Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I mean if it was a Chinese developer there would be somewhat of a cause for concern because China loves to steal the intellectual property of other countries. Its not though, Taiwan is a different country. The only reason China was able to kill the game was because of the publisher.

I don't know if this is tongue-in-cheek or just don't know the situation, but Taiwan is not a "whole other country." It is a semi-autonomous Island that China has claimed for decades at this point, and the rest of the worlds governments all deal with Taiwan as an independent nation while acknowledging that it is a part of China. It is very much in a limbo state, and the Chinese government has a great deal of power and does exert authority, especially when they feel slighted, and the Taiwan government caves to avoid an actual full on takeover. Their Independence as a nation is hanging by a very, very slim thread. Many political analysts feel that the only thing keeping China from treating Taiwan exactly like Hong Kong is that A) Taiwan does not flout its independence in media the way Hong Kong did, and B) they really don't want to be embroiled in two major occupations right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

, Taiwan is a different country.

According to both the Chinese government and the Taiwanese government Taiwan is China but they disagree on what that means.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Played Devotion for myself instead of just watching a walkthrough, for the first time. Man. That ending does not get any easier to watch, what a loving punch to the gut.

I also have a ridiculous fear of snakes and started getting legitimately queasy during the walk down the hall with the big gently caress off snake, ugh.

Short but so, so good. I can't wait to see what else Red Candle comes up with.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I mean if it was a Chinese developer there would be somewhat of a cause for concern because China loves to steal the intellectual property of other countries. Its not though, Taiwan is a different country. The only reason China was able to kill the game was because of the publisher.
I would honestly not put it past the Chinese government to, I don't know, seed Chinese torrent sites with versions of the game that have some sort of trojan or other malware in them, simply on the basis of how utterly petty about it they have been so far. Then again, that isn't any different from regular :filez:, so it's not like it would really make a difference.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TheAnomaly posted:

I don't know if this is tongue-in-cheek or just don't know the situation, but Taiwan is not a "whole other country." It is a semi-autonomous Island that China has claimed for decades at this point, and the rest of the worlds governments all deal with Taiwan as an independent nation while acknowledging that it is a part of China. It is very much in a limbo state, and the Chinese government has a great deal of power and does exert authority, especially when they feel slighted, and the Taiwan government caves to avoid an actual full on takeover. Their Independence as a nation is hanging by a very, very slim thread. Many political analysts feel that the only thing keeping China from treating Taiwan exactly like Hong Kong is that A) Taiwan does not flout its independence in media the way Hong Kong did, and B) they really don't want to be embroiled in two major occupations right now.
Yes I know both countries claim to be China, but I'm talking about the country that most people associate with the name China (PRC). I know Taiwan is also known as the Republic of China. Taiwan already sees itself as an independent country and it has received the recognition of 15 other nations, they just want to avoid provoking China by really pushing it. I just didn't want to deep dive into the political situation. I just like saying Taiwan is an independent country at every opportunity. It really pisses off Winnie the Pooh and his nationalist bootlickers whenever people recognize it as independent. China might put a lot of pressure on Taiwan, but even china isn't ready to put the nation fully under its heels yet.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Lmao who cares everyone with a little money already has your info if they want it, you weirdos. I'm more likely to trust the 2gb file Devotion came on than the 71gb file that is Fortnite, but whatever.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like every discussion about China on this forum eventually drifts from condemnations of the CCP's horrible policies and barely-covered-up atrocities into "those dang sneaky Chinese want to steal my social security number" and inevitably ends up at blatant sinophobia.

anyway play Devotion it's a good game

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 17, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
China has little use for my data and probably doesn't even want it, so I don't care all that much about it from that perspective. I'm personally more concerned about Chinese citizens who might want to download the game, considering what the CCP likes to do to dissidents. Given the shitstorm the game caused practically over no real reason whatsoever, I think there might be a legitimate risk of that here if they catch a warez version with some sort of government malware in it. There is a crazy amount of electronic surveillance being done by the Chinese government these days, and most of it aimed at its own citizens.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like every discussion about China on this forum eventually drifts from condemnations of the CCP's horrible policies and barely-covered-up atrocities into "those dang sneaky Chinese want to steal my social security number" and inevitably ends up at blatant sinophobia.

its extremely frustrating that its always simultaneously "no no i only distrust the ccp" and "every person in china/taiwan is just a proxy of the ccp, waiting to be activated"

we don't refer to discord as an arm of the us government, but they log all of your text chat and give it to them whenever they ask

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It is a weird world we live in where a corporation is more insidious than a foreign government because your information is actually worth money to Facebook.

Anyway I’m not far into Mundaun but it absolutely nails the aesthetic and at least promises something along the lines of Kona, a sort of half puzzle adventure half walking sim with some survival horror thrown in, the best of both worlds. Like I’m getting vibes of the first half of Dark Corners of the Earth. You know the good half.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I sure love talking about the CCP in my horror video games thread

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

drkeiscool posted:

I sure love talking about the CCP in my horror video games thread

It is pretty horrific.

But it is also directly tied to the finally made available again, very good game, Devotion.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Okay the puppet show in Control is great and single-handedly justifies the money I spent on it.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

I’m glad to have finally had the opportunity to play Devotion, enjoyed it, but definitely quite short.

Although I will say that when you unlock the “hub” the feeling of tension that everything before that has kind of disappears. But the lack of tension in the later game is replaced by Jesus loving Christ urgh I’m ripping out my own tongue

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

al-azad posted:

Anyway I’m not far into Mundaun but it absolutely nails the aesthetic and at least promises something along the lines of Kona, a sort of half puzzle adventure half walking sim with some survival horror thrown in, the best of both worlds. Like I’m getting vibes of the first half of Dark Corners of the Earth. You know the good half.

Part of the way into this myself. I like it quite a bit; very, very strong Pathologic vibes, helped by the interesting art style, wastes no time in getting freaky. Being in another language with English subtitles (romansh? I think it's called?) lends a lot to the gamefeel.

Recommended!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In Devotion there's an optional scene I missed where you go up to a mirror and the guy on the other side says, "Now claim what you deserve - your greatest hope." Then he points to the locked bathroom. When in the game is this moment?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Relin posted:

i'm paranoid about china letting devotion be available again with malware. if there's no complaints for a while from users, then i'll buy it

I think you meant to post on the games forum at donald.win

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I beat SOMA and drat that was a loving downer of an ending

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I wanna play something like Salazar House. What should I get?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hilario Baldness posted:

I beat SOMA and drat that was a loving downer of an ending

Did you stick around after the credits? it’s less than ideal, but it’s slightly less of a downer

I just saw the trailer for The Callisto Protocol and jesus loving christ. :stonk:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Xenomrph posted:

jesus loving christ. :stonk:

My reaction when I learned there was a PUBG expanded universe :v:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I wanna play something like Salazar House. What should I get?

I don't have an answer for you, other than going back to Uninvited, which is pretty clearly one of the key inspirations for it. There's also From Beyond Prologue on Steam, that does that same first-person horror puzzle/adventure aesthetic, but I couldn't get very far. The writing is pretty poor (or poorly translated) and it's pretty kill-happy, so it became a tedious experience of trial and error.

I wish there was more like it, though. Salazar House wasn't perfect but it was fun.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Did you stick around after the credits? it’s less than ideal, but it’s slightly less of a downer

I did and I'm still just flattened by how bleak that future was.

Xenomrph posted:

I just saw the trailer for The Callisto Protocol and jesus loving christ. :stonk:

God I'm glad Glen Schofield is back to doing Dead Space style horror.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
How did China stop a game from being released on steam in the US?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

By being such a major market for Valve that they can no longer afford to simply say "no and gently caress you" when the CCP wants something and sics their 'concerned gamers' on them.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

DropsySufferer posted:

How did China stop a game from being released on steam in the US?

companies have realized that preemptively doing this is an easy win: they get to do the cowardly lovely move of gutting an indie game because it MIGHT be controversial, while letting all of the public blame fall on the scary foreign government

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Valve’s defense Redcandle pulled the game from Steam when the publisher folded. Valve actually did review bombing clean up which I don’t think they’ve ever done.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the games unavailability for 2 years was a result of some tax code or local law that prevented them from doing business on foreign platforms without a representative so self publishing on their own platform is the only resort.

GOG is the only platform that publicly said “gently caress off” which was extra damning because apparently the game cleared their approval process but once it was made public they got cold feet. Maybe they shopped it around to Humble or GMG but the only known dealing was with GOG.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 23, 2021

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't have an answer for you, other than going back to Uninvited, which is pretty clearly one of the key inspirations for it. There's also From Beyond Prologue on Steam, that does that same first-person horror puzzle/adventure aesthetic, but I couldn't get very far. The writing is pretty poor (or poorly translated) and it's pretty kill-happy, so it became a tedious experience of trial and error.

I wish there was more like it, though. Salazar House wasn't perfect but it was fun.

It was a good game and it hits a bunch of buttons for me in particular- being trapped in a haunted house, having to unravel the mystery of what happened, solving puzzles relating to the haunting, avoiding or confronting manifestations. Real pity that the Alone in the Dark sequels went away from most of that in favor of a heavy focus on action and combat in an engine spectacularly unsuited for that, but what can you do?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Anyone played Mundaun yet? The trailer didn't grab me, but I've heard good things.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I find it weirdly hard to believe its hand-penciled claim, because that game looks exactly like low-res 3D run through a mediocre sepia filter.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Aw, the devlog isn't on the website anymore what the heck. I've been following the game's development for like 4 years.

But it's all hand drawn textures. The devs' previous game was their bachelor art project.

As for the game itself it's a narrative adventure with some stealth/combat. I compare it to Kona or the first half of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Rides With Strangers never came out, huh?

It's a shame because I always appreciate unique horror game ideas

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Sharkitten posted:

Rides With Strangers never came out, huh?

It's a shame because I always appreciate unique horror game ideas

According to the creator's twitter feed it's scheduled for Q4 2021

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Been playing Visage recently but it’s just so goddamn clunky with the inventory and how you interact with stuff while holding things. I still really like it tho

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So is Layers of Fear 2 worth a tenner or has it been summarily dismissed as not very good

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's probly alright for :10bux:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think it's honestly just overall not really worth playing. If you're buying it, though, ten dollars is probably okay.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

man nurse posted:

So is Layers of Fear 2 worth a tenner or has it been summarily dismissed as not very good

The game is so tedious and by rote that I couldn't even make it 10 minutes into it.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Professor Wayne posted:

Anyone played Mundaun yet? The trailer didn't grab me, but I've heard good things.

Considering it's more or less been done by one person (with help by other persons, and a lot of Swiss govermnment grant money, apparently), it's certainly impressive.

It's very low-res on the models though, and the pencil-drawn textures don't work for everything, especially people's faces. Puzzles are relatively easy, and most of the fights are avoidable. Also, your character heals automatically, so running away from a fight is often an option. There is also a RPG-lite element in that you can boost your stats (damage resistance, gun accuracy and panic resistance) by finding and/or crafting objects (eat bread to gain health, read gun manuals to get better aim, craft coffee out of water, firewood and coffee beans to get more courage), which feel a bit unnecessary. Plus, you get the occasional "I can't go that way because of reasons" annoyance.

What the game does have, however, is atmosphere galore.
I live in southern Germany, so the landscape looks very familiar (mountains, huge meadows/fields), and it's cool to see it used to such unsettling effect. The pencil-drawn look makes everything look incredibly bleak and hopeless. Sound design is amazing.
As far as the story goes, it's not Lovecraftian or aliens, or zombies, but relatively low-key folklore-type "Faustian bargain" stuff, but at the same time it feels a lot more personal that way. Most of the enemies match the folksy setting as well (animated bundles of straw, weird faceless beekeepers, and an actual Krampus).
All the characters in the game speak Rhaeto-Romanic, a dialect spoken in Switzerland that has elements of Italian, German and other languages, but you get optional subtitles, including German and English. The language barrier added another layer of weirdness, for me at least.
The main antagonist is literally the devil, portrayed as an old man in a slouch hat walking with a cane, who comes to claim his due. His presence is felt throughout the game, and one more than one occasion you can see him standing outside your house under a streetlamp staring at you, or there's a great scene with a clear mountain lake that will suddenly have his towering reflection shown in it, so the feeling of dread is never quite gone.

There are, I think, four possible endings to the game (at least that's how many I found), with one minor and one major change to the outcome. Opportunities to save your progress are plenty.
The game should take up about 5 to 8 hours to complete at first play, and a lot less during later attempts.

Get it for cheap if you can, and don't go in with too many expectations. It's essentially an indie game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
man night trap sucks. i guess youre supposed to replay it ad nauseum to see all the scenes but the constant flipping away to deal with augurs is annoying. i watched the scene congress flipped out about and rolled my eyes. setting aside contemporary slasher flicks, NT was much less violent than even contemporary games! i wish it had helped the sega cd more