Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

aphid_licker posted:

Tiny excavator single-handedly redeems 2021.

Imagine if the boap behind them had broadsided them to cap things off

If you click through the Twitter link there’s an Instagram post from the Maersk Denver, the ship next in line. They’re claiming the Ever Given cut them off to get into the canal and that the ship behind them had engine problems and did almost run into them.

edit: hey there it is V

koshmar fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/mightygodking/status/1374474575044505603

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/UuwDx1t.gifv

Apparently he wouldn’t give her a cigarette.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
the captain should have read How To Avoid Large Countries

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Panama? No I think that won't help, but they should try Jump!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Azhais posted:

Someone in the schadenfreude thread clarified that evergreen marine is the owner and all their ships are "ever something"

oh thank god , I was just about to have a break-down over this guy saying Ever Given constantly

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Azhais posted:

I wonder what kind of fines come with blocking the Suez

You will feel the wrath of Britain, France and Israel.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Oh, oh, I know this one. You just have to let the air out of the boat tires and it should be able to just squeeze through

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
So when does another ship just ram them?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why don't they just lower the ship?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ekuNNN posted:

Why don't they just lower the ship?

You idiot. They should raise the canal.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

a lot of them are rental trucks, meaning that an inexperienced driver is behind the wheel. you can guess how many of them pay for the additional insurance to cover things like this - especially to the extent necessary to cover the driver in the case of something like "ignored multiple warnings that the vehicle was overheight". it is also very likely the city would bill the driver for cleanup as well in addition to an dumbass fees for hitting the bridge in the first place. if a driver doesn't hit the bridge but stops and gets stuck, and needs to call the police to stop traffic to help them turn around, that can incur a fee as well

in terms of the vehicle itself, if the impact is low speed and the box covering itself is the only thing damaged - this bit is relatively cheap. it's just a wooden frame and some thin metal or plastic covering. this is part of why it comes apart so easily, a box truck is really just a flat bed truck with a cheap shed built on top to keep the weather out. if the truck is going fast enough to get jolted and then some damage is done to the wheels or suspension though...

in all cases the driver would assume the bulk of the costs, and if they are driving for a company then the company may be liable as well. if it's just some person who rented a truck though, they're looking at thousands of dollars in fees and fines

e: honestly, i wouldn't surprised if truck rental joints in the area didn't have specific warnings about the 11'8 bridge. "driving through here? watch out for this loving bridge!"

The last time I rented from Penske, there is a specific rider that says you will cover all costs of repair if you hit a bridge. Insurance does not cover it. Your own insurance will not cover it. It's about $2,500-$5,000 to fix in general.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Has there been any info leaking out about the sequence of events that led to them running aground?

The post from the folks after them saying that Ever Given cut them off going in seems ... insufficient? ... to explain the later chain of events, since I assume that those ships are always in a hurry all the time and doing that any time they can get away with it. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

maybe Egypt should just play ball and make the canal wider finally?

how hard can it be

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Blue On Blue posted:

maybe Egypt should just play ball and make the canal wider finally?

how hard can it be

Looks like they already have an excavator on site and everything

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

There’s a container ship blocking the Suez Canal and making the world seven thousand kilometres larger.

https://twitter.com/rmcfadzean/status/1374457942099980295

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1374515642339004417

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

So this question is :nsa: as gently caress, but what's stopping some bad actor from doing something like this deliberately? Suppose the son of some Saudi family that made billions off their construction firm decides he wants to get into terrorism, and buys some clapped out ship, turns it sideways in Suez, and blows a couple holes in the bottom. It seems like there should be something to prevent that other than assuming the good intentions of everyone involved.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

loving lmfao if the ship got stuck somehow because the captain wanted to draw a dick

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

LostCosmonaut posted:

So this question is :nsa: as gently caress, but what's stopping some bad actor from doing something like this deliberately? Suppose the son of some Saudi family that made billions off their construction firm decides he wants to get into terrorism, and buys some clapped out ship, turns it sideways in Suez, and blows a couple holes in the bottom. It seems like there should be something to prevent that other than assuming the good intentions of everyone involved.

yeah but the suez canal is so important you'd probably have a crew of hundreds of dudes out there to clean it up in a day or so. Maybe if they filled a tanker with concrete or something they could block it up for a while lol

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

LostCosmonaut posted:

in like 15 years, we'll find out this was a mossad operation to board and sabotage a ship bound for iran, lol

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

LostCosmonaut posted:

I think they could get the ship out of there pretty quickly if they didn't care about keeping it intact

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
^^^^

All they really need is to get enough room for one ship to safely pass and then they can leisurely (but still quickly) remove the rest of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LostCosmonaut posted:

Nothing.

The Six‐Day War closed the canal for seven years.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
As if worldwide logistics weren’t hosed enough already

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nenonen posted:

Correction, I remembered wrong: the older Tu-22 had downward firing seats. The old cockpit was really poorly designed, you could barely see outside and it was designed to accommodate supersonic flight, everything else was secondary. The engines were also behind and above the cockpit, so there's that... The modernized 22M replaced the cockpit with a new one and placed the turbines in the wings.

I know we just talked about all the dangerous stuff about the F-104, but did we forget to mention that the early models had downward-firing seats to prevent an ejecting pilot being transected by the horizontal stabilizer?

If you were close to the ground you were supposed to roll inverted before ejecting.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Suez sideways reminds me of this classic:

Big ships are so drat big. When they're out at sea, they seem normal because you don't get a true sense of scale. Put them near (or on) land and suddenly you realise how goddamn huge they are.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Big ships are so drat big. When they're out at sea, they seem normal because you don't get a true sense of scale. Put them near (or on) land and suddenly you realise how goddamn huge they are.

I thought this was two separate images for a second. Wild.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

haveblue posted:

As if worldwide logistics weren’t hosed enough already

My fuckin Amazon order is on that boat!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Platystemon posted:

Nothing.

The Six‐Day War closed the canal for seven years.

I mean, it was because of diplomacy, not because of physical blockage of the canal.

Edit: I'm incorrect.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 24, 2021

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Uthor posted:

I mean, it was because of diplomacy, not because of physical blockage of the canal.

Egypt physically blocked the canal.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

There was a train accident hereabouts last April when a piece of a bridge fell off.

Conductor died unfortunately.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoastBeef posted:

And it was a serious undertaking to clear it, taking more than a year after the diplomatic issues were resolved.

Now, Egypt could more thoroughly block the canal than any third-party is capable of, but still, the canal has been out of commission for a long time in the past, and it could happen again.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My eyes absolutely cannot parse the front of that ship, it's like a snail with eyes looking at the camera and going DOOT DOOT with its weird ship mouth. It looks entirely asymmetrical. Am I losing my mind?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

RoastBeef posted:

Ah, my bad. I misunderstood the situation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I saw we hook up a big ol’ chain between the Ever Given and one of the other large ships in the area. Start with a slack chain built speed

Maybe eighty thousand tonnes of inertia can do what the tugboats cannot.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Platystemon posted:

And it was a serious undertaking to clear it, taking more than a year after the diplomatic issues were resolved.

Now, Egypt could more thoroughly block the canal than any third-party is capable of, but still, the canal has been out of commission for a long time in the past, and it could happen again.

15 ships were transiting when they did it. They ended up sitting there a good long while. Thankfully they could swap out the crews.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suez_Canal posted:

Today's blockade of the canal would not only cause great damage to the global economy, but also to Egypt itself. In 2009 alone, the state received almost $4.3 billion in fees from shipping companies whose ships passed the Suez Canal. This is one of the reasons why Egypt tries to make the passage attractive so that the canal can attract additional ships that previously used other routes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

My eyes absolutely cannot parse the front of that ship, it's like a snail with eyes looking at the camera and going DOOT DOOT with its weird ship mouth. It looks entirely asymmetrical. Am I losing my mind?

You're not losing your mind. The front of the ship isn't symmetrical. It looks like the prow, if it's called that, is off center and more on the left side of the ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Drake