Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Is that a chunk of the mountain that falls away before the smoke (?) starts ? My brains trying to tell me that it's an oozing liquid, but logic tells me that it's more likely (previously solid) mountainside.

e: eugh, terrible snipe.
Have a picture of a Mongolian eagle huntress, who's probably already been posted in this thread

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 07:40 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yes it's a third of the mountain flowing like liquid.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:stwoon: (the huntress not the exploded mountain)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's an animated version of Mt St. Helens landslide photographs, so there's an extra layer of unnatural eerie feel.

https://petapixel.com/2013/02/26/photographing-the-eruption-of-mount-st-helens-from-10-miles-away/

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I remember reading about some guy who lived on Mount St Helens and refused to evacuate when warned about the eminent eruption, because he said that he was "part of this mountain." which is definitely true now

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

baw posted:

I remember reading about some guy who lived on Mount St Helens and refused to evacuate when warned about the eminent eruption, because he said that he was "part of this mountain." which is definitely true now

"Harry Truman, who was closest to the volcano, became nationally and even internationally famous for his refusal to leave his lodge. He was portrayed by the press as sort of a rugged western loner who defied government authority. He had owned the lodge for more than 50 years, and his refusal to evacuate caused difficulties for local law enforcement. People would say, “Harry Truman is up in his lodge, why can’t I go to my property?”

The blast was so powerful it broke off trees 10 feet in diameter, as if they were matchsticks. Harry Truman’s lodge was instantly destroyed and all the structures on Spirit Lake were buried under 200 feet of avalanche debris. Not a sign of them was ever found again."

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Hellova way to go.
Was he aerosolised or merely shredded?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

By popular demand posted:

Hellova way to go.
Was he aerosolised or merely shredded?

No, no he died WITH volcanic atomization, not OF it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
According to wikipedia, just four days before his death he was visiting some school children who had sent him fan letters, because of his folk hero like defiance. It would have been pretty silly, if the volcano blew up during that visit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Here's a livestream of that volcano erupting, the lava flow has cooled in the last few hours so it's not looking like much right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d2pk38VdqU

Here's a timelapse from Saturday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zymINXCAMw0

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My dogshit American education left out most other countries when it talked about the best activity there is: Killin' Nazis.

So we didn't get to see stuff like this.

A couple more here:
https://imgur.com/account/favorites/lae98

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

By popular demand posted:

:stwoon: (the huntress not the exploded mountain)

same, but the eagle

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

My dogshit American education left out most other countries when it talked about the best activity there is: Killin' Nazis.

A couple more here:

I had no idea this existed. But then again, I'm an american who went to a religious school when I was growing up. No way would they teach that.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

A couple more here:

Hey that's pretty cool! People forget about the other countries that helped in WW2. Even me, a firstvgeneration Mexican American.

Had to go see what Mexican added to the war effort pulled this up on wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/201st_Fighter_Squadron_(Mexico)#:~:text=The%20squadron%20was%20known%20by,in%20the%20summer%20of%201945

A fighter squadron of P-47s known as the "Aztec Eagles" coolio!

ShortyMR.CAT has a new favorite as of 18:19 on Mar 23, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There was that very funny time that the british national party put out a leaflet that had a 303 squadron spitfire on it. Which was made up of Polish expatriates who wanted to keep fighting the nazis.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

OwlFancier posted:

There was that very funny time that the british national party put out a leaflet that had a 303 squadron spitfire on it. Which was made up of Polish expatriates who wanted to keep fighting the nazis.

If thats the one I'm thinking of, they were also some of the best fighter pilots in part due to their aggression

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They literally got the high score in the battle of britain yes.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
There's a really great book about the dogfighting Poles and others who escaped to Britain and started fighting to take back Europe, called Last Hope Island. Highly recommended.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I know everyone likes to poo poo on the American education system (because it's bad), but in Australia, I wasn't even taught that WWII existed.
They didn't actively try to hide it from us or anything (like they did with the massacres committed by early colonisers), but it was never even mentioned in a lesson unless a student asked a specific question.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

When/where were you educated? I'm Sydney class of mid-2000s and I don't remember much of high school but we definitely touched on at least the rats of Tobruk and the fuzzy wuzzies, the bombing of Darwin and so forth. Standard nationalist/jingoist poo poo but I wouldn't say they didn't even acknowledge ww2

boofhead has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Mar 23, 2021

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
History education in secondary school in Australia really seems to vary between schools.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Byron Bay shire, class of '09.
We spent a fair bit of time on WWI (almost exclusively Gallipoli; they made us watch the movie, and dragged it out over weeks), touched very briefly on Vietnam and the Petrov Affair, and that was it in terms of wars.
Primary school was all about the first fleet, and I guess there must've been something that explained ANZAC day, but I don't remember it. Years 7-8 didn't involve much Australian history at all, except for researching a single Prime Minister (John Curtin); it was mostly Greek, Roman, and Aztec history. Years 9-10 were mostly about the stolen generation, with a brief interlude for the wars mentioned above.
Maybe WWII would've been covered if I'd chosen history as an elective.

e: fun fact: My sister-in-law hadn't heard of the holocaust until she was in her 20s, and sitting around the dinner table with her jewish fiancé and his jewish family.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Mar 23, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kennel posted:

"Harry Truman, who was closest to the volcano, became nationally and even internationally famous for his refusal to leave his lodge. He was portrayed by the press as sort of a rugged western loner who defied government authority. He had owned the lodge for more than 50 years, and his refusal to evacuate caused difficulties for local law enforcement. People would say, “Harry Truman is up in his lodge, why can’t I go to my property?”

The blast was so powerful it broke off trees 10 feet in diameter, as if they were matchsticks. Harry Truman’s lodge was instantly destroyed and all the structures on Spirit Lake were buried under 200 feet of avalanche debris. Not a sign of them was ever found again."

It really just seemed more like someone wanted the most over the top suicide

Solar Coaster posted:

I had no idea this existed. But then again, I'm an american who went to a religious school when I was growing up. No way would they teach that.

Yeah no poo poo because they probably think the good guys lost the war

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lady Disdain posted:

e: fun fact: My sister-in-law hadn't heard of the holocaust until she was in her 20s, and sitting around the dinner table with her jewish fiancé and his jewish family.

...that must be up there on 'most awkward moments' of all time...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

A couple more here:

This is cool as gently caress

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/AgostoAllElite/status/1374510146487947267

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Samovar posted:

...that must be up there on 'most awkward moments' of all time...

...is she racist or just very very stupid?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
It wasn't really awkward, just sort of flabbergasting.

Milo and POTUS posted:

...is she racist or just very very stupid?

Definitely not the first. The second ? Well, she's not stupid, but she's really unaware of the world around her, and this was definitely not the only gap in her knowledge that floored us over the years.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

that's an actual joke in the Mel Brooks film The Producers:

quote:

Roger De Bris : Did you know, I never knew that the Third Reich meant Germany. I mean it's just drenched with historical goodies like that...

of course at 1967 it would be all the more ludicrous.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
We're hitting the point that those that lived through WWII and the immediate aftermath are dying out in significant enough numbers. The cultural relevance to it are fading into far history instead of recent past. If your country wasn't directly involved with WWII would you learn about it in school?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Android Apocalypse posted:

We're hitting the point that those that lived through WWII and the immediate aftermath are dying out in significant enough numbers. The cultural relevance to it are fading into far history instead of recent past. If your country wasn't directly involved with WWII would you learn about it in school?

Australia was one of the first countries to declare war on Nazi Germany alongside Great Britain, Australian soldiers and naval vessels fought in North Africa and across the Mediterranean (most notably in The Battle of Tobruk and El Aleiman). They then went on to battle the Japanese all across the pacific. 30,000 Australian soldiers and sailors were captive (mostly by the Japanese), and 39,000 were killed.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Cage rules and is proof that every sport should allow at least one guy to do as many steroids as he wants.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

E: nm, not the place to talk about war and genocide, two things that are the opposite of bad rear end.

E2- here's a dog wearing a bad rear end coat to protect it from birds of prey:

Cocaine Bear has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Mar 24, 2021

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Australia was one of the first countries to declare war on Nazi Germany alongside Great Britain, Australian soldiers and naval vessels fought in North Africa and across the Mediterranean (most notably in The Battle of Tobruk and El Aleiman). They then went on to battle the Japanese all across the pacific. 30,000 Australian soldiers and sailors were captive (mostly by the Japanese), and 39,000 were killed.

I am sorry to say but those numbers are relatively low and the immediate threat of occupation by either Nazis, Japanese or Soviet Union was never realistically on the table so its just "terrible", not "national mindset-changing terrible".

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Cocaine Bear posted:

E2- here's a dog wearing a bad rear end coat to protect it from birds of prey:

The mismatch between the hardcore punk band vest, and the dog's look of uncertainty is the cherry on this cake.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qqgphklOZf1r0uzl6.mp4

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I'm guessing that croc wasn't feeling especially hungry.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Crocodiles are basically the goons of the river. I'm gonna lay down here and should something get near my maw I'll drag it down to the cold wet abyss from which nothing escapes.
Just taking it easy.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Flat boi was probly full and drowsy, as he does

Anyway,

https://twitter.com/WomenWinningWs/status/1374847397461901314?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Holy poo poo it's that scene from Monty Python's Life of Brian in real life :haw: