Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, a name that sounds like 'Darkseed' is really cool!

Before the Superman cartoon in the 90's this is how I always pronounced his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

site posted:

So is darkseid like a title or did he just change his name to sound more badass

Apparently reading his history Darkseid is a name of a dark God from the past that he took.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Darkseid_(New_Earth)

quote:

When he emerged from the chrysalis that formed around his body, Uxas took the name Darkseid, the most feared of all the god-names of in the ancient Apokoliptian lore-books no one else dared to take, as his god-name

After he took the Omega power.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
When did the uaxs stuff get added. I swear it isn't in OG kirby

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mr Hootington posted:

I think you may be right. The reference in the notes suggest an issue written by John Byrne

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Jack_Kirby%27s_Fourth_World_Vol_1_5

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

*extremely Rhyno voice* some Byrne bullshit

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gatts posted:

Apparently reading his history Darkseid is a name of a dark God from the past that he took.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Darkseid_(New_Earth)

After he took the Omega power.

With the way all that New God stuff works though that god was probably also him.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

No wonder it sucks.

I'll be honest nobody has written the new gods well except Kirby and Evanier.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 23, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gatts posted:

I think you may be right. The reference in the notes suggest an issue written by John Byrne

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Jack_Kirby%27s_Fourth_World_Vol_1_5

The note isn't really clear whether that's the source of his retcon or just the source of "Darkseid is a feared name from history" though.

The names of all the Fourth World stuff is embarrassingly bad and we just pretend it's not because it's Kirby though.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Uxas then chose as a name for himself the word no Apokaliptian dare speak aloud, and then after several HR meetings he changed his mind and settled on Darkseid.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
My name is xxXdarkseid_666Xxx

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Can't believe Darkseid is the Apokoliptian N-word, Uaxs is cancelled

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Watched the first half of this last night with friends, stopping on the Chapter 5 title card. Honestly? I kinda like it. It's not the best superhero movie I've ever seen and I'm still not convinced it needs to be four goddamn hours but for a movie I wasn't really interested in by a director I've mostly never liked, it's actually alright?

My only major gripes so far are things like how bad the Steppenwolf attacking Themyscira scene is - all of the action feels off while meting into a desaturated blur and the melodrama reaches a tipping point where it misses epic and rolls over into hokey, more or less a microcosm of all my concerns going into this movie - and of course the dumb loving Martha Manhunter bit a lot of people are complaining about for reasons I feel are self-explanatory.

It is pretty funny how Flash, the most Whedon-y part of the original movie, is more or less the same character here.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 23, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1374428417274220561?s=21

They’re finally confirming BW on D+. July 9.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
About fuckin time but why push it back two months

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

site posted:

Probably so that they make more theater revenue

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

My guess would be because of the US vaccination timeline.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah, Biden's targeted July 4th as the "return to normal" date, so Disney is trying to be the first big release after that to collect a little extra box office from people going out again. It's also just more time for people to get vaccinated and more vaccinated people are more people who would be willing to go to a theater.

Everyone's going to be talking about the Disney+ aspect of the release because people Have Opinions about first run streaming and the Death of Theaters, but if all goes well that will be a side note.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
urgh shouldn't the theatrical/Premier Access hybrid release mean that they *don't* have to delay BW and Shang-Chi again? well at least it's only two months and there's no domino effect on the rest of the Marvel Studios slate this time

FlamingLiberal posted:

Probably so that they make more theater revenue

Aphrodite posted:

My guess would be because of the US vaccination timeline.

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, Biden's targeted July 4th as the "return to normal" date, so Disney is trying to be the first big release after that to collect a little extra box office from people going out again. It's also just more time for people to get vaccinated and more vaccinated people are more people who would be willing to go to a theater.

Everyone's going to be talking about the Disney+ aspect of the release because people Have Opinions about first run streaming and the Death of Theaters, but if all goes well that will be a side note.

this is all accurate, but also, some of the Hollywood trades have previously reported that Feige was particularly resistant to doing a theatrical/Premier Access hybrid release for BW or any Marvel Studios film. delaying BW to July and Shang-Chi in September makes it more likely (though by no means certain) that the former will be a one-off in that regard, so maybe this was part of a compromise that Chapek et al. reached with Feige for a BW hybrid release to happen

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I will be fully under Bill Gates' mind control when I get my second dose of the vaccine, so I will just go to the theater instead of paying $30 to watch Black Widow at home slightly early.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'll probably just do whatever makes sense at the time. I really would like to see it in a theater, though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Very funny that it took them twenty years to release a Black Widow film and now it’s going to fail.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm getting my second vaccine on Friday do I'll be all beast marked up to go back to theaters.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Shirkelton posted:

Very funny that it took them twenty years to release a Black Widow film and now it’s going to fail.

they really couldn't delay it any further without a domino effect on the rest of the Marvel Studios theatrical slate, which would also likely impact the Disney+ release schedule, and realistically, July is still too early for audiences to be back in theaters in pre-pandemic numbers

also, Premier Access numbers can't be that bad if Disney keeps using it as a release model, though as is typical in the streaming era, they've been incredibly opaque about Mulan and Raya's performance so who knows really

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I'll be getting my vaccines sometime around June or July :negative: If I get it in May I will be extremely surprised.

I still want to wait a little bit before venturing into places like movie theaters and restaurants. So I'm probably gonna miss Black Widow and Shang-Chi. I just wanna see if the covid numbers go down in my city.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My city opened theaters back up as of uh yesterday, and I'll be long past my second shot (assuming I'm not getting J&J) by then (first is on Sunday!!), so I might see a movie in a theater.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gonna have my second shot in april and still not planning on seeing it in theater

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm not counting on getting a shot until september but BW might be the movie I decide to pay $30 for

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

No wonder it sucks.

I'll be honest nobody has written the new gods well except Kirby and Evanier.

Also Simonson. Just because nobody read Orion doesn't mean it wasn't good or pretty.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

You can still get and give covid when vaccinated lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And moreso with the variants.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah but this is how it is nowadays. poo poo isn't going away. Can't really blame people who get vaccinated for wanting to go out and do something after a year and a half.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah but this is how it is nowadays. poo poo isn't going away. Can't really blame people who get vaccinated for wanting to go out and do something after a year and a half.

🤣 God i love this stupid death cult country.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

🤣 God i love this stupid death cult country.

Wanting to socialize and see other people isn't a sign of being in a death cult.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

but you won't get a case that requires hospitalization or kill you.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

Well enjoy life in your house forever I guess? I mean at some point we have to trust that we're protected enough to get back to our lives. I lived by all the rules for nine months and then still got it from a doctor's appointment where every protocol was followed. I'm about to receive my second shot in three days and I live in a town that will likely reach the numbers required for herd immunity status via vaccination late next month. I'm going to start doing poo poo again at that point. I'll wear a mask and wash my hands still but I'm not going to be afraid to go places like I have been.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

X-O posted:

I'm going to start doing poo poo again at that point. I'll wear a mask and wash my hands still but I'm not going to be afraid to go places like I have been.

This. It isn't like I'm gonna remove my mask and go out to have a massive street party. Me and my family are still gonna wear a mask, but at least we won't be dying with anxiety every time we have to get groceries.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

How high is America’s death toll?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Madkal posted:

Wanting to socialize and see other people isn't a sign of being in a death cult.

Yes it is. How else do you perform ritual sacrifices without being around other people and chanting in unison? That curvy knife isn't going to embed itself, and Thoth-Amon isn't going to grant me riches if we aren't chanting in actual unison - Zoom/Teams delay is unacceptable.

Or have I been joining the wrong death cults?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Zachack posted:

Yes it is. How else do you perform ritual sacrifices without being around other people and chanting in unison? That curvy knife isn't going to embed itself, and Thoth-Amon isn't going to grant me riches if we aren't chanting in actual unison - Zoom/Teams delay is unacceptable.

Or have I been joining the wrong death cults?

drat.
In my death cult we only chat a bit about local gossip on Zoom. We used to play UNO before the pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Madkal posted:

I like how you said ‘wanting to’ instead of the more accurate ‘going to in defiance of best safety practices’ lol.