Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

live with fruit posted:

Batman seems much worse about this than most superheroes because he goes out and patrols, basically looking for a fight. The Avengers are typically only called in on bigger threats who have a volunteer army (though Iron Man 3 is a big exception, since the Extremis bombs are just victims of Killian's).

Well there's lots of heroes like Spider Man or Daredevil who patrol and deal with lower level crime. Batman tends to have an edge and to some degree or anything terrorizes criminal. Its why a lot of version has a "Batman doesn't kill" rule since it sets a line for him. But then a number of versions of Batman do kill when "necessary" in battle. And some just do whenever. So it varies.

In the big stuff like Justice League and Avengers you're dealing with war and soldiers on a battle field and that's a whole other moral quandary. Like people focus on Spider Man killing aliens in Endgame, and yeah, that's messed up, but also there rally isn't a "don't kill" option in a battle field so... its a complicated thing and I think Falcon & Winter Soldier probably tried to defuse that a bit by making Falcon's op a rescue a mission. Whether that worked or not.

mind the walrus posted:

Someone said that the best modern arc for Batman for a shared universe is to have him start as a near-psychotic maladjusted weirdo who straight victimizes the mentally ill and criminally insane in Gotham (so you get the dark, gritty Batman neckbeards love) and then have him grow from the influence of other heroes that there's a better way and starts using his power as Bruce Wayne to both make Gotham and the wider world better. Have him actually grow up a bit.

I mean that'd play about as well as The Last Jedi did, but hey it makes dramatic sense.

That's basically the series arc of Arrow. He starts as a serial killer and gradually as he gains allies and friends they question his motives and actions and as he inspires more heroes they inspire him to be more heroic. He stops killing, adopts a more heroic identity, struggles with having to kill if necessary, grows as a person, tries to make his city better as Oliver Queen, and ultimately sacrifices himself to save the more idealistic heroes in Flash and Supergirl because he sees them as better than himself.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Well there's lots of heroes like Spider Man or Daredevil who patrol and deal with lower level crime. Batman tends to have an edge and to some degree or anything terrorizes criminal. Its why a lot of version has a "Batman doesn't kill" rule since it sets a line for him. But then a number of versions of Batman do kill when "necessary" in battle. And some just do whenever. So it varies.

In the big stuff like Justice League and Avengers you're dealing with war and soldiers on a battle field and that's a whole other moral quandary. Like people focus on Spider Man killing aliens in Endgame, and yeah, that's messed up, but also there rally isn't a "don't kill" option in a battle field so... its a complicated thing and I think Falcon & Winter Soldier probably tried to defuse that a bit by making Falcon's op a rescue a mission. Whether that worked or not.

There is a scene in Captain Marvel where Talos basically forgives Carol for everything she's done to the Skrulls because "it's war."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

live with fruit posted:

There is a scene in Captain Marvel where Talos basically forgives Carol for everything she's done to the Skrulls because "it's war."

Cap has a couple of scenes in the same vein. One in Winter Soldier when he's question Nick Fury and SHIELD, Fury says Cap and SHIELD did similar things in his day, and Cap says something like "we were at war and we crossed lines, and sometimes we were wrong." Then again in Age of Ultron when Maria Hill criticizes Wanda and Pietro for volunteering to be experimented on and Cap's like "yeah, what kind of monster would volunteer to be experimented on by a german scientist to protect their country?" Hill's like "that's different, you were at war" and Cap says "so are they."

War's hell and comic books tend to put it in a very black and white way where its alien invaders and the heroes have no real choice but to fight. But poo poo's complicated.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Cap has a couple of scenes in the same vein. One in Winter Soldier when he's question Nick Fury and SHIELD, Fury says Cap and SHIELD did similar things in his day, and Cap says something like "we were at war and we crossed lines, and sometimes we were wrong." Then again in Age of Ultron when Maria Hill criticizes Wanda and Pietro for volunteering to be experimented on and Cap's like "yeah, what kind of monster would volunteer to be experimented on by a german scientist to protect their country?" Hill's like "that's different, you were at war" and Cap says "so are they."

War's hell and comic books tend to put it in a very black and white way where its alien invaders and the heroes have no real choice but to fight. But poo poo's complicated.

And when they threw in some gray with the Skrulls in Captain Marvel, a lot of fans got mad and are still waiting for Marvel to retcon them to bad guys.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Iron Man 3 is a big budget episode of Fringe and it's why it rules.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

and in a genre that's all about broad modern archetypes designed to be easily understood by children work out their differences by fighting the same way musicals work out their differences by singing and dancing, it's not a stretch to guess which side they fall into basically by default

regrettable, but then again some of our earliest god-myths involve literal child sacrifice and lots of rape, so maybe on a relative curve this is in-fact a kind of progress.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Lid posted:

how did i never realize this before

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lid posted:

:monocle:

Also, for all the ‘Batman doesn’t kill’ thing, I don’t think there’s been a film where he hasn’t killed someone (‘66 notwithstanding).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Someone said that the best modern arc for Batman for a shared universe is to have him start as a near-psychotic maladjusted weirdo who straight victimizes the mentally ill and criminally insane in Gotham (so you get the dark, gritty Batman neckbeards love) and then have him grow from the influence of other heroes that there's a better way and starts using his power as Bruce Wayne to both make Gotham and the wider world better. Have him actually grow up a bit.

I mean that'd play about as well as The Last Jedi did, but hey it makes dramatic sense.

This is almost his exact arc across BvS and ZSJL.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

The_Doctor posted:

:monocle:

Also, for all the ‘Batman doesn’t kill’ thing, I don’t think there’s been a film where he hasn’t killed someone (‘66 notwithstanding).

Doean't the no killing rule comes from a few comics and BtAS? Now that I look at it nearly all his live action versions he kills.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“I don’t kill!” <outfits car with many Gatling guns and missile launchers>

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Desperado Bones posted:

Doean't the no killing rule comes from a few comics and BtAS? Now that I look at it nearly all his live action versions he kills.

I wanna say Bale's Batman avoids killing before "letting" Ra's Al Ghul die? But its been awhile.

I can't remember if Keaton or Clooney killed freely. I think most Batmen settle on "sometimes you gotta kill in the heat of battle" but the the part people yell and scream about is whether he's killing random goons on the street. Its like the difference between Punisher and Daredevil.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Keaton literally stuck a bomb to someone and threw them in a ditch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Keaton throws a joker goon down the middle of the stair tower at the end of 89, and it’d be a drat miracle if he survived that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

The_Doctor posted:

Keaton throws a joker goon down the middle of the stair tower at the end of 89, and it’d be a drat miracle if he survived that.

How much metal was in the goons blood though?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Lid posted:

I tried to make the connection, but I don't remember any part of Iron Man 3 besides the very ending. It's only slightly less forgettable than Thor 2.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mike the TV posted:

I tried to make the connection, but I don't remember any part of Iron Man 3 besides the very ending. It's only slightly less forgettable than Thor 2.

Extremis is some real Massive Dynamics poo poo.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Speaking of extremis, whatever happened to AIM? They were just in that Iron Man movie and there hasn't been anything about them since, was kinda hoping to see MODOK in the MCU at some point.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

“I don’t kill!” <outfits car with many Gatling guns and missile launchers>

I actually really like the Affleck/Snyder Batman who is at the end of a long career and doesn't really believe they've managed to change anything and is still fighting but no longer cares at all if the bad guys get hurt or die. It feels like the natural place someone who tried to be Batman for 20 years would end up, as opposed to the happy ending that Bale gets.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Xachariah posted:

Speaking of extremis, whatever happened to AIM? They were just in that Iron Man movie and there hasn't been anything about them since, was kinda hoping to see MODOK in the MCU at some point.

Gonna be a Hulu show which I assume is canon? Everything is canon now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNQkdIeUbvQ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Black Widow the Movie is now relevant to this thread.

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1374430317650448389

Also Disney is saying that FatWS is their most watched premiere ever. Given that it's more of a traditional Marvel movie, it doesn't surprise me that it beat WV.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Xachariah posted:

I could see them doing an MCU MODOK as some version of Arnim Zola. The big face just being a large screen, with some small manipulator arms below it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

zoux posted:

Shame to hear it's been pushed back again, but I'm glad it'll actually be accessible.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

zoux posted:

Also Disney is saying that FatWS is their most watched premiere ever. Given that it's more of a traditional Marvel movie, it doesn't surprise me that it beat WV.

I think word of mouth on WV spurred an increase in subscribers that would result in the increased viewership.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

GigaPeon posted:

Gonna be a Hulu show which I assume is canon? Everything is canon now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNQkdIeUbvQ

Oh that looks fun, it would be great to see MODOK in live action MCU as well at some point, especially if he's played by Patton Oswalt.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

That's literally his arc in the Snyder movies

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Desperado Bones posted:

It comes from the cartoon yeah, nobody really gave a poo poo until the cartoons effectively defined him for generations

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Terror Sweat posted:

It comes from the cartoon yeah, nobody really gave a poo poo until the cartoons effectively defined him for generations

It comes from Batman #4. That's from 1940.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

The_Doctor posted:

Not to mention driving through a chemical factory guns-a-blazin' and then blowing the whole thing up. It would be a miracle if no one was killed there.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah one of the things you have to roll with superhero media is kind of the hosed up things that happen to henchmen getting either killed or beaten the poo poo out of when it could just be they are doing the job due to poverty (people really love to use this when it comes to Batman)

The Venture Bros leaned into this trope with Brock Samson for comedic effect. He’s basically a lawnmower for inept henchmen.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Xachariah posted:

Oh that looks fun, it would be great to see MODOK in live action MCU as well at some point, especially if he's played by Patton Oswalt.

but as which Koenig brother?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Terror Sweat posted:

That's literally his arc in the Snyder movies

Actually his arc in the Synder movies is that he USED to be good, became a psycho out of despair and needs to RElearn how to be good.

To bad those movies suck and tell that story so badly.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I love all the "but actually that's his arc"

No, that's part of the intent of his arc. Tell a story badly and it doesn't really matter, especially when the rest of the universe remains too-serious nonsense. Try it instead with someone young like Robert Pattinson and end up in a place more like Neal Adams' version where Batman is a globetrotting adventurer with a sense of humor about himself, but still willing to have gothic and angst drama when appropriate.

Nodosaur posted:

It comes from Batman #4. That's from 1940.
Also Frank Miller popularized it after the end of The Dark Knight Returns and (I think) Year One, codified by Alan Moore's Killing Joke. That and the grim n' gritty 90s was when Batman really started to jerk himself off regularly about the "no kill" thing.

Xachariah posted:

Got to feel a little bad for Rainn Wilson though. Dude was angling for that part publicly for a bit. Honestly got to feel for nearly any actor who was hot poo poo in the early/mid-10s trying to break into the MCU. Fancasts always include loads of those people because they're already publicly known, but time and again Marvel's casting directors are wise enough to snag people who are up-and-coming or established-but-not-"big" who can both lock into long contracts and won't demand extreme salaries with a few exceptions (Scarlett Johansson being the most notable), and they're usually on the much younger side.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 23, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also, a pretty common thing for Batman in the comics is that he uses his money as Bruce Wayne to help the city. He funds Arkham and Blackgate to be modern, comfortable, healthy places. He has an across the board policy for Wayne Industries to hire ex-convicts so they don’t have to go and work for the gangs and mobs and super-criminals after they’re out. I think at least once or twice he straight up hired Frieze to work on cryogenics (usually in stories with defined endings) and he supported Edward Nygma’s detective agency. The problem then becomes the status quo is god, where comic books cannot change because everyone wants to tell their version of the story.

The idea he doesn’t use every method at his disposal to fight crime is one uniquely from the movies, or the comics where the point is that he’s a broken monster. It’s honestly kind of frustrating how often the comments are that Batman only goes out to beat up the homeless and mentally ill and all that, because the stories where he does spend time as Bruce Wayne trying to fix Gotham with money aren’t action stories, they tend to be backgrounds for whatever new villains are showing up, like the Court of Owls. The Court of Owls should absolutely be in a movie about Bruce trying to fix Gotham with his money because they’re explicitly a bunch of equally rich people who want Gotham to be a shithole.

There are plenty of versions of Batman who use Bruce Wayne for good, it’s just never in the movies except I guess the Nolan ones and it’s barely in the Nolan movies.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 23, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Famous Marvel characters Batman and Flash

e:. I kid, but reading some of the posts in the various threads discussing ZSJL and uhh I guess some people are real starved for entertainment a year in

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I don't remember anything about Batman not wanting to kill people, I thought he just doesn't use a gun

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Famous Marvel characters Batman and Flash

e:. I kid, but reading some of the posts in the various threads discussing ZSJL and uhh I guess some people are real starved for entertainment a year in

To be honest I actually thought this was the general comic book movie thread when I posted that. To turn this into actual Marvel discussion. Iron Man is never really portrayed as spending his money in the way Batman does on humanitarian efforts, global sometimes but rarely local, and usually it’s more about technology advancement.

I guess what I’m saying is one of the legitimate failures of the MCU in my mind is technological propagation being visible, the Arc Reactors should be in way more places than they are and that’s an actual shame.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I don’t know if Patton Oswalt could be MODOK in MCU, they had him as a sleazy bar owner in the latest season of agents of shield.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Patton Oswalt's literal first question when he got cast in Agents of Shield was "Am I Modok?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

howe_sam posted:

Patton Oswalt's literal first question when he got cast in Agents of Shield was "Am I Modok?"

fun fact, the AOS showrunners said in an interview around the time the finale aired that they did have plans for MODOK at one point, but Marvel Studios pulled rank and they ultimately weren't allowed to use him. not sure when/where in the show's run this would have been though