Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.
Anyone have any thoughts about the likelihood of Sony running some sort of sale before shutting down the PSP/Vita store? There are lots of PS Classics and PSP games I’d like to get if they were reasonably priced, but seems like there hasn’t been a sale on them in many many years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Senator Drinksalot posted:

What do you mean borrowed time? Do they just randomly break or is Sony gonna brick them?

They randomly break, and the failure rate seems to go up significantly the larger the capacity.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Kikuchiyo posted:

Anyone have any thoughts about the likelihood of Sony running some sort of sale before shutting down the PSP/Vita store? There are lots of PS Classics and PSP games I’d like to get if they were reasonably priced, but seems like there hasn’t been a sale on them in many many years

Most of the psx games are 6 dollars and psp games are usually 10. I don't think that's too unreasonable.

Square games seem to be priced 10 dollars higher than anything else but that's Square for you

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

They randomly break, and the failure rate seems to go up significantly the larger the capacity.

What a surprise, the needless proprietary memory that tanked the system is also super unreliable

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.

Most of the psx games are 6 dollars and psp games are usually 10. I don't think that's too unreasonable.

Square games seem to be priced 10 dollars higher than anything else but that's Square for you

You’re right - thought it was higher for some reason (in part because I just got FFIV for $15). Appreciate you pointing it out - time to get some PS Store credit, I suppose!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
P4G is not an exclusive any more.

With that in mind, what is exclusive to the Vita that is worth grabbing? The only thing I can think of is the Uncharted game. Maybe Tearaway, though that has a version on the PS4.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Little Big Planet on the vita is excellent and has a bunch of vita only features

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Soul Sacrifice Delta, for heaven's sake.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace too, but it's not as good as Soul Sacrifice. Also: Uncharted Golden Abyss, Killzone Mercenary, Oreishka, Muramasa, Freedom Wars, TxK, Lumines

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
It is astounding to me that they've never ported Soul Sacrifice Delta to anything.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Muramasa on vita had some unique dlc I think. Also I just recommend p4g even if it isn't exclusive anymore because portable rpgs are awesome and $20 for a digital copy is better than $50 physical (expect this to go up)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Anora posted:

It is astounding to me that they've never ported Soul Sacrifice Delta to anything.

Even Gravity Rush was ported to PS4. SSD is practically a Sony owned property so if it didn't sell like gangbusters they won't bother, I feel. I don't think we'll see a sequel for a while and it will probably be a Sony platform exclusive ie: Demon's Souls Remastered.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
GR made sense because Sony was working on a PS4 sequel and (GR2 spoiler) GR2 even used assets from the remaster

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Katamari

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Saoshyant posted:

All of them!

But if only picking one, probably Diva F2.

U-DO Burger posted:

this, they're all good, but I enjoyed Diva F 2nd the most

Thanks! I'll give F 2nd a shot

My fav Vita game is PS4 Remote Play, although I can't figure out how to unlink an existing PS4. Was extremely loving surprised when I started the link and it booted up my PS4 from several hundred miles away.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Seconded. My second favorite Katamari Game after We Love Katamari.

Edit: Also get the psp Katamari as well, it's pretty good.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Should I play Gravity Rush on Vita or PS4?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Necrothatcher posted:

PS4 definitely

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

PS4. The touch controls on the Vita were irritating and blessedly gone for the PS4 port and GR2.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Noted thanks!

And I already figured Tearaway is way more fun on Vita and am having a blast with it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

wouldn't be the deciding factor, but i do prefer gyro controls when they're attached to the screen

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Geo Fixer posted:

Seconded. My second favorite Katamari Game after We Love Katamari.

Edit: Also get the psp Katamari as well, it's pretty good.

The extra weird thing is the psp Katamari kind of sucks on the psp but is elevated to a whole new level when you use the vitas right analog stick. It becomes a whole new better game

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Hey gang! Wheelin' into this thread due to the Nintendo homebrew thread. I used the hacks.guide site for my 2DS and I noticed they have a guide for the vita as well. I don't really care for the form factor of my 2DS but the Vita looks like a comfortable device.

I used to have a modded PSP and really enjoyed it. Are modded Vitas very useful? They seem obtainable for decent prices. My use case would be emulators, videos, music, and maybe some Vita games (I haven't looked at the library yet). Stuff I'm doing on my phone with an 8bitdo and on my desktop anyway but I feel like the overall experience might be better with a Vita. That may also be rose colored glasses with my PSP experience.

Thanks!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

knuthgrush posted:

Hey gang! Wheelin' into this thread due to the Nintendo homebrew thread. I used the hacks.guide site for my 2DS and I noticed they have a guide for the vita as well. I don't really care for the form factor of my 2DS but the Vita looks like a comfortable device.

I used to have a modded PSP and really enjoyed it. Are modded Vitas very useful? They seem obtainable for decent prices. My use case would be emulators, videos, music, and maybe some Vita games (I haven't looked at the library yet). Stuff I'm doing on my phone with an 8bitdo and on my desktop anyway but I feel like the overall experience might be better with a Vita. That may also be rose colored glasses with my PSP experience.

Thanks!

They’re very good for all of those things, from that perspective now it’s basically a super PSP with a much nicer screen and a second analogue stick.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

knuthgrush posted:

Thanks!

Basically treat it as a suped up PSP. You can assign buttons to the second stick and get traditional third person controls. You can play PSX DualShock games properly by assigning L2/3 and R2/3 to the back pad. Some emulation runs a little better because it's a better processor than the PSP. There's a few Vita exclusives as was discussed. Original Vitas have nice OLED screens but a proprietary charger. 2000s have an LCD screen but I still think it looks nice and they have a micro usb charging port.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's an ok emulation device. Great for PSP, PS1, and GBA (and Vita games obviously), but even the SNES is a struggle.

Modding is recommended regardless because it allows you expand your memory space without spending a ton on the Vita's proprietary and unreliable memory cards. Also gives you better management of your games in case Sony ever pulls the plug on the backend.

I like the system, especially the screen (it makes for a great Gameboy), but some people oversell it's capabilities. I also don't love the ergonomics. Especially when using the sticks for longer periods. There's just not enough for your hands to grip, so you sorta have to pinch it with both hands. Less of an issue if you're not playing a third or first person game.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I was very disappointed in SNES emulation on my Vita even after overclocking it. If that’s a deal breaker for you keep it in mind.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The extra weird thing is the psp Katamari kind of sucks on the psp but is elevated to a whole new level when you use the vitas right analog stick. It becomes a whole new better game

I never played the psp version on my vita. I'll have to try that out!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's still broken up into too small chunks but it does play better at least

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I played LttP for the first time on Vita and it was mostly fine. Anything more intense than that is pretty much a no-go, and even segacd/turbo-cd stuff has troubles. People absolutely oversell the Vita's emulation capabilities. I also think that the form factor isn't very comfortable. I bought a grip that provides triggers that press on the touchpads for you, and it helps quite a bit. Without it, the touchpads are basically unusable and the thumb sticks quickly get painful, but with it the touchpads are fine-ish and the thumbsticks at least don't cause a lot of pain if I'm just playing for an hour.

basically, rinkles is right

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
How is emulation on the vita so poor? I removed playing emulated games on the PSP with no issue at all

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

It's probably hard to code for the vita, took people like 5 or 6 years just to jailbreak it

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
idk now that it's broken open people are doing all kinds of poo poo. They release a new Android ported game like every week lately. Someone got remote play working for AMD gaming PCs.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Don't you have to emulate the psp to run other emulators? (idk I haven't hacked my vita but that used to be the case) so the double emulation is probably rough on the vita's fairly weak cpu

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Don't you have to emulate the psp to run other emulators? (idk I haven't hacked my vita but that used to be the case) so the double emulation is probably rough on the vita's fairly weak cpu

I think most people are using the PSP emulators just because they are further along since they were developed years ago. Most homebrewers are focused on

Marx Headroom posted:

idk now that it's broken open people are doing all kinds of poo poo. They release a new Android ported game like every week lately. Someone got remote play working for AMD gaming PCs.

stuff like this because it's more interesting, imo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Lack of interest mostly. Switch gets a lot of emulator ports now because it's just a lovely Android tablet and most of those emulators had some sort of ARM target already.

The Vita is stuck in MIPS hell.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
The Vitas poor SNES legitimately has almost made me go down the rabbit hole of those cheap Android/Linux emulator handhelds. Some of them seem pretty awesome. I just want a all in one emulation handheld for up to PS1. The Vita is so close.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Lack of interest mostly. Switch gets a lot of emulator ports now because it's just a lovely Android tablet and most of those emulators had some sort of ARM target already.

The Vita is stuck in MIPS hell.

Isn't the recent wave of homebrew ports possible because the Vita is also an ARM device?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vita is ARM. Cortex A9. So emulate it on a new Macintosh. :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

The Vitas poor SNES legitimately has almost made me go down the rabbit hole of those cheap Android/Linux emulator handhelds. Some of them seem pretty awesome. I just want a all in one emulation handheld for up to PS1. The Vita is so close.

All are welcome friend

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937810

The RG351 is the new hotness and it can even upscale ps1 games.