Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Alright so I pretty well broke most of the rules :facepalm: but I was doing it to demonstrate I am working two jobs and so not just on a single salary, effectively. This company contacted me and have been pretty aggressive, but have only topped my single full time job by 10k. I’ll have to talk to them on that piece.

My bigger question is: they included language for non-compete in the same space (understandable) but also language that I am only allowed to work for them during business hours. Is this fairly standard stuff or is that a jab at me working two jobs? It struck me as rather odd, and if they’re going to take that sort of approach I’m getting bad vibes really quickly. I don’t know that I would continue my second job (or have time), but that really sticks out to me.

FWIW every professional services job I've had has had a clause about not working at a different company while employed at the firm. Not sure what line of work you're going into but it's seemed pretty standard in my experience; after all, if you're working another job, those are salaried hours they can't wring out of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So I posted a month or two back about my sister's boyfriend negotiations with his company to get a consulting position in NYC instead of Chicago. He did end up getting a position for NYC, and there's no travel involved for the particular position. However, I did find out that they did not give him any benefit details and said he'll find that out during orientation. That sounds absolutely insane to me. The company is British, is that normal for a a European company? I cannot imagine possibly accepting an offer without knowing details on insurance, retirement, vacation, etc for a US company.

Googling the company seems to indicate it has a good reputation and its employees like it a lot. He's talked to his team members already and they all seem happy there. Still just seems shady as gently caress to me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you say it's a great company I'll believe you, but they wouldn't bloody likely refuse to share details about benefits if there was anything good about them.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

bamhand posted:

So I posted a month or two back about my sister's boyfriend negotiations with his company to get a consulting position in NYC instead of Chicago. He did end up getting a position for NYC, and there's no travel involved for the particular position. However, I did find out that they did not give him any benefit details and said he'll find that out during orientation. That sounds absolutely insane to me. The company is British, is that normal for a a European company? I cannot imagine possibly accepting an offer without knowing details on insurance, retirement, vacation, etc for a US company.

Googling the company seems to indicate it has a good reputation and its employees like it a lot. He's talked to his team members already and they all seem happy there. Still just seems shady as gently caress to me.

Does this company's name begin with an H?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I suppose there's so many levels removed it doesn't matter if I say the name. It's Kantar Group.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
consulting has pretty commoditized benefits in my experience. the health insurance will be very good. the vacation policy will be nominally civilized although good luck using it. the 401(k) will be decent and generally worth your while but might have a long vesting period.

although since you posted the company i looked it up and it's a market research outfit and they can be goofy/cheap so i'm less confident now.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

bamhand posted:

I suppose there's so many levels removed it doesn't matter if I say the name. It's Kantar Group.

Ah, never mind.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The 401(k) will be decent and generally worth your while but might have a long vesting period.

I was at a big four company that offered 1.5% matching. I would have been less insulted by no match at all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bamhand posted:

I was at a big four company that offered 1.5% matching. I would have been less insulted by no match at all.

accounting is not consulting imo even though accounting firms put on airs these days

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

accounting is not consulting imo even though accounting firms put on airs these days

Deloitte (we call them big D on Fishbowl) is a pretty solid player in IT consulting, at least from the outside

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Inner Light posted:

Deloitte (we call them big D on Fishbowl) is a pretty solid player in IT consulting, at least from the outside

Experiences at Papa D depend entirely on the talent model you're hired into: consulting (demanding, multiple clients, high paying, interesting, room to grow) vs. contracting (straightforward, single client, good paying, boring, dead end).

They don't advertise which talent model the position is on, so you have to know to ask.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

bamhand posted:

However, I did find out that they did not give him any benefit details and said he'll find that out during orientation. That sounds absolutely insane to me. The company is British, is that normal for a a European company?

No, this is not normal in the EU and I'd be incredibly wary for companies who don't try to spin their dime a dozen benefits as "we have a great / market rate secondary benefits package".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Inner Light posted:

IT consulting is hardly consulting :chord:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bamhand posted:

Pretty sure that’s the one I’m at right now. Absolute horse piss. On the other hand the money was way better than the last place so it was still worth it.

Deloitte did full match up to 4-10%. Too bad about the salaries.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

IT consulting is hardly consulting :chord:

Everything below senior is just making powerpoints with 20 other juniors

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hell yeah looks like i made it

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

LochNessMonster posted:

Everything below senior is just making powerpoints with 20 other juniors

Everything below Senior Manager. Senior Consultant is probably even worse than being a junior

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Consultant work has other aspects than PowerPoints?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Consultant work has other aspects than PowerPoints?

According to my friends who have done it, you also get to advise people on the best course of action and then have them ignore you!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My brother did a stint IT consulting. His main project was a three stage system implementation. Each stage was run by a different consulting firm.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Inner Light posted:

Everything below Senior Manager. Senior Consultant is probably even worse than being a junior

They’re all somehow the worst level.

Senior managers seems like the worst one to me though. They really want to grind you before you make partner (at which point a new ladder begins).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

all consulting is bad

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all consulting is bad

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all consulting is bad

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all consulting are bad

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all consulting is bad

Is that your expert opinion?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all consulting is bad

And I will never go back

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is that your expert opinion?

give me a PO # i can bill to

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have to hire consultants so I have someone to throw under the bus when this shitshow of a project ultimately fails.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress i had blocked this phrase out of my memory :argh:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all consulting is bad

Chaotic Flame posted:

And I will never go back

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Chiasmus
May 17, 2008

CornHolio posted:

gently caress, it looks like I have an offer incoming. The max they were going to go with, $115k, which is over $20k more than I make now. Working to see if I can get a third week of vacation out of it but that isn't a dealbreaker.

I'm going to miss my seniority and knowing what I'm doing and stuff. I'm going to miss the people I work with. Just Friday my boss said long-term he'd like to see me as the head of our R/D lab and our testing facility, but that's not promised and several years out most likely. It sounds really interesting though... am I making the right choice?

Congrats!

Take the money and enjoy the next chapter. You were apprehensive about changing jobs in your legendary BFC thread from 10 years ago too and it ended up being the right choice for you and your family. Could you have imagined making it to a $115k job back then?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Chiasmus posted:

Congrats!

Take the money and enjoy the next chapter. You were apprehensive about changing jobs in your legendary BFC thread from 10 years ago too and it ended up being the right choice for you and your family. Could you have imagined making it to a $115k job back then?

Hell no I couldn't. I'm glad I left - a few years later, the company was bought, and then that company was bought and they gutted it. There's still a handful of people there but most are long gone.

I had a frank discussion with my boss today and learned that at $115k I'd be making more than even him, as well as most of the other managers there, which tells me I was never going to make more money, ever, even climbing the ladder. I wish I still didn't feel so heartbroken about leaving. I can't explain it. It's way worse than it was before.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CornHolio posted:

I wish I still didn't feel so heartbroken about leaving. I can't explain it. It's way worse than it was before.

This is a completely normal feeling that will evaporate about a day into your new job

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

PIZZA.BAT posted:

This is a completely normal feeling that will evaporate about a day into your new job

This is some wisdom here.

I went through this at the end of February - left a company I'd been at for over a decade - and it's not even the end of March and I'm already over it. Too much new poo poo too learn, to many new people to meet, too much work to do. But in a good way.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Echoing what Pizza and Zarin are saying. 17 years working with some of the folks when I left. It was sad to say goodbye, but you get over it real quick. Like about the time that direct deposit hits for an extra 700-800 a check. :D

I still keep in touch with several folks.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
It makes me wonder if it might be a better measure of past (or present) jobs to see how many folks you keep in touch with. I still have several from my last job, but I’m not sure I’d have anyone from either of my current gigs. Makes u think.

Jk this is the salary thread, what am I saying?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

It makes me wonder if it might be a better measure of past (or present) jobs to see how many folks you keep in touch with. I still have several from my last job, but I’m not sure I’d have anyone from either of my current gigs. Makes u think.

Jk this is the salary thread, what am I saying?

It can certainly generate dollars given how referrals or outright recruitment often comes via informal connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I really can't believe I'm considering staying.

I'm just not excited about the job. The pay, sure, but I make good money as it is. I'm not hurting or anything. And it's RV. The company isn't 100% but this position is. And they just moved to a smaller HQ and closed their testing facility. Some small red flags for sure but I'm still just to uncertain and am defaulting to the mess I know / my comfort zone.

I loving hate this and I didn't think it'd be such a hard decision, to be honest. It is, though. I'm happy where I am. Content.