Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
It can't be overstated that along with gross sexism, there was a near complete removal of PoC in the Whedon cut.

edit: lol great snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Fun fact! When whedon told them to do the falling into tits gag Gal Gadot refused to have any part of it, and when her stunt double also expressed dislike Whedon’s response was to drag the double into a room off-set and scream at her for a half a loving hour about how if she didn’t do the scene he’d ruin her career.

If he isn't already, Whedon'll be helping JKRowling ghostwrite her books in a month.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Glinner will be eating the scraps under Rowling's table at dinnertime.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Starting to get the feeling that Superman might be dead

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Oh my god he unironically says "I'm in"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fun fact! When whedon told them to do the falling into tits gag Gal Gadot refused to have any part of it, and when her stunt double also expressed dislike Whedon’s response was to drag the double into a room off-set and scream at her for a half a loving hour about how if she didn’t do the scene he’d ruin her career.

reading all that poo poo and then remembering whedon getting loud and upset of dumb sex jokes in other dumb big budget movies makes me amused yet weirdly angry. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joss-whedon-slams-jurassic-world-787998

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

loving insane that Whedon cut out the movies entire emotional core

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

for all the jokes and candy color Joss threw into the movie his version ends up feeling a lot more miserable and cynical than Snyder's "grimdark" version. the endpoint of the emotional journey of bringing the team together is frivolous workplace disfunction where everyone is just barely able to tolerate each other.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 23, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Augus posted:

for all the jokes and candy color Joss threw into the movie his version ends up feeling a lot more miserable and cynical than Snyder's "grimdark" version. the endpoint of the emotional journey of bringing the team together is frivolous workplace disfunction where everyone is just barely able to tolerate each other.

Yep, that's a Marvel Avengers movie alright.

oh wait poo poo you were talking about Justice League

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

but Flash's actor was OK with it? :chloe:

Would his career have been ruined? Note that even though Whedon was in the process of becoming persona non grata while making the movie, he still ruined Cyborg's actor as he had threatened to do, even though Warner did a big public "investigation" that completed Whedon's fall and blacklisted him for good.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Why won't this end

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You have to watch all the content. It is the penance.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That's not a fun fact!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

but Flash's actor was OK with it? :chloe:

As we know now, Ezra Miller has his own problems with women.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I watched it.

Official thread take no disagreeing: it's fine I guess, some good fight scenes, should be shorter.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

called it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that's the correct take anyways. the real point as always is that whedon loving sucks

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

I watched it.

Official thread take no disagreeing: it's fine I guess, some good fight scenes, should be shorter.

I would sit down in Premiere and do 3 hour cut if not for the fact that it would get me landed in jail.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

its weird like half the fight scenes are totally fine and the other half are floaty garbage

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

I've had fun dunking on Whedon for years because I don't like his work but this is so goddamn unsettling. :stare:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the era where joss whedon was a woke feminist everyone respected and if you made fun of him you were sexist was such a hosed up time for society

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

If nothing else Snyder should be celebrated because him stepping down from the film led to Whedons career being torched to the loving ground like it so richly deserved.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

McCloud posted:

He's not just a comic relief character though, he's the audience stand in to whom the Wakandians explain things to (and by extension whom we relate to), and who has a big heroic sacrifice moment where he uses a drone to murder black revolutionaries. Like that part always gets me, THAT was the best way to have him make himself useful?!

It's also worth remembering that in the comics, Ross was a state department employee, so changing it so he's CIA is a real :thunk: moment

Nah, it's just another case of the MCU trying to have it both ways. Keep in mind, Killmonger is also (nominally ex-)CIA, So they're trying to do a "westernization has completely hosed people up, but The Good Ones can still try to help fix it if they're properly educated!!" kinda thing. Very Obama-era neoliberal as mentioned upthread.
I mean, compare Michael Bay's works 10-15 years ago and you can see where someone raised on those might not register the comparatively subtle "DoD approved nuance" nature of the MCU.
The main reason it stands out more in the MCU (aside from a large group of people analyzing it more intensely due to various reasons) is because... uh well a significant percentage of total large-budget movies period are MCU movies now. They make more full tilt blockbusters each year than WB and Universal and anyone else combined.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endorph posted:

the era where joss whedon was a woke feminist everyone respected and if you made fun of him you were sexist was such a hosed up time for society

Right? I remember when mentioning "hey, isn't it weird Buffy's a teenager and a guy decades older than her is her first sexual experience?" brought out the pitchforks and torches.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Comic books in general just seem better suited to TV because of the serialized format. Sure keep a big tent pole movie for a crossover mega event but with the way Disney has been dragging their properties into weekly streaming with big success I'd love to see more comic book adaptations switch to television.

So this is from a few pages back but I really wanted to talk about it because I've got the vague script for an actual video discussing this very fact kicking about my head but here goes the short version:

I think that some heroes work better on Film and some work better as series and it kinda comes down to a sense of scale. To demonstrate, I'll use my two favourite heroes: Superman and Spider-Man.

Superman is a big fuckin hoss who's powers mean that he is regularly up against world ending threats. Like, pitching him versus Darkseid is not a particularly rare match-up, and his most notorious villain sets are all pretty much world enders. That's a sense of scale that lends itself to a traditional three act structure with a big climax as he defeats the villain du jour and stops the world from ending. If Superman properly loses, the world is hosed (as seen in Justice League maybe idk i never watched any of them)

Spider-Man on the other hand has a distinctly more low-level scale. He's strong, agile, has the Spider-Senses but beyond that he's not full on World Saver Tier (outside of crossover events, obviously.) This also extends to his villains: If The Shocker, or The Kingpin, or Tombstone get away with their plan, pull one over on Spidey and succeed, what happens? New York gets a little crappier, a douchebag makes a lot of money and the world keeps turning. And that's the key thing here, and to be honest why Homecoming succeeded while Far From Home didn't hit the mark quite as well.

When faced against a truly equal threat, if Superman loses the world is hosed, and that's perfect for a movie. If Spider-Man loses, he can go home, lick his wounds, learn a lesson and come back next episode to try and fix what he broke, which is perfect for television.

So, in essence, what I'm saying is give me a goddamn good long-form Spider-Man TV show so I don't have to keep just re-watching Spectacular Spider-Man over and over again.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I found the plot of Far From Home tasteless because they try to mine humour out of a teenager who is given a killer drone army. It doesn't matter if he's supposed to be a good guy. You can't be a good guy when you have the Hydra weapon from Winter Soldier at your beck and call.

The appeal of Spider Man as the independent working-class underdog is eroded entirely when he has a billionaire benefactor. It also doesn't help that this came six months after The Seminal Spidey movie, Into the Spiderverse.

That same year Tom Holland was in a movie where Will Smith turns into a pigeon. It had the same villain plot as Far From Home but it honestly dealt with the same subject matter far more maturely. It also had a surprisingly amount of male nudity for an animated kids movie.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

the final twenty minutes of the Snyder cut is actually the most annoyed I've ever been at a superhero film

If you lop that off it's still rushing a lot of the emotions in key scenes and has a lot of stuff that could be cut or shortened and make the overall package hit harder, but some of the action scenes have a great tug-of-war feel to them, Cyborg is compelling and a good moral center of the movie(mostly), Jason Mamoa is fun, and Steppenwolf actually works really well.

Not worth the four hours tho.

e: oh and the cinematography in most dialogue scenes is unmotivated shot-reverse shot ad nauseum. Come on Snyder you're better than that.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 23, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah, i am gonna say it, i am not surprised and kinda saw it coming at all that he ended up being a gross monster and i am glad his career is over.

CmdrKing posted:

Nah, it's just another case of the MCU trying to have it both ways. Keep in mind, Killmonger is also (nominally ex-)CIA, So they're trying to do a "westernization has completely hosed people up, but The Good Ones can still try to help fix it if they're properly educated!!" kinda thing. Very Obama-era neoliberal as mentioned upthread.

i always saw killmonger as the dude who got hosed by both of his homes. he was born in the US and as a black man, well, you can take it from there and his dad was killed infront of him by for trying to even the playing field by his weird isolationist brother. so he goes full doomer and wants to burn it all down while using Wakanda as fortress factory. he has the right idea but he isnt really doing it for the good reasons or for a better outcome outside "idk throw some terrorists/rebels/randos laser weapons and see how it goes". yeah its a mixed movie but thats just my read.

BFC posted:

the final twenty minutes of the Snyder cut is actually the most annoyed I've ever been at a superhero film

If you lop that off it's still rushing a lot of the emotions in key scenes and has a lot of stuff that could be cut or shortened and make the overall package hit harder, but some of the action scenes have a great tug-of-war feel to them, Cyborg is compelling and a good moral center of the movie(mostly), Jason Mamoa is fun, and Steppenwolf actually works really well.

Not worth the four hours tho.

e: oh and the cinematography in most dialogue scenes is unmotivated shot-reverse shot ad nauseum. Come on Snyder you're better than that.

yeah, i was surprised how solid steppenwolf was. i kinda don't like darkseid as some big brute though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the goofy friendly CIA guy who gets nothing more than playful jabs about the organization's vile history of colonialism and then helps save the day in the end is a real red mark on the film
much like the fact that they made a film with far from home's plot and DIDN'T have it end with someone destroying the loving war crime glasses jesus

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 23, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Augus posted:

the goofy friendly CIA guy who gets nothing more than playful jabs about the organization's vile history of colonialism and then helps save the day in the end is a real red mark on the film

yeah. i think it would have worked better as a SHIELD/whatever agent but thats just me.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Joss Whedon is a giant piece of poo poo, but I can't bring myself to stop loving Angel.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i have zero interest in actually watching the snyder cut, but i am extremely into the idea of directors being given more free reign and allowed to create shamelessly indulgent movies. i'm not paying to see the vision of what some suit at WB thinks will sell to the statistical greatest amount of people, i want to see what the people they hired are trying to make!! i want to see them go off their shits and go hog wild!!

i don't think snyder has, in the grandest scheme of things, anything new he's bringing to the table (and most artists do not, and that's fine), but the fact that he was given the opportunity to do whatever he wanted, ran with it and didn't look back is really admirable. i hope he kicked the door down for more people

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
A neat video about emotionally manipulative music cues in documentaries and reality tv.
Tantacrul-"Stock Music & Reality TV - How to Misrepresent the World"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G77ev9pks4I

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
remember when Whedon got famous for a schlock joint where the woman main character constantly fucks up specifically because of Volatile Female Emotions and can't help but try her best to have romantic feelings for abusive monsters?

feminist icon

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bleck posted:

remember when Whedon got famous for a schlock joint where the woman main character constantly fucks up specifically because of Volatile Female Emotions and can't help but try her best to have romantic feelings for abusive monsters?

feminist icon

Lmao oh my god Joss was the soulless vampire all along

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

RareAcumen posted:

When's the last time a movie was fantastic? I don't see many so I'm still assuming that's Mad Max: Fury Road.

The Favourite

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm watching Quinton's most recent video and I can't believe there are two YouTubers that talk like this. There's a true crime guy that has the same obnoxious cadence.

edit: wtf the guy CHANGED his voice to be so annoying

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

McCloud posted:

Lmao oh my god Joss was the soulless vampire all along
Hey now Buffy did have some dumb normal boyfriend in between the two vampires!
For some reason he never got as popular.

(I did like Angel, but the backstage stuff and the constant fridging has soured me on it a lot unfortunately.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Buffy stuff is of its time. It was clever and good for the turn of the century, but was a transitional form at best. Even during Angel’s final season, I couldn’t help thinking at some points that it seemed kind of old-fashioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
When it comes to Whedon stuff, I rather just watch shows showrunned by his brother since Agents of Shield turned out to be really decent and does a lot of Whedonisms except none of the gross poo poo Joss did on and off his shows/movies