Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
After going through the entire bottle of resin provided with this Anycubic Photon without a single successful print I have decided this hobby is not for me. Godspeed 3d print goons, you have more patience than I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Which certification? There are a lot of them.

CSWP-Mold Tools. It's pretty fun, but I'm looking forward to knocking out the less arcane certs for my CSWE.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah, all the EDU versions are strictly non-commercial, and the files are watermarked. It's certainly the best tool for the job, and the tools for injection molding are really great.

If you're going a startup route or something, there are programs for a free first year and discounted versions in following years.

I can go on, but if you're worried about transitioning from learning to commercial, I'm happy to help in DMs.
Appreciate it. Let me know if you have any tutorials you recommend for SW in general, or injection-molded parts.

Bondematt posted:

Bed springs and a quality Micro SD card are the only necessary upgrades.

Better Bowden tube, Bowden connections, and all metal extruder are nice to have and shouldn't mess with tuning the Ender as it's all close to stock.

I went with this kit and so far everything has been flawless once I squared my gantry. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081DN6RM2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Bought. What is a good capacity SD card? Thank you.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 23, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dominoes posted:

Appreciate it. Let me know if you have any tutorials you recommend for SW in general, or injection-molded parts.

SOLIDWORKS has some great built-in tutorials, hit the help question mark in the top right corner and hit "tutorials."

I recommend the "getting started" ones. There is a mold design tutorial under the "advanced techniques" heading, and this YouTube video seems to capture the basics:

https://youtu.be/yqROZFStz6c

And come blow up the CAD thread! New posters are fun, and there's a load of experience in there:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962532

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hell yea brother

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Springfield Fatts posted:

After going through the entire bottle of resin provided with this Anycubic Photon without a single successful print I have decided this hobby is not for me. Godspeed 3d print goons, you have more patience than I.

That's unfortunate. I wonder if the resin itself was bad. Was it old?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NewFatMike posted:

CSWP-Mold Tools. It's pretty fun, but I'm looking forward to knocking out the less arcane certs for my CSWE.

Reminds me I need to decide what certs to take so I can unlock my own CSWE. I've already got the one for Sheet Metal, thinking the rest should be Weldments, Mold Tools and Drawing Tools (because gently caress Surfacing?).

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tell us about the failed prints and your settings and I’m sure we can help.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Reminds me I need to decide what certs to take so I can unlock my own CSWE. I've already got the one for Sheet Metal, thinking the rest should be Weldments, Mold Tools and Drawing Tools (because gently caress Surfacing?).

Surfacing is fun, took me two tries, but it was fun. You'll use a bunch of the tools in mold design, so you'll at least get the most fun parts out of it.

Sheet metal, weldments, and drawings after that though 🙃

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Doctor Zero posted:

Tell us about the failed prints and your settings and I’m sure we can help.

Some failed 6mm buildings.

This was closest I got to a success and the bottom still turned out wonky and unfinished.

This is supposed to be a pzIV hull but for some reason the print compressed and distorted way out of ratio from what the slicing software had. The turret didn't even attempt to print.

Current settings.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

If that's a "classic" (non-mono screen) Photon, then your layer exposure time is too low for that green resin. 8 seconds is usually about right, and maybe 9 or 10 if the ambient temperature is below 65F or so.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

This was closest I got to a success and the bottom still turned out wonky and unfinished.

This is supposed to be a pzIV hull but for some reason the print compressed and distorted way out of ratio from what the slicing software had. The turret didn't even attempt to print.

Current settings.

A couple suggestions:

1) Chitubox can load default profiles for most printers. Open your settings and click the Add New Printer button and then pick your particular machine. Usually this will put you in the right ballpark for settings where at least you shouldn't be failing prints spectacularly.
2) Start by printing stuff that is pre-supported. Adding supports manually is a whole other can of worms that takes some learning and practice. Trying to learn how to do supports while also tuning your machine makes it really hard to determine if the problem is your settings or the way the supports were added.
3) The USB thumbdrives that come with 3D printers are notorious for being the cheapest POS the company could find and can become corrupted easily. You might try a fresh USB drive just to be safe, or reformat the one that came with the machine. Also try not to pull the USB out of either the printer or your computer without ejecting it first or powering the machine off. This can corrupt the files and then it prints weird poo poo.

From someone who is new to this as well just bear in mind that the hardest part is the initial stage you're in where you're trying to get things dialed in. If you can get past that it should be much smoother sailing going forward.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 23, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Acid Reflux posted:

If that's a "classic" (non-mono screen) Photon, then your layer exposure time is too low for that green resin. 8 seconds is usually about right, and maybe 9 or 10 if the ambient temperature is below 65F or so.

I agree. That looks like under exposure to me. The supports are malformed and don't look like they ever connected to the model, so I don't think it's getting pulled off them by suction. The squishing is because when the model is under supported (as it would be without the supports being attached) the layers stick to the FEP, but then eventually come loose at a higher point. That's also why one might get pancaking.

Springfield, I would try using this as a starting guide:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1crvzMnt_8NJXAsABinoIhcOjE8l3h7s0L82Zlh1vkL8/edit#gid=0

And before you print anything else, you probably want to run an exposure test. Slice this for 8 seconds, change your lower exposure to 60, try to keep where your printer is warm (like over 70 degrees F) and try it:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4707289

It only takes 10 minutes to print. Then try it at 7.5 seconds and see what happens. Then at 8.5. Whichever looks best to you, keep that setting. I wouldn't go massively lower than what's in that spreadsheet, as it's clear at 6.5 it isn't working. Do this every time you get a new resin until you get a good feel for your printer and what it likes.

Also make sure you are cleaning your FEP after every failure. I assume you are, since you haven't mentioned any just leaks into your printer.

Good luck! :patriot: let us know how it goes.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks guys, I'll give this a go tomorrow. Yeah I've had the Photon settings updated to chitubox, and tried doing the manual supports + photon validator but it's insanely time consuming.
I have been cleaning the fep after every print (since every print has been a failure), and am paranoid because I've had sticking but every website says to be careful not to overly scrape the fep. But that poo poo is really stuck on there sometimes and IPA just isn't enough to loosen it up sometimes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The fact that it's stuck strongly into the film is a good sign that the resin is good and the machine is working fine, and that you just need to increase the exposure time (as the chunks on the film are getting) to make it work.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

I have been cleaning the fep after every print (since every print has been a failure), and am paranoid because I've had sticking but every website says to be careful not to overly scrape the fep. But that poo poo is really stuck on there sometimes and IPA just isn't enough to loosen it up sometimes.

I dunno what the goon consensus on it is here, but if possible try putting a drop or two of PTFE oil/3-in-1 oil or RainX on the FEP film before printing (the side that the build plate contacts during printing). I usually put a drop in, rub it around the FEP film with my gloved fingers, and then put resin in and print. It doesn't 100% stop failed prints from happening, but it does ensure they won't stick to the FEP film when they do.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Dominoes posted:

I went with 16gb, it was $10 for 2 on amazon. I dont know if there is a low limit for capacity but 16 is way more than I'll ever need

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Current settings.

Clear resin is also annoying as poo poo because of light bleed through. Normal grey or whatever will give you way less of a hard time

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Bondematt posted:

I went with 16gb, it was $10 for 2 on amazon. I dont know if there is a low limit for capacity but 16 is way more than I'll ever need
Thanks!

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I want to print a whistle on my resin printer. Once it's fully cured, inside and out, I'll still probably want to give it some sort of coating, right? I think I have some food-safe spray varnish around.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Thanks guys, I'll give this a go tomorrow. Yeah I've had the Photon settings updated to chitubox, and tried doing the manual supports + photon validator but it's insanely time consuming.

Buy a racquet ball and put it under the FEP. Move the tank around while lightly pressing down on the ball around the edges of the failed print and one edge should pop off the FEP. Then you can shove the plastic scraper under it.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

^^ That's a really cool idea, hadn't heard of it before. I've had pretty good luck with the ol' Mk1 Mod 0 fingertip, but I imagine a ball doesn't leave much by way of evidence fingerprints behind.

Toebone posted:

I want to print a whistle on my resin printer. Once it's fully cured, inside and out, I'll still probably want to give it some sort of coating, right? I think I have some food-safe spray varnish around.
Nope, you really don't want even cured resin in your mouth. Whatever you use for coating, just make sure it's not water-soluble so it doesn't potentially get washed off with spit/sweat/rain. I'd think that anything marketed as food-safe wouldn't be an issue, but it never hurts to double check.

Alternatively: buy a whistle. It's going to be both safer to gnaw on and likely far more durable.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
If I still have to go buy pointless plastic crap what's the point of a 3D printer :mad:

(you're probably right)

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I get it! I spent some time last week here at work designing and printing a dumb little box for a simple piece of test gear I was building. It really would have been easier and cheaper to just order a project box from Amazon or something, but the boss thinks it's kind of cool when I can make things "from scratch". Plus it's a lovely sparkly gold color because that's the only filament I have here right now. :v:

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Yeah sure you could just use a jar or w/e as a pen holder. Or, you could be ostentatious about it,

(Please excuse my under extrusion. I'm debugging it right now)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't see underextrusion in that picture. the bottom looks a little crunchy, like you could turn on elephant foot compensation, but the rest of the print looks fine

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Took the thread's advice and ran some exposure validation prints and it looks like 9.5s should be my baseline. I also nabbed a pre-supported model offline as my test print so hopefully in about 4 hours I'll see some improvements.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
There is such a thing as biocompatible resins intended for dental & medical applications that would definitely count as mouth-safe (and can even be sterilized.)

But they are spendy & none of them are sold for e.g. a photon or mars (though they could probably be made to work well enough to make a whistle or whatever if you fiddled the settings enough, they are UV resins for SLA after all.)

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Sagebrush posted:

I don't see underextrusion in that picture. the bottom looks a little crunchy, like you could turn on elephant foot compensation, but the rest of the print looks fine

It's more noticeable when unpainted.

Further shown on some tests:

e: It seems to be that I have no idea how to use fans with PLA.

Serenade fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 24, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Took the thread's advice and ran some exposure validation prints and it looks like 9.5s should be my baseline. I also nabbed a pre-supported model offline as my test print so hopefully in about 4 hours I'll see some improvements.

That's awesome, fingers crossed that you get some good results, from one historical wargamer to another. :)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Serenade posted:

Further shown on some tests:

e: It seems to be that I have no idea how to use fans with PLA.

I doubt that's fans as much as some extrusion problem. I checked your post history and saw that you replaced the plastic extruder arm so that shouldn't be a problem any more, but I'd still maybe run an e-step check to make sure it's feeding properly, make sure the gear doesn't have shredded plastic built up in the teeth, check spring tension, and if you've been running abrasive stuff maybe make sure the bowden tube is seated correctly. I've even changed mine out before when I've had problems where I've had to pull a big blob of plastic back through it, just in case it messed the tube up or something (honestly, I don't think it did, but capricorn wasn't too pricey and seems to have tighter tolerances).

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

Serenade posted:

Looks to me like PTFE is notched from shark bite couplers and isn’t maintaining registration/seal against the nozzle allowing a “donut” of molten mass to form between the nozzle and the PTFE, seen it a hundred times.

Working on direct serial access for Pi to avoid the cabling mess and also the whole Pi back powering tape the v+ line blahhhhhh.

Came out ok but I’m gonna make my own thing to bolt right to the side of the Creality chassis.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Hell yes thread, thanks to all who gave top notch advice. My first fully successful print!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Hell yes thread, thanks to all who gave top notch advice. My first fully successful print!

:hellyeah: 3d printing is mostly alternating between feeling like an idiot and feeling like a genius.

Glad you got it sorted!!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Doctor Zero posted:

:hellyeah: 3d printing is mostly alternating between feeling like an idiot and feeling like a genius.

Glad you got it sorted!!

Sounds like my RHCE studies this week.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Congrats! :hfive: Is that one of the "Robot Legions" figures fron One Page Games, by chance? Been meaning to print some of those out.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Congrats! :hfive: Is that one of the "Robot Legions" figures fron One Page Games, by chance? Been meaning to print some of those out.

Yeah its the free one from their Cults3d page. If you're interested do the 10 buck patreon pledge before March ends, there's a bunch of models bundled.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Yeah its the free one from their Cults3d page. If you're interested do the 10 buck patreon pledge before March ends, there's a bunch of models bundled.

Oh, way ahead of ya there ;)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yeah that and check the power connections, make sure there isn't dumb stuff like soldered wire tips going into screw-down terminals.

Can someone link me to a guide on how to do this, or give me a more baby-level explanation? I am at a very beginner level when it comes to working with electronics components. I know what a screw terminal is, and I have a very basic understanding of how soldering works. Beyond that, I don't know how to identify "a soldered wire tip going into a screw-down terminal", why it's bad, or how to fix it. If there are other common wiring problems with these machines, I don't know about them either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Nice, glad it worked out.