Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I had preordered mine and it came on Saturday. I haven't watch it yet but the steelbook itself is real nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching it now, but it seems brighter, but in horrible at doing these comparisons. Also it could just be watching it in 4K.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Did they fix the blu ray copy too?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CelticPredator posted:

No clue, I haven’t check that version.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I just compared the UHD to the 2014 bluray. I tried to take photos with my phone but my phone ironically kept making the 2014 version look way better than what I was actually seeing on screen.

The UHD is indeed brighter. The final act was actually way more visible.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I haven't done picture comparisons but it looks like they just repackaged the old discs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sorry to triple post. The steelbook uses the same key art from the 2014 steelbook.

There is a button the bluray steelbook that plays the roar sound effect but the battery has died. :(

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

The Blu-ray is the same as the original issue.

Here's some of what Blu-ray.com said about the 4k disc:

quote:

While certainly not a complete visual overhaul, Warner Bros.' new 2160p, HDR-enhanced transfer of Godzilla is an improved presentation of a film that isn't designed to look pretty...once you see this disc it'll be hard to revisit the Blu-ray. Subtle refinements make a big difference here: elements like fire, explosions, and glowing eyes pop much more boldly against the darkest backgrounds, which are thankfully a little easier to see thanks to this 4K disc's better shadow detail and more refined black levels. (The "train attack" scene, for example, was so dark on the Blu-ray that it was difficult to follow everything.) The improved saturation during certain interior sequences -- such as the cave exploration by Dr. Ishirō Serizawa and his team, as well as the control room headed by Admiral William Stenz (David Strathairn) -- look more immediately impressive, while even less intense moments like a conversation between Joe Brody and his son Ford hold a more intimate warmth. Meanwhile, establishing shots in The Philippines, Tokyo, Janjira Nuclear Power Plant, San Francisco, and other locations reveal a greater level of image detail and depth, as do the countless wide shots revealing massive levels of destruction caused by Godzilla and his foes.

It's pretty obvious that mild amounts of sharpening and noise reduction were applied to certain scenes and shots, while stray compression-related issues could still be spotted along the way. Black crush, while thankfully kept to a minimum, still rears its ugly head at a few inopportune moments. (You can probably guess where.) But overall, this 4K disc still represents a fairly sizable upgrade over the 2014 Blu-ray...

If you are wondering, 2160p was not a typo. This transfer is from a 2k digital intermediate so it, "...technically makes this an upscale."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well I went and bought a 4k player for this and I can’t even find the drat movie anywheee. No trace of it.

So I got owned.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KoTM is easy to find.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Watching the UHD of Godzilla now and god drat this movie is good. The music is astounding.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

KoTM is easy to find.

Yeah i love it and all but I want the remastered Godzilla 2014.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Watching the UHD of Godzilla now and god drat this movie is good. The music is astounding.

I think this might be the last time I bought a movie soundtrack on compact disc.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I found it at a local non chain. Insane that this is so tough to find.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Just started it. Man, I really like Ken Watanabe as Serazawa :unsmith:

edit: I forgot about the kaiju movie poster in the kid's room.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

G’14 is one of the best Hollywood action movies of the last decade, hands down. Every monster shot is breathtaking.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh man I forgot about the Mothra life cycle poster in the school room.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
loving hell, the list of supported devices for HBO Max 4k is awful. Is this even coming out in 4k on that?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The Blu-ray is the same as the original issue.

Here's some of what Blu-ray.com said about the 4k disc:

If you are wondering, 2160p was not a typo. This transfer is from a 2k digital intermediate so it, "...technically makes this an upscale."

4k is 2160p. 2k isn't a commonly used term for video resolution, are you saying the digital intermediary was 1080p?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol I forgot about the flub in G14 after the first G attack in Honolulu. The next morning at the devastation there are seagulls flying around. There are no seagulls in Hawaii (thank god). It's too far away from any major land body for them to be able to get to.

Man I love that first G reveal at the airport.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did you hear about that pigeon that flew from LA to Australia?

drat shame they had to kill it. That pigeon accomplished way more than I'll ever do.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

lol I forgot about the flub in G14 after the first G attack in Honolulu. The next morning at the devastation there are seagulls flying around. There are no seagulls in Hawaii (thank god). It's too far away from any major land body for them to be able to get to.

I'm gonna introduce seagulls to Hawaii, Simpsons style.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm gonna introduce seagulls to Hawaii, Simpsons style.

Don't you loving DARE :mad:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Oh man I forgot about the Mothra life cycle poster in the school room.

I'm annoyed that it has been 7 years since G14 came out and no one has made a version of the poster that I can buy.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

They rode there on Godzilla's back

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Holy poo poo that might have been the most fun I've had at a movie since Fury Road. Definitely worth the extra to see it in IMAX.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Captain_Person posted:

Holy poo poo that might have been the most fun I've had at a movie since Fury Road. Definitely worth the extra to see it in IMAX.

I went to the cinema with captain person and here is my review.

quote:

I SAW THIS MASTERPIECE AT MY LOCAL IMAX THEATRE AND MY TESTOSTERONE LEVELS DOUBLED DURING THE COURSE OF ITS RUNTIME. THE PREMISE? GARBAGE. THE GENERAL PLOT? MADE ENTIRELY NO SENSE. DID IT gently caress? ABSOLUTELY, HOLY poo poo.

5 STARS

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Captain_Person posted:

If you’re overhyping it I’m going to kill you.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Look I went in with low expectations just wanting to see a giant monkey punch a giant lizard and had a loving blast. It's dumb in the best possible way, all the fights are easy to follow and includes Godzilla and Kong tag-teaming to ram Mechagodzilla's head through a skyscraper

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain_Person posted:

Look I went in with low expectations just wanting to see a giant monkey punch a giant lizard and had a loving blast. It's dumb in the best possible way, all the fights are easy to follow and includes Godzilla and Kong tag-teaming to ram Mechagodzilla's head through a skyscraper

Oh, how'd you see it?

Deets please

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

I live in New Zealand, got to see an advance screening at the local IMAX ahead of the general release tomorrow.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain_Person posted:

I live in New Zealand, got to see an advance screening at the local IMAX ahead of the general release tomorrow.

Anything else to report?

I am jealous for the record

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Soundtrack is nothing special, but the two main themes are up on Spotify if you're curious. All the action is cleanly shot with pops of colour, especially the Hong Kong fight. So much of the plot itself is dumb as all hell but almost reminds me of the Mandalorian, in that the creators are clearly having fun and presenting that so earnestly. Plus as a Kiwi it's always fun to see Julian Dennison show up with his accent.

Honestly the best review I can give is that Solus and I were cackling with glee for most of the film.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
How would you compare it to both Skull Island and KOTM?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Goddamnit I had it in my head that this was out on streaming today, looks like I’ve got another week to wait

I hate it when that happens

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Just got back from seeing it in the cinema (so weird, first time in a cinema in over a year and it just felt strange). Non-spoilery stuff: it's my favourite of the monsterverse movies for sure - I did like Skull Island, I had a soft spot for Godzilla14, and thought KOTM had a couple of ok moments (basically Rodan) but was overall a missed opportunity. Reviews weren't wrong: we finally get to see some proper, clear monster fights. And they beat the living gently caress out of each other. I thought the human element was still poo poo, but it was the best of the movies bar Skull Island. Dad from the last movie basically had no reason to be there, he was literally just there so Millie Bobby Brown could be there, so for those who don't like him there's not much worry there. There was really only 1 character that annoyed me, which was the main comic relief kid and even he wasn't as bad as the KOTM comic relief guy. Mostly the human characters were just .. meh. I also really thought it could have done without the Hollow Earth stuff, but eh, a giant Lizard and Monkey punched each other a lot and looked awesome!

Spoilery-stuff It went pretty much as you'd expect: Godzilla and Kong beat on each other a lot until Mecha G turns up and they team up to defeat him. I actually liked how they explained why Godzilla was so pissed - at first they said he was scared that he was being "replaced" by Mecha G, which was dumb. But when the reveal came that the Ghidorah DNA or whatever it was, was basically taking over the Mech G and it was now sentient - it made sense after KOTM. Godzilla sensing somehow that it was Gidorah and hunting/looking for him.

I went in expecting Kong to basically defeat Godzilla, then Kong gets into a battle with Mecha only for G to come back and save the day by sacrificing himself. Expected it to be Kong the last one standing and the King of the Monsters, King Kong. Did not expect Godzilla to basically outright win the fight only to spare Kong's life. I liked that as being on #teamgodzilla. Mecha G absolutely ruining Godzilla's poo poo was cool, but the tag team move team ups between Kong and G were awesome.

As mentioned the Hollow Earth stuff was pretty lame and they could have spent that time better. It was basically all so Kong could get his ancient axe made out of a Godzilla fin. I would have preferred Kong actually legit ripping the fin off of Godzilla and then fashioning the axe himself.

I guess its left open for possible sequels if they are able to do more Godzilla stuff, but certainly left open for more Kong stuff. Normally the sort of "no one wins" ends to these things annoy me the way they both ended up showing respect to each other and going their separate ways. But given we basically got a clear winner in the fight (just without a death) I didn't feel too cheated.

All in all, it was dumb fun and I enjoyed it. The Hong Kong fight was the highlight for me.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 24, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Wwow cant believe they let this one slip by, cancel the whole dang movie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just got back from the cinema and I agree with pretty much everything everyone else just said. It looks like I was way more annoyed by the utterly stupid script though - I tried to relax and just enjoy it as a dumb spectacle but it still distracted the hell out of me. This goes beyond "turn your brain off and just go with it" territory and pushes way into the "just accept it's going to annoy you and wait for the bits you do like" zone. Also there's a bunch of moments that are supposed to be comedic but I think there was only one decent laugh in my cinema. It's sub-Saturday-morning-cartoon levels of writing.

I just checked the wikipedia page and it turns out that Terry Rossio was in charge of the writers room which patched the script together which explains a hell of a lot. It's a big ugly mess of fun action scenes limply strung together by the weakest plot lines that often don't make a lick of sense, just like most of his scripts.

thepokey posted:

As mentioned the Hollow Earth stuff was pretty lame and they could have spent that time better. It was basically all so Kong could get his ancient axe made out of a Godzilla fin. I would have preferred Kong actually legit ripping the fin off of Godzilla and then fashioning the axe himself.

But if he didn't get the magical kaiju Excalibur passed down from his ancestors it would have just been a regular axe and they wouldn't have been able to do the Avengers-style "power me up so I can kick the poo poo out of that other guy" bit at the end. :v:

E: if anyone is wondering if there's a post-credits scene nope.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

Wwow cant believe they let this one slip by, cancel the whole dang movie

I know it's a stupid complaint, but having lived in Hawaii it sticks out like a sore thumb. It would be like if there was just a throwaway scene in San Francisco during the aftermath and people are getting rescued and relieved that the fighting is over and just casually milling around with the herds of moose that just happen to be there for atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh poo poo the entire end of the movie is already up on youtube, I wasn't even looking for it

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I know it's a stupid complaint, but having lived in Hawaii it sticks out like a sore thumb. It would be like if there was just a throwaway scene in San Francisco during the aftermath and people are getting rescued and relieved that the fighting is over and just casually milling around with the herds of moose that just happen to be there for atmosphere.

I will not stand for this hula moose erasure