Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Joey Freshwater posted:

Got the offer and sending it back. This place's benefits are ridiculous

- Unlimited PTO
- Daily Catered Lunch (whenever we go back to the office)
- Employee Resource Groups
- Monthly Book program
- Med/Dent/Vision 100% for me, 90% for dependents
- WFH stipend to pay for internet etc
- Online marketplace to buy stuff for use at home i.e. desk, chair, monitors etc
- 401K matching
- Equity in the company in RSUs
- Paid membership to the gym in the building (which is only a 10 minute drive vs. 45-1hr drive now)

It's a 39% raise on my base with a quarterly bonus based on the net rev of my team, which I don't have at my current place, and they're giving me a signing bonus.

Someone just pinch me already, god drat dream job

This is amazing and I'm extremely loving jealous happy for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Jackbox Tonight at the Normal Time (10 minutes from now).

https://discord.gg/6GCfNAae

I’m gonna be late but someone else should be able to stream like usual.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I got the unlimited PTO situation which I do like as its one less thing to track and you never have to second guess calling out sick. I'm not a big vacation guy so I tend not to use it but instead just work 30-35hr weeks instead so it balances out.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Unlimited pto can be bad, but most places I’ve worked at aren’t bholes about it. I take 4 to 6 weeks off a year and encourage my directs to do similarly. PTO is up to my discretion as a manager and I’ve never said no and often times have to push my guys to take time off.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Neil Armbong posted:

Unlimited pto can be bad, but most places I’ve worked at aren’t bholes about it. I take 4 to 6 weeks off a year and encourage my directs to do similarly. PTO is up to my discretion as a manager and I’ve never said no and often times have to push my guys to take time off.

A lot of people on my team are taking PTO only because they're maxed out and it's become a "use it or lose it" scenario for them :(

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

seiferguy posted:

I had barely used my PTO for my last job (COVID kind of helped with that), and got it paid out as part of my severance. It was extremely nice.

This is a key part. If there is any time accrued payout then that effects the company's books. So they have to behave as though the 80,000 hours of time off their employees have will be payed out at the same time because in theory it could. Unlimited PTO means zero PTO in terms of payouts. Add to that the ability to encourage limited usage through promotions, work culture, general shitiness and unlimited PTO looks a lot more like a total win for the employer at employees expense.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

seiferguy posted:

A lot of people on my team are taking PTO only because they're maxed out and it's become a "use it or lose it" scenario for them :(

This is me currently, I still have like 100ish hours I need to take off before July 1st

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Neil Armbong posted:

If you’re working at an unlimited PTO company please do this for any of your direct reports. It makes such a big difference to the people lower in the ranks when they see higher ups going to bat for them. My boss when I first started where I am was always pushing us to do more at work and, while he never refused a time off request, you could count on some passive aggressive sniping before and after your time. Now that I’m in that position I tell my team to take off when they need to and will check in if I notice that someone hasn’t taken off in a bit. Be the change and all that.

I feel really bad for the people itt who feel like they can’t take time off because they’re going to suffer before or after because of it - that sort of intense workload is indicative of a company that can’t staff effectively IMO. Productivity per hour worked has like quadrupled since the 40s and yet we’re working more and more people to the bone to squeeze out every extra dime.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If I got unlimited PTO I’d lose my job within 3 months.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I have like 245 hours of annual leave accrued but it just accumulates til I use it or a get fired or I quit.

I dont mind it as a safety net in case something bad happens but I plan on using a little more this year. Sucks because I'd been saving it up to travel and then got covidded.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I left my job with my vacation time maxed and got a big fuckin payout so that was nice

But I also haven't had an actual vacation since like 2015 and that was to visit an ex's family so...

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I left my last job with 100 plus hours if PTO on the books. Sadly I'd only worked there 2 years and you needed 5 to be vested in your own leave to get paid out.

Kill the bosses folks.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Neil Armbong posted:

My 3 weeks paid seem paltry now.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I left my last job with 100 plus hours if PTO on the books. Sadly I'd only worked there 2 years and you needed 5 to be vested in your own leave to get paid out.

Kill the bosses folks.

How does that work? The whole basis of unlimited PTO is that they don't have to keep the money they owe for that in escrow like they do with accrued PTO. I was at companies that switched to avoid the liability on their books.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 24, 2021

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I started watching this Qanon documentary on HBO, and this might be a mistake for my mental health.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If I got unlimited PTO I’d lose my job within 3 months.

If my office got unlimited PTO it'd close for lack of staffing.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

CannonFodder posted:

My 3 weeks paid seem paltry now.

Beats my two :v:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
If we retire with 300+ hours of sick/annual leave, you get that as a payout, and the rest gets added to your time to calculate your pension. Right now I have about 1000 hours of annual and 2000 hours of sick. Right now if I don't use that I have almost 1.5 years added. But I usually take off 3-4 weeks a year anyway, but we get K-time instead of overtime, so that gets used too when we have to work over.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I started watching this Qanon documentary on HBO, and this might be a mistake for my mental health.

I made it through like 20 minutes and thought to myself I really don't want to watch this. I'll give it another shot eventually, it's supposed to be good at what it does I think according to people who have gone down this rabbit hole to report on the whole thing from the beginning if I have that right?

But man the first couple who totally bought in made me either want to punch something or cry.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
A question for all of you talking about having triple digit hours of unused PTO just sitting around: Did y’all never take extra days off for years or just earn it at a kinda high rate or what?

I have trouble imagining building up that much PTO, but admittedly I only just got out of retail where we didn’t get weekends and/or holidays off like the rest of the world, so using PTO basically as fast as it accrued or you built up enough to cover a few days was how almost everyone did it, or mixing it with UTO. Every place I’ve been maxed out at 80 hours of PTO before it’d automatically pay out or you’d lose it, but to get to 80 hours meant you didn’t use any of it for a full year. I know that people can do that sort of stuff, for example my mom built up so much PTO/sick time that after I was born and her maternity leave ended, she still was getting paid nearly a year later without having gone in a single day, but that was 30~ years ago when stuff could be built up forever. Like, even now going into a Mon-Fri 8-5 job with the normal holidays off, I still can’t imagine not using some of my PTO here and there throughout the year...

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Neil Armbong posted:

How does that work? The whole basis of unlimited PTO is that they don't have to keep the money they owe to that in escrow like they due with accrued PTO. I was at companies that switched to avoid the liability on their books.

Virginia is a right to work state and I was moving across country so didn't have the resources/time to take them to court. It was probably legal considering they were a quasi governmental organization but I have no idea how.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1374566416138055683?s=19

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Best part of my current company is I started with 3 weeks paid, 2 floating and 40 sick. Not great compared to some but way loving better than most.

Also can't remember who said it now but I also hear jawas whenever I see rotini

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

fartknocker posted:

A question for all of you talking about having triple digit hours of unused PTO just sitting around: Did y’all never take extra days off for years or just earn it at a kinda high rate or what?

I have trouble imagining building up that much PTO, but admittedly I only just got out of retail where we didn’t get weekends and/or holidays off like the rest of the world, so using PTO basically as fast as it accrued or you built up enough to cover a few days was how almost everyone did it, or mixing it with UTO. Every place I’ve been maxed out at 80 hours of PTO before it’d automatically pay out or you’d lose it, but to get to 80 hours meant you didn’t use any of it for a full year. I know that people can do that sort of stuff, for example my mom built up so much PTO/sick time that after I was born and her maternity leave ended, she still was getting paid nearly a year later without having gone in a single day, but that was 30~ years ago when stuff could be built up forever. Like, even now going into a Mon-Fri 8-5 job with the normal holidays off, I still can’t imagine not using some of my PTO here and there throughout the year...

For me, the rate built up over time from 4 hours to 8, but every two weeks I get 8 (rounded up) hours of sick leave and 8 hours of annual leave. If you work overtime, you get k-time instead of money, but you can use that in place of annual leave when you want to take off. So being in IT, I usually have some K-time to spare and I use it instead of annual leave.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm watching it and everyone is profoundly, confidently stupid.

https://youtu.be/_dS05dwpCJw

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Jackbox got weird.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Who wants to watch Ordinary Sausage waste a $200 A5 wagyu ribeye on making a sausage with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYhU_nL0_m4

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

fartknocker posted:

I never got that high since the max is 7 days at my job so 56 hours but I tend to try to carry over the max just in case

last year the end of the year snuck up on me and I had to take the final three weeks of December off just to get down to carrying 7 days so I didn't lose anything

e: last year's kind of a special case though cause where are you gonna go if you take time off

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 24, 2021

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

v late, but this looks like it's an enlarged section of radiatori

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 24, 2021

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

Who wants to watch Ordinary Sausage waste a $200 A5 wagyu ribeye on making a sausage with it?

I tried dry-aging a $60 ribeye in my fridge since March 3, had to move it from the crisper drawer (where I've sucessfully dry aged beef before) to another refrigerator drawer to make space, and it started growing mold. I just threw it out tonight. :negative:

Checked online and theoretically I could've washed the crap off with white vinegar but the smell was so bad I'm still having some physical reaction.

I think this will be the impetus to get a small dorm-sized refrigerator, fan, and humidifier to set up a dedicated dry-aging rig in my garage.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

How did you dry age it? You didn't use the bags?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I would quite enjoy unlimited pto, or just more pto than I currently have.

Oh well :)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I've had success using just the crisper drawer in my refrigerator. the other drawer didn't promote airflow and I suspect despite the best of my abilities, mold somehow got in. I thoroughly cleaned my entire refrigerator with a bleach cleaner spray before starting this dry-aging process, and I've had success before (though all attempts were with the meat in the crisper).

To add insult to injury I went total vegan for Lent as a way to restart my nutrition goals for the year and that steak was going to be my Easter treat. Now I got about 10 days with no prize at the end. :sigh:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Man, gently caress you Garak

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

a neat cape posted:

Man, gently caress you Garak

Surprisingly not helpful on what episode or even season this sentiment occured.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Its Rinaldo posted:

Surprisingly not helpful on what episode or even season this sentiment occured.

The Die is Cast

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Oh yeah that makes sense

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Obviously lure it outside with the other half of the turkey.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Being Not in the United States, things are obviously a bit different. being a European/Japanese company as well we have some blended features that are even different to even my wife's company.

• lots of major companies have clauses for full-time employees that the first X hours of overtime every month don't count towards overtime. I think this is slowly going away, but even my wife's work has that. And it's usually in the tens of hours, too.
  • My company only allows overtime when it's scheduled/aligned with the upper management of that division. Otherwise, you have to be at 0 overtime for the month. Fortunately, you can be under by quite a bit, and it effectively carries over month to month, so knocking off early or taking a spot day or half-day off using 'under' time is encouraged.
  • I started with 16 vacation days to use/year and am now over 20/year, with a certain amount carrying over.
  • Japanese government requires full-time employees to take minimum 5 days of vacation a year, and public holidays in our calendar don't count

the funny thing is last year I had to really stretch to make 5 days of vacation days off...because we had a lot of furlough days thanks to COVID. And I still had to take furlough days off even earlier this year, too.

being a union employee in an automaker may not pay the best in the world but it sure is pretty secure in a lot of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Intruder posted:

Is his schtick supposed to be deliberately annoying, like a 40% Gilbert Gottfried