car, he figures I'm burning the midnight oil. Between the two of them, they think I'm working an 18 hour day!

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

It's a management system designed for assembly lines that MBAs keep trying to apply to every single aspect of life and failing.

The 'silos' thing comes from the idea that the guy installing seats into a Toyota should also take a turn at screwing on the bumpers which translates over to complex intellectual tasks about as well as you can imagine.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I finally got a position where I don't need to track time (I'm loving salaried) but before that I just had a candid conversation with my boss that my limiting factor on output isn't time, its my ability to give a poo poo, and he let me just scale everything by that metric and multiply the percentages by 40 every week.

Hours allocation is always stupid. always.

at my job we have to log time down to the 10th of a minute.

e: lmao I meant hour. tenth of an hour. not minute. god dammit.

DR FRASIER KRANG has issued a correction as of 23:47 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just imagine having a job where your progress is tracked in D&D rounds