Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hou je bek Oliwan

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oliwan posted:

Give me your top 10 contemporary bands/ musical acts, and your top ten films of the last 3 years op

this post sucks and you suck

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

also 'the best (measured how lol) contemporary pop bands are american or basically americanised' is an enormously inadequate response to 'it is bad that the west is becoming increasingly culturally homogenous in a way that seems to be converging USian expression'

this tbh. If cultural liberalism means uncritically accepting and emulating highly Americanised forms of cultural expression (forms which are highly influenced by and at the mercy of capital), I genuinely don't want to be a cultural liberal

Venomous has issued a correction as of 17:25 on Mar 23, 2021

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The two best anti-capitalist films from the last couple of years are Parasite and Sorry to Bother You, i.e. cultural artifacts stemming from two of the most capitalist societies in the world. This is mindboggling to some goons.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

oliwan posted:

Give me your top 10 contemporary bands/ musical acts, and your top ten films of the last 3 years op

so you're just not reading people's posts, right

that's a time-honoured posting strategy, though usually employed to somewhat less outrée ends

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

V. Illych L. posted:

so you're just not reading people's posts, right

that's a time-honoured posting strategy, though usually employed to somewhat less outrée ends

can you still give me your top 10 op?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
hjbo

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Griefor posted:

Where is this? Everyone on SA says this but I've never noticed this from people around me here in the Netherlands. And that's not to pretend nobody's racist here, it's just that besides the "Zwarte Piet is fine, actually" stuff 99% of the racism I see is targeted at islamic people, especially Moroccans.

The phenomenon has lessened a bit after each European nation independently revived fascism, but it's definitely a thing. I personally live in one that reviles Roma even more than Muslims and we're renowned for really, really hating Muslims, like, a lot. :denmark:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oliwan posted:

The US is literally better at any cultural discipline than Europe though, whether that is film, TV, music, literature, you name it. Of course it's a numbers game, but it's still true.

The US is also much better when it comes to anti-racist discourse than Europe.

lmao yeah if by better you mean makes more money

there's amazing music and film and literature in all countries but they don't always have a marketing juggernaut behind them

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Griefor posted:

Where is this? Everyone on SA says this but I've never noticed this from people around me here in the Netherlands. And that's not to pretend nobody's racist here, it's just that besides the "Zwarte Piet is fine, actually" stuff 99% of the racism I see is targeted at islamic people, especially Moroccans.

I'm Dutch too and here it's relatively invisible because the Roma are so invisible, and also a very tiny minority (wonder how that happened lol). If you go to many other places in Europe, such as the UK/Ireland and especially Eastern Europe (Hungary/Romania) it is a bigger deal. Especially in the latter two places it is one that everyone has an opinion about and you can't go a day without hearing some casual comments that contain the implicit assumption that Roma are subhuman trash, even from highly educated people working at universities. I had a friend who grew up in eastern Hungary and for her as a teenage punk it was a huge act of rebellion to walk around in and make friends in the Roma part of town, such that she still talked about 10 years later.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

All those shops with porcelain frogs at their doors.
Because the roma are a superstitious people dontcha know, and frogs are a bad omen for them so they won't enter.

But there's no racism here, see.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

"see we can't sell to them, they either haggle a lot or they just straight up don't pay and the police won't do anything even if we press charges" they say, while the multinational corporation that I work for refuses to pay a hazzard compensation required by law for over a year now and I'm going "uhmmm yes"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
If anything I would say American culture has been in a complete drought for more than a decade at this point. Honestly, even before the pandemic, nothing new was coming out except super hero films and the same tired pop subgenres. I would have said maybe before the 2000s there was an argument to be made for trend setting but American culture is completely a drift. Also, the US really only has pop culture to offer at this point (forget about fine art, literature, or poetry).

I would say the sad thing is because of our geopolitical domination that what call "culture" was imposed on the world and now the rest of the world (especially continental Europe) is now showing withdrawal symptoms as the supply finally ran out.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

oliwan posted:

it's all anime, op

Carthag Tuek posted:

there's amazing music and film and literature in all countries but they don't always have a marketing juggernaut behind them

a giant thing about it is also how a lot of people know/like english now because it's on tv/radio constantly

i live in a tiny eu country, and daily radio/tv broadcast is probably 60-80% of the music/film content is some form of english, american or otherwise

otoh, the local artists that do get on tv/radio are miles better than the pop trash that arrives from overseas :shrug:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ardennes posted:

If anything I would say American culture has been in a complete drought for more than a decade at this point. Honestly, even before the pandemic, nothing new was coming out except super hero films and the same tired pop subgenres. I would have said maybe before the 2000s there was an argument to be made for trend setting but American culture is completely a drift. Also, the US really only has pop culture to offer at this point (forget about fine art, literature, or poetry).

I would say the sad thing is because of our geopolitical domination that what call "culture" was imposed on the world and now the rest of the world (especially continental Europe) is now showing withdrawal symptoms as the supply finally ran out.

This is totally wrong op, and I'm sorry you are so out of touch with current American cultural output. American film, and especially TV, is unbelievably high quality at the moment... if you think it's all superhero movies then you are missing out massively. Specifically black film/tv is unbelievably good at the moment. Like, look at people like Donald Glover, Jordan Peele, Ava DuVernay, Boots Riley, Barry Jenkins etc.

I have to be honest and say that I don't know much about the fine art situation, but I do know a lot about modern fiction, and saying that America is not producing good literature at the moment (whether that is prose, film, tv or poetry) is clueless

oliwan has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Mar 23, 2021

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

All those shops with porcelain frogs at their doors.
Because the roma are a superstitious people dontcha know, and frogs are a bad omen for them so they won't enter.

But there's no racism here, see.

when i learned the frogs on display werent some tourist trap was a shock second only to when i found out jew was a verb in portuguese

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Osmosisch posted:

It's the uncritical absorption of US bullshit when contrasted with ultraconservatism about national traditions when they're actively harmful that is maddening

The Hiberno-American agenda is unquenchable in its bloodlust.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Also, the US really only has pop culture to offer at this point (forget about fine art, literature, or poetry).

only by white people, because Black Americans in particular are actually killing it

for example, Yaa Gyasi released two kickass novels in the past five years

similarly, N.K. Jemisin is pretty much the best science fiction writer of the past decade

there is tons of good art coming out of the US, but it sure as poo poo isn't by white people

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Venomous posted:

only by white people, because Black Americans in particular are actually killing it

similarly, N.K. Jemisin is pretty much the best science fiction writer of the past decade

there is tons of good art coming out of the US, but it sure as poo poo isn't by white people

finally a loving post by someone who knows what is up

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

American hip hop is probably the most interesting music genre right now, and has been for the past decade or so. The new Playboi Carti album is at Radiohead levels of genius IMO. So yeah, I kind of agree about black American artists. But NK Jemisin is terrible, sorry about your literary taste OP.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

oliwan posted:

This is totally wrong op, and I'm sorry you are so out of touch with current American cultural output. American film, and especially TV, is unbelievably high quality at the moment... if you think it's all superhero movies then you are missing out massively. Specifically black film/tv is unbelievably good at the moment. Like, look at people like Donald Glover, Jordan Peele, Ava DuVernay, Boots Riley, Barry Jenkins etc.

I have to be honest and say that I don't know much about the fine art situation, but I do know a lot about modern fiction, and saying that America is not producing good literature at the moment (whether that is prose, film, tv or poetry) is clueless

I think you are being too kind to the US here. There is a big difference in treatment between cultural output produced by African-Americans and the rest of white American society. If anything this goes back more than 100 years when Black Jazz musicians would frequently go to Europe because they were generally ignored at home outside the black community. I wouldn't say it is that extreme anymore, but it still isn't great.

It isn't a mark in the favor of the US.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Venomous posted:

lol wtf is this

what's true is most poo poo that goes overseas is mainstream pop culture, filed down to the bones to sell better, and that's mostly white

it's 2021 tho, you don't need to rely on broadcast media to get content. some of it is loving amazing can but rarely go mainstream for any number of reasons

there's enough music i like coming out of america, and a ton of it is still by white people, because america is a majority white country, it's just not nearly as obvious as mainstream crap

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Truga posted:

lol wtf is this

what's true is most poo poo that goes overseas is mainstream pop culture, filed down to the bones to sell better, and that's mostly white

it's 2021 tho, you don't need to rely on broadcast media to get content. some of it is loving amazing can but rarely go mainstream for any number of reasons

there's enough music i like coming out of america, and a ton of it is still by white people, because america is a majority white country, it's just not nearly as obvious as mainstream crap

Also agree with this tbh, seeing as phoebe bridgers is white, and so is the best band currently playing: big thief.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tylko jedno glowie mam, trumpu piec gram

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

anyway, can we at least all agree that cultural conservatism ≠ social conservatism and, for those who believe in nations, wanting a distinctive national art as part of a pan-European artistic tradition that may be influenced (but not subsumed) by eg. US art is good

because I can agree that some contemporary US art, as with some contemporary European art, is incredibly good, but I equally think that eg. in my case Scottish literature should not be subservient to that of the US or even the rest of the UK, b/c Scottish authors like, for example, James Kelman often differ from standard English literary form with localised forms of speech, syntax and orthography, to really interesting effects

like, if I'm understanding this right, cultural conservatism in the sense that VIL mentioned does not seek to eliminate and homogenise differences and diverse influences within a certain culture's art, but rather to not completely discard the national tradition in favour of eg. a hegemonic form of US art, and imo that is fine

Venomous has issued a correction as of 22:43 on Mar 23, 2021

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

arguments about art and culture own because inevitability people start acting like the sum of it is what gets exported to other countries or start insisting their quirky local traditions are somehow more prestigious than other people's quickly local traditions

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Truga posted:

lol wtf is this

I completely agree with you??? I mean yeah, I was generalising for comedy's sake, and I do think that in terms of most contemporary US media, I do prefer works by marginalised folks rather than that of white cishets, but I'm not dismissing stuff outside of the mainstream US media

and besides, the authors I mentioned are not part of hegemonic forms of US literature, mainly because they are very much not white cishets, but that isn't to say that white cishets are all just making the most derivative bullshit

e:

Agean90 posted:

arguments about art and culture own because inevitability people start acting like the sum of it is what gets exported to other countries or start insisting their quirky local traditions are somehow more prestigious than other people's quickly local traditions

for the record, other people's quirky local traditions loving own and I totally want to consume all the different kickass local art

Venomous has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Mar 23, 2021

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Venomous posted:

anyway, can we at least all agree that cultural conservatism ≠ social conservatism and, for those who believe in nations, wanting a distinctive national art as part of a pan-European artistic tradition that may be influenced (but not subsumed) by eg. US art is good

because I can agree that some contemporary US art, as with some contemporary European art, is incredibly good, but I equally think that eg. in my case Scottish literature should not be subservient to that of the US or even the rest of the UK, b/c Scottish authors like, for example, James Kelman often differ from standard English literary form with localised forms of speech, syntax and orthography, to really interesting effects

like, if I'm understanding this right, cultural conservatism in the sense that VIL mentioned does not seek to eliminate and homogenise differences and diverse influences within a certain culture's art, but rather to not completely discard the national tradition in favour of eg. a hegemonic form of US art, and imo that is fine

yes, when i say i'm culturally conservative it means i like folk dances, spoken dialects, obscure crotcheting techniques and regional differences in manners and attitudes. i especially like seeing these traditions meet and mutate with external influences, such as the emergence of surprisingly good rural hip hop in my country. i do not like homogenisation or the cultural erasure of the periphery by the centre. i appreciate that people from the north will knit different patterns than people from the south, and that they will swear up and down that those patterns are objectively superior. most of all, i think that culture is something that emerges from an objective base over time, and that it helps people make sense of an often difficult and complex world and that the elimination of the culture and distinctiveness of the periphery makes people in the periphery ill-equipped to deal with their own objective reality, which is a straightforwardly bad thing. this is both intra- and inter-national: typical american attitudes are a bad fit to norwegian society, which is build in a more collectivist and less expressive style, and the oslo mentality isn't going to work in some industrial town in some benighted valley

basically i can see a number of reasons to try and oppose this ongoing tendency of homogenisation which outweigh the straightforward advantages, namely that people speaking the same language with the same jargon find it easier to relate to each other and, at least in principle, more difficult to dehumanise each other

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Honest Thief posted:

when i learned the frogs on display werent some tourist trap was a shock second only to when i found out jew was a verb in portuguese
It is in (American?) English too.

e: Actually, English has at least three cases if turning a people into a verb for some manner of trickery.

A Buttery Pastry has issued a correction as of 06:19 on Mar 24, 2021

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Also Danish.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

e: Actually, English has at least three cases if turning a people into a verb for some manner of trickery.

What’s the third?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Orange Devil posted:

What’s the third?

To welsh

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SplitSoul posted:

Also Danish.
Not surprising, but I’ve never heard anyone using it, which is frankly surprising given, you know, Danish society. Is it just straight “jøde” or some variant?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not surprising, but I’ve never heard anyone using it, which is frankly surprising given, you know, Danish society. Is it just straight “jøde” or some variant?

Yes. You have "jødet" someone or something, i.e., hosed them over, swindled them or stolen their property.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Griefor posted:

Here's a fun related story that just showed up in the news: Geen screening meer verbouwingen woonwagenkamp: - https://nos.nl/r/113330

Apparently until now, people in this city living in trailer camps (usually Roma) had to undergo an extra "integrity screening" before they were allowed to remodel their place. Others were not subject to this unless they planned to spend more than €250.000 on it (a ridiculous amount). Some nice systemic racism there! It's so blatant that they even present removing this law as an inclusiveness and anti discrimination thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

A Buttery Pastry posted:

ODS (pre 1950) https://ordnet.dk/ods/ordbog?select=j%F8de,2&query=j%F8de
DDO (post 1950) https://ordnet.dk/ddo/ordbog?select=j%F8de,2&query=j%F8de

Haven't heard anyone use it either though

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I know people were posting about this like a week ago but if Dutch kids want to go trick or treating they can do it on Sint-Maarten instead of Halloween. They're less than two weeks apart! :arghfist:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol things going well in Sweden
https://twitter.com/Nassreddin2002/status/1375824349840740364
SD = Sverigedemokraterna = a Fascist Party

Liberals willing to work together with fascists??? :monocle:

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 10:24 on Mar 29, 2021

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

ekuNNN posted:

Liberals willing to work together with fascists??? :monocle:
Never seen a Liberal party who didn't like any path to power, no matter how dirty it is or how little power it leads to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

In NL the big lie they always tell about this is that "at least we are willing to shoulder RESPONSIBILITY" unlike you parties who choose to "put yourself offsides" when you refuse to negotiate with or support fascism and/or neoliberalism.

This goes along with insisting that you cannot change the country without entering a government, and thus are basically lying to your voters with your campaign promises, unlike them, who entered as junior coalition partners and managed to change nothing.

Dutch voters eat this poo poo up too.