Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My mom had a 3rd gen Prius for a few years. It was fine if you're used to econocars but she had owned a C5 Audi A6 Avant before that and thus hated the Prius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
she must have been very confused by the concept of not being on the dealer's christmas card list

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My mom had a 3rd gen Prius for a few years. It was fine if you're used to econocars but she had owned a C5 Audi A6 Avant before that and thus hated the Prius.

I'd love to compare the total cost of ownership for these two automobiles at the 250k mile mark :-)

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

I'd love to compare the total cost of ownership for these two automobiles at the 250k mile mark :-)

I worked with some Audi owners and used to joke about everything costing multiples of $600 to fix. Window switch died? $600. New front brakes? $1200

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I worked with some Audi owners and used to joke about everything costing multiples of $600 to fix. Window switch died? $600. New front brakes? $1200

I have a fellow video game exec who has a Prius with over 300k miles and a ‘96 Camry with 450k+ miles.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

As a former c5 A6 owner I didn’t have a car that came close until my 2017 Volt, a car 15 years newer. Had to get rid of it though because I was poor and it needed new control arms and the timing belt was due, a process that involved taking off the front end of the car. And this was just at 100k miles.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

The Bolt seems like a good car given the prices of everything else right now. Is that a correct assumption?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I've only had mine for 6 months but I'm pretty happy with mine :shrug:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jimong5 posted:

As a former c5 A6 owner I didn’t have a car that came close until my 2017 Volt, a car 15 years newer. Had to get rid of it though because I was poor and it needed new control arms and the timing belt was due, a process that involved taking off the front end of the car. And this was just at 100k miles.
Yup i owned one as well and have posted quite a few times about the horror story that car was, but I have never loved driving a car more.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
The Bolt is a great car especially if you don't need to fast charge often. The EA network isn't quite where it needs to be for my driving, but it's getting there. 50kW isn't great, but it's good. At a sub $20k price point it's a no brainer if you want a full EV. Biggest things that suck about it are it not having adaptive cruise (huge, for me) and (lack of) semiautonomous driving - I'd just skip the lane keep and poo poo entirely, it's useless.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Yup i owned one as well and have posted quite a few times about the horror story that car was, but I have never loved driving a car more.

Nostalgia for that car has me really wanting a Q4 when it comes out. Except for that stupid loving middle cup holder, gently caress that thing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Calculating margins is always a bit of a shell game anyway depending on what costs you include. I think it's at minimum a naive analysis considering Audi's gross margin percentage per ICE unit is probably twice that of Renault, and ICE profit in $ terms is probably 4x Renault. The Zoe's ICE equivalent is the Clio, which although popular is not a high margin vehicle. I bet Audi EVs are making Clio-size margins today, especially if you bury all the MEB costs in VW Group development budgets.

The Zoe has a battery lease scheme as well, which should help Renault's profitability. But the point of comparison - the Zoe vs a Clio and Audi vs. Audi - is the right one to make.

also the Audi isn't on MEB, but on MLB apparently. Taycan is on MSB.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

harperdc posted:

But the point of comparison - the Zoe vs a Clio and Audi vs. Audi - is the right one to make.

The article claims that Renault is doing better than Audi because the Zoe makes lovely Clio margins, and goes on to imply that Renault's business model is better. The Zoe has been on the market since 2012, it drat well better be closer to program profitability than a car that has sold zero units.

edit: also, Q4 e-tron is MEB

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 24, 2021

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

NitroSpazzz posted:

Biggest downside to the i3 is the tires which are specific to the vehicle, only a couple offered and seem to last 10-12k maximum at a cost of $700-800 a set. Interior is strange but nice and the seats are surprisingly comfortable at least for running around town. They drive fairly decent but are loud on the interstate. I've been happy with my 2014.

I've had a BMW M3 before so the surprisingly expensive tires thing isn't new to me, but that's great feedback.

Do adults fit comfortably in the back?

This will be a 2nd car for errands around town - we have another for longer trips or carrying more stuff.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I hate this

https://mobile.twitter.com/hsumacher/status/1374585378988953601

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Huh, so what's wrong with a stalk? I mean it's not a cost consideration, right? This is the S/X. So its like esthetics, or prep for self driving, or what exactly?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's definitely a cost consideration, just because a car's expensive doesn't mean you won't look for ways to take six bucks out of it provided the customer doesn't care, and I bet a lot of Tesla intenders think this is cool

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I would bet it's 20% cost and 80% driven by the company/ceo's need to project some sense of futurism and full automation (while the lawyers say haha oh of course our cars are not self driving). And judging by the replies the fanboys are already eating it up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

when you can do both simultaneously you gotta take it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
At least now you won't be able to drive it when the screen inevitably shits itself

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Supposedly there are capacitive buttons for D and R somewhere too. Neutral is in a submenu (eh). What about park? What if you have a car with creep enabled?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I'm more worried about designers from other companies looking at that and going "poo poo! poo poo!!! That's genius!" and seeing similar in other cars.

Like at least I can just not buy a model S/X.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
I know that there is at least one Taycan owner here and was wondering if anyone has any longish term impressions they could share. I'm on my 5th Tesla and getting rather bored of them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Here's the Ioniq 5 shifter -- seems like the BMW i3?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvGFL8yb9dM&t=387s
Also watch the whole video if you want to see more of the car. (Hands on begins at 2:37)

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Can’t wait to have nothing happen to Tesla after someone runs over grandma because the touch screen didn’t process the swipe correctly.

Seriously, gently caress Tesla for taking something simple and making it as complicated as possible.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Charles posted:

Supposedly there are capacitive buttons for D and R somewhere too. Neutral is in a submenu (eh). What about park? What if you have a car with creep enabled?

”Electrek” posted:

In the document obtained in Janauary, Tesla told employees that the new Model S and Model X would also have a more traditional way of changing gears through force touch buttons located on the center console.

However, some prototypes spotted in the wild had those buttons and others didn’t.

Also, this is really just a backup to magical, omni-capable neural net selecting your drive direction for you.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 25, 2021

Blinkz
Oct 8, 2008

Its Happening! posted:

The Bolt seems like a good car given the prices of everything else right now. Is that a correct assumption?

I just bought a new fully loaded LT for 22.5k after taxes titles and fees. I used the chevy 8.5k cash, the extra 1k given, a 1.2k deduction for already having another chevy (volt), 3k deduction from a Costco coupon, an edu Frontline worker discount, and they gave me 1.5k for my Gen 2 2008 prius. All said and done I feel like I got a good deal.

There is no doubt that it's an econocar and that your paying the premium to drive an electric car today. Baffling things include no rear center arm rest in the lt, no rubber pad for the dead pedal spot, excessive plastic panels, and less rear cargo space compared to the old prius. Despite these slight flaws I think this car is excellent for under 24k but way too much if priced above 30k. The acceleration is amazing, the car handles well, and the range is excellent.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

Here's the Ioniq 5 shifter -- seems like the BMW i3?

Also watch the whole video if you want to see more of the car. (Hands on begins at 2:37)

gently caress I really like the Ioniq 5, I knew I bought an EV a year too early. 33k USD isn't bad at all for the long range model. I guess I'll wait and see what the teething issues are but it's damned tempting, ticks all of my boxes and has more storage than my Model 3.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Blinkz posted:

I just bought a new fully loaded LT for 22.5k after taxes titles and fees. I used the chevy 8.5k cash, the extra 1k given, a 1.2k deduction for already having another chevy (volt), 3k deduction from a Costco coupon, an edu Frontline worker discount, and they gave me 1.5k for my Gen 2 2008 prius. All said and done I feel like I got a good deal.

There is no doubt that it's an econocar and that your paying the premium to drive an electric car today. Baffling things include no rear center arm rest in the lt, no rubber pad for the dead pedal spot, excessive plastic panels, and less rear cargo space compared to the old prius. Despite these slight flaws I think this car is excellent for under 24k but way too much if priced above 30k. The acceleration is amazing, the car handles well, and the range is excellent.

I agree with everything you said. But! I really like the plastic, weirdly enough. The pattern and texture is neat

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Westy543 posted:

I'm more worried about executives from other companies looking at that and going "poo poo! poo poo!!! That's genius!" and seeing similar in other cars.

Like at least I can just not buy a model S/X.

Fixed that for you. I don’t think advanced engineering is the place to worry.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

The Gunslinger posted:

33k USD isn't bad at all for the long range model.

Is there official pricing, or is this just speculation based on the fact that the preorder pricing for it was similar to the ID.4 in european countries?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It sounded like that guy just converted it from the Korean price

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

eeenmachine posted:

I know that there is at least one Taycan owner here and was wondering if anyone has any longish term impressions they could share. I'm on my 5th Tesla and getting rather bored of them.

Sup. I've had a 4S since November and have done a bit over 5000km in it, which has mostly been driving up to the mountains to go skiing. It's a wonderful car, though my first EV. It feels like a big downgrade when I ride in my colleague's Model S.

To try and find the negatives, I guess they would be 1) it's expensive and 2) the entertainment system is a bit buggy. The Porsche finance options also completely sucked, compared to Audi. Parts and tyres are really expensive, I got a set of wheels 3rd party but they would be $9k through Porsche. A set of summer tyres is $1.6k.

Positively, it's beautiful inside and out and the driving dynamics are ridiculously good. It's also very fast even in the 4S version and I would find it very hard to justify the additional cost of a Turbo / Turbo S. No quality issues and the dealer experience has been excellent, or maybe commensurate with the cost. Range for me on the flat is 375km, though I tend drive quite fast. Some people report 500km range but this isn't really a car for hypermilers.

My girlfriend gets a bit unnerved because we get videoed by kids as we drive past, and there is no shortage of nice cars in Swiss ski resorts. There's no way she would spend this much on a car but she really loves it. 2 friends are in the process of ordering having been for a spin in mine.

It was basically a done deal as soon as I started driving the Taycan on a test drive. I might have been tempted by an e-tron GT if they had been available and the financing was a sufficient improvement.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I have to take the Golf in for service and there's a Taycan at the Porsche dealer next door. I'm gonna try to test drive it. knox_harrington, if I buy one I'm sending you an invoice.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

knox_harrington posted:

Parts and tyres are really expensive, I got a set of wheels 3rd party but they would be $9k through Porsche. A set of summer tyres is $1.6k.

Jesus... $9k? Are the ones you got 3rd party OEM ones but without the Porsche markup? $1.6k is ok for premium summer tyres (seems to be about the same here).

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 25, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have to take the Golf in for service and there's a Taycan at the Porsche dealer next door. I'm gonna try to test drive it. knox_harrington, if I buy one I'm sending you an invoice.

:rip: enjoy your new Porsche!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Jesus... $9k? Are the ones you got 3rd party OEM ones but without the Porsche markup? $1.6k is ok for premium summer tyres (seems to be about the same here).

Yeah they are new Porsche OEM wheels through a different shop, I found them for €3500 which was too good to pass up.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

knox_harrington posted:

:rip: enjoy your new Porsche!

Yeah they are new Porsche OEM wheels through a different shop, I found them for €3500 which was too good to pass up.

I see. Sounds like a good deal.

Just checked 3 year leases of a 4S. 15000km / year, insurance and servicing included. No down payment etc. $2k a month with winter tyres. Seems pretty decently specced as well.

Edit: Oh hello there! Cross turismo is available on the swedish Porsche site.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The lease deals aren't all that attractive here imo. $1,299/mo 36/10k with 10k due at signing is paying roughly $56K to own the car for three years 30k miles. Not willing to pay two bucks a mile before insurance, electricity, etc. The thing that is gonna stop me is that I'm a cheap gently caress and can't justify paying that kind of per mile money.

on the other hand my per mile cost on the E39 is probably two bucks :negative:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The residual values Porsche were offering were really low, I think 39% at 3 years, which I suppose may be accurate (hope not) but is way less than for e-trons. The kicker for me was that when I managed to get hold of the lease terms and conditions the option to buy was specifically excluded. Just didn't make sense to pay off 61% of it and then not be able to take advantage of that low residual if it was in my favour.

I ended up putting down about a third of it and getting a loan for the rest, time will tell how BWM that is. IDK if it was because it was in the darkest part of 2020 but I also managed to get a corporate discount off the car which was about 10%, I understand that may not be normal though.

BTW that leasing deal is A LOT better than the ones here. Putting in roughly comparable numbers for a 4S:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drat yeah that's not cheap. The base price is doing a little work for you, even pumping up a CrossTurismo 4S with Performance package, adaptive sports seats, race-tex interior, ACC, and some colors/trims it comes to 120k chf before incentives. your base price is like 33% higher. What I've configured is also not how the 1300/mo lease deal is specified so I imagine it would be a bit more.

I was back calculating the residuals and net of incentives etc it looks like they're calling it 45% over three years.

In your opinion what are the must-have options?