Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Scotland and NI could both gain independence, and I bet there still wouldn't be a hint of Welsh on the new "United Kingdom" fleg. Shame, because a dragon would really spice it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thread may now call me “three freezers” Elsie.

I got under counter, fridge freezer, and chest freezer and it’s exactly as glorious as you would expect it to be.

Edit: oh yehhh

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 23, 2021

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Or Chinese manufacturers were getting sick of incomprehensible emails from LOVAREQUEEN4636@britanemail.uk about the flag being upside down and found a flag with rotational symmetry.

In my experience those are exactly the sort of people who fly it upside down by accident.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nobody remembers how the fiddly red bits go.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Payndz posted:

Scotland and NI could both gain independence, and I bet there still wouldn't be a hint of Welsh on the new "United Kingdom" fleg. Shame, because a dragon would really spice it up.
In order of likelihood:
  • Keeping the current one to save having to buy new flags;
  • We're just using St George's cross now gently caress Wales;
  • Pre-1801 to retain brand recognition;
  • Using St David's cross instead;
  • The words "flag temporarily removed for renovation" in sans serif on a white background;
  • Dragon.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I want a chest freezer :(

A proper desk is probably the more urgent purchase though. What was the name of that site where you can order ex office equipment, i'd imagine they're pretty well stocked at the moment.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A proper desk is probably the more urgent purchase though. What was the name of that site where you can order ex office equipment, i'd imagine they're pretty well stocked at the moment.

https://www.reyooz.com/? I got my standing desk from there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

• The words "flag temporarily removed for renovation" in sans serif on a white background;

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
rUK should probably just use that flag from V for Vendetta.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Nobody remembers how the fiddly red bits go.

Thick Line Top Left is one of only three things I was taught in 4 years of Cubs that actually stuck.

The other two are how to find north with an analogue watch, and that shopkeepers who are on guard against schoolkids never suspect the exact same kids in cub uniforms are going to empty out the Mastertronic games display while they're looking the other way.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Don’t forget these for when you’re out of bed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362281504517

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Get two small ones and a sheet of plywood and you got both

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
C̶̢̝̜͊͌̕Y̴̨̯̣̰̥̲̯͊͛͗̓̚̚͝C̴̹̩͆̿̈́̃L̴͓̪͂͝Ö̵̧̡̯͔͈̾̎̔͠͝P̸̡̠̯͖̽̓͠Ë̵͚͙́̉́͊̈́͘N̵̨̝̦͓̜̦͋T̷͔̽̉̀̊͌̌̚ͅA̷̟͊̍́̋̔̃Ņ̶̡̻̟̮̗̠͑̒̏͛̚Ë̶͖̞̪͓͙̝́͒̄͋̄͑͒

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Cyclopentane is a very eldritch molecule.

World beating performance. If you squint at it right. I'm starting to think the UK vaccination programme is going to run full-speed into the iceberg when it comes to second dose time for everyone getting their jab now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

World beating performance. If you squint at it right. I'm starting to think the UK vaccination programme is going to run full-speed into the iceberg when it comes to second dose time for everyone getting their jab now.

Data from Israel suggests that the first dose only will drastically reduce COVID spread for a long time for all the major vaccines. So yeah, our mad rush to do first doses only may be less effective, but it'll still be effective.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
AFAIK, it's a deliberate strategy to get at least some vaccine into as many people as possible, which I tend to agree with: I think it's preferable to a much smaller number of fully vaccinated people and a majority with zero protection.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I guess one point of concern is did they take into account that by running ahead with single vaccines, the population feels invincible and behaves more recklessly, and combined with our nearest neighbours very much not having kept up with us what that does to the model?

Also I don't understand the 5k fine law thing for going abroad. So... They lied again and holidaying wasn't banned but now will be?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
You can't talk about the BBC flag thing without the video

https://twitter.com/jamesowild/status/1374052717841223683

Yes this is from a Parliamentary Accounts Committee session where they were there to scrutinise the BBC including ensuring it's representing good value for money etc...

"I think that's a strange metric" is a very diplomatic response.

EDIT: check out that ratio lol

Ewan fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 23, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm about to pour a concrete foundation and there's going to be half a lorry load left. Think I might make some shuttering moulds and pour the leftovers to make some flag pole bases. Rake it in.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I guess one point of concern is did they take into account that by running ahead with single vaccines, the population feels invincible and behaves more recklessly, and combined with our nearest neighbours very much not having kept up with us what that does to the model?

Also I don't understand the 5k fine law thing for going abroad. So... They lied again and holidaying wasn't banned but now will be?

I think their model* is actually people are going to go loving mental on April 12th, vaccine or not, so just spam it out as fast as possible because 60% of the population with *some* immunity is preferable to 30% of the population with better immunity, *particularly* if - as has been suggested but is very far from proven - the single jab almost entirely eliminates hospitalisation and death.

* I'm being charitable and assuming some kind of medical realpolitik rather than the "Just do the thing that gets us a good headline today regardless of what it means tomorrow" policy which has driven just about every single thing they've done under Johnson.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

AFAIK, it's a deliberate strategy to get at least some vaccine into as many people as possible, which I tend to agree with: I think it's preferable to a much smaller number of fully vaccinated people and a majority with zero protection.
Yeah if we can hit 70% with a single dose by the time things start opening up again it looks like that'd be enough to seriously impede spread.

Even 50% with single dose should be a very good start if it's combined with masking and increased ventilation on public transport.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm about to pour a concrete foundation and there's going to be half a lorry load left. Think I might make some shuttering moulds and pour the leftovers to make some flag pole bases. Rake it in.
Bonus if you can use them for table umbrella stands for once everyone's got bored of the flag debate.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

The stated reason for the month delay in moving to the next cohort is to ensure second doses get done for all healthcare workers and clinically extremely vulnerable people. This is actually a pretty sensible idea, but they still seem to be pushing on with a fuckload of first jabs in the current cohort (non-vulnerable over-50) and accelerating that much quicker than the rate of second jabs (almost double the amount of first doses last week compared to the week before, second doses only up 25% in the same period).

Like you say, I think they're hitting the organisational limits here; there's no *clinical* reason why they couldn't be doing >500k/day second doses right now, which would get all of the remaining vulnerable people done by the end of the month with time to spare, I think the problem is that now they've moved out of the easy areas (people already working in the NHS or living in long-term care) they just have no way at all of moving people's appointments up, so we're still locked into the schedule we set in January.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Cyclopentane, qu'est-ce que c'est?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Due to the recent government dossier on flags and flag accessories we will not be having any of this foreign chat

big scary monsters posted:

qu'est-ce que c'est?
this is clearly belgian or something, and
this was discovered by a germanian.

All refrigerants will be replaced by anglopentane, developed by Winston Churchill and also by statues of Winston Churchill to make natives sneeze in a series of experiments that left acres of Cornwall uninhabitable, as is good and proper for house prices.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Patriotic legislation means everything has to be made out of buckminsterfullerene.

E: wait buckminster fuller was american apparently, he just has an aggressively home counties name.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 23, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

https://www.reyooz.com/? I got my standing desk from there.
That was the one, no standing desks at the mo, but some very good poo poo on there.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

Patriotic legislation means everything has to be made out of buckminsterfullerene.

E: wait buckminster fuller was american apparently, he just has an aggressively home counties name.

No True Englishman would ever come out with immoral twaddle like this:

Buckminster Fuller posted:

We should do away with the absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living. It is a fact today that one in ten thousand of us can make a technological breakthrough capable of supporting all the rest. The youth of today are absolutely right in recognizing this nonsense of earning a living. We keep inventing jobs because of this false idea that everybody has to be employed at some kind of drudgery because, according to Malthusian Darwinian theory he must justify his right to exist. So we have inspectors of inspectors and people making instruments for inspectors to inspect inspectors. The true business of people should be to go back to school and think about whatever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along and told them they had to earn a living

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Humphry Davy was Cornish so all fridges can run on nitrous oxide.

I hear The Guardian is already employing a nitrous based refrigerator as an editor

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Another protest set up in College Green specifically about travellers rights and the cops have rolled in in force about 15 minutes ago. This feels like it's going to keep being an issue.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Due to the recent government dossier on flags and flag accessories we will not be having any of this foreign chat

this is clearly belgian or something, and

this was discovered by a germanian.

All refrigerants will be replaced by anglopentane, developed by Winston Churchill and also by statues of Winston Churchill to make natives sneeze in a series of experiments that left acres of Cornwall uninhabitable, as is good and proper for house prices.

Anglish (see Uncleftish Beholding and [unrelated to UB] a really insane online community of linguistic purists) doesn't go far enough. Reject all Germanic influences. Celtic and even Pictish languages are ultimately disgusting continental imports. The Beaker people were just Germans. Bit hard to say what the pre-Beakers spoke, but I'm guessing it was more or less Spanish. I'm looking at Cheddar Man with some suspicion. Language itself is unBritish imo.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 24, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't want to speak romance languages, germanic is the best language group because it's just swearing and grunting.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just to point out to those who aren't certain from bsm's post: uncleftish beholding is a humorous thought experiment about removing Latin influence from our language.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

namesake posted:

Another protest set up in College Green specifically about travellers rights and the cops have rolled in in force about 15 minutes ago. This feels like it's going to keep being an issue.

I listened to the latest WDTATW while walking the dog earlier and they had a rundown of the bill: the latest anti-Traveller measures sound just nuts. I know it's not exactly a surprise since it was in the Tory manifesto, but it's quite literally ethnic cleansing and basically nobody in the British mainstream cares at all.

e:

Tesseraction posted:

Just to point out to those who aren't certain from bsm's post: uncleftish beholding is a humorous thought experiment about removing Latin influence from our language.
Yeah sorry I should have said that Uncleftish Beholding and Poul Anderson are not AFAIK part of the insane Anglish purism movement and it is quite a fun read.

crayon85
Dec 25, 2013
Boris saying the quiet part a bit too loud

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's better than modern english is what it is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Personally I am campaigning to have English removed from our national language and have it replaced with the most comprehensive language on our planet: Japanese, also known as *checks notes* Bihonfive.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Payndz posted:

Well yeah hard to fit it in with the swastika

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like Anglish as a concept but I worry that the community of people who care too much about it are going to be turboracists, like the very bad types of pagans who want everything back to before 'Judeo-Christianity' rather than the good types of pagans who like cool art and trees (and I know there's unfortunately some overlap there). I hope I'm wrong about that.

I'm up for learning Basque though. Or Paleozoic Era swamp noises.

e: or

OwlFancier posted:

just swearing and grunting.

Endjinneer posted:

No True Englishman would ever come out with immoral twaddle like this:
I was going to say that that specific bit of his philosophy was straight from Bertrand Russell, but I can never remember if Russell considered himself Welsh or English or British. Certainly detached enough from true England to propose absurdities like "people should work less, except for landlords, they should consider work."

Boris seems like the type who thinks that Gordon Gekko, Tony Montana, and Walter White were the heroes. (But not the similar men from The Wire for reasons.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Christ, that picture. He's gone full swivel-eyed loon.