Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

My favorite part of that Show ad is them including Bauer getting owned.

That and the Orioles, of all teams, turning two were definitely the standouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Local news media is excited about the Pirates drafting Kumar Rocker, can't wait for them to waste the best years of his career and trade him for financial considerations.

You cannot tank to win in baseball without also being smart with free agents and international signings, and I don't see the Pirates managing either of those.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Oral history of Randy Johnson obliterating the bird: https://theathletic.com/2460325/

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mollymauk posted:

Oral history of Randy Johnson obliterating the bird: https://theathletic.com/2460325/

That truly is one of the weirdest things to ever happen in baseball. Randy choosing not to take part in it seems weird, especially given this is his logo for his photography company:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
randy was always a strange bird, so to speak.

he seems like the kind of guy who'd be incredible to talk to one on one over a whiskey or two but then is just terribly uninterested in most other forms of human interaction

quote:

Calvin Murray, Giants outfielder: My initial reaction was the ball had exploded. I thought it was a practical joke or something, that he threw some tricked-up exploding baseball. It just took a minute for it to process.

Currigan: Oh my god, that’s outstanding that he thinks the same thing. That’s exactly what I thought. I thought we threw an exploding-ball trick into the game to lighten the mood. It sounds so stupid but it is the truth.

Barajas: I’m doing my normal thing, prepping to catch that ball, and then all of a sudden, the ball disappears. It’s gone. I look in front of me and there’s feathers falling right in front of me. I had no idea what had happened. The runners on base could have run all the way around before I found that baseball.

Chris Speier, Diamondbacks third-base coach: All I remember is just a big puff of feathers that exploded between home plate and the mound. Then everybody realized, “Holy poo poo, he hit a bird.”

Zuniga: It disintegrated the poor thing.

lol

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 23, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I can see Johnson not really wanting to talk about it because IIRC he was upset about it when it happened. Using a dead bird as his photography studio's logo, tho, is great and would mean he's gotten over it at least somewhat.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

habeasdorkus posted:

I can see Johnson not really wanting to talk about it because IIRC he was upset about it when it happened. Using a dead bird as his photography studio's logo, tho, is great and would mean he's gotten over it at least somewhat.

He's probably gotten asked about that bird a thousand times, I'd be sick of it too.

I'd be all about an oral history of the time he made John Kruk poop himself at the All-Star game, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYXTV51GdUs

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 23, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, come to think of it Johnson probably gets asked more about that bird than coming in to win the 7th game of the World Series that very same year.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Randy Johnson was on Effectively Wild a couple years back and literally only wanted to talk about the fine folks at Kingsford Charcoal and their great grills and charcoal products

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

more falafel please posted:

Randy Johnson was on Effectively Wild a couple years back and literally only wanted to talk about the fine folks at Kingsford Charcoal and their great grills and charcoal products

Just imagining that he’s not even getting paid for it, he’s just sincerely enthusiastic and can’t wait to get back to his deck.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Wade Boggs Carpet World
Wade Boggs Carpet World

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Johnson’s just kind of a weird quiet guy who I don’t think does a lot of interviews

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Man, now I just want an interview with Andre Dawson about his funeral home.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, come to think of it Johnson probably gets asked more about that bird than coming in to win the 7th game of the World Series that very same year.

According to Johnson, he gets asked about it "nearly as much", and more often than anyone talks about his Cy Young awards or his perfect game.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Chamale posted:

According to Johnson, he gets asked about it "nearly as much", and more often than anyone talks about his Cy Young awards or his perfect game.

There've been 23 perfect games, there's two Cys Young every year, but only once as far as we know has a very tall man just completely obliterated a dove with a 98 mph four seamer with movement from the left hand side

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If you obliterate a bird with a small sphere made of leather and cork by complete accident in a freak occurrence not seen since, you owe it to the tortured ghost of that bird to talk about the incident at any given opportunity.

Plenty of guys have won Cys and Game 7s, but only one tallboy has exploded a dove.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Man, now I just want an interview with Andre Dawson about his funeral home.
He’s done several. Here is one

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29224947/the-baseball-hall-famer-runs-funeral-home-andre-dawson-second-act

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kirby Yates getting TJS.

also:

https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/1374459215884951552

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

That's really scary. Coworker had the same thing happen - her kid was fine but she broke her ankle into a million pieces and was gone for awhile.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Kirby Yates getting TJS.

Oooooooof.
Hope Romano is ready.

Also Springer has an oblique strain and is questionable for opening day.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Mariners are trying to get me to attend plague games to see the garbage team:

'Your health and safety while at T-Mobile Park is our top priority. This season, you'll find several new protocols designed to reduce touch points including digital tickets, no bags and cashless transactions, as well as a science-based approach to enhanced cleaning. Follow the links below for more information. We'll see you soon!'

Nobody handled tickets directly. They scanned them from a few inches away, the exact same way they will for phones. Bags don't matter when people are already bringing themselves in, it just goes along with banning outside food 'for safety'. I'm sure that the place where the bathrooms got covered in a wall of vomit and piss by the 3rd inning are really going to invest in 'science-based' 'enhanced cleaning.'

gently caress all of the open 'er up poo poo that is going to get people sick, maimed and killed.

Apr 7, 2003

Shiroc posted:

The Mariners are trying to get me to attend plague games to see the garbage team:

'Your health and safety while at T-Mobile Park is our top priority. This season, you'll find several new protocols designed to reduce touch points including digital tickets, no bags and cashless transactions, as well as a science-based approach to enhanced cleaning. Follow the links below for more information. We'll see you soon!'

Nobody handled tickets directly. They scanned them from a few inches away, the exact same way they will for phones. Bags don't matter when people are already bringing themselves in, it just goes along with banning outside food 'for safety'. I'm sure that the place where the bathrooms got covered in a wall of vomit and piss by the 3rd inning are really going to invest in 'science-based' 'enhanced cleaning.'

gently caress all of the open 'er up poo poo that is going to get people sick, maimed and killed.

Pirates are going to stay at 25% despite the expanded capacity state rules because they never draw more than 25% anyway

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Poque posted:

That's really scary. Coworker had the same thing happen - her kid was fine but she broke her ankle into a million pieces and was gone for awhile.

i have a giant scar from 6 stitches right above my eye from 2 months ago when a similar incident led to my eyebrow smacking a drawer

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
intrigued

https://twitter.com/pirates/status/1374487620881948672?s=21

Apr 7, 2003

I'm the Highmark ad in Florida

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Contreras is probably the biggest upside in all the pieces you guys got for Jamo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
seems to be some skepticism he’ll have the endurance for a starter workload but he definitely looks like a valuable pitcher regardless, maybe a backend reliever. exciting

Apr 7, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

seems to be some skepticism he’ll have the endurance for a starter workload but he definitely looks like a valuable pitcher regardless, maybe a backend reliever. exciting

They'll gently caress up his conditioning and trade him for a treadmill and $50

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Poque posted:

As a parent of a small child, I completely understand this and would also contort myself past the injury point to ensure child comes out ok.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They'll gently caress up his conditioning and trade him for a treadmill and $50

I don’t see how they could be bad at trading if you’re worried about what they’ll do with this guy they just traded for lol

Apr 7, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

I don’t see how they could be bad at trading if you’re worried about what they’ll do with this guy they just traded for lol

I'll feel good about him once he's closing games in the majors

I've been a Pirates fan too long to feel good about prospects.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants hit 4 dingers off Zach Plesac, and Logan Webb allowed one hit and struck out 7. Start the season.

TBF Jose Ramirez and Franmil Reyes didn't play and the rest of Cleveland's lineup seems like a bunch of scrubs. Don't see them scoring a lot of runs this year.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ahahaha, holy poo poo, well played.
https://twitter.com/BenHigginsSD/status/1374532220115849216

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:discourse:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Brault is out at least ten weeks :smith:

They’re gonna need somebody to eat those innings. wouldn’t be surprised to see a low-level trade, perhaps bringing Ivan Nova back

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
my god it’s full of stars https://twitter.com/discoturkeys/status/1374724032596164608?s=21

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

That may be the most perfect logo I've ever seen.

Except maybe the Biscuits.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Quit jiiiiivin’ me turkey

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1374572360360202244

Maybe don't give Kershaw your sticky stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
hosed up that as soon as the Dodgers give Bauer a bunch of money the league uses science against him to turn him back into his old league average self