Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

C-SPAN Caller posted:

The worst part is the more you mine the worse your game lag is going to be in that area, so you're incentivized to put your quarry very far away, but that also makes it a pain in the rear end to haul it.

Stone really needs a rebalance, it's already a pain in the rear end to use.

You can take stone through portals, it's not really that annoying to get in bulk. I cheated in some to start a project cause I thought it would be a pain to mine but in the end it's easy to get tons of stone (and wood for the kilns) just moving a portal around in the black forest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Trivia posted:

Let me pay money to something to recover my body.

Hollow Knight did it and it worked great.

More gold sinks are always welcome to be honest.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Honestly, just preserve your worlds natural beauty and console in rocks for your projects, there is no challenge in mining a bunch of rocks besides the challenge of having the time to waste and tolerance for the tedium of it.

That's actually why I'm working on my current project. I didn't want to disturb the natural beauty of the big islands, so I'm making my own place out of a very small island in the ocean.

How it started:

How it's going:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Post your finished work because that looks really awesome.

Also a question, what exactly is an "instance"? Wandering around the world, the number of naturally occurring instances ranges from 2500 to like 9000 in an area, even in places I've never been.

Does building in a 2500 area basically guarantee less lag in the current game state?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Also a question, what exactly is an "instance"? Wandering around the world, the number of naturally occurring instances ranges from 2500 to like 9000 in an area, even in places I've never been.

Does building in a 2500 area basically guarantee less lag in the current game state?

My original plan was to have the island surrounded by stone stairs descending in to the watery abyss, but with my greydwarf farm going offline I don't see myself farming up that much stone. I may just break down and spawn a bunch since it's just an aesthetic choice anyways.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Pleasantly surprised by how many mods work without modding the server. Got some real QOL stuff going now. I can recycle old gear for half the mats, I can gobble up trophies for small skill bumps, and my exploration radius scales with my Run skill. Little things, but they’ve filed off just enough friction to keep me hooked.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Also can you reduce the number of instances by cutting down all the trees and digging up the rocks? Or does that ADD instances?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Pleasantly surprised by how many mods work without modding the server. Got some real QOL stuff going now. I can recycle old gear for half the mats, I can gobble up trophies for small skill bumps, and my exploration radius scales with my Run skill. Little things, but they’ve filed off just enough friction to keep me hooked.

Whoa, trophies for skill points makes so much sense.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

They can still do that and nothing the devs have done so far will address this at all?

It doesn't stop it for sure, and they haven't addressed the whole portal glitching thing, but making it harder and having a banner to say "you are playing this wrong dingus" should cut down on that.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Having a troll do all your Black Forest strip mining is the way to go.

Plus about 800 more stone, four stacks of copper ore, and enough core wood to build a new World Tree just from one go.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 23, 2021

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Gort posted:

Whoa, trophies for skill points makes so much sense.

It’s a decently minimal mod too. Just a dll. The skill is picked randomly, and rarer trophies give bigger boosts. You “eat” them like food, but I’ve been making myself “sacrifice” them when I get back to my base’s weird altar thing cuz that seems more ~immersive~.

Helps shore up your weak skills like Swim, too.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Sixto Lezcano posted:

It’s a decently minimal mod too. Just a dll. The skill is picked randomly, and rarer trophies give bigger boosts. You “eat” them like food, but I’ve been making myself “sacrifice” them when I get back to my base’s weird altar thing cuz that seems more ~immersive~.

Helps shore up your weak skills like Swim, too.

Listen learning to swim through panic drowning due to chitin greed on a sunken leviathan is the real viking way to learn

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

As for things taking 50 seconds to fix, perhaps they could take other 50 second chunk of time to fix their awful netcode which has been modded by amateurs to allow for much greater flow of traffic, with only minor edits that would take less than 50 seconds to implement.

I thought that's what this was, from the release notes:

quote:

* Better network bandwidth handling (should work better on low bandwidth connections & also use higher data rate if possible)

What network performance are you seeing after the patch? Were you using a mod that did something other than raise the data rate? I don't have a busy enough server to see if it spikes above the old threshold at the moment, and I haven't looked with dnSpy to see how they're handling it now.

As an aside, it's much easier to make a little tweak in a mod/dnSpy that "seems to work" in most conditions than it is to change the networking behaviour of something that will affect all players in all scenarios. Getting flow rate right for servers as well as peer-to-peer cases isn't trivial, and I'm not surprised that they took some time to ship it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Fun fact: Logging out and logging back in refills your stamina. Never drown again!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

rydiafan posted:

Fun fact: Logging out and logging back in refills your stamina. Never drown again!

It also gets rid of poison if you're in a bad spot without healing potions.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

In extremely simplified terms, 'instances' are just things the game has to track and remember. That includes naturally occurring things like enemies, trees, etc but it also means every item you build, every piece of construction you place, and yes: every single terrain block you've ever modified.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Some of these changes do not bode well for the future of the game IMO. The devs seem pretty hell bent on preventing people from having fun in ways they don't like. I don't use the console for anything other than modding and I have never harpooned a boss or created a Greydwarf toaster but why would the devs feel the need to dedicate time and resources, to "fixing" those? Why make the hammer and cultivator have delays? Just, why?

They just sold millions of copies of their game and this is the stuff they are prioritizing? Not good.

Yeah, agreed. Campfires/etc taking damage when they deal damage makes no sense except from a "gently caress your fun" perspective.

e. just tried deconstructing a world gen building and the delay feels AWFUL

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 23, 2021

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

If you were using campfires around a Greydwarf spawner to gather stone, why not just console in the stone?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Because one is a clever use of tools within the game and one is cheating?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Not wild about the changes but this patch definitely feels like the sort of bugfixes you hand to the programmer while the rest of the team is occupied (again: small team that nearly doubled in size in the past month).

Wonder why they added the cultivator/hammer delay. Was there a problem with combat engineering?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Hah when I saw that change I just thought "neat they modeled trampling the fire"

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
While on some levels I get wanting to preserve their vision for the game or their artistic integrity or whatever, I think you need to put a bit more effort into changing course when your game absolutely blows up overnight. The fact that it’s a unity game that has already seen a huge amount of community mod support points to it not actually being that difficult to add new things.

The game has no micro transactions, so there’s really no incentive for them to maintain players, but I expect to see the game get left behind pretty quickly and build up some negative sentiment if their approach to content drops is “well we fixed comfort calculations and then for our first big content release we added some new statues and food recipes”.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

toadee posted:

If you were using campfires around a Greydwarf spawner to gather stone, why not just console in the stone?

It's the difference between working a summer job as a teenager to afford something you really want, and being born into luxury with parents that buy you anything.

One way, you invest time and effort and it feels meaningful. The other way, you type some words and are cheated of that experience.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 23, 2021

Woden
May 6, 2006
So campfires are now inline with sharp stakes, at least you get the stone back when you decon them.

Cultivation is still bearable but I have no idea why they changed it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Ambaire posted:

It's the difference between working a summer job as a teenager to afford something you really want, and being born into luxury with parents that buy you anything.

One way, you invest time and effort and it feels meaningful. The other way, you type some words and are cheated of that experience.

I mean, building a campfire trap around a spawner is such an obvious mechanical exploit it's the same thing as the console command you just have to wait longer. Like it's very clear that the intention was never "well you could use a campfire to just kill things infinitely for infinite resources". The summer job as a teenager is going out and killing them yourself. One is just taking advantage of an oversight to get something that wasn't intended under normal circumstances, and the other is just admitting that you want to get something that wasn't intended under normal circumstances.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Xand_Man posted:

Not wild about the changes but this patch definitely feels like the sort of bugfixes you hand to the programmer while the rest of the team is occupied (again: small team that nearly doubled in size in the past month).

Wonder why they added the cultivator/hammer delay. Was there a problem with combat engineering?

My best guess on the delay is it was causing issues with large actions like huge stone walls going up in just a second or two. Or, judging from this thread, the devs hate us, hate their game and want us all to suffer :banjo:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

toadee posted:

I mean, building a campfire trap around a spawner is such an obvious mechanical exploit it's the same thing as the console command you just have to wait longer. Like it's very clear that the intention was never "well you could use a campfire to just kill things infinitely for infinite resources". The summer job as a teenager is going out and killing them yourself. One is just taking advantage of an oversight to get something that wasn't intended under normal circumstances, and the other is just admitting that you want to get something that wasn't intended under normal circumstances.

*looks at spawner exploitation in Minecraft*

Or afk farms in Terraria.

Maybe think again about what you just said? Just seems like clever gameplay to me.

fennesz posted:

My best guess on the delay is it was causing issues with large actions like huge stone walls going up in just a second or two. Or, judging from this thread, the devs hate us, hate their game and want us all to suffer :banjo:

Then maybe make the delay proportional to the size of the object de/constructed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fennesz posted:

It could be a network thing too, keep people from flooding out a shitton of terraforming updates every second when running around making roads.

Or maybe the devs hate us. Unless they explain the reason it's all guesses! :v:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

I need more stories. What is the most harrowing thing you've lived through? Tell me about the time trolls destroyed your base. I really love all the stories you get from playing the game.

The first time me and my friends left our island was on a raft, and we went off on the ocean looking for the Elder, which was some ways from our base.

Then we ran into some troubles

Mind you, we all played completely blind, and one of us just casually said "Hey, I thought I saw something over the waves?" and we just laughed at him, "Yeah, right!"

Then the serpent appeared in the middle of a storm and we nearly crapped our pants. "I told you I saw something!!!1" he said.

We managed to shipwreck over a small swamp island which turned out to be quite a bit tougher than we expected. The poison, leeches, blobs, draugrs and skeletons made quick work of my friends, but I miraculously managed to survive and stayed there until they managed to build a new raft and sail to my rescue. On the second go another one of us died, so we ended up building a portal on the edge of the island (which turned out to be just a small cape edging out to a black forest island) and ran for our stuff from there.

Needless to say, taught us some respect towards the swamp biome!

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 23, 2021

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

TeaJay posted:

The first time me and my friends left our island was on a raft, and we went off on the ocean looking for the Elder, which was some ways from our base.

Then we ran into some troubles

Mind you, we all played completely blind, and one of us just casually said "Hey, I thought I saw something over the waves?" and we just laughed at him, "Yeah, right!"

Then the serpent appeared in the middle of a storm and we nearly crapped our pants. "I told you I saw something!!!1" he said.

We managed to shipwreck over a small swamp island which turned out to be quite a bit tougher than we expected. The poison, leeches, blobs, draugrs and skeletons made quick work of my friends, but I miraculously managed to survive and stayed there until they managed to build a new raft and sail to my rescue. On the second go another one of us died, so we ended up building a portal on the edge of the island (which turned out to be just a small cape edging out to a black forest island) and ran for our stuff from there.

Rafts are basically an ocean death sentence, never use rafts unless you absolutely have to, or at least that's what I also learned like you did.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Rafts are basically an ocean death sentence, never use rafts unless you absolutely have to, or at least that's what I also learned like you did.

yeah, they are just deathtraps and their only use is for crossing small channels early on.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Back when we were still working on Black Forests a guy on our server was exploring some coastline and got killed when he got too close to a swamp and tagged by a blob. I went with him to try and recover his body, but I made the mistake of jumping out of the boat and got tagged by a blob myself. Fortunately I realized I was doomed and ran out in to the water as far as I could before I died. He abandoned the boat after recovering his stuff, but died on the way back to the base running along the coast. Later that night the two of us, naked, make the trip back to my original swamp tombstone on a raft, since we had run out of bronze. We get our raft close and get attacked by leeches, so we both jump off the raft when it is about to explode and book it for my tombstone and our original karve, which is still there. He gets swarmed and accepts death to act as bait as I grab my gear and make it in to the boat almost dead myself, but when I grab the rudder I've got a direct headwind. That's when I remember that he has friends that play on another server and he had grabbed the Moder power from that server earlier, so I yell over voice comms for him to use it, which he does, and then dies immediately after it goes off. With my newfound tailwind I am able to outrun the leeches attacking the boat, make it up the coastline to where he died earlier, kill the troll that killed him, wait for him to run down the coast to recover his gear, and we finally make it back to the base with all our stuff.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Bioshuffle posted:

The prospect of dying in a place where body retrieval is impossible is one that gets to me. Earlier today, I was navigating a river when I got beached while surrounded by plains on both sides. A mob of goblins started to swarm me and I thought I was dead. Somehow managed to lay down a workbench, repair, and push ny ship to safety.

Have any of you had to straight up abandon your body with all your gear in it?

Our internet has been periodically going to poo poo because of massive storms and flooding so I decided during one downtime to try and sneak through the plains to get flax on my solo map. I put on my troll leather gear and shipped off to a plains biome and started scouting out the many fuling villages. I ,managed to scout out 2 safely but found no flax. It was very slow going and pretty harrowing but doable. But as I was circling around the third village I got spotted by a deathsting and murdered before I even realized it was there.

My stuff is still there about a week later. I've replaced it all and prob won't go get it until I'm fully geared and grabbing it for a lark. It's DEEP into the plains.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Unless this changed with the latest patch, you don't even need to spawn in 5k stones for your project, enter the console, type "debugmode" sans quotation marks and then exit the console. Hit B and all construction costs are gone, in addition to not needing a crafting table/forge/artisan to make anything. Much faster/easier. Z makes you fly (indispensable for large buildings) and K kills everything in the area so you can work in peace. I prefer to use ghost & god modes for building until something starts attacking my stuff and then I'm mashing K like a mad person.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Phigs posted:

My stuff is still there about a week later. I've replaced it all and prob won't go get it until I'm fully geared and grabbing it for a lark. It's DEEP into the plains.

The only way I've really managed to do plains without any sort of meaningful combat is just Eikthyr and sprinting. And hope when you stop for stamina regeneration there isn't a skeeter there waiting to murder you. (Which they always do)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fennesz posted:

The only way I've really managed to do plains without any sort of meaningful combat is just Eikthyr and sprinting. And hope when you stop for stamina regeneration there isn't a skeeter there waiting to murder you. (Which they always do)

Or do what I did and build the great wall of cowardly vikings.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It was a magical moment when skeeters became a mild annoyance.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

toadee posted:

Building resource generation machines is fun. Pretty much the entire Dwarf Fortress game and the genre it spawned is built around that, after all. Saying "why don't you just cheat in the resources" demonstrates a real fundamental misunderstanding of what people are doing and why they are doing it - especially since most of the "Exploits" are significantly more work than just doing things the "right way". It's not exactly a hard game.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

rydiafan posted:

It was a magical moment when skeeters became a mild annoyance.

When does this happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Rumor on the discord has it that the dev console (or at least devcommands part) will be removed entirely in a coming update.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.